• Leave Before - Leave Now
    • Leave Before - Remain Now
    • Leave Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Remain Before - Remain Now
    • Remain Before - Leave Now
    • Remain Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Leave Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Remain Now
    • I've never been bothered - Why am I on this Thread?
    • No second Ref - 2016 was Definitive and Binding

In fairness, 'deeply divided' applies the Labour too, in relation to Brexit. Here's the excellent Stephen Bush (of the New Statesman but writing in the Standard):

"The difficult truth is that Labour’s official line on Brexit sounds stupid because it is stupid..."

http://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/stephen-bush-divided-labour-hasn-t-a-clue-or-a-clear-leader-on-brexit-a3589501.html

So if a chaotic Brexit happens, which looks highly likely, it will ONLY be because politicians from both main parties are in a state of collective paralysis, a kind of mutually assured destruction, which can't prevent an exit that guarantees wiping out the currency, public finances, and large swathes of the service sector (a mere 80% of the economy).

It will ONLY be because of the referendum result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there a limit to how bad the effects look before our politicians are allowed to use their common sense? Or is it follow the result regardless?

The obvious thing is to hold a second refurendum when the details are clear on how bad or good a deal the Tories have managed to come up with. I'm not sure why so many are against the idea, if May comes up with a good deal then surely it will sail through a second refurendum, if she ****s it all up we have a get out.

Edited by aintforever

So the people voted for a chaotic Brexit ?

Yep, confirmation that Lord Pony has the comprehension skills of a toddler.

Interesting news tonight, after David 'thick as mince' Davis empty-desked Barnier and walked away from heading negotiations after fifteen whole minutes: EU negotiators are saying they will put talks on hold - 'stall them' - until Britain decides it wants to engage seriously in the talks.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-halt-brexit-talks-michel-barnier-brussels-david-davis-a7847641.html

Might it have been a good idea for May et al to work out what they wanted from Brexit before actually starting negotiations?

Tick tock.

Interesting news tonight, after David 'thick as mince' Davis empty-desked Barnier and walked away from heading negotiations after fifteen whole minutes: EU negotiators are saying they will put talks on hold - 'stall them' - until Britain decides it wants to engage seriously in the talks.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-halt-brexit-talks-michel-barnier-brussels-david-davis-a7847641.html

Might it have been a good idea for May et al to work out what they wanted from Brexit before actually starting negotiations?

Tick tock.

Don't fret, Corbo et Al will be taking over the negotiations in a few months.

Tick tock.

Some of the papers are saying Johnson, Davis and Gove have cooked up a plan to behave like such total arses in negotiations that eventually the EU will call a halt. At which point Davis will scream "they're trying to blackmail us with ultimatums" and use that as an excuse for walking out of talks into the hardest of brexits. Its worse than incompetence.

Some of the papers are saying Johnson, Davis and Gove have cooked up a plan to behave like such total arses in negotiations that eventually the EU will call a halt. At which point Davis will scream "they're trying to blackmail us with ultimatums" and use that as an excuse for walking out of talks into the hardest of brexits. Its worse than incompetence.

That's a ****ing great plan, I hope you're right. I didn't think anything would be better than 23rd June, but seeing you snowflakes crying after a WTO Brexit would top that.

That's a ****ing great plan, I hope you're right. I didn't think anything would be better than 23rd June, but seeing you snowflakes crying after a WTO Brexit would top that.

Spoken like a true jihadi.

And when you reach your Brexit Caliphate, and discover it's actually an economic Mosul, here is your god:

http://www.li.com/legatum-institute

This bunch of know-nothings apparently have the undivided attention May and Davis, which accounts, in part at least, for the staggeringly ignorant nonsense that emanates from the Cabinet. Just to be clear, a breakdown in EU talks isn't some magical route to the sunny la la land imagined by Gove - only true-believing Jihadists would believe that.

And when you reach your Brexit Caliphate, and discover it's actually an economic Mosul, here is your god:

http://www.li.com/legatum-institute

This bunch of know-nothings apparently have the undivided attention May and Davis, which accounts, in part at least, for the staggeringly ignorant nonsense that emanates from the Cabinet. Just to be clear, a breakdown in EU talks isn't some magical route to the sunny la la land imagined by Gove - only true-believing Jihadists would believe that.

Jihadists like this?

It's been a long and glorious fight & snowflake remoaners like you need to get your head round it. You're on the wrong side of history on this one I'm afraid. There is only one direction of travel, and that's away from The EU. Even if we get the worst possible outcome, out of the EU, but in The SM/CU, it won't be a staging post for getting back in. Our opt outs will have gone, particularly Schengen & The Euro. With us gone The EU will pursue ever closer union , and more fiscal and monetary union than ever,pushing us further & further away. It won't be long before momentum grows for a complete break. The is no way on earth that the Brits will vote to go back into the EU unless it changes beyond recognition. A Swiss or Norwegian model is unsustainable in the long run.

Instead of banging on about different types of "out". The remoaners should have just concentrated their efforts on staying in, because any sort of out, will be permanent. It won't be long before the SM & CU will be getting as much clog and blame as the EU got. The argument that we never really left and that's why growth has stalled, wages are down & immigration is out of control, will be a powerful one. The people on my side of the argument will make the point that had we left properly, done our own trade deals and controlled immigration, we wouldn't be in the mess we are. What do you think, people are going to say "fair play to The EU, let's get closer to them ", if they give us a shiete deal and we crash into a recession. Or will they blame the EU for it and want to get further away from their SM & CU.

If I was cynical,I'd think that a soft Brexit pretty much gives us leavers a get out of jail free card. It goes well,it proves we were right to leave & can argue it'll go even better if we were fully out. Goes badly, and we'll argue that we should have left properly in the first place. Either way, there's no going back.

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

Evidence that Brexit is indeed already damaging our economy mounts as Morgan Stanley becomes the latest big financial institution to start exporting jobs out of London:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jul/21/brexit-banking-exodus-theresa-may-morgan-stanley

Once a few go, it'll turn into a torrent. The benefits of collocation and agglomeration are too great.

Evidence that Brexit is indeed already damaging our economy mounts as Morgan Stanley becomes the latest big financial institution to start exporting jobs out of London:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jul/21/brexit-banking-exodus-theresa-may-morgan-stanley

Morgan Stanley have actually rented 8,000 sq metres in Frankfurt, so they're clearly planning on far more than a couple of hundred employees moving. But this is just the latest of many such announcements. Bank of America have just announced Dublin as their EU onshore base. Deutsche Bank employees have all been told that the bank is planning on a hard Brexit and so will move 4,000 jobs to Germany from London. Citigroup, UBS, Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan and Standard Chartered have also announced detailed plans to move. Switzerland's largest private bank Julius Baer is planning raids on cheap UK assets (because of the all in the pound) but have decided against setting up shop in London because of Brexit.

In insurance, AIG are off to Luxembourg, Lloyds 'of London' are setting up in Brussels. Hiscox is relocating some staff to Luxembourg.

In private equity, MJ Hudson is off to Luxembourg.

In aviation, both Ryanair and Easyjet are planning moves.

In media, Eurupe's largest media group Bertelsmann is moving some of its UK operations into Europe.

The South African investment group Brait has cancelled a London listing because of Brexit.

BMW is to make the electric Mini outside the UK because of Brexit - in a British car industry that has seen a crash in post-referendum investment.

And so on and on and on. That's all aside from a hugely long list of companies reporting huge downturns in revenues and profits because of Brexit.

So I'm curious - what's the practical evidence of an upside of living in a country with a withering tax base? Perhaps Lord 'Chicks' Pony and fellow members of the economic death cult could tell us. And what's the upside of crippling the services sector in particular - a mere 80% of the British economy - all for a post-EU Brexiphate?

Not according to BMW, announced yesterday:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40718892

#projectfear

The above link clearly states that the electric drive-train in question will be manufactured in Germany and then shipped over to Cowley for installation. So while this is a 'good news story' for our threatened automotive sector in the short term, in the longer term BMW could shift production out of the UK with minimal disruption to their electric vehicle plans.

#projectcoldhardreality

The above link clearly states that the electric drive-train in question will be manufactured in Germany and then shipped over to Cowley for installation. So while this is a 'good news story' for our threatened automotive sector in the short term, in the longer term BMW could shift production out of the UK with minimal disruption to their electric vehicle plans.

#projectcoldhardreality

and the fact that 40% of minis are now made in the Netherlands. It used to be made solely in the UK.

The above link clearly states that the electric drive-train in question will be manufactured in Germany and then shipped over to Cowley for installation.

Up to 2007 mini engines were manufactured in Brazil. The second generation engines were built in France and currently all diesel engines are built in Austria. So if the electric motors are built in Germany and then shipped here for assembly, this is no different to the past minis or present diesel minis.

Granted that the petrol Cooper engines are built here, but they are also built on the continent.

Additional production for the mini in the Netherlands came into place in 2014, which pre-dates the referendum by 2 years.

I guess it just depends on how you want to spin it

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-bmw-mini-netherlands-idUSBREA1G0UL20140217

This goes back to 2014, pre-dating the referendum by 2 years. As I said, I guess it just depends on how you want to spin it

It's not 'spin' to day that investment in electric cars is being moved onshore in the EU following the referendum. That's what's happening. After much lobbying by the government, BMW have allowed the Oxford plant to continue assembling (not manufacturing) Minis. But investment in the real technological cutting edge has been made inside the EU.

Not one of the top-selling plug-in cars has its electric motor assembly made in the UK - in an industry that was until recently producing the second-highest number of assembled cars in Europe. (behind Germany).

It's not 'spin' to day that investment in electric cars is being moved onshore in the EU following the referendum. That's what's happening. After much lobbying by the government, BMW have allowed the Oxford plant to continue assembling (not manufacturing) Minis. But investment in the real technological cutting edge has been made inside the EU.

Not one of the top-selling plug-in cars has its electric motor assembly made in the UK - in an industry that was until recently producing the second-highest number of assembled cars in Europe. (behind Germany).

Easy to see where the investment is needed and it's not in the manufacturing of electric motors, but battery technology. The UK government recently announced £250 million investment in UK battery technology. Who wants a crooked German car company to invest in the UK, when they and their German mates have been ripping off UK customers for years, with their price fixing and false emission tests...

....and I'm sure every true UK patriot will say that the following news from the US is good news for all of us, post-Brexit:

Donald Trump has said he is working on a "major trade deal" with the UK.

The US President tweeted that a bilateral trade agreement with the UK after it leaves the EU in 2019 could be "very big and exciting" for jobs. Mr Trump, who backed Brexit, also took a swipe at the EU accusing it of a "very protectionist" stance to the US

Cue desperate attempts to paint the above in a bad light from the usual snowflakes/suspects...

Lastly, if anyone requires an update on how influential the Heritage Foundation, mentioned in the OP is within the US, read and learn:

Heritage Expert Testifies Before Congress on US-UK Free Trade Agreement

The Anglo–American alliance is a vital partnership that rests upon deep-seated cooperation in defense, trade, intelligence, and a host of other areas stretching from educational exchange to the arts. Britain’s decision to leave the European Union should be viewed as a hugely positive development by Congress because it offers tremendous opportunities for Britain and the United States to strengthen that partnership. The Trump Administration should make a U.S.–U.K. free trade deal a foreign policy priority. There is already strong support on Capitol Hill for a free trade agreement

Definitely, lastly, this news sums up the whole rotten, German dominated EU:

VW asks EU to scrutinize German car makers

The decision by VW to lift the veil on behavior it thinks could have been illegal was part of an effort by management to review past practices and invite closer scrutiny by authorities after a diesel emissions-cheating scandal engulfed the company.

The German car maker's new management, installed after the diesel scandal, discovered documents during the course of a German antitrust investigation into steel price-fixing in 2016 it thought might constitute collusion by companies including VW, BMW, Porsche, Audi, and Daimler.

In a letter sent to the European Commission in mid-2016, Volkswagen provided details of years of discussions between car makers to find common positions on a range of technologies, including the diesel emissions systems at the center of the emissions-cheating scandal, the person, a high-ranking auto industry executive, said on condition of anonymity.

Under intense scrutiny in the wake of the diesel scandal, Volkswagen decided to let antitrust authorities make the determination. By offering itself as a whistleblower, Volkswagen could also be hoping for leniency in the event that Brussels rules against the German car industry.

Volkswagen admitted in 2015 to rigging nearly 11 million diesel engines world-wide to cheat emissions tests and pleaded guilty in 2016 to conspiracy to defraud the U.S. government and U.S. consumers. The company agreed to pay more than $22 billion in fines, penalties and compensation for consumers.

The European Commission declined to comment and it remains unclear if an investigation into anticompetitive behavior by the participants is under way, or if it will ever be launched. :lol:

In my opinion, there will definitely be a fine, to avoid an investigation into German car makers. Hopefully the fine will help offset any exit bill the EU expect from the UK. F*** 'em, I say....

Definitely, lastly, this news sums up the whole rotten, German dominated EU:

In my opinion, there will definitely be a fine, to avoid an investigation into German car makers. Hopefully the fine will help offset any exit bill the EU expect from the UK. F*** 'em, I say....

Careful. That could be libellous. Especially if you're a ****ed empty blowhard

....and I'm sure every true UK patriot will say that the following news from the US is good news for all of us, post-Brexit:

Cue desperate attempts to paint the above in a bad light from the usual snowflakes/suspects...

The problem is that Trump has constantly stated that any such deal must be on the US' s terms and to their benefit. ( Plus he's a complete idiot ).

Up to 2007 mini engines were manufactured in Brazil. The second generation engines were built in France and currently all diesel engines are built in Austria. So if the electric motors are built in Germany and then shipped here for assembly, this is no different to the past minis or present diesel minis.

Granted that the petrol Cooper engines are built here, but they are also built on the continent.

Additional production for the mini in the Netherlands came into place in 2014, which pre-dates the referendum by 2 years.*

I guess it just depends on how you want to spin it

The fact that the modern motor industry is a highly international one with few (if any) vehicles assembled from components sourced from within a single county is well understood. Equally comprehensible I would have thought is the prospect that crashing out of the EU Single Market in the so called "hard Brexit" manner some extremists seem to favour leaves British industry facing a extremely difficult problem exporting to what are by far its biggest markets. If we end up with government having to subsidise industry again, to compensate for a new tariff regime with the EU27 perhaps, then where is the money to come from? If this kind of stuff doesn't worry you then you just don't understand the issue here.

This has nothing to do with your 'project fear' or the dark art of spinning - that is the situation we now face.

The fact that the modern motor industry is a highly international one with few (if any) vehicles assembled from components sourced from within a single county is well understood. Equally comprehensible I would have thought is the prospect that crashing out of the EU Single Market in the so called "hard Brexit" manner some extremists seem to favour leaves British industry facing a extremely difficult problem exporting to what are by far its biggest markets. If we end up with government having to subsidise industry again, to compensate for a new tariff regime with the EU27 perhaps, then where is the money to come from? If this kind of stuff doesn't worry you then you just don't understand the issue here.

This has nothing to do with your 'project fear' or the dark art of spinning - that is the situation we now face.

so true and thats the reality of it but unfortunelly some of the dreamers still have not grasped reality and retreat in a make believe world,and has someone who remembers when we could not compete pre eu days even with tariffs on imported cars etc i can,t see how we are going to increase our poor producitivy without massive investment into infrastructure plant and tooling and skilled labour and a government plan which their is no sign off.

Exactly this. Car production depends on a very interconnected supply chain moving parts between countries. 'Country A' has a successful car export industry to the 27 countries of the EU. It actually exports just as many engines as cars.

If Country A decides to set up its own borders, customs, standards and tariffs whilst the other 27 remain open and border free do we think:-

1. Country A will wildly prosper and attract lots more investment.

2 Wither and die as a major centre of manufacture as multinationals move to the harmonised market?

Its not just cars either. Pharmaceuticals, chemicals, electronics and food / drink will all be affected.

Edited by buctootim

Exactly this. Car production depends on a very interconnected supply chain moving parts between countries. 'Country A' has a successful car export industry to the 27 countries of the EU. It actually exports just as many engines as cars.

If Country A decides to set up its own borders, customs, standards and tariffs whilst the other 27 remain open and border free do we think:-

1. Country A will wildly prosper and attract lots more investment.

2 Wither and die as a major centre of manufacture as multinationals move to the harmonised market?

Its not just cars either. Pharmaceuticals, chemicals, electronics and food / drink will all be affected.

agree thats how business works..its madness to leave a home market of 450 million on our doorstep ,yes we can get a deal with the usa but it will be on the usa terms which means we have to abide by their rules has they call the tune ,its take it or leave it but history will show this has the age of stupidy just like nevile chamberlains peace in our time.i,m fed up with our country being a laughing stock at the moment around the world.

I love the total over reaction on this thread, despite the good news daily, regarding our exit from the EU and our prospects thereafter. I think it may be worth reminding the "We're Doomed" brigade of some very simple UK trade figures from 2015.

[TABLE=width: 500]

[TR]

[TD]Country[/TD]

[TD]Imports (£m)[/TD]

[TD]Exports (£m)[/TD]

[TD]Total Trade(£m)[/TD]

[TD]Trade Balance (£m)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]EU[/TD]

[TD]220,150[/TD]

[TD]133,832[/TD]

[TD]353,982[/TD]

[TD]-86,318[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Germany[/TD]

[TD]60,860[/TD]

[TD]30,382[/TD]

[TD]91,242[/TD]

[TD]-30,478[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]US[/TD]

[TD]35,291[/TD]

[TD]45,278[/TD]

[TD]80,568[/TD]

[TD]+9,987[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

You may wonder why both Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton are unwilling to complete the TTIP, given the US trade figures below:

[TR]

[TD]Country[/TD]

[TD]Imports ($m)[/TD]

[TD]Exports ($m)[/TD]

[TD]Total Trade ($m)[/TD]

[TD]Balance ($m)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]EU[/TD]

[TD]416,666[/TD]

[TD]270,325[/TD]

[TD]686,991[/TD]

[TD]-146,340[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Germany[/TD]

[TD]114,227[/TD]

[TD]49,362[/TD]

[TD]163,589[/TD]

[TD]-64,865[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Two simple questions spring to mind from the trade figures above.

1. Why are we worried in the slightest about the trade terms being "dictated" to us by a bunch of un-elected bureaucrats from Brussels whose masters have more to lose than we do?
  2. How did we let Germany dominate world trade, post WWII to the detriment of countries they tried to enslave?

As Trump warned them:

The Germans are bad, very bad. See the millions of cars they sell in the U.S., terrible. We will stop this.

In 1950, the UK was the world's largest exporter of cars. It just shows what socialism and the EU has done to our car industry since.

Edited by Guided Missile
Formatting Error

[quote=Guided Missile;251

1. How did we let Germany dominate world trade, post WWII to the detriment of countries they tried to enslave?

.because all of the German heavy industries and businesses never took the responsibility for their dealings with the Nazis. Krupp, Mercedes, Porsche, Hugo Boss ( he designed their uniforms) and many others who used slave labour to produce goods for their war effort at the same time earning a fortune, were allowed to carry on.

I understand that they needed to rebuild their nation but we allowed Germany to dominate Europe . The German comedian Henning Wehn is happy to point out, who really won the war?

I take on board your comments about the Unions etc in post war period decimating our industries with their strikes and militancy. Our management skills and product quality became rotten to the core . We left it for the Germans and Japanese to take our markets and I doubt we will ever compete again.

I love the total over reaction on this thread, despite the good news daily, regarding our exit from the EU and our prospects thereafter. I think it may be worth reminding the "We're Doomed" brigade of some very simple UK trade figures from 2015.

[TR]

[TD]Country[/TD]

[TD]Imports (£m)[/TD]

[TD]Exports (£m)[/TD]

[TD]Total Trade(£m)[/TD]

[TD]Trade Balance (£m)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]EU[/TD]

[TD]220,150[/TD]

[TD]133,832[/TD]

[TD]353,982[/TD]

[TD]-86,318[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Germany[/TD]

[TD]60,860[/TD]

[TD]30,382[/TD]

[TD]91,242[/TD]

[TD]-30,478[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]US[/TD]

[TD]35,291[/TD]

[TD]45,278[/TD]

[TD]80,568[/TD]

[TD]+9,987[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

You may wonder why both Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton are unwilling to complete the TTIP, given the US trade figures below:

[TR]

[TD]Country[/TD]

[TD]Imports ($m)[/TD]

[TD]Exports ($m)[/TD]

[TD]Total Trade ($m)[/TD]

[TD]Balance ($m)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]EU[/TD]

[TD]416,666[/TD]

[TD]270,325[/TD]

[TD]686,991[/TD]

[TD]-146,340[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Germany[/TD]

[TD]114,227[/TD]

[TD]49,362[/TD]

[TD]163,589[/TD]

[TD]-64,865[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Two simple questions spring to mind from the trade figures above.

1. Why are we worried in the slightest about the trade terms being "dictated" to us by a bunch of un-elected bureaucrats from Brussels whose masters have more to lose than we do?
  2. How did we let Germany dominate world trade, post WWII to the detriment of countries they tried to enslave?

As Trump warned them:

In 1950, the UK was the world's largest exporter of cars. It just shows what socialism and the EU has done to our car industry since.

Does it really matter where a car is from in this day and age?

Edited by Winnersaint

because all of the German heavy industries and businesses never took the responsibility for their dealings with the Nazis. Krupp, Mercedes, Porsche, Hugo Boss ( he designed their uniforms) and many others who used slave labour to produce goods for their war effort at the same time earning a fortune, were allowed to carry on.

I understand that they needed to rebuild their nation but we allowed Germany to dominate Europe . The German comedian Henning Wehn is happy to point out, who really won the war?

I take on board your comments about the Unions etc in post war period decimating our industries with their strikes and militancy. Our management skills and product quality became rotten to the core . We left it for the Germans and Japanese to take our markets and I doubt we will ever compete again.

A far as I am aware the German's received around half the amount of Marshall Aid between 1948-51 that the UK received. Indeed we were the biggest recipient of any country. They chose to invest in industrial reconstruction whilst successive governments including Atlee's squandered that money on trying to maintain the pre-war imperial status-quo.

A far as I am aware the German's received around half the amount of Marshall Aid between 1948-51 that the UK received. Indeed we were the biggest recipient of any country. They chose to invest in industrial reconstruction whilst successive governments including Atlee's squandered that money on trying to maintain the pre-war imperial status-quo.

I think the fact that up to 1950, Britain was spending over 7% of GDP on defence, whilst Germany and Japan were spending the square root of f*** all may have released a few pfennigs/yen to spend on a new factory or two may have helped.

Still, I think we've learnt our lesson and unlikely to get a socialist government in power for the foreseeable future...

I think the fact that up to 1950, Britain was spending over 7% of GDP on defence, whilst Germany and Japan were spending the square root of f*** all may have released a few pfennigs/yen to spend on a new factory or two may have helped.

In 1950, Britain's investment in industry and infrastructure was only 9 per cent of GDP, in West Germany it was 19. Not sure there's a political point to be made here, either. Tories would have done the same.

Edited by Winnersaint

Interesting statistic today, 66.7% of UK universities have stated that Brexit has made absolutely no difference to their recruitment of EU nationals. So thats another scare story that can be chalked off.

Uh? So a story that say that a third of all UK universities state that Brexit HAS made a difference to their recruitment of EU nationals, can be chalked off as a scare story. Are the 3rd that have been effective also the 3rd took a greater proportion of EU nationals?

I would have agreed with you if it was 100%...

Interesting statistic today, 66.7% of UK universities have stated that Brexit has made absolutely no difference to their recruitment of EU nationals. So thats another scare story that can be chalked off.

You dont travel overseas to study at an ex poly. Its the top universities which attract foreign students.

You dont travel overseas to study at an ex poly. Its the top universities which attract foreign students.

Considering the number of Engineering Students at Lanchester........ The ex-polys attract a very large number of foreign students, but, in the valuable subjects. You will not find many foreign students taking Media Studies or Travel and Toursim.

Considering the number of Engineering Students at Lanchester........ The ex-polys attract a very large number of foreign students, but, in the valuable subjects. You will not find many foreign students taking Media Studies or Travel and Toursim.

Lancaster isn't an ex-poly.

Lancaster isn't an ex-poly.

Lanchester was though. Now Coventry University. Which has stacks of overseas students, though far fewer EU students.

The most mobile of EU academics are, obviously, the best ones - the ones with big research grants and big reputations. It's one reason Cambridge, for example, has reported an alarming exodus of EU academic staff. Research funds follow the academic not the institution, so many top-ranking EU academics - the ones any university is most anxious to keep hold of - have upped sticks. This includes literally hundreds at Cambridge.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Brexit - Post Match Reaction