• Leave Before - Leave Now
    • Leave Before - Remain Now
    • Leave Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Remain Before - Remain Now
    • Remain Before - Leave Now
    • Remain Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Leave Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Remain Now
    • I've never been bothered - Why am I on this Thread?
    • No second Ref - 2016 was Definitive and Binding

By "sensible people" you mean people that don't give a rat's arse about democracy...

You do appear to be a loudmouth with little ability to understand the realities of Brexit but never mind if you are wealthy it wont matter to you but if you are not then you will probably regret your decision not to be sensible.

Looks like good news on the passport front...

https://order-order.com/2018/03/22/victory-global-britain-franco-dutch-blue-passports-deal-saves-taxpayers-50-million/

Twitter Remainers and a few protectionist Brexiteers seem to think the contract for blue passports going to a Franco-Dutch company is a bad thing. It seems like good news to Guido and anyone who believes in free trade. Remainers have spent the last 21 months claiming Brexit Britain would be an inward-looking nation and that trade with the EU would suffer. What better symbolism to dispel that nonsense than having the French and Dutch make our new blue passports? Remainers also lied that the new passports would cost an extra half a billion quid, despite there being no extra cost. In fact, it appears Gemalto won the contract by bidding to do it for £50 million less than their British rival. This is obviously a win for the taxpayer and should be welcomed by anyone who wants value for money. It is certainly odd to see Remainers like Tom Brake using jingoistic language about “foreign companies”. More evidence Britain will enjoy a strong trade relationship with Europe, despite Brexit…

;)

Shame the rest of the swivel-eyed jihadists on that thread aren't so open-minded - just from a quick glance, you find headbangers blaming EU procurement rules for awarding the contract to foreigners; others suspecting hidden subsidies; others still fantasising about telling the EU to go whistle which would make the £50m savings look like peanuts; and still others fretting about all the migrants and refugees being trafficked over here by NGOs without a passport, blue or otherwise. I'd wager Grenfell gets a mention too.

You're a funny bunch, to put it lightly :smug:

Edited by shurlock

Good news for those that support free trade! It is probably worth repeating part of the first sentence of this marathon thread, where I posted:

...the best option for the UK, should we leave the EU, (is) focusing on free trade deals. To me, this is the most important thing to get right.

Good news for those that support free trade! It is probably worth repeating part of the first sentence of this marathon thread, where I posted:

On the day that Trump announces plans to impose new tariffs on $50bn to $60bn in annual imports from China. You are literally wrong about everything JJ. Christ knows how you manage it :lol:

On the day that Trump announces plans to impose new tariffs on $50bn to $60bn in annual imports from China. You are literally wrong about everything JJ. Christ knows how you manage it :lol:

Well this is obviously disappointing for the jihadist betting wing on here. Looks like buck tooth tim could win.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/mar/22/brexit-britain-norway-theresa-may-transition-deal

Well this is obviously disappointing for the jihadist betting wing on here. Looks like buck tooth tim could win.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/mar/22/brexit-britain-norway-theresa-may-transition-deal

Yeah, I'm really disappointed :rolleyes:

Rejoin EFTA in the meantime, then. You should remember EFTA, Whitey. I still have the stamps. Here is the free trade agreements they have and none of it involves kowtowing to Brussels, only filling in an application form:

fta-map-1900-1.jpg

Keep up numbnuts...

What because Jenkins thinks so, must be true then. An opinion piece by a rabid remainer thats all it is. There is absolutely zero chance of any government of this country accepting free movement. Having twice voted to stay out of the EU, there’s a lot to admire about the Norwegians, but any deal that continues with free movement is dead in the water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"

HM Treasury analysis: The Immediate Economic Impact of Leaving the EU

I am grateful to Professor Sir Charles Bean, one of our country's foremost economists and a former Deputy Governor of the Bank of England, who has reviewed this analysis and says that it “provides reasonable estimates of the likely size of the short-term impact of a vote to leave on the UK economy." The analysis in this document comes to a clear central conclusion: a vote to leave would represent an immediate and profound shock to our economy. That shock would push our economy into a recession and lead to an increase in unemployment of around 500,000, GDP would be 3.6% smaller, average real wages would be lower, inflation higher, sterling weaker, house prices would be hit and public borrowing would rise compared with a vote to remain.

These findings sit within the range of what is now an overwhelming weight of published estimates for this short-term impact, which all find that UK GDP would be lower following a vote to leave. The analysis also presents a downside scenario, finding that the shock could be much more profound, meaning the effect on the economy would be worse still. The rise in uncertainty could be amplified, the volatility in financial markets more tumultuous, and the extent of the impact to living standards more acute. In this severe scenario, GDP would be 6% smaller, there would be a deeper recession, and the number of people made unemployed would rise by around 800,000 compared with a vote to remain. The hit to wages, inflation, house prices and borrowing would be larger. There is a credible risk that this more acute scenario could materialise.

FTSE last 5 years

$ to £

chart?chart_primary_ticker=FX^GBP:USD&chart_time_period=12_month&canvas_colour=000000&primary_chart_colour=CC0000&use_transparency=0&plot_colour=ffffff&cp_line_colour=1F4F82&margin_left=35&margin_bottom=20&margin_right=20&time_24hr=1&tiny_chart=1&tiny_month_view=1&logo_strength=light&y_axis_left=1&x_axis_plain=1&cp_line=1&cp_line_style=dotline&charting_freq=1_minute&co_dimension^width=629&co_dimension^height=190

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone think this thread would have existed if the vote had gone the other way?

What I personally find incredible is that various statistics say that older people voted out and that some or many would be dead by the time the UK leaves. Had any of those thought that when the vote in the 70’s to join the Common Market took place that the old farts who voted to join would be dead?

No wonder the UK is a laughing stock, in stead of pulling together and getting on with it, the people seem to just well....moan on.

Does anyone think this thread would have existed if the vote had gone the other way?

What I personally find incredible is that various statistics say that older people voted out and that some or many would be dead by the time the UK leaves. Had any of those thought that when the vote in the 70’s to join the Common Market took place that the old farts who voted to join would be dead?

No wonder the UK is a laughing stock, in stead of pulling together and getting on with it, the people seem to just well....moan on.

We are a massive nation of moaners and self entitlement. Sadly!

Funnily enough no. Carrying on as before isn’t exactly a lively topic for debate.

Uk is a laughing stock in whose opinion?

Quite a few Europeans I have talked to. Living in amongst Germans, French, Dutch, Swedish and of course Portuguese. Once the vote took place, we need to turn it over and over and over.

I think a lot of Europeans go about their lives quietly, not the Brits. Loud and louder.

Edited by Portugalsaint

Quite a few Europeans I have talked to. Living in amongst Germans, French, Dutch, Swedish and of course Portuguese. Once the vote took place, we need to turn it over and over and over.

I think a lot of Europeans go about their lives quietly, not the Brits. Loud and louder.

There's 35 billion of commerce at stake for the Dutch when Brexit happens, there's not much laughter around here in Holland... ;)

Not nonsense. No link required, doom and gloom in every article written, no proof as we are not there yet.

People who wish to remain cannot accept that some do not. As I said, this thread would not exist if the vote went the other way.

So bull**** then. You can't provide a single link to a remoaner claiming that all the losses would be the UK's.

I'll make it easier for you. Find any such statement on this thread.

It’s not free trade though is it pal. It’s unilateral liberalisation without any assurances that it will be reciprocated by trade partners - not OK for British exporters. By extension you must be fully signed up to freedom of movement for workers as all the jihadist arguments for eliminating tariffs apply equally to removing barriers to FoM (in fact FoM has fewer distributional costs).

Here’s one for you Verbal. Honest to God, Jihadists are you all bloody mad? Are the Brits so stupid as to resort to name calling?. No wonder Europe laugh. Doom and gloom.

Interesting...according to those who wish to remain, the only losers are the UK.

Every European country will lose in some way but surely you can imagine the economy of the UK will be most affected by a "hard" Brexit. When the British government accepts the demands of the EU and freedom of travel and European laws will continue to apply (aka a "soft" Brexit) then what's the point of leaving the EU?

On the other hand: when Merkel & Macron cum suis succeed in ensuring a federal Europe and the EU get to rule on all financial matters the UK might consider themselves lucky afterwards Brexit.

Meanwhile, here in a universe far far away:

Mar 26, 2017,

Deutsche Bank is predicting that the pound sterling will fall down to close to parity with the US dollar and the euro. This is certainly within the realms of possibility as a result of the Brexit process although I'd take it with a pinch of salt myself. Before the referendum there was general agreement that the pound was a bit too high and said general thought is today that it's about right on a trade weighted basis. But FX markets do wander about quite a bit so Deutsche could be right here:

Deutsche Bank has predicted the pound will fall to as low as $1.06 against the dollar due to Brexit. But despite its gloomy outlook, Germany's biggest lender is still pushing ahead with plans to build a new headquarters in London. In one of the most pessimistic forecasts for sterling yet among the world's big banks, they also said it could fall towards parity with the Euro. That would represent a fall of around 15 percent against both the dollar and euro.

No wonder they're in the sh!t....:lol:

_100898936_gbp-usd-nc.16.4.2018.png

Panic over...

@George_Osborne on a Leave vote in 2016:

“Within two years at least half a million jobs would be lost – and that’s the lower end of the estimates, across Britain as many as 820,000 jobs could be lost.”

ONS today: British workforce reaches ANOTHER record high.

@George_Osborne on a Leave vote in 2016:

“Within two years at least half a million jobs would be lost – and that’s the lower end of the estimates, across Britain as many as 820,000 jobs could be lost.”

ONS today: British workforce reaches ANOTHER record high.

That quote referred to the situation two years after Brexit. ie in three years time.

That quote referred to the situation two years after Brexit. ie in three years time.

He said the immediate 2 years after a vote to leave. That was pretty clear.

Prime Minister and Chancellor set out the Treasury’s analysis of the impact on the nation’s economy over the immediate period of two years following a vote to leave.

This analysis shows that such a decision would cause an immediate and profound economic shock across the country, creating instability and uncertainty which would be made worse by the complex negotiations that would follow to agree the terms of Britain’s exit from the EU and its new relationship with the rest of Europe.

Echoing the recent warnings from the independent Bank of England and the International Monetary Fund, the central conclusion of the Treasury’s new analysis is that the effect of this profound shock would be to push the UK into recession and lead to a sharp rise in unemployment.

He said the immediate 2 years after a vote to leave. That was pretty clear.

Prime Minister and Chancellor set out the Treasury’s analysis of the impact on the nation’s economy over the immediate period of two years following a vote to leave.

This analysis shows that such a decision would cause an immediate and profound economic shock across the country, creating instability and uncertainty which would be made worse by the complex negotiations that would follow to agree the terms of Britain’s exit from the EU and its new relationship with the rest of Europe.

Echoing the recent warnings from the independent Bank of England and the International Monetary Fund, the central conclusion of the Treasury’s new analysis is that the effect of this profound shock would be to push the UK into recession and lead to a sharp rise in unemployment.

Fair do's. I based that post on this article which refers to two years after leaving the EU but I just re-read the Treasury forecast (which Osbourne relied on)

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/politics/leaving-the-eu-would-cost-50-000-jobs-in-east-england-osborne-claims-1-4545207

I got that info from the governments own website. You would have thought we would be living off dog food and sleeping with the pigs by now if you read the official line from the government back then.

I know the leave side gets pelters and rightly so in parts but reading some of the actual official information from our own government is hilarious. A hell of a lot worse than suggesting we could spend loads more on the NHS

Edited by Batman

I got that info from the governments own website. You would have thought we would be living off dog food and sleeping with the pigs by now if you read the official line from the government back then.

I know the leave side gets pelters and rightly so in parts but reading some of the actual official information from our own government is hilarious. A hell of a lot worse than suggesting we could spend loads more on the NHS

I haven't looked at the info you are referring to Batman, but were their projections as bad as this?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/apr/18/each-brexit-scenario-will-leave-britain-worse-off-study-finds

Each Brexit scenario will leave Britain worse off, study finds

Global Future finds Theresa May’s preferred bespoke deal would cost £615m a week

Probably put together by an economist, or even worse a professor of economics at some uni

A professor of economics and public policy at King's London, and former senior civil servant.

Good luck with that amateur brain surgeon.

• 2 weeks later...

0.1 %

As the ONS report says :

some impacts on GDP from the snow in the first quarter of 2018 have been recorded for construction and retail sales”

“The fall in retail trade was driven by a decrease in petrol sales. This could be attributed to adverse weather conditions, which impacted on travel”*

“There is some evidence of an impact of the bad weather on construction output… 3.3% fall in construction was the largest downward pull on Q1”

0.1 %

As the ONS report says :

some impacts on GDP from the snow in the first quarter of 2018 have been recorded for construction and retail sales”

“The fall in retail trade was driven by a decrease in petrol sales. This could be attributed to adverse weather conditions, which impacted on travel”*

“There is some evidence of an impact of the bad weather on construction output… 3.3% fall in construction was the largest downward pull on Q1”

Are you another one of guido's fluffers? :lol:

As the ONS also notes, "while the snow had some impact, particularly in construction and some areas of retail, its overall effect was limited with the bad weather actually boosting energy supply and online sales".

Try thinking for yourself pal.

0.1 %

As the ONS report says :

"Some".

As we all know, the Beast from the East somehow landed on Britain alone, leaping clean over Holland, Germany and France, all of which did far better than us for the last quarter, as they have done for the last five quarters.

While the EU powers ahead, we're 0.1% off of a recession.

"Some".

As we all know, the Beast from the East somehow landed on Britain alone, leaping clean over Holland, Germany and France, all of which did far better than us for the last quarter, as they have done for the last five quarters.

While the EU powers ahead, we're 0.1% off of a recession.

Yes and the countries that regularly have snow have specific laws, like mandatory winter tyres.

They also can afford to spend money on what is, for them,annual occurrences. It would be wrong for us to spend on infrastructure for snow when it occurs once or twice a decade. We have to wing it.

Yes and the countries that regularly have snow have specific laws, like mandatory winter tyres.

They also can afford to spend money on what is, for them,annual occurrences. It would be wrong for us to spend on infrastructure for snow when it occurs once or twice a decade. We have to wing it.

You should know when to stop digging.

Whatever your Brexit views its surely preferable to have Parliament decide than Ministers
No, it is just a nonsense. It is only a time wasting sheme in the hope of reversing the decision. Once you have agreed a negotiated position, I doubt you have any leeway to offer anything in return.

I doubt many of the Brexiteers ever factored in that when we went to India for example to arrange a trade deal that they would come back and tell us that' Yes we will do a deal, but first you need to relax your rules in letting more of our people to enter the UK. So the anti immigration part of Brexit immediately is nullified with different immigrants coming in

• Lighthouse changed the title to Brexit - Post Match Reaction