New Prime Minister

John B

You labelled me as a UKIP supporter and you were wrong. You accuse me of anti-semitism and you are wrong again. But think what you like; it doesn't bother me if you have to indulge in childish insults in order to make you feel good about yourself.

I must admit Les your shylock quip raises plenty of questions. The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

The notion that Vote Leave's blatant '£350m' lie might form the basis of a successful legal challenge to the referendum result is certainly a attractive idea in theory - indeed a lorry load of jam doughnuts crashing into a sugar refinery could hardly be more sweet. Unfortunately, if mere lying were to be considered grounds for invalidating votes then methinks that every British election result since 1708 would also have to be rerun ...

I must admit Les your shylock quip raises plenty of questions. The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

It was just a response to deliberately changing my name. I couldn't very well change it to Sherlock, or that might confer on you the assumption of a higher level of intelligence. Maybe I'll just withdraw from the childish name-calling and leave you to continue it if you wish.

And the next opportunity for head-exploding apoplexy and threats of Brexiter violence comes up in a few days, with this preliminary hearing:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/08/legal-attempt-prevent-brexit-preliminary-hearing-article-50

The first of many. Enjoy!

That's just plain bizarre and not a little scary -picketing a lawyer to protest use of the rule of law. Its part of the same mindset as burning books and lynchings

Edited by buctootim

So Liedsome's playing the "I am a mother" card. Its all about the kidz and having a future stake now.

Sounds fishily similar to the argument that younger people had a greater stake in the referendum than the blue rinsers that brexiters vehemently rejected and soiled their incontinence nappies over.

Leadsom due to announce that she is quitting the race to become PM shortly.

Lots of reaction on Twitter. I cant decide if this one is serious or not:

Andy KP ‏@ASKirkpatrick 45m @GuidoFawkes They think it's all over. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

So another Tory does a runner when faced with reality, and this is the party of Governemnt that is charged with the most important series of negotaitions in our peace time history. Suck it up leavers!!!!!

Done a runner ? Perhaps persuaded by the Conservative "barons" that there's not much point in hanging about for another 2 months for an internal election that you have no chance of winning.

Honestly there is no point in waiting until September( unless you're Brian Hyland of course) when the delay is obviously aggravating the situation, might as well get on with it.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Obviously her supporters took soundings from the party members over the weekend and she concluded that she couldn't win. With people like David Davis backing May she was always going to struggle with the grassroots even though she was a remain loser.

I'll hold fire on whether this is good or not until I've seen her cabinet . If Gideons gone and that ridiculous Soubry, if she gives Davis a decent role in Brexit , it maybe OK. But if it's more soaking wet Cameron like pinko rubbish , or John Major in a dress as Peter Hitchens called her, I'm out.

Obviously her supporters took soundings from the party members over the weekend and she concluded that she couldn't win. With people like David Davis backing May she was always going to struggle with the grassroots even though she was a remain loser.

I'll hold fire on whether this is good or not until I've seen her cabinet . If Gideons gone and that ridiculous Soubry, if she gives Davis a decent role in Brexit , it maybe OK. But if it's more soaking wet Cameron like pinko rubbish , or John Major in a dress as Peter Hitchens called her, I'm out.

Exactly. We've all got to pass a lot of water before we get any idea where we wil be standing.

Well the best candidate has ended up getting the job I think - which is quite surprising in a way given the national mood. And good luck to her because it is hard to imagine of a more problematic time - war excepted of course - to take on this always difficult position.

I must also say that there is a delicious irony here in that all the plotters and schemers who have done so much to damage our nation in pursuit of their own petty agendas and career prospects ended up with EXACTLY what they truely deserve.

Nothing.

Well the best candidate has ended up getting the job I think - which is quite surprising in a way given the national mood. And good luck to her because it is hard to imagine of a more problematic time - war excepted of course - to take on this always difficult position.

I must also say that there is a delicious irony here in that all the plotters and schemers who have done so much to damage our nation in pursuit of their own petty agendas and career prospects ended up with EXACTLY what they truely deserve.

Nothing.

To be honest I'm quite impressed by the efficiency of the establishment getting what it wants.

If you think Cameron was a Pinko you are deluded he has run the most right wing government for decades

Theresa May promised to fight “burning injustice” in British society, govern for the poor and marginalised, and create a union “between all of our citizens” what do you think about that

Talk is cheap I suppose and I can remember Margaret Thatcher making a similiar address back in 1979. Nevertheless, I was very impressed indeed with the new PM's speech outside Number Ten just now. I was especially encouraged with the stress she placed on the importance of maintaining the union - both with Scotland and with all the diverse peoples of this 'one nation'.

The coming months and years are going to be exceptionally difficult time for the UK one suspects, and as her predecessor will confirm all political careers end in failure. But for the first time in weeks I find myself experiencing a faint glimmer of hope that somehow our wonderful old nation can pull through and avoid disaster.

As the lady has said - all things are possible.

Theresa May promised to fight “burning injustice” in British society, govern for the poor and marginalised, and create a union “between all of our citizens” what do you think about that

I hope so. But she has couched those promises in terms of giving the marginalised 'more control' over their lives - whatever that means. So far she has said nothing about about one of the burning issues, restoring social mobility so people aren't locked in permanently to the circumstances they were born into.

If you think Cameron was a Pinko you are deluded he has run the most right wing government for decades

Not Lord Darkiehunter's cup of tea I suspect.

Let's hope Cameron isn't the only one moving out of Downing Street. It would be very disappointing for Osborne to keep his job, and would not bode well for the future.

GO comment on 6 years at the Treasury - "I hope I've left the economy in a better state than I found it."

GO comment on 6 years at the Treasury - "I hope I've left the economy in a better state than I found it."

Well lets see. We've borrowed an extra £655 billion under his watch and will borrow another £72 billion this year, nine years after the banking crisis. My wild guess is 'no'.

Jesus christ on a f*cking boris bike. Now I'm genuinely scared.

Maybe its just politics - he's bound to make a very public gaffe and its an easy way to dump him. She had to have some leave campaigners in the cabinet. She's got Davis and it was Hobson's choice between Gove, Boris and Leadsom.

Rubbish he's run a Ted Heath , John Major wet Tory government . A cigarette paper between Blair & Cameron's government . The fact he seemed happier in coalition says it all about the soaking wet pinko .

Moving on , great start from May imo . Binned Gideon , David Davis and Liam Fox given important Brexit roles and Boris deserves a major role . If she sacks that ludicrous hag Soubry and brings back grammar schools , my vote maybe returning home .

Overall that is a pretty well judged cabinet - but Boris Foreign Secretary? Jeez.

As cameron said in jest yesterday, they have had resignations, nominations, selection and coronation. All in the space of two weeks. Yet at a time when strong opposition is needed, the other lot cant even agree on the rules.

As cameron said in jest yesterday, they have had resignations, nominations, selection and coronation. All in the space of two weeks. Yet at a time when strong opposition is needed, the other lot cant even agree on the rules.

And add Reorganisation to that now

Overall that is a pretty well judged cabinet - but Boris Foreign Secretary? Jeez.

Somebody on BBC radio yesterday said that Foreign Secretary, whilst one of the "great offices", really amounts to very little these days. Trade & Industry, Defence, and in the new setup the 'Brexit' jobs, are more important.

On the face of it Boris Johnson and diplomacy go together about as well custard and baked beans. But I guess Mrs May is working on the principle that a Prime Minister should keep their friends close - and their enamies even closer.

The potential for a uniterupted run of embassing gaffs from are new Foreign Secretary seems quite high and wether foreigners will be prepared to overlook his future misdemeaners quite as readily as many British people do is a matter that is open to question.

Mind you, Boris being given just enough rope to go hang himself might be the plan here I suspect.