New Prime Minister

John B

I was actually hoping for Boris, not that I rate him, but he was the one I thought most likely to do a complete U turn and return to the EU in all but name. May, despite being a remainer (or at least gave lip service to it) seems set on implementing withdrawal in full. Gove is a serial incompetent - at both Justice and Education. He shouldnt be a minister let alone PM.

I hope Stephen Crabb wins it, though he's a very long shot imo.

So it turns out that Michael Gove - sometimes described as 'the nicest man in British politics' ends up kniefing his close friend and Prime Minister in the back and then turns aroundand does much the same to his erstwhile Bretix colleague Bojo the Clown.

They do say you should watch out for the quiet ones ...

Leadsom for me . Gove is head and shoulders above all of them imo , but carries too much baggage .

I'm with you on this one. I've been very impressed with how Leadsom came across during the referendum debates and if she doesn't come out in front for PM, then I would be surprised if she isn't in one of the top posts by the conclusion.

I suspect that it might be May though

So the 'final five' are...

Crabb

Fox

Gove

Leadsom

May

As much as I'm not a fan, I thought that May easily came over as the most calm, confident and commanding character. Crabb was interesting but I'm not sure he convinces me. Not yet, anyway.

Crabb has some rather 'interesting' views on gay people.

It has to be Theresa May, she is the only credible candidate.

Gove is a treacherous little **** isn't he? How could anybody trust him now? He completely went back on his word, and didn't even bother telling the candidate he had pledged his allegiance to that he had changed his mind, before stabbing him in the back!

Gove is a treacherous little **** isn't he? How could anybody trust him now? He completely went back on his word, and didn't even bother telling the candidate he had pledged his allegiance to that he had changed his mind, before stabbing him in the back!

I am not knowledgeable in the field of political science but it would seem to me that all of the attributes cited above are just what a top politician needs in his tool bag.:rolleyes:

Got to be Teresa May head and shoulders over the others a, and boris stabbed cameron in the back and groves stabbed them both.i expect his real bosses rupert murdock and paul dacre wanted him to run to furter there own interests....karma is a good thing.

May has just been making the right noises about setting up a Ministry for Brexit, headed by a Minister who campaigned for that. Also that any future trade arrangements agreed with them should not have any basis of freedom of movement of peoples as a condition. There would be no austerity budget, there would be no second referendum, and no re-entry via the back door. These are the sound bites I was hoping to hear.

May has just been making the right noises about setting up a Ministry for Brexit, headed by a Minister who campaigned for that. Also that any future trade arrangements agreed with them should not have any basis of freedom of movement of peoples as a condition. There would be no austerity budget, there would be no second referendum, and no re-entry via the back door. These are the sound bites I was hoping to hear.

A politician looking for election - of course you can trust everything she says.

Good luck with squaring that circle!

There may well be no second referendum, there may well be no re-entry, but if we have those two conditions then it's a given that we have an austerity budget however you wrap it up.

Why should there be no austerity budget what makes you think that.

Do you think that the Government since 2010 has not done a good job as Osborne has had loads of austerity type budgets reducing the size of the state and causing many to vote LEAVE as there living standards have not risen much but the top few percent have

If there is a slowing of the economy due to people like vote for OUT what should be done to get the country's finance under control it is highly likely this will happen as described in project Fear.

I think asking the hopefuls what their immediate plans for the economy is the most important thing at the moment otherwise the things you mention may not happen but I think all of the four will have your concerns under control but not today's economy.

Carney cant do much more so it will be up to Politicians to stimulate the economy

May has probably the best chance of bringing some sort of unity to the party and (hopefully) the country !

With her calm demeanour and non confrontational style, she would be my choice !

I suspect that she also has a steely inner self which will clearly be needed at this time of turmoil and uncertainty !

May has probably the best chance of bringing some sort of unity to the party and (hopefully) the country !

With her calm demeanour and non confrontational style, she would be my choice !

I suspect that she also has a steely inner self which will clearly be needed at this time of turmoil and uncertainty !

I could just about stomach her if she sacked Gideon . Talk of him becoming foreign sec would be a real ****ing joke. Remain lost this and to have two of the losers in prime positions would be a joke . I see she's also got that mad cow Anna Sloshbury in her camp. Sack both of them, make Leadsom Chancellor , Gove foreign sec , David David home sec and theyd get my vote back.

Would be great if the Tories had another female pm whilst the " progressive" Labour and lib/dumbs stil haven't had one even lead their parties.

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

Personally I favour Leadsom, as I said. I find very little to dislike about her and what she says

She won't get it, and I have high hopes for her, it will 100% be May as Gove's shown how much of a snake in the grass he is (others are just bit part players, not well know / do not have enough gravitas).

During the rounds of voting Leadsom will get knocked out at some point, she then needs to endorse May and fingers crossed she can be the UK's 1st ever female Chancellor of the Exchequer :)

I could just about stomach her if she sacked Gideon . Talk of him becoming foreign sec would be a real ****ing joke. Remain lost this and to have two of the losers in prime positions would be a joke . I see she's also got that mad cow Anna Sloshbury in her camp. Sack both of them, make Leadsom Chancellor , Gove foreign sec , David David home sec and theyd get my vote back.

Would be great if the Tories had another female pm whilst the " progressive" Labour and lib/dumbs stil haven't had one even lead their parties.

This wasn't a general election, although some people seem to be treating it as such.

Gove is not to be trusted with anything. Ever.

Edited by Whitey Grandad
Gove not Give - bloody Apple auto-correct

She won't get it, and I have high hopes for her, it will 100% be May as Gove's shown how much of a snake in the grass he is (others are just bit part players, not well know / do not have enough gravitas).

During the rounds of voting Leadsom will get knocked out at some point, she then needs to endorse May and fingers crossed she can be the UK's 1st ever female Chancellor of the Exchequer :)

I don't disagree with your comments - other than to dismiss the others as bit part players. We forget that Cameron himself was only 39 (I think) and had only been an MP for 4 years when he was made leader (2005) and was elected to PM some 4/5 years later (2010)...

Crabb was elected in 2005 (11 years in parliament) and has had 2 Cabinet positions. He is also a similar age to that of Cameron when elected as leader.

Leadsom admittedly has less parliamentary experience at 6 years - although still more than Cameron had...

Upwind, there's something about Crabb that I really like, he somehow feels genuine (however we know how this can be faked / manufactured all to well).

With the task ahead over the next few years I think tried and tested politicians have the upper hand in the selection process, we need steady people who are by the books right now even though it's a little dull and uninspiring.

Upwind, there's something about Crabb that I really like, he somehow feels genuine (however we know how this can be faked / manufactured all to well).

With the task ahead over the next few years I think tried and tested politicians have the upper hand in the selection process, we need steady people who are by the books right now even though it's a little dull and uninspiring.

True unfortunately. The Tories could afford to go with someone inexperienced in 2005 - they weren't in Government and needed to compete with Blair. This leader will go straight in to be PM in a time of Brexit and all the turmoil. May will be seen as the steady hand. Not my choice though.

I agree and I'm not really endorsing anyone. I think to find a 'safe pair of hands' amongst a unscrupulous bunch is a challenge in itself. I have to say I think Cameron would have been the sort of character needed - if circumstances had been different...

TM may prove to be more 'Thatcher-esk' in power and may well prove to be the iron-lady type we need.