• Leave Before - Leave Now
    • Leave Before - Remain Now
    • Leave Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Remain Before - Remain Now
    • Remain Before - Leave Now
    • Remain Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Leave Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Remain Now
    • I've never been bothered - Why am I on this Thread?
    • No second Ref - 2016 was Definitive and Binding

Strikes me that taking the brightest & the best from other countries is a selfish sort of attitude, a Britain first sort of attitude. If the brightest & best stay in their own countries & contribute to the society that paid for their early schooling, is that not a good thing. Seems the remainiacs want to decimate or nearest & dearest neighbours by pinching all their talent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dads-Army-Frazier-doomed.png

Growth to accelerate as UK economy bounces back

Economic growth will speed up again in the coming months as investment rises and the global recovery means more foreign demand for UK exports, economists believe. Growth reached a low of 0.2pc in the first three months of the year, edged up to 0.3pc in the second quarter and will keep on getting stronger, the National Institute for Economic and Social Research (Niesr) believes, rising to 0.4pc in the third and fourth quarters and 0.5pc into early next year. Overall the analysts believe the UK will grow by 1.7pc this year, 1.9pc in 2018, 2pc in 2019 and 1.8pc in both 2020 and 2021.

Dads-Army-Frazier-doomed.png

Growth to accelerate as UK economy bounces back

Economic growth will speed up again in the coming months as investment rises and the global recovery means more foreign demand for UK exports, economists believe. Growth reached a low of 0.2pc in the first three months of the year, edged up to 0.3pc in the second quarter and will keep on getting stronger, the National Institute for Economic and Social Research (Niesr) believes, rising to 0.4pc in the third and fourth quarters and 0.5pc into early next year. Overall the analysts believe the UK will grow by 1.7pc this year, 1.9pc in 2018, 2pc in 2019 and 1.8pc in both 2020 and 2021.

Thank god, the Eurozone economy is growing twice as fast as the UK and helping all those British exporters. Lucky to have a large, booming, near frictionless market on the UK's doorstep. Oh wait...

Misselbrook, Saintsweb's very own village idiot :lol:

More bad news for the remainers on the currency markets:

chart?chart_primary_ticker=FX^GBP:USD&chart_time_period=1_month&canvas_colour=000000&primary_chart_colour=CC0000&use_transparency=0&plot_colour=ffffff&cp_line_colour=1F4F82&margin_left=35&margin_bottom=20&margin_right=20&time_24hr=1&tiny_chart=1&tiny_month_view=1&logo_strength=light&y_axis_left=1&x_axis_plain=1&cp_line=1&cp_line_style=dotline&charting_freq=1_minute&co_dimension^width=629&co_dimension^height=190

Thank God I didn't bet against the pound sterling in July...

Smart money's been recently betting against the pound vs. Euro. Good July for that trade. Keep up Trident :lol:

Edited by shurlock

Carney has just dropped a bombshell in the rate review press conference. The MPC now predicts that UK investment in 2020 will be 20% lower than had been predicted for that year before the referendum. And all because of the 'uncertainty' created by the chaos of Brexit.

This prediction is given added credence by the PMI index, which reveals the lowest business confidence since the midst of the credit crunch.

Strikes me that taking the brightest & the best from other countries is a selfish sort of attitude, a Britain first sort of attitude. If the brightest & best stay in their own countries & contribute to the society that paid for their early schooling, is that not a good thing. Seems the remainiacs want to decimate or nearest & dearest neighbours by pinching all their talent.

I'm an ardent remainer. I've visited many parts of Europe on countless occasions during my lifetime, and have felt genuinely like a European. I think that, as a symbolic thing, the Brexit vote is the saddest politics of my life time, harking back to the worst aspects of Britain in the early 70s.

But I will say this; it has been made too easy by our own people for British business, mine included, to recruit foreign talent, both cheap and otherwise, through the European Union, in recent times. We all know many honourable exceptions, but if the indigenous British working populous finally come to terms with rolling their sleeves up and doing a proper shift, in terms of either mental or physical activity again, valuing work for its own sake just a little more, rather than just being obsessed with vacuous status and debt driven materialism, then after a very bumpy ride, Brexit may turn out to be a good thing! Either that or we will sink like a stone.

I am not surprised that confidence is low, we're over 15 months down the line and absolutely squat seems to have been done.

The Leave campaign talked a good exit but they seem incapable of actually putting anything into place.

Personally I'd have another referendum on the subject and this time round make sure that every Expat who still holds British Nationality gets to vote if they so wish.

Something needs to be done sharpish before the situation becomes unmanageable, if it isn't already.

Carney has just dropped a bombshell in the rate review press conference. The MPC now predicts that UK investment in 2020 will be 20% lower than had been predicted for that year before the referendum. And all because of the 'uncertainty' created by the chaos of Brexit.

This prediction is given added credence by the PMI index, which reveals the lowest business confidence since the midst of the credit crunch.

If Carney kept his mouth shut, maybe business confidence would be higher. For me, his and the Treasury predictions, have zero credibility.

6 JANUARY 2017 • 6:37AM

The Bank of England has admitted its dire warnings of a downturn in the wake of the Brexit vote were a “Michael Fish” moment and said that the economics profession was now in “crisis”. Andy Haldane, the Bank of England’s chief economist, said there was a “disconnect” between political warnings about Brexit and the “remarkably placid” state of the markets, adding that the worst predictions may turn out to be “just scare stories”.

Nothing is going to be agreed.

There is only one issue at stake - legal jurisdiction. The EU is demanding to retain supremacy of EU courts over domestic UK courts, and Britain won't accept that. It is a stalemate. Personally I don't see it being broken.

Explain how EU citizen rights could be governed in the UK by EU courts, but not British or other citizens. Two different legal systems?

Bumpkin misselbrook proving why kippers can't be taken seriously. European markets ex UK have easily outperformed the FTSE since the referendum (and that's without the boost of fx depreciation). Would perhaps explain why Trident is comparing apples and pears and different time periods (though the f**kwit probably doesn't know any better).

The large European markets (e.g. CAC and DAX) have dipped in recent months because the euro has gone from strength to strength (the DAX is particularly export-dependent) - a good thing if you believe in economic fundamentals. As Eurozone growth has been stronger than expected and is indeed outpacing the UK and US, the ECB has also been much more confident and aggressive than the BoE in signalling its intent to withdraw monetary support (prematurely IMO and the opinion of the IMF) which has subsequently weighed on markets. Again this is a good thing if you believe returning to some kind of economic normalcy following years of unprecedented central bank intervention in response to the financial crisis. The lesson being: don't confuse the stock markets for the real economy, especially in these topsy-turvy times.

As usual, Misselbrook is pitifully out of his depth. It's too easy pal.

Edited by shurlock

As you're on ignore, I haven't bothered to read your usual trolling b0ll0x, but I have one question, before I permanently ignore you. Why would a grown man bother to post as "shurlock" and as "Jonnyboy", in a vain attempt to get my attention? Not that I'll read your justification. I'd grow up and get a life, pal...or yet another logon ID.:rolleyes:

The laughs keep rolling in. It seems the May regime is so ludicrously inept in its handling of Brexit negotiations that a wave of panic is sweeping the EU that it must be some sort of cunning plan. No sentient government could be THIS bad, surely.

http://www.politico.eu/article/united-kingdom-brexit-eu-david-davis-the-uks-secret-brexit-strategy-so-stealth-even-the-british-cant-see-it/

The Politico piece is getting heavily retweeted by Brexiteers, who must be desperate to believe that behind the uselessness lies anything but uselessness.

Where's Baldrick?

As you're on ignore, I haven't bothered to read your usual trolling b0ll0x, but I have one question, before I permanently ignore you. Why would a grown man bother to post as "shurlock" and as "Jonnyboy", in a vain attempt to get my attention? Not that I'll read your justification. I'd grow up and get a life, pal...or yet another logon ID.:rolleyes:

:lol: lol wot?

:lol: lol wot?

The laughs keep rolling in. It seems the May regime is so ludicrously inept in its handling of Brexit negotiations that a wave of panic is sweeping the EU that it must be some sort of cunning plan. No sentient government could be THIS bad, surely.

http://www.politico.eu/article/united-kingdom-brexit-eu-david-davis-the-uks-secret-brexit-strategy-so-stealth-even-the-british-cant-see-it/

The Politico piece is getting heavily retweeted by Brexiteers, who must be desperate to believe that behind the uselessness lies anything but uselessness.

Where's Baldrick?

Ive been lurking LOL.

Actually ive been on a GDPR Practitioner Couse to understand the implications of the new EU data protection regulations.

Anyway, why should cunning plans not be part of the process??

Was not the idea to hoodwink us all into being part of a single EU state not cunning?

Maybe not, as some if us, at least, could see through it...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

But I will say this; it has been made too easy by our own people for British business, mine included, to recruit foreign talent, both cheap and otherwise, through the European Union, in recent times. We all know many honourable exceptions, but if the indigenous British working populous finally come to terms with rolling their sleeves up and doing a proper shift, in terms of either mental or physical activity again, valuing work for its own sake just a little more, rather than just being obsessed with vacuous status and debt driven materialism, then after a very bumpy ride, Brexit may turn out to be a good thing! Either that or we will sink like a stone.

Spot on

I'm an ardent remainer. I've visited many parts of Europe on countless occasions during my lifetime, and have felt genuinely like a European. I think that, as a symbolic thing, the Brexit vote is the saddest politics of my life time, harking back to the worst aspects of Britain in the early 70s.

Nine out of the ten poorest areas within the EU are located within the UK.

UK 16-24 year olds have the fourth lowest ability in the EU in terms of literacy, numeracy and technological skills.

In summary, the UK is poor and stupid and voted accordingly, well 52% of the UK did

UK 16-24 year olds have the fourth lowest ability in the EU in terms of literacy, numeracy and technological skills.

In summary, the UK is poor and stupid and voted accordingly, well 52% of the UK did

hahahahahaha

That's what 45 years of EU membership has done.

Yep. You have to question whether the virtue of the struggle was what the generation that invented early retirement, and failed to maintain our education system, had in mind. Not me. If that's what we're doing, bring it on.

That's what 45 years of EU membership has done.

As usual your post is bigoted and lacks any evidence as well as being stupid as how can 45 years of EU membership be the cause as the comparison is with other countries who are in the EU

One of the problems with the UK appears to be that large sections of the population are not interested in education and from what I have learned from my wife loads of pupils disrupt lessons and cause many other problems.

Her school has a large exclusion department and numerous pupils are suspended every month which shows me that there is not the desire for some to learn and find a decent job.

I agree with your comment 'if the indigenous British working populous finally come to terms with rolling their sleeves up and doing a proper shift, in terms of either mental or physical activity again, valuing work for its own sake' but that is likely to be a lot more difficult if jobs disappear because foreign companies relocate to the Single Market countries like they will.

You seem to blame everything on the EU whereas I blame UK governments for all our problems as the EU just provides the tools and facilities for our country to prosper for the good economically politically environmentally and socially and leaving it is a disaster.

I am 71 but I care for youngsters and how leaving the UK is going to affect them but as I have no idea who you are I don't know what your outlook on life is the only two things I know is that you are passionately against the EU not entirely based on facts and you support the Saints and I am fully supportive the content of nearly all your posts

So there are more than 20 countries who are in the EU and have better literacy, numeracy and technological skills than the UK

One of the problems with the UK appears to be that large sections of the population are not interested in education and from what I have learned from my wife loads of pupils disrupt lessons and cause many other problems.

Appalling grammar and punctuation. Have you considered evening classes?

I think you need to check your facts: the factoid that is usually trotted out isnt that "nine of the ten poorest areas within the EU are located in the UK", it's that "nine of the ten poorest areas in Northern Europe are located in the UK".

http://inequalitybriefing.org/graphics/briefing_43_UK_regions_poorest_North_Europe.pdf

Instead of sending millions to the EU we will be able to plough some of it into our education system, or our 9 poorest areas.

No, you said that 45 years of EU membership had caused appalling failures in educational achievement among the young in Britain. That's a venomous lie.

I think you need to check your facts: the factoid that is usually trotted out isnt that "nine of the ten poorest areas within the EU are located in the UK", it's that "nine of the ten poorest areas in Northern Europe are located in the UK".

http://inequalitybriefing.org/graphics/briefing_43_UK_regions_poorest_North_Europe.pdf

number 2 on that list is on my doorstep and an absolutely beautiful place. If that is the 2nd 'poorest' in Northern Europe. Just a shame that that the EU is not JUST Northern Europe

No, you said that 45 years of EU membership had caused appalling failures in educational achievement among the young in Britain. That's a venomous lie.

Lol, it's not a "lie" . If you accept the premise that the more you spend on education the better results you get, then surely it's not a "lie" to then suggest that had we ploughed the money we sent to the EU into education, our standards would be higher.

What's the lie;

That we've sent billions to the EU

That more funding means better education standards

You need to learn the difference between a lie ( or even a venomous lie) & an opinion.

number 2 on that list is on my doorstep and an absolutely beautiful place. If that is the 2nd 'poorest' in Northern Europe. Just a shame that that the EU is not JUST Northern Europe

That's also true. "Poor" only in terms of GDP per capita which isn't the be all and end all.

Excellent piece by Simon Kuper. Nails everything that's wrong with the British establishment. You almost feel sorry for the poor little kipper footsoldiers on here who've been sent over the top.

https://www.ft.com/content/b3d62bcc-7713-11e7-90c0-90a9d1bc9691

Ken Clarke saying some of the same things here

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:euLuj5J_CxkJ:https://www.ft.com/content/8e3564b4-76e6-11e7-90c0-90a9d1bc9691+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

"He attributes last year’s Brexit vote to the habit of “today’s rightwing politicians” to react to “sensationalist headlines in the Daily Mail”. “In a modern, sophisticated country with a parliamentary democracy, you have to take a different approach,” he said. Mr Clarke added that he especially deplored how the public had been assured before the EU referendum that Britain’s trading relationships would be relatively unchanged after Brexit. “I think the public will expect the political class to deal in a serious way with the complexities of the issue,” Mr Clarke said. “I do think most of them also expect that the government and the political class will diminish the economic damage that they have caused by Brexit.”He added that widening political polarisation had in part driven the Brexit vote, saying: “I’ve just never seen anything like this present mad situation.”

Mr Clarke said a “wave of anger and frustration” had swept away the “liberal economic and social establishment” of both the centre-left and the centre-right, despite a recent period of relative prosperity. “Membership of the EU was part of that,” he said. “We’ve abandoned that now. It’s difficult to see what will replace it.”

Mr Clarke reserved some of his scorn for the left, expressing bewilderment that the alternative to Conservatism was once again a “command economy, socialism and the nationalisation of the means of production and a strong state”. “That’s what I rejected when I was a student,” he said. But he was only marginally less surprised by how isolated the shift had left him within his own party. He said his own views, now seen as on the left of the Tory party, were once regarded as unremarkable. “I believe in the free market, free society, with a social conscience,” Mr Clarke said. “I believe in an open, meritocratic society. For most of my lifetime, those were mainstream Conservative views.”

National stereotypes are odious of course, but we can perhaps say that the British have earned for themselves a reputation as a moderate and reasonable people in the main - that approach to life has I think served us pretty well in the past. But it would seem that every now and again we collectively go a bit mad and that hard-earned sense of 'reasonableness' is abandoned for something that looks very much like the extremism and intolerance we might associate with other less fortunate lands than this. Evidence to support this contention can be found below: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/brexit-is-worth-family-members-losing-their-jobs-say-leave-voters-over-65_uk_59806ffae4b00bb8ff3975bb•

• Half of Leave voters over the age of 65 would be happy for their family members to lose their jobs in order to ensure Brexit goes ahead.

• 61% of people who voted Leave at the referendum think that “significant damage” to the UK economy is a price worth paying for taking Britain out of the EU.

• One in three Remain voters (34%), said that “significant damage” economy would be a price worth paying if it meant Brexit was stopped.

• One in five Remain voters would happily see the economy suffer “just to teach Leave voters a lesson”.

Whichever way you voted last year I think that if you find yourselves agreeing with ANY of the above sentiments then you really need to have a strong word with yourself. That bloody referendum has not only damaged this lovely old nation of ours economically and politically, just as importantly our sense national unity has been harmed as well. Wounds this deep take a long time to heal and always leave a scar I fear.

Surely the willingness to be personally poorer for your beliefs is a good thing. If your principles are more important than money & wealth is that not noble. Only wanting an independent Scotland if it meant no sacrifice, or loss of wealth, is hardly Braveheart.

What if Donald Trump offered to pay all income tax, VAT, & pay for the NHS. In return we'd have to become the 51st state of the union, but would undoubtedly be richer. Which way would you vote, to be poorer & remain the UK or to be richer & become part of the US.

Some things are more important than money & people should be lauded for that, not abused.

* Not that I accept the notion we'll be poorer. In the long run I think we'll be richer.

Cable should really avoid accusing people of "shafting the young".

DFhXhCjXcAI26TD.jpg

Of course it wasn't just the young he wanted to shaft. Had we followed his advise & joined the Euro everyone would have been shafted.

Here's hoping that Cable keeps up the good work. Insulting the majority voters isn't really a great tactic to change opinion.

Rejoin EFTA in the meantime, then. You should remember EFTA, Whitey. I still have the stamps. Here is the free trade agreements they have and none of it involves kowtowing to Brussels, only filling in an application form:

fta-map-1900-1.jpg

Cough, cough...

August 9 2017, 12:00am,

The Times

European Court of Justice president Koen Lenaerts offers European Free Trade Association as solution to Brexit conundrum. The European Union’s most senior judge has proposed using the European Free Trade Association (Efta) court in a Norway-style sovereignty compromise after Brexit.

July 15 2017, 7:45PM

The Telegraph

Iceland's foreign minister has opened the door for Britain to rejoin a European trade club that would put it on a fast track to sign dozens of ready made deals after Brexit.

and, here:

The U.K. rejoining the European Economic Area from outside the European Union — the so-called Norway model — is European Commission chief negotiator Michel Barnier’s favorite option for a post-Brexit transitional arrangement.

It would allow for a smooth exit with minimum disruption for British business — by maintaining access to the single market — and give negotiators precious time to work out the details of a future trading arrangement. In Brussels, it is now seen as the only serious proposal that the European Commission is likely to make when it comes to a transitional deal. Five EU diplomats told POLITCO it would be a reasonable solution to the Brexit transition conundrum.

Has the Bolivarian Missile become a closet remoaner?

Only we remoaners advocate the Norwegian model, which means membership - not the meaningless 'access' - of the single market.

This is because we know: (1) it's unacceptable to Brexit Jihadists, who will threaten blow up the economy and take hostages if it ever found its way into the May regime's Brexit negotiating position; and (2) that once embarked down the Norwegian route, we're ever closer to a belly flop back into the EU.

Surprised none of the remoaners have posted the latest from their poster boy Phillip Hammond.

Joint statement with Dr Liam Fox, we're out the CU from day one.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2017/aug/13/hammond-and-fox-brexit-transition-would-not-be-way-to-remain

Surprised none of the remoaners have posted the latest from their poster boy Phillip Hammond.

Joint statement with Dr Liam Fox, we're out the CU from day one.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2017/aug/13/hammond-and-fox-brexit-transition-would-not-be-way-to-remain

So the UK will leave the single market and customs union in March 2019? But there will be a transition period, a period during which ostensibly the UK remains in all but name in the single market and customs union?

That clears things up - the government still utterly deluded in thinking it can pick and choose what it likes and leave the unappetising bits. All these scenarios are ultimately within the gift of the EU.

In other news, Fox's bestest fwend, Adam Werrity has been motoring ahead with Brexit-themed advent calendar and seeking funding from wealthy kippers. I guess Trident hasn't got the call yet.

#tradingpowerhouse

So the UK will leave the single market and customs union in March 2019? But there will be a transition period, a period during which ostensibly the UK remains in all but name in the single market and customs union?

What part of "outside the customs union during any transition" do you not understand? The whole point of the joint statement is to clarify that we'll be able to do trade deals from day one. How on earth is that remaining in cu in all but name?

What part of "outside the customs union during any transition" do you not understand? The whole point of the joint statement is to clarify that we'll be able to do trade deals from day one. How on earth is that remaining in cu in all but name?

Because the UK still wants a transitional arrangement. Hard to imagine anything but a cliff edge if the UK is outside both the SM and CU (per the original Telegraph article). Yet more meaningless contradictions.

Because the UK still wants a transitional arrangement. Hard to imagine anything but a cliff edge if the UK is outside both the SM and CU (per the original Telegraph article). Yet more meaningless contradictions.

Bizarre conclusion to the Guardian article posted and comments about the CU ( not the SM) .

I guess the bit "Fox and Hammond are seen as the most pro-leave and pro-remain ministers in the cabinet and the Sunday Telegraph article shows that, on some issues relating to the transitional period, consensus has now been achieved" , is " meaningless contradictions" to a remoaner.

United cabinet position of out of CU from day one, is good news.

Bizarre conclusion to the Guardian article posted and comments about the CU ( not the SM) .

I guess the bit "Fox and Hammond are seen as the most pro-leave and pro-remain ministers in the cabinet and the Sunday Telegraph article shows that, on some issues relating to the transitional period, consensus has now been achieved" , is " meaningless contradictions" to a remoaner.

United cabinet position of out of CU from day one, is good news.

The guardian article is rehashing and putting its own emphasis on an article written by Hammond and Fox for the Telegraph. If you want to see what was written -from the horse's mouth so to speak- I suggest you consult that.

Again nobody has explained how you can have both a smooth transition while outside the SM and CU starting in 2019.

The only possibility is that the UK engineers bespoke arrangements that mirror or function like the SM and CU. They, however, will come at a price which the government, again, refuses to acknowledge or come clean about.

Edited by shurlock

• Lighthouse changed the title to Brexit - Post Match Reaction