• Leave Before - Leave Now
    • Leave Before - Remain Now
    • Leave Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Remain Before - Remain Now
    • Remain Before - Leave Now
    • Remain Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Leave Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Remain Now
    • I've never been bothered - Why am I on this Thread?
    • No second Ref - 2016 was Definitive and Binding

Barnier confirming today that in the event of a "no deal", the EU will only progress to talks around any "comprehensive free trade deal" once the UK agree to resolving Citizens Rights, the financial settlement and, err, protecting the Irish border. You know, all that stuff in the withdrawal agreement. That.

All. Of. It.

No deal just means signing up to the deal, eventually.

Barnier confirming today that in the event of a "no deal", the EU will only progress to talks around any "comprehensive free trade deal" once the UK agree to resolving Citizens Rights, the financial settlement and, err, protecting the Irish border. You know, all that stuff in the withdrawal agreement. That.

All. Of. It.

No deal just means signing up to the deal, eventually.

Well if course - the notion that we could hold any of these back was frankly, ridiculous, and I have to say there has been a rather startling lack of defence recently from the Jihadist's. Where are they all? Have they finally realised they were wrong, and were duped, or have they all died of old age?

Well if course - the notion that we could hold any of these back was frankly, ridiculous, and I have to say there has been a rather startling lack of defence recently from the Jihadist's. Where are they all? Have they finally realised they were wrong, and were duped, or have they all died of old age?

I imagine most of them are as tired as I am of this interminably boring remainer circle-jerk. You crack on lads, if only you'd all been as smugly eloquent two and a half years ago you wouldn't be trying vainly for a best of three rerun now.

I imagine most of them are as tired as I am of this interminably boring remainer circle-jerk. You crack on lads, if only you'd all been as smugly eloquent two and a half years ago you wouldn't be trying vainly for a best of three rerun now.

Ditto

DT reporting that 1922 Committee saying May must go. Hate to tell Charles Moore this, but your boneheads took their aim late last year and missed - you have to wait until the next opportunity. Despite the fact they told everyone in public what enormous support they had. Then they had a second opportunity with the third reading of May’s vote, but it wasn’t ideologically pure enough for a hardcore of the Minford extremists. Now it is out of their hands altogether.

This is what happens to you when you let Boris and your owners take over what goes on the pages. Must be a bit like working for Harry Redknapp when he is your Director of Football. Job security - nil.

DT reporting that 1922 Committee saying May must go. Hate to tell Charles Moore this, but your boneheads took their aim late last year and missed - you have to wait until the next opportunity. Despite the fact they told everyone in public what enormous support they had. Then they had a second opportunity with the third reading of May’s vote, but it wasn’t ideologically pure enough for a hardcore of the Minford extremists. Now it is out of their hands altogether.

This is what happens to you when you let Boris and your owners take over what goes on the pages. Must be a bit like working for Harry Redknapp when he is your Director of Football. Job security - nil.

Yet apparently, according to the likes of Raab and Boris, everything would have been so different if they had negotiated with the EU. instead of May.

Pellegrino last season demonstrated better tactical nous than the Brexiteer crew.

Yet apparently, according to the likes of Raab and Boris, everything would have been so different if they had negotiated with the EU. instead of May.

Pellegrino last season demonstrated better tactical nous than the Brexiteer crew.

Even though Raab was the one that negotiated the WA with the EU...

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/how-to-cope-with-brexit-anxiety-instead-of-just-getting-really-fking-angry-20190409184515

How to cope with Brexit anxiety instead of just getting really f**king angry

9th April 2019

DO YOU awaken every day with a gnawing feeling of dread and impotent rage about the country going to the dogs, whichever way you voted? Here’s how to cope:

Turn it into a pseudo-scientific health condition and write a book

Loads of people are making money out of this, so why not you? Call your condition ‘Branxiety’ and bash out a book about your struggles, do the mid-morning TV rounds and rake in the cash. Make a success of Brexit.

Take up running

Not only will the endorphins lift your mood but you’ll be nice and fit for when you have to storm parliament because the government ignored your ‘will’ or run away after looting a shop in the no-deal apocalypse, depending how it works out.

Stop talking to other humans

All conversations eventually lead to Brexit, so stop exposing yourself to both outraged remainers and rabid Brexiters. Instead talk to your plants or pets, none of whom will bend your ear about getting conscripted into an EU army.

Become one of those Brexit social media people

It doesn’t matter which side you’re on; obsessively post every tiny development that could be construed as a gain for your side, no matter how unlikely or dodgily-sourced. You’ll be so consumed with your Likes you’ll completely forget what it’s actually about.

Burn your own house down

Sometimes being properly distracted from your problems is all you need to feel better. Gutting your house with fire should provide enough of a diversion to forget about Brexit for a while.

Wise words

Edited by trousers

It doesn’t matter which side you’re on; obsessively post every tiny development that could be construed as a gain for your side, no matter how unlikely or dodgily-sourced. You’ll be so consumed with your Likes you’ll completely forget what it’s actually about.

Doesn’t this apply to all remainers? Or those who wish to Brexit, noone is listening to anyone else. It’s all become graphs and slandering each other.

Doesn’t this apply to all remainers? Or those who wish to Brexit, noone is listening to anyone else. It’s all become graphs and slandering each other.

No pal. We only use the finest sources ;)

I think that happened by about page 3 of this thread, tbh. I'm pretty much neutral on the remain v leave argument, (I've always said remaining would mean more money in our pockets while leaving would give us at least the possibility of retaining or regaining a greater level of autonomy, both of which are worthy of sensible discussion,) and in its early days there was some reasonably intelligent and informative/informed debate on here. But it descended rapidly into a laughable internet cock-waving contest, mainly I have to say fuelled by the remainers on here howling in impotent fury over a battle that was lost more than two years ago. It's gone beyond parody and it's hardly surprising so few posters are bothering with it any longer. I only bothered myself in the early hours of this morning because I couldn't sleep and wanted to bore myself into unconsciousness.

I think that happened by about page 3 of this thread, tbh. I'm pretty much neutral on the remain v leave argument, (I've always said remaining would mean more money in our pockets while leaving would give us at least the possibility of retaining or regaining a greater level of autonomy, both of which are worthy of sensible discussion,) and in its early days there was some reasonably intelligent and informative/informed debate on here. But it descended rapidly into a laughable internet cock-waving contest, mainly I have to say fuelled by the remainers on here howling in impotent fury over a battle that was lost more than two years ago. It's gone beyond parody and it's hardly surprising so few posters are bothering with it any longer. I only bothered myself in the early hours of this morning because I couldn't sleep and wanted to bore myself into unconsciousness.

:lol: Brexit is the sort of victory Pyrrhus of Epirus would win..

I think the problem was the Brexiteers, for whatever reason, couldn't explain themselves when their arguments were put under proper scrutiny. Apart from post misleading graphs and articles from pro-leave sources, they haven't been able to answer and prove their convictions - hence why it's been assumed that they voted leave because they were conned into doing it.

They've brought this on themselves, they really have.

How many times will Tessie be able to bring her failed 'deal' back to the Commons before October 31st ? Perhaps they should have added the extra 5 days so that we would have the chance to permanently bin the whole lot of them on November 5th.

How many times will Tessie be able to bring her failed 'deal' back to the Commons before October 31st ? Perhaps they should have added the extra 5 days so that we would have the chance to permanently bin the whole lot of them on November 5th.
Thing is she didn't even want an extension that long did she? I couldn't understand why she was pushing for another short delay given the HoC and various parties and factions still can't reach a consensus on anything ( bar maybe rejecting a no deal). A longer delay at least gives time for some sort of plan that they can all agree in to be worked up without the pressure of a short time scale....though if we are in the same position come October 31st no one would be surprised..

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Thing is she didn't even want an extension that long did she? I couldn't understand why she was pushing for another short delay given the HoC and various parties and factions still can't reach a consensus on anything ( bar maybe rejecting a no deal). A longer delay at least gives time for some sort of plan that they can all agree in to be worked up without the pressure of a short time scale....though if we are in the same position come October 31st no one would be surprised..

I think that she did want a longer extension - perhaps even a year. To have announced that would have caused her party to ignite with rage. She knew that the EU would want a longer extension than the end of June. She would have got a year if it hadn't been for Macron who was wanting to look tough before his forthcoming domestic and European elections.

The problem is what will she do with the extra year? Knowing her nothing until the end of September when she will try yet again to get her deal through the HoC. I would like to think that before the end of April a plan would have been approved by Parliament allowing time for a confirmatory referendum before the end of October... but I am not holding my breath.

Edited by Tamesaint

From another site;

Verhofstadt mockingly told JRM to, "be careful what you wish for". The six month extension gives the Tories the time to oust Mrs May and replace her with a PM more in tune with the majority of the electorate's mandate. Mrs May was aware of this and was one of the reasons why she wanted a short delay.

There is also another power play going on in Europe. With Mrs Merkel now a lame duck Chancellor, Macron and France find themselves positioned to be the senior partner in the EU sandpit hence Macron's moves to kick the UK out early rather than later.

...and this...

To see the UK crippled and a laughing stock but still in the EU will suit Macron's purposes very well. So far as I can see our MPs of all parties have managed to create a situation where there is no way out of the impasse. The harsh truth is that it is too late. The Uk no longer exists as a viable state.

I think that she did want a longer extension - perhaps even a year. To have announced that would have caused her party to ignite with rage. She knew that the EU would want a longer extension than the end of June. She would have got a year if it hadn't been for Macron who was wanting to look tough before his forthcoming domestic and European elections.

The problem is what will she do with the extra year? Knowing her nothing until the end of September when she will try yet again to get her deal through the HoC. I would like to think that before the end of April a plan would have been approved by Parliament allowing time for a confirmatory referendum before the end of October... but I am not holding my breath.

No, they are all going on holiday now. Priorities...

Borrowed...

Brexit Plan “B”

* Quietly Revoke A50

* Tell Brexiteers we’ve left with “No Deal / WTO”

* Send all Brexiteers Blue Passport covers

* Create special lanes with long delays for UK Blue Passport holders at airports / ports

* Charge them for roaming / data

* Give them food / medicine ration books

* Get on with life

Brexit sorted.

From another site;

Verhofstadt mockingly told JRM to, "be careful what you wish for". The six month extension gives the Tories the time to oust Mrs May and replace her with a PM more in tune with the majority of the electorate's mandate. Mrs May was aware of this and was one of the reasons why she wanted a short delay.

There is also another power play going on in Europe. With Mrs Merkel now a lame duck Chancellor, Macron and France find themselves positioned to be the senior partner in the EU sandpit hence Macron's moves to kick the UK out early rather than later.

...and this...

To see the UK crippled and a laughing stock but still in the EU will suit Macron's purposes very well. So far as I can see our MPs of all parties have managed to create a situation where there is no way out of the impasse. The harsh truth is that it is too late. The Uk no longer exists as a viable state.

Which site?

As no one will turn up to vote at the possible European Elections, I have decided to put myself up as a candidate to be elected to the European Parliament with a manifesto that will ensure I get votes just for a laugh. i will show willing for the first week then play the MEPs game of sign in and swan about, I will make full use of all the benefits for me and my family as an MEP - by the time I get thrown out on Halloween I should have accrued enough money in my pension pot to make sure I can keep the fire on throughout my old age.

So remember Vote for John Boy Saint!!

Thank you

Boris and The Daily Telegraph rapped over the knuckles with Ipsos humiliating him, Charles Moore and the Barclay Brothers by making them retract Boris’s blatant lies about no deal being the public’s preferred option in January. His article had no ‘basis in fact’ or accuracy and the DT had done nothing to back it up either. Or editorial staff were bullied into not correcting it? It breached clause one of the editors’s code of practice.

The idea that Brexit is the will of the people with that level of blatant dishonesty - and we won’t even go into his lies on the NHS which NAO ordered him not to repeat - is a f ucking joke.

Boris and The Daily Telegraph rapped over the knuckles with Ipsos humiliating him, Charles Moore and the Barclay Brothers by making them retract Boris’s blatant lies about no deal being the public’s preferred option in January. His article had no ‘basis in fact’ or accuracy and the DT had done nothing to back it up either. Or editorial staff were bullied into not correcting it? It breached clause one of the editors’s code of practice.

The idea that Brexit is the will of the people with that level of blatant dishonesty - and we won’t even go into his lies on the NHS which NAO ordered him not to repeat - is a f ucking joke.

There is a great book in this for someone - "Brexit - the Great British Con"

Ha silly Swiss maybe they should have spoken to the UK on how to run a referendum properly...

Switzerland's highest court overturns referendum as voters were poorly informed in country first

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/politics/switzerland-referendum-result-overturn-supreme-court-brexit-eu-vote-a8866131.html

Edited by doddisalegend

Will be a book called " how the UK gave up its Democracy ".

Yes, gave up its democracy by allowing Boris to lie in the DT front page in January by claiming no deal was the most popular option of the public (lie and pursued by IPSOS under chapter 1 of editors code). Before that gave up its democracy by Boris as leader of Leave campaign by claiming £350m extra per week for the NHS which was a lie the NAO ordered him to stop repeating. Oh, and the Leave campaign got a huge fine recently for breaking all manner of campaign funding and advertising rules. Shame 17.4 million British people don’t have the education to see when Putin is manipulating them. Still, we have world class education system, until the neoconservatives dismantle it, so people can learn when they are being taken for a ride.

Will be a book called " how the UK gave up its Democracy ".

Is it 'democratic' that a Government can win a Commons majority of 66 seats with 34.2% of the votes cast ? ( Tony Blair's last election victory ). Or that in the same election the LDs got 2/3rds of the votes that Labour got, but only 1/8th the number of MPs ?

Edited by badgerx16

Ha silly Swiss maybe they should have spoken to the UK on how to run a referendum properly...

Switzerland's highest court overturns referendum as voters were poorly informed in country first

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/politics/switzerland-referendum-result-overturn-supreme-court-brexit-eu-vote-a8866131.html

Got to love the 18 pictures of "top politicians tweets that haven't aged well..

JRM - "We could have two referendums. As it happens, it might make more sense to have the second after the renegotiation is completed" and so on

Whatever comes out of Brexit, and whoever gets into power next, this is what they have to tackle urgently: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-47853444

It's the top 1% who are pushing Brexit and slamming the door down onto people that want to be socially mobile, and have been over the last 30-40 years, what Thatcher and Blair would have called 'strivers'.

It'll require global action on tax havens and policies on multinationals contributing to infrastructure, much better to do that in close partnership with the EU. The other option is Corbyn, and we want to improve economic mobility, not destroy it entirely like he and his Marxists would.

Let's be clear: A trade deal with America under Trump = end of the NHS as the health insurance companies want freedom in that market. A gross betrayal of the 2016 vote with the lie that some of the £350m payments to the EU would go to the NHS. That's the real betrayal of democracy.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Brexit - Post Match Reaction