• Leave Before - Leave Now
    • Leave Before - Remain Now
    • Leave Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Remain Before - Remain Now
    • Remain Before - Leave Now
    • Remain Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Leave Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Remain Now
    • I've never been bothered - Why am I on this Thread?
    • No second Ref - 2016 was Definitive and Binding

In reality if the Scottish Parliament votes to hold a second Independence Referendum then there is very little Westminster can do to prevent that, that is prevent that without appearing to be a authoritarian 'foreign' power imposing itself on a proud nation - whatever the legal technicalities of the situation may be. Indeed, those on here who still lay claim to maintain a functioning intellect really should be able to comprehend I would have thought that the one thing Westminster can do that would GUARANTEE the eventual break-up of our ancient nation would be to deny the Scottish people a second vote on the issue if they want one - a priceless gift to the SNP.

Even if the PM manages to avoid that obvious trap the prospects of the UK surviving the coming storm, in its current form, still look not better than 50/50 at this time. Now some (loons) on here seem to think that the ruin of our nation would be a good thing for some reason - yet another opinion in Brexit Britain that I would heartily disagree with.

I would have thought that the one thing Westminster can do that would GUARANTEE the eventual break-up of our ancient nation would be to deny the Scottish people a second vote on the issue if they want one

Would the best thing for the UK Government to do be to go with the majority of Scots who don't actually want another referendum, rather than conflate 'what the SNP want' with 'what Scotland wants' ?

Are you suggesting they should have a referendum to decide whether they should have a referendum :rolleyes:

No. I think the UK should have a referendum to decide if we should let the Scots have a referendum about whether or not to have another referendum :)

Exactly. Not sure why it's difficult to understand.

Because too many people fall for the SNP's "Scotland = SNP" conflation mantra.

People seem to forget that the SNP are running a minority government in the Scottish parliament at the moment, propped up by the Greens. Imagine the hoo-hah amongst the social media intelligentsia if a minority Tory government in Westminster were playing the "look, the whole country is behind us" card across the whole UK as the SNP do across the whole of Scotland.

Less Scots voted for the SNP at the May 2016 Scottish Parliament elections than Scots who voted to leave the EU in July 2016; and only 36% of the Scottish electorate voted for the SNP at the UK General Election in 2015.

Aided and abetted by the media, the SNP PR machine are very good at spinning the 'facts' to suit their agenda (yes, all political parties do this, but the SNP are particularly good at it)

Edited by trousers

Because too many people fall for the SNP's "Scotland = SNP" conflation mantra.

People seem to forget that the SNP are running a minority government in the Scottish parliament at the moment, propped up by the Greens. Imagine the hoo-hah amongst the social media intelligentsia if a minority Tory government in Westminster were playing the "look, the whole country is behind us" card across the whole UK as the SNP do across the whole of Scotland.

Less Scots voted for the SNP at the May 2016 Scottish Parliament elections than Scots who voted to leave the EU in July 2016; and only 36% of the Scottish electorate voted for the SNP at the UK General Election in 2015.

Aided and abetted by the media, the SNP PR machine are very good at spinning the 'facts' to suit their agenda (yes, all political parties do this, but the SNP are particularly good at it)

You don't seem to have much idea how the Scottish voting system works, do you? Combining elements of PR, it's explicitly designed to stop one party having overall control. Best stick to your Bill Murray pics, pal.

Would the best thing for the UK Government to do be to go with the majority of Scots who don't actually want another referendum, rather than conflate 'what the SNP want' with 'what Scotland wants' ?

Again,if the democratically elected (and SNP dominated) Scottish Parliament elects to hold another referendum then I see no way that could realistically be denied. This Union of ours can surely only endure while the peoples of these islands freely agree to live together in the same nation state. Resorting to constitutional law, or even force ultimately, plays right into the hands of all those who seek to break this nation apart.

At least that is my take on the situation.

In reality if the Scottish Parliament votes to hold a second Independence Referendum then there is very little Westminster can do to prevent that, that is prevent that without appearing to be a authoritarian 'foreign' power imposing itself on a proud nation - whatever the legal technicalities of the situation may be. Indeed, those on here who still lay claim to maintain a functioning intellect really should be able to comprehend I would have thought that the one thing Westminster can do that would GUARANTEE the eventual break-up of our ancient nation would be to deny the Scottish people a second vote on the issue if they want one - a priceless gift to the SNP.

Even if the PM manages to avoid that obvious trap the prospects of the UK surviving the coming storm, in its current form, still look not better than 50/50 at this time. Now some (loons) on here seem to think that the ruin of our nation would be a good thing for some reason - yet another opinion in Brexit Britain that I would heartily disagree with.

Your reasoning is all over the place. On the one hand you link the countries of the UK together as an ancient nation and then bemoan the possibility that it might be split asunder if one part of this nation denied another part of it a referendum on whether it should leave that nation anyway. And then typically of the arrogance of you remoaners, you lay claim to the intellectual high ground for spouting such nonsense and trying to infer that anybody who disagrees must be a bit thick. With the greatest irony, you seemingly fail to see the parallel situation that existed between our own Union and the European one, and yet I'm fairly certain that you were dead set against us having a referendum, but would no doubt now be very much in favour of further referenda until we reach the "right" decision, much as the SNP are doing.

If the SNP insist that the reason for them calling for another referendum is because we will be giving up our membership of the single market, then surely it is not unreasonable to tell them to wait until it is established what access we will negotiate within the two year period following the triggering of Article 50, which has not even happened yet. Ultimately, I'm all for them having their second referendum at that time, because even though there might not be total clarity on our future trading relationship with the EU, there should certainly be absolute clarity on what Scotland's position would be politically, that they cannot just stay in the EU by themselves and would effectively be in total limbo. But if they chose to jump over the cliff like Lemmings, then so be it.:lol:

Why do you follow an English football club?

Referring to guided missile only. Thanks for your assumption. For your info. I'm married to an Englishwoman with an English son born into a loyalist household so not a "Mick" either. As for supporting an English club, I didn't think we had to pass the you have to be English to support an English club.

Goodness the little Englanders really have piped up since Brexit with their racism, bitterness and vitriol.

It's ok though cos you're getting a shiny new boat for the Queen. Facepalm.

Sent from my YOGA Tablet 2-1050F using Tapatalk

Wow! The most chilling response ever! GM's comment warranted a response but that?

That's what the unintended consequences are!!!!!!! Try living there to see how scared people are. All this because of bloody straight bananas.

Your reasoning is all over the place. On the one hand you link the countries of the UK together as an ancient nation and then bemoan the possibility that it might be split asunder if one part of this nation denied another part of it a referendum on whether it should leave that nation anyway. And then typically of the arrogance of you remoaners, you lay claim to the intellectual high ground for spouting such nonsense and trying to infer that anybody who disagrees must be a bit thick. With the greatest irony, you seemingly fail to see the parallel situation that existed between our own Union and the European one, and yet I'm fairly certain that you were dead set against us having a referendum, but would no doubt now be very much in favour of further referenda until we reach the "right" decision, much as the SNP are doing.

If the SNP insist that the reason for them calling for another referendum is because we will be giving up our membership of the single market, then surely it is not unreasonable to tell them to wait until it is established what access we will negotiate within the two year period following the triggering of Article 50, which has not even happened yet. Ultimately, I'm all for them having their second referendum at that time, because even though there might not be total clarity on our future trading relationship with the EU, there should certainly be absolute clarity on what Scotland's position would be politically, that they cannot just stay in the EU by themselves and would effectively be in total limbo. But if they chose to jump over the cliff like Lemmings, then so be it.:lol:

Well naturally I disagree with all of the above garbage. Furthermore, there really is no great need for anyone on here to "infer" that you are a bit thick Les when you strive so earnestly to prove the point on a daily basis. But I do actually welcome your sudden conversion into contributor who now at least pretends to give a hoot about the fate of this old nation - for who amongst us could possibly forget your infamous "not bothered" reaction to that grim prospect. You can rest assured that I certainly won't.

But do comfort yourself with the thought that God loves a singer who repents of his ways.

Responses to Antrimsaint, what the f**k has his being NI and supporting saints got to do with anything, illustrates only to well the small mindedness of rabid brexiteers. Do you all shop in a Local Shop for Local people! I am sure he is in far better position to assess the mood in NI than most of us on here.

The UK is just a smaller version of the EU. The brexit lot don't see the big picture. By wrenching yourselves from Brussels you give the very same argument for the nation states to have there own self determination. The UK is not a nation. It is a group of four nations run centrally from London. How any brexit knob could deny Scotland or NI wishing to break that stranglehold is sweet irony.

Don't you see the parallels?Don't you get that you have started the breakup. It's your fault. Don't blame anyone else. Well done, well played. Own it. You deserve it. England deserves to be free of all the bother.

A United Ireland, an independent Scotland. Freeeeeeeeedom and democracy rules. Actually in the long run I'm coming round to the idea of Brexit. It has destroyed the UK as a Westminster dominated construct and will deliver a family of equal nations not subservient to one.

Well done brexiters I've been convinced.

How any brexit knob could deny Scotland or NI wishing to break that stranglehold is sweet irony.

Don't you see the parallels?Don't you get that you have started the breakup

I think 'no' is the answer. They see what they want to see and cant compute the rest.

The UK is just a smaller version of the EU. The brexit lot don't see the big picture. By wrenching yourselves from Brussels you give the very same argument for the nation states to have there own self determination. The UK is not a nation. It is a group of four nations run centrally from London. How any brexit knob could deny Scotland or NI wishing to break that stranglehold is sweet irony.

Is it more or less ironic in reverse? i.e. the SNP wanting to break away from one union (the UK) but remain part of another (the EU)?

p.s. As Richard Osman would testify, the UK is a 'nation'... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Member_states_of_the_United_Nations :)

128010.jpg

Edited by trousers

Is it more or less ironic in reverse? i.e. the SNP wanting to break away from one union (the UK) but remain part of another (the EU)?

p.s. As Richard Osman would testify, the UK is a 'nation'... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Member_states_of_the_United_Nations :)

128010.jpg

The UK and NI is only a sovereign nation so long as the peoples of constituent parts want it to be. The UN charter specifically addresses self determination, whilst its is not clear cut, the right to self determination for the peoples of Scotland and NI even Wales cannot be dismissed and the UN would have little problem in recognising them either as new sovereign states or in the case of NI as new territory of the Republic of Ireland. The fact that as of today the UN recognise a single sovereign is merely a transient point in history, they used to recognise Yugoslavia, the USSR where are they today. Antrimsaint is correct quitters are swapping membership of a multi national beneficial union for the break up of our historical union and the regression of England to a bit part player on the international stage. The so called Conservative and Unionist party are complicit in this tragedy, behaving more like a Colonial than Sovereign Nation government. Sadly many of those who voted for this act of national harm will not be around pick up the pieces, I am sure our future generations will be ever grateful for their vission!,

Well naturally I disagree with all of the above garbage. Furthermore, there really is no great need for anyone on here to "infer" that you are a bit thick Les when you strive so earnestly to prove the point on a daily basis. But I do actually welcome your sudden conversion into contributor who now at least pretends to give a hoot about the fate of this old nation - for who amongst us could possibly forget your infamous "not bothered" reaction to that grim prospect. You can rest assured that I certainly won't.

But do comfort yourself with the thought that God loves a singer who repents of his ways.

Which singers are we talking of here, Charles? Those who took drugs, indulged in sex with under age girls (or boys), all forgiven by God if they repented their sins, eh? Give me some names of groups or solo artistes.

Come on, Charles, why don't you amuse we Brexiteers also by chiding the Scots who wish to break up the UK as Little Scotlanders, who are jeopardising their children's futures?

Don't you see the parallels?Don't you get that you have started the breakup. It's your fault. Don't blame anyone else. Well done, well played. Own it. You deserve it. England deserves to be free of all the bother.

A United Ireland, an independent Scotland. Freeeeeeeeedom and democracy rules. Actually in the long run I'm coming round to the idea of Brexit. It has destroyed the UK as a Westminster dominated construct and will deliver a family of equal nations not subservient to one.

Well done brexiters I've been convinced.

I don't have a problem with Scotland or NI doing their own thing.

It didn't take long for Wee Krankie's plans for yet another Scottish Independence Referendum to hit the buffers within hours of her announcing the SNP's intentions.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/15/nicola-sturgeon-abandons-bid-remain-eu-poll-shows-record-level/

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/15/eurosceptic-views-in-scotland-pose-dilemma-for-nicola-sturgeon

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/14/spain-independent-scotland-would-be-at-the-back-of-eu-queue

So you can rest at peace in your bed, Charles

It didn't take long for Wee Krankie's plans for yet another Scottish Independence Referendum to hit the buffers within hours of her announcing the SNP's intentions.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/15/nicola-sturgeon-abandons-bid-remain-eu-poll-shows-record-level/

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/15/eurosceptic-views-in-scotland-pose-dilemma-for-nicola-sturgeon

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/14/spain-independent-scotland-would-be-at-the-back-of-eu-queue

So you can rest at peace in your bed, Charles

Les - what point are you trying to make? Have you looked at the underlying data and thought for yourself what the numbers say (for once). Frankly they don't support the weight some are putting on them.

Try to slow down old fella - you'll give yourself a heart attack :lol:

Edited by shurlock

128010.jpg

If we're going to be pedantic "state" not "nation"

128010.jpg

Ps RICHARD OSMAN and......... what. You have confused me sir with your introduction of irrelevance.. Wikipedia as fact? You are a bewildered person

Les - what point are you trying to make? Have you looked at the underlying data and thought for yourself what the numbers say (for once). Frankly they don't support the weight some are putting on them.

Try to slow down old fella - you'll give yourself a heart attack :lol:

I'm perfectly relaxed over the whole thing, Shatlock. I've waited patiently since Maastricht for an opportunity to vote on leaving the EU and now it is actually happening, so happy days. :p Obstacles occasionally crop up and are then overcome. Why would these pitfalls to the SNP's independence plans threaten my health? They gave me a good belly laugh, which I understand is beneficial to one's health, but I'm really quite ambivalent as to whether the Scots or Irish come with us on the journey towards the increased prosperity we will enjoy once freed from the shackles of the EU. I would prefer us to go forwards together, but I'm not going to lose any sleep if they don't.

I'm perfectly relaxed over the whole thing, Shatlock. I've waited patiently since Maastricht for an opportunity to vote on leaving the EU and now it is actually happening, so happy days. :p Obstacles occasionally crop up and are then overcome. Why would these pitfalls to the SNP's independence plans threaten my health? They gave me a good belly laugh, which I understand is beneficial to one's health, but I'm really quite ambivalent as to whether the Scots or Irish come with us on the journey towards the increased prosperity we will enjoy once freed from the shackles of the EU. I would prefer us to go forwards together, but I'm not going to lose any sleep if they don't.

And I thought you would engage with the data Les - http://www.ssa.natcen.ac.uk/media/38910/ssa16-2fr8m-1ndyref-2-1ndyr8f-tw0-two.pdf (pages 14-16) or at least concede the DT chart/description is frankly disingenuous. Silly me :lol:

Keep on recanting the kipper equivalent of 72 virigins in paradise. Support for Scottish independence is at its highest level since 1999, David Davis admitting the UK governent hasn't assessed the economic impact of leaving the EU without a deal, Hammond crumbling under the slighest bit of pressure over NICs for the self-employed and midtable UK is about to enter unprecedented negotiations with a far more powerful party.

Reality beckons pal.

And I thought you would engage with the data Les - http://www.ssa.natcen.ac.uk/media/38910/ssa16-2fr8m-1ndyref-2-1ndyr8f-tw0-two.pdf (pages 14-16) or at least concede the DT chart/description is frankly disingenuous. Silly me :lol:

Keep on recanting the kipper equivalent of 72 virigins in paradise. Support for Scottish independence is at its highest level since 1999, David Davis admitting the UK governent hasn't assessed the economic impact of leaving the EU without a deal, Hammond crumbling under the slighest bit of pressure over NICs for the self-employed and midtable UK is about to enter unprecedented negotiations with a far more powerful party.

Reality beckons pal.

*YAWN*

Good, now we see trees and the wood. At least you are clear in your argument and not a Hippocrite

Personally, I'd say 'yes' to NI having a vote to leave the UK. I'd say 'no' to Scotland having one. It's not my decision to make, but fair's fair and the sweaties have had their referendum so it's only right that NI gets a chance. Have a vote, abide by the result, simples!

Which singers are we talking of here, Charles? Those who took drugs, indulged in sex with under age girls (or boys), all forgiven by God if they repented their sins, eh? Give me some names of groups or solo artistes.

Come on, Charles, why don't you amuse we Brexiteers also by chiding the Scots who wish to break up the UK as Little Scotlanders, who are jeopardising their children's futures?

Anyone who didn't know you by now may have assumed that as your side prevailed in last year's referendum, and furthermore we now have a Tory Prime Minister in office who seems hell-bent on achieving the most extreme (and hence damaging of course) form of Brexit possible, this might all have mellowed your personality a little. After all, you and your type are now living the Little Englander dream are you not?

But no, instead of enjoying your euro-sceptic triumph you appear to be becoming ever more bitter and obsessive on the subject, endlessly picking pointless fights with anyone foolish enough listen to you. I genuinely believe that - in your mind - every opinion that you see on this tread that does not happen to conform with your own particular brand of extremist viewpoint is assumed to be some kind of personal affront intended for your eyes only - as if you were the centre of the known universe. Well *Newsflash* time Les - when people express their grnuine fears for the economic and constitutional future of their nation you and your dysfunctional ego problems are not necessarily the first thing on their minds - yes a shocking thing to read I know! This issue confronting the British people is something that is far bigger than the Sez Les Show.

As for the Scottish question, as well as telling me you were not bothered about that little poser I can also recall you telling me not so long ago that the dismantling of the United Kingdom was (and I will quote you here) "a price worth paying" anyway - as long as you got your way and we departed the European Union. Well then, it seems to me that instead of adopting your oh so familiar 'deny everything' tactic in regard to any possible negative consequence of Brexit you would do better to have the courage of your own convictions and accept that what may well be about to happen to the UK is just a inevitable consequence of the outcome you sought.

Your mother did teach you that actions have consequences didn't she?

Referring to guided missile only. Thanks for your assumption. For your info. I'm married to an Englishwoman with an English son born into a loyalist household so not a "Mick" either. As for supporting an English club, I didn't think we had to pass the you have to be English to support an English club.

Goodness the little Englanders really have piped up since Brexit with their racism, bitterness and vitriol.

It's ok though cos you're getting a shiny new boat for the Queen. Facepalm.

Why do you support an English club? Just support a Northern Irish one.

Good, now we see trees and the wood. At least you are clear in your argument and not a Hippocrite

You might see trees and wood. Round here you will be lucky to see many with all these new housing developments ripping the **** out of the beautiful countryside surrounding the village I live. Desperately trying to meet the demand for housing in this Remainer's paradise of mass uncontrolled immigration.

Presumably you checked St. Mary's wasn't a Catholic church to allow you to support saints.

Christ it's not is it. That bars me then. Tell mash head he can have his club back. Tis not for me those left footers.

That's what the unintended consequences are!!!!!!! Try living there to see how scared people are. All this because of bloody straight bananas.

It is all rather unsettling but a Scottish referendum is not going to help. Most Scots don't want it because it was a very divisive and unpleasant process. The vast majority of Brexiters did not vote out because they are little Englanders; 44% of your compatriots voted out, nearly 40% of Scots and a majority of the Welsh. They voted out because the EU is dysfunctional, inefficient, financially unaccountable, undemocratic, dictatorial and because they were concerned that you can sign up for unlimited immigration.

As regards supporting Saints, I think it is great but if I lived so far away I would probably follow a more glamorous team. My taxi driver in Belfast a few years ago told me that there were two types of supporters there, Manchester United and ABU's.

Looks like Rutte is going to form the next government in the Netherlands.

The perennially wrong trident and the other cross-eyed loons who've been creaming themselves that Brexit would create a domino effect are going to have to wait a little longer :lol:

1 down, 2 to go.

. They voted out because the EU is dysfunctional, inefficient, financially unaccountable, undemocratic, dictatorial and because they were concerned that you can sign up for unlimited immigration.

Dont you see you just proved the point. Replace EU with Westminster and you see the point. How accountable is a Tory govt to voters in Scotland, Wales, NI. How many voted for May as our prime minister.

You find reasons for the EU being a bureacratic nightmare i give you a dysfunctional, inefficient, financially unaccountable, undemocratic, dictatorial Govt in London.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Brexit - Post Match Reaction