• Leave Before - Leave Now
    • Leave Before - Remain Now
    • Leave Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Remain Before - Remain Now
    • Remain Before - Leave Now
    • Remain Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Leave Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Remain Now
    • I've never been bothered - Why am I on this Thread?
    • No second Ref - 2016 was Definitive and Binding

You actually think that? I thought you were just in the camp of "it won't be any worse". You actually think we'll be thriving? You are a ****ing nutjob mate.

You do realise how large Canada is don't you? Where we plan to move to, we will still be over 2000 miles from them (compared to 3500 from the ones in the UK).

Anyway, nothing to worry about here for you, I'm just starting the process.

You really have no idea at all, do you? What gave you the impression that I was in the camp of "it couldn't be any worse"? I have wanted to leave since Maastricht. I have always believed since then that it would be better for us outside the EU. There is absolutely no reason at all why we shouldn't thrive as a nation post-Brexit provided that we take the right political steps on trade, taxation, immigration, investment in our economy, etc. I expect that you thought the same thing when we decided to leave the ERM and not to join the Eurozone, but we seem to have done really quite well since then.

Happy to inform you that I do know how big Canada is, having been to Vancouver and Toronto. It seemed a reasonable assumption having guessed that you were talking about Canada instead of Amsterdam, that you might have been planning to live near your family there.

No, he didn't. This is a lie, put about by the Remoaner press as part of their campaign to discredit one of the people they fear most on the Leave side.

If you bothered to read what he actually said, instead of being gullible enough to accept this propaganda at face value, he said “The overwhelming opportunity for Brexit is over the next 50 years.”

Rees-Mogg: “We will know at some point, of course we will. But it’s a question of timescale.”

Guru-Murthy: “So how long have you got?”

Rees-Mogg: “We won’t know the full economic consequences for a very long time, we really won’t.”

Guru-Murthy: “Of course not, but I mean we’ll have an indication. We’ll know if there’s been chaos, we’ll know if there have been job losses.”

Rees-Mogg: “The overwhelming opportunity for Brexit is over the next 50 years.”

Just think, had Dominic Grieve not insisted on a meaningful vote the ERG wouldn’t have any leverage over May. That, and Miller going to court to ensure Parliament triggered A50, have turned out to be 2 very helpful events for Brexiters. When we’re out, I’ll raise a glass to both of them.

Tonight I’ll spare a thought for Pixie Cooper, not only did she lose her vote, she’s got to go home to Ed Balls.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It’ll be an empty glass unless you future proofed your income.

You really have no idea at all, do you? What gave you the impression that I was in the camp of "it couldn't be any worse"? I have wanted to leave since Maastricht. I have always believed since then that it would be better for us outside the EU. There is absolutely no reason at all why we shouldn't thrive as a nation post-Brexit provided that we take the right political steps on trade, taxation, immigration, investment in our economy, etc. I expect that you thought the same thing when we decided to leave the ERM and not to join the Eurozone, but we seem to have done really quite well since then.

Happy to inform you that I do know how big Canada is, having been to Vancouver and Toronto. It seemed a reasonable assumption having guessed that you were talking about Canada instead of Amsterdam, that you might have been planning to live near your family there.

Interesting fact Les: the pound has devalued by more than 20% versus the euro since the latter’s inception twenty years ago.

#humblebrag

Yep, I thought exactly that about the ERM, when I was 7. I was arguing the advantages to my Year 3 teacher in the New Forest.

The reason I thought you were in that camp is because there are very few sane people out there that actually believe it will be better.

I thought you were stupid - I didn't think you were insane.

Interesting fact Les: the pound has devalued by more than 20% versus the euro since the latter’s inception twenty years ago.

Indeed. In 1999, one of our great British Pounds was worth around 1.40 of those pesky, faltering Euros.

Fast forward twenty years, and that same pound is worth just 1.15 of them.

It's been a marvelous, overwhelming victory for our great British Pound.

20 is a good number. Inward investment into the UK since the referendum has declined by almost 20%. Inward investment into the services sector - which makes up 80% of the British economy - has seen a much steeper fall of 25%.

I wonder which sector Tender works in?

20 is a good number. Inward investment into the UK since the referendum has declined by almost 20%. Inward investment into the services sector - which makes up 80% of the British economy - has seen a much steeper fall of 25%.

I wonder which sector Tender works in?

I thought he worked in a benefits office.

#humblebrag

Yep, I thought exactly that about the ERM, when I was 7. I was arguing the advantages to my Year 3 teacher in the New Forest.

The reason I thought you were in that camp is because there are very few sane people out there that actually believe it will be better.

I thought you were stupid - I didn't think you were insane.

I think that it's a good idea that you bugger off out of the UK, seeing as how you have such a low opinion of 17.4 million of our citizens who voted to leave the EU, presumably on the basis that they thought that we would do better outside of it. Without knowing it just by looking at them, they are all around you. How can you bear the thought of it?

Indeed. In 1999, one of our great British Pounds was worth around 1.40 of those pesky, faltering Euros.

Fast forward twenty years, and that same pound is worth just 1.15 of them.

It's been a marvelous, overwhelming victory for our great British Pound.

It's all right. Those pesky foreigners are going to see their banking system collapse any day now. Deutsche Bank are going to be the first to go. That will teach them to having their own currency.

How do I know this ? Well, that font of all knowledge Guided Missile told me ... back in 2016 ... and 2017 and indeed most months since then. It is going to happen, honest ....any day now.

It's all right. Those pesky foreigners are going to see their banking system collapse any day now. Deutsche Bank are going to be the first to go. That will teach them to having their own currency.

How do I know this ? Well, that font of all knowledge Guided Missile told me ... back in 2016 ... and 2017 and indeed most months since then. It is going to happen, honest ....any day now.

Germany, France, Italy, Ireland

ALL DOOMED

I think that it's a good idea that you bugger off out of the UK, seeing as how you have such a low opinion of 17.4 million of our citizens who voted to leave the EU, presumably on the basis that they thought that we would do better outside of it. Without knowing it just by looking at them, they are all around you. How can you bear the thought of it?

It must be the same as the way you look at foreigners..(or is it just Arabs and Jews)?

Yes, it does annoy me that I have to share oxygen with you mouth breathers, but that's life. I am sure there are multiple racists, pedophiles and murderers that I also have share my air with without knowing. It's part of the human experience. We're not happy with it but unless I'm going to live on an island with just my nearest and dearest I can't get away from any of it.

What do you do when you realise someone is a Jew? Do you spit on them, give them directions to Auschwitz, or just sneer at them internally and carry on with your life?

Edited by Unbelievable Jeff

It must be the same as the way you look at foreigners..(or is it just Arabs and Jews)?

Yes, it does annoy me that I have to share oxygen with you mouth breathers, but that's life. I am sure there are multiple racists, pedophiles and murderers that I also have share my air with without knowing. It's part of the human experience. We're not happy with it but unless I'm going to live on an island with just my nearest and dearest I can't get away from any of it.

What do you do when you realise someone is a Jew? Do you spit on them, give them directions to Auschwitz, or just sneer at them internally and carry on with your life?

Here you go again, plumbing the depths of the gutter to insult those who hold a different opinion to you, and even their wives and families, just by association. But if that's the way you are, then you have my pity.

Wouldn't p!ss on a single one of them if they were on fire. In fact, I hope they do spontaneously combust.

Here you go again, plumbing the depths of the gutter to insult those who hold a different opinion to you, and even their wives and families, just by association. But if that's the way you are, then you have my pity.

But it's not jut opinion based is it? That's the point. If that opinion had no bearing on my life I would be a little more blase about it.

However, that opinion is one that has manifested itself into making myself, my family, friends and those around me poorer in the long term, with a poorer quality of life, and a lot of them because they're filthy, sniveling racists, like yourself.

That's the issue.

Personally, I have a meeting in half an hour to see if I still have a job due to you people. If I lose my job - so be it, there are far more people who are worse off than me that have been affected by Brexit. But what you are failing to understand is that people like you voted to leave the EU because of your little-Englander ideals, and it is having a quite massive negative affect on those that voted Remain. So I'm sorry if I insult you and your kind, but those that sit here and maintain all is fine are talking from their selfish, I'm alright Jack, ivory towers.

Truth is though this country will be better off when the war / post war false nostalgia brexit generation are gone. Trying to turn a modern globalised economy back to a time which no longer exists is the triumph of emotion over cognition.

But it's not jut opinion based is it? That's the point. If that opinion had no bearing on my life I would be a little more blase about it.

However, that opinion is one that has manifested itself into making myself, my family, friends and those around me poorer in the long term, with a poorer quality of life, and a lot of them because they're filthy, sniveling racists, like yourself.

That's the issue.

Personally, I have a meeting in half an hour to see if I still have a job due to you people. If I lose my job - so be it, there are far more people who are worse off than me that have been affected by Brexit. But what you are failing to understand is that people like you voted to leave the EU because of your little-Englander ideals, and it is having a quite massive negative affect on those that voted Remain. So I'm sorry if I insult you and your kind, but those that sit here and maintain all is fine are talking from their selfish, I'm alright Jack, ivory towers.

Les would happily see you lose your job - that's the price of freedom.

And people to lose their lives due to a shortage of drugs, food, or contravention of the GFA.

But at least we won't have to opt-out from being in an EU army.

I wont go hungry post Brexit, most of my shopping is local, and the stuff that is not local I can do with out. I fail to see how losing out on trade with the EU is such a problem when the same trade can be got at from different countrys that are not in the EU, like most of the world is not.... would be nice to have trade agreements with the common wealth again, sure are good friends from the common wealth will give the UK trade agreements, US will, Canada will, why do you think the EU is some sort of amazing place, its just a cheap poor mans version of the United Sates of America, with just far less natural resources / farm land and so on and so on... Like HELLO WE CAN MAKE ARE OWN TRADE AGREEMENTS AGAIN!!!! that on its own is worth leaving the dam EU.

I wont go hungry post Brexit, most of my shopping is local, and the stuff that is not local I can do with out. I fail to see how losing out on trade with the EU is such a problem when the same trade can be got at from different countrys that are not in the EU, like most of the world is not.... would be nice to have trade agreements with the common wealth again, sure are good friends from the common wealth will give the UK trade agreements, US will, Canada will, why do you think the EU is some sort of amazing place, its just a cheap poor mans version of the United Sates of America, with just far less natural resources / farm land and so on and so on... Like HELLO WE CAN MAKE ARE OWN TRADE AGREEMENTS AGAIN!!!! that on its own is worth leaving the dam EU.

Did you know JWP voted remain?

For some reason, I had you down as a leave voter. I wonder why...

We do not want to be eating food imported from the US - chlorinated chicken anyone?

The problem is that shopping local is OK for those that can afford to - but not everyone is in that boat. They rely on the economies of scale and free trade that the EU offers, and those increase in prices will lead to more food poverty than we already have (which we have a lot of BTW).

Edited by Unbelievable Jeff

This can't honestly be serious? :lol:

To quote another poster - 'what a load of pony'

We do not want to be eating food imported from the US - chlorinated chicken anyone?

The problem is that shopping local is OK for those that can afford to - but not everyone is in that boat. They rely on the economies of scale and free trade that the EU offers, and those increase in prices will lead to more food poverty than we already have (which we have a lot of BTW).

I e actually been quite interested in that chlorinated chicken news. Is there a reason it's seen as OK in the US but frowned on here? I'm not advocating for it I just don't know and I'd be interested in finding out.

I e actually been quite interested in that chlorinated chicken news. Is there a reason it's seen as OK in the US but frowned on here? I'm not advocating for it I just don't know and I'd be interested in finding out.

US believe it reduces salmonella content. I can't remember the exact figures but it's shown to reduce it from 15% down to about 5%.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/may/26/chicken-health-fear-chlorine-washing-fails-bacteria-tests-brexit-salmonella-listeria

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/chlorine-washed-chicken-qa-food-safety-expert-explains-why-us-poultry-is-banned-in-the-eu-a7875131.html

Good explanations here - testing done at Southampton Uni no less.

Aren't you moving to Canada. I think they import food from America, including......chlorinated chicken.

Nigel Farage goes to the Commission , pushing Article 24 of GATT here.

All sounds good to me.

There is an alternative view of Article 24, where it is not the panacea some claim it to be ;

https://tradebetablog.wordpress.com/2018/12/27/myth-of-10-year-grace-period/

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-wto/trade-experts-dismiss-brexiteers-faith-in-obscure-wto-clause-idUSKCN1PH24V

"

“It’s amazing how this awful misinterpretation of Art XXIV GATT won’t die, no matter how many times I point this out,” Lorand Bartels, reader in international law at the University of Cambridge, tweeted in May last year. "

There is an alternative view of Article 24, where it is not the panacea some claim it to be ;

https://tradebetablog.wordpress.com/2018/12/27/myth-of-10-year-grace-period/

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-wto/trade-experts-dismiss-brexiteers-faith-in-obscure-wto-clause-idUSKCN1PH24V

"

“It’s amazing how this awful misinterpretation of Art XXIV GATT won’t die, no matter how many times I point this out,” Lorand Bartels, reader in international law at the University of Cambridge, tweeted in May last year. "

Its not an alternative view. Its the correct, mainstream view. Its been latched onto by cretins who don't know any better (John) and the chancers who know that the cretins don't know any better.

Edited by shurlock

No point showing the loonies that, they only believe in unicorns, not facts.

Tomorrow's Telegraph, numbnuts:

A Whitehall official told The Telegraph that the real reason for the demand was the blackhole that would be left in the EU budget until 2020, which would have to made up with increased payments from the EU-27. A senior UK government source said, ““Not paying a penny is not realistic. A substantial amount of that money is the pensions of British EU civil servants which straight away would be OK to pay.”

Officials would have to scrutinise UK assets in Galileo, institutional funding and EU programmes that Britain had contributed to. But the source ruled out paying EU budget contributions beyond leaving the bloc.

“We are not paying membership dues after giving up membership”, the source said, “I’ll cut to the chase, I think the bill would be about half the £39 billion."

You lot really are suffering from the Stockholm Syndrome, aren't you?

Tomorrow's Telegraph, numbnuts:

"A Whitehall official told The Telegraph that the real reason for the demand was the blackhole that would be left in the EU budget until 2020, which would have to made up with increased payments from the EU-27. A senior UK government source said, ““Not paying a penny is not realistic. A substantial amount of that money is the pensions of British EU civil servants which straight away would be OK to pay.”

Officials would have to scrutinise UK assets in Galileo, institutional funding and EU programmes that Britain had contributed to. But the source ruled out paying EU budget contributions beyond leaving the bloc.

“We are not paying membership dues after giving up membership”, the source said, “I’ll cut to the chase, I think the bill would be about half the £39 billion."

To paraphrase Mandy Rice-Davies - "They would say that, wouldn't they". I would hardly expect the Telegraph to go against the Eurosceptic mantra.

To paraphrase Mandy Rice-Davies - "They would say that, wouldn't they". I would hardly expect the Telegraph to go against the Eurosceptic mantra.

Ah the DT. When I looked on their online pages in the new year. every single article was about Charles Moore demanding/pleading for no-deal Brexit. Imagine if he actually had to write his own views and not have the Barclay Brothers bellowing at him?

So you would pay whatever they demand? Traitorous quisling...

No, I would pay what we are legally required to. ( But for preference I wouldn't be leaving in the first place ).

"Traitorous quisling" ? We haven't been invaded and defeated by an enemy army, so how can I be colluding with an occupying oppressor ? I think if I was to assume your persona for a moment, I would retort with 'blinkered braggart', but I don't think that throwing insults around helps the debate, for either side, so I'll just follow the 'Sticks and stones.." approach, and thank goodness that the nearest I shall probably ever get to you is this forum.

No, I would pay what we are legally required to. ( But for preference I wouldn't be leaving in the first place ).

"Traitorous quisling" ? We haven't been invaded and defeated by an enemy army, so how can I be colluding with an occupying oppressor ? I think if I was to assume your persona for a moment, I would retort with 'blinkered braggart', but I don't think that throwing insults around helps the debate, for either side, so I'll just follow the 'Sticks and stones.." approach, and thank goodness that the nearest I shall probably ever get to you is this forum.

Well clearly you won't bump into him at St Mary's. Home match tonight and the "braggart" is posting about Brexit and getting off on what is written about Brexit in tomorrow's Daily Telegraph. What a strange supporter of the team.

Edited by Tamesaint

The 73-year-old former builder and engineer said he had been lied to by the leave campaign. “They didn’t tell us the true facts. They kept us in the dark like mushrooms and fed us bull****,” he said. “We voted because of immigration and we didn’t realise how poor we would be. It will be terrible but I still want it, because of immigration.”

Sums.it.up

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/30/it-is-terrible-but-i-still-want-it-crewe-voters-size-up-no-deal-brexit

Barclays planning to shift assets of £170bn to Ireland.

Maybe the Irish have a plan after all - huh GM?

https://apple.news/AhY_jfsMcTE2XTl3njLv0HQ

What good is that going to do them? Once the digital tax rules are imposed by the EU, they won't be able to steal US tax dollars any more. Read about it here. The leprechaun economics of the Irish will unravel and they'll be back to the low value economy they've always had.

Oh and Barclays hold over one trillion pounds in capital in the UK, so I make that a shift of less than 17% of other peoples money being strategically moved, not that the Irish will get any of it. They still owe us over £3 billion from the last time we bailed them out.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Brexit - Post Match Reaction