Claude Puel Announced as New Manager - OFFICIAL

Jimmy_D

No freaking way is Koeman 9th best manager in the world.

I know. If you got 50 different people to compile a list you'd get 50 different lists. As I said though there were other good 'gettable' managers on the list. Just not hopeful on Puel, but hope to be proved wrong.

Has it been mentioned (sorry not trawling through pages and pages!) how eerily similar Southampton & Nice league records were last season?

Saints P38 W18 D9 L11 F59 A41 P63

Nice P38 W18 D9 L11 F58 A41 P63

!!

Great research. Thanks mate

But your comments about speakig through an interpreter and not wanting to be there also applied to Pochettinos time here and that wasn't too bad was it? Certain that is what Barry was alluding to.

As to how he projects at a press conference - so what. It is whether he has the buy-in from the players that counts (same as with Pochettino and the language barrier or otherwise). All things seem to indicate that he does and that is more important than whether he 'entertains' the public. Or are you saying someone ;like Redknapp would be better because his press conferences are more entertaining?

But your comments about speakig through an interpreter and not wanting to be there also applied to Pochettinos time here and that wasn't too bad was it? Certain that is what Barry was alluding to.

As to how he projects at a press conference - so what. It is whether he has the buy-in from the players that counts (same as with Pochettino and the language barrier or otherwise). All things seem to indicate that he does and that is more important than whether he 'entertains' the public. Or are you saying someone ;like Redknapp would be better because his press conferences are more entertaining?

Pochettino allegedly spoke English to the players and only conducted interviews with an interpreter. Im not saying Puel cant do it - but not speaking the language, appearing disengaged and not being a top level player previously are all disadvantages in a business which is all about credibility and getting 25 disparate individuals, many inernationals, to buy into your methods and ideas

Has it been mentioned (sorry not trawling through pages and pages!) how eerily similar Southampton & Nice league records were last season?

Saints P38 W18 D9 L11 F59 A41 P63

Nice P38 W18 D9 L11 F58 A41 P63

!!

Oh crap!! Our goals scored tally is going to take a nose dive!!!!

Pochettino allegedly spoke English to the players and only conducted interviews with an interpreter. Im not saying Puel cant do it - but not speaking the language, appearing disengaged and not being a top level player previously are all disadvantages in a business which is all about credibility and getting 25 disparate individuals, many inernationals, to buy into your methods and ideas

Because Mourinho has had a glistening playing career, add Wenger and SAF to that.

Yeah let's sack him - I'd much rather have Mark Hughes, Steve Bruce or Gary Neville...

Not sure what you consider to be top level in playing terms. 2 League champs, 3 cup winners and Cup Winners Cup runnerup and nearly 500 Ligue 1 appearances for one club is not too shabby. Wenger and Mourinho would have given their right arm to have that type of career.

Not sure what you consider to be top level in playing terms. 2 League champs, 3 cup winners and Cup Winners Cup runnerup and nearly 500 Ligue 1 appearances for one club is not too shabby. Wenger and Mourinho would have given their right arm to have that type of career.

Agreed. I did google him after typing that and his career stats were better than I remembered. All Im saying is that he is starting with some handicaps which makes it more difficult for him to succeed. Personally I would have preferred almost any other the other candidates bandied around - particularly Garcia, Pellegrino and de Boer. Still we are where we are and hopefully he will prove me wrong.

What Puel has in common with Poch is that they have repeatedly improved the clubs they were at, without necessarily having to use massive funds to do it. To me, that's the sign of a good manager and it gives me confidence he will be ok.

http://www.espnfc.com/english-premier-league/23/blog/post/2927343/the-premier-leagues-other-new-managers-includes-moyes-and-koeman

Puel was 'Hot property in Europe'

French journo/pundit Phillipe Auclair also very glowing in his praise.

Problem is xenophobes like Buctoo wants sound bites ala Harry Redknapp.

I am actually liking his dullness more.

http://www.espnfc.com/english-premier-league/23/blog/post/2927343/the-premier-leagues-other-new-managers-includes-moyes-and-koeman

Puel was 'Hot property in Europe'

French journo/pundit Phillipe Auclair also very glowing in his praise.

Problem is xenophobes like Buctoo wants sound bites ala Harry Redknapp.

I am actually liking his dullness more.

Ha. You berated posters on other threads telling them they shouldn't be discussing things you weren't interested in - and to show how uninterested you were you posted on the threads more than anyone else. When this was pointed out to you got pi ssy. Discussion board = discussion = different points of view. Sorry about that.

Edited by buctootim

Ha. You berated posters on other threads telling them they shouldn't be discussing things you weren't interested in - and to show how uninterested you were you posted on the threads more than anyone else. When this was pointed out to you got pi ssy. Discussion board = discussion = different points of view. Sorry about that.

Actually mocked them for giving it importance - sweet you see this as such a sign of hypocrisy

Anyway what's that got to do with hating Puel?

And I'm always 'pi say' ;-)

Alex Ferguson was a very, very good player, cut short by injury I think.

Retired as a player at the perfectly normal for the 70s not-cut-short age of 33 after a generally nondescript career in Scotland. Never accused of being "very, very good".

You seem to be describing Brian Clough in your post.

Brendan Rodgers had no trouble despite having a totally crap career....I remember Clyne saying that the chance to work one on one with Brenden was part of the reason he signed for Liverpool.......

The English will improve rapidly, he's plunged into an Anglophone environment and no doubt is taking lessons. Think the bloke is an excellent choice, in line with Saints' almost unique philosophy and approach, though of course the proof of the pudding remains to be seen.

Today's "Nice Matin" has an interesting extended interview with Julien Rodriguez, defender ex-Monaco, Rangers and Marseilles. To the question of which trainer had the most influence on JR, he responded that this was Claude, "without hesitation". He was a complete package, trained with the players, was almost more motivated than them, had a real philosophy of the game. The interviewer then commented that the Monaco style at the time was very rough, not dealing in subtleties - Rodriguez said that Puel at Nice could rely on good ball players, but when he doesn't have such, he will play differently in order to find the result he wants.

Be gone by January IMO

A bit premature but I can't say the thought hasn't crossed my mind.

Let's give him a chance, although he has a bit of work to do to convince and win over the supporters. Heard Merrington on Solent after CP's interview yesterday saying "that wouldn't motivate him to cross the street". Surprised he was so candid, but reflects a lot of supporters fears/views.

Absolutely pathetic, writing someone off after one competitive match.

It may well be but i would suggest a large group of supporters were not impressed with the appointment from the start. Nothing he has said or done has changed this opinion and many are concerned with our transfer activity so far this summer. The way the team reacted to conceding and there general play ( i put a lot of the improvement in the second half down to watford looking generally unfit ) in the first half suggested a distinct lack of team spirit existing in the camp which adds to the question marks surrounding our captain, leader on and off the pitch and last remaining part of the team that has progressed year on year since marcus saved us.

Pathetic maybe, Unwarranted?

After one match you are writing him off? How pathetic, we had a bad first half yesterday which cost us the 3 points and then improved massively in the second. I'll take a point, but loosing 2 isn't the end if the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be gone by January IMO

That's the spirit! You really are a little ray of sunshine aren't you? I see you have already chosen Cedric as your Pelle replacement. Now you have judged the new manager on just one game. I seem to remember us losing the first game of last season quite badly yet still went on for a our best Premiership finish ever. You really are a prize plum.

A bit premature but I can't say the thought hasn't crossed my mind.

Let's give him a chance, although he has a bit of work to do to convince and win over the supporters. Heard Merrington on Solent after CP's interview yesterday saying "that wouldn't motivate him to cross the street". Surprised he was so candid, but reflects a lot of supporters fears/views.

And yet he has had a good career so far so perhaps he has something about him? He also clearly impressed Les and the Board. I don't think his job is to motivate ex managers or hyper critical internet warriors. His job is to get results. Lets judge him on that and give him more than one game shall we?

I don't see what's wrong with questioning his ability? As people point out, he will be judged on results and will win people round if he does well. He will go up in my estimate if he is willing to try different formations. If we keep with the diamond it could be tough.

I don't see what's wrong with questioning his ability? As people point out, he will be judged on results and will win people round if he does well. He will go up in my estimate if he is willing to try different formations. If we keep with the diamond it could be tough.

I don't see what's wrong with people questioning his ability either, except when they do so on the back of one game and when they have no other qualification than having been to a few games or, even worse, from their armchair.

Be gone by January IMO

I doubt it. The club aren't exactly trigger happy with managers unless we look nailed on for relegation he will be given time and support by the club. Koeman got away with a very average start, a **** poor middle and a decent end to last season which covered up some real dross being severed up with out any threat of being sacked.

I doubt it. The club aren't exactly trigger happy with managers unless we look nailed on for relegation he will be given time and support by the club. Koeman got away with a very average start, a **** poor middle and a decent end to last season which covered up some real dross being severed up with out any threat of being sacked.

if we are to believe Guan, Koeman was two games away from the sack in the winter.

whether that was all to do with results, we will never know

I don't see what's wrong with people questioning his ability either, except when they do so on the back of one game and when they have no other qualification than having been to a few games or, even worse, from their armchair.

Footballs all about opinions. Hopefully in a few months he will have won everyone over and people can get back on picking on individual players!

Footballs all about opinions. Hopefully in a few months he will have won everyone over and people can get back on picking on individual players!

I know it is about opinions, but when those opinions are based on seeing 90 minutes (and I suspect that many of the whingers didn't even make it to SMS yesterday) and not working in a professional capacity in football, then surely they can be disregarded. They may well be prophetic but that is more luck than knowledge.

I know it is about opinions, but when those opinions are based on seeing 90 minutes (and I suspect that many of the whingers didn't even make it to SMS yesterday) and not working in a professional capacity in football, then surely they can be disregarded. They may well be prophetic but that is more luck than knowledge.

may as well close this message board down then. any opinion good or bad is pointless.

it was like John Terry's comment about Robbie Savage's opinions being worthless as he won very little as a player

may as well close this message board down then. any opinion good or bad is pointless.

it was like John Terry's comment about Robbie Savage's opinions being worthless as he won very little as a player

Not at all. There are opinions right or wrong, and there are some that are so banal that it isn't worth even writing them.

BAtman, you've written him off. Did you go to the game yesterday?

so what if I have.?

does it matter?

to suggest people should not express opinions (on a football message board ffs) unless they have some sort of experience in working in professional football is just bizarre

Ah ha. A mighty warrior based in the arm chair it is then. Much the best place to watch a game, form an opinion of the manager and be able to write him off. Unfortunately I am not as skilled as you in these fine arts, so will have to wait a while to see how things turn out. As I say, you may well turn out to be right. But as I say, this place is so full of miserable ****s who can't get behind the team (although they profess that they do) that it is not worth spending £5 any more.

Ah ha. A mighty warrior based in the arm chair it is then. Much the best place to watch a game, form an opinion of the manager and be able to write him off. Unfortunately I am not as skilled as you in these fine arts, so will have to wait a while to see how things turn out. As I say, you may well turn out to be right. But as I say, this place is so full of miserable ****s who can't get behind the team (although they profess that they do) that it is not worth spending £5 any more.

so, what are your professional footballing credentials then?

why are you getting wound up because I think the manager will flunk it.

chill out ffs

I don't have any, but then I haven't written the manager off after 90 minutes.

oh right, you only need to have worked in professional football to have opinions different from yours

ok, thanks for letting us know

chill out mate, ffs

I just think that the fans moral has been knocked as we get to a decent position year on year and or heroes are sold from beneath us. Slowly people will be turned off as they will see that they are being mugged off.

If the plan is to develop and sell, perhaps the owners should drop the ticket prices