Sammy Lee

9-3

A big thank you to Sammy Lee.

Such an infectious character.

Watching all of 'Saints Match Day Uncovered' after the match he would wait outside the dressing rooms and shake every hand including the opponents.

According to 'All the Saints', Chris Nicholl bought him in on a free transfer in 1990. He made two first team substitute appearances.

A big thank you to Sammy Lee.

Such an infectious character.

Watching all of 'Saints Match Day Uncovered' after the match he would wait outside the dressing rooms and shake every hand including the opponents.

According to 'All the Saints', Chris Nicholl bought him in on a free transfer in 1990. He made two first team substitute appearances.

agreed. we underestimate his affect on morale, an ever more important factor. Have to say I think this is a big mistake

Erwin was Assistant Manager and Jan Kluitenburg was First Team Coach, with Sammy Lee as First Team Assistant Coach. Eric Black has now replaced Erwin as Assistant Manager but according the the OS, Pascal Planque is to be the First Team Assistant Coach, so it seems he is replacing Sammy. Whether Sammy was asked to leave or whether he resigned isn't clear, It seems that Jan Kluitenburg's job as First Team Coach hasn't been filled, so unless responsibilities have been changed around, it is possible there may be another appointment because at the moment 4 staff have left but only 3 have come in.

Don't be entirely surprised to see Sammy Lee end up at Everton now (despite his unpopularity there). I believe we planned to keep him until the "Eric speaks French" plan came to pass.

Koeman is already getting a bit of stick over the Stek signing. Sammy would not help him off to the best of starts.....

Liked Sammy Lee. Shame.......

Sometimes you think surely we could have found him a decent role but then again there are numerous characters like that over the years with not enough room for them all.....

I hope he does well where ever he goes...

He clearly hated Klippity-Klop as well and wound him up when we went 3-2 up so the blue noses will like that - though not his past. Met him in 1990 when he was on the way to Neil Madison's wedding (I think - I was putting petrol in his car). Was a top bloke then and a top bloke in The Wycombe Arms in Winchester for the past few years. Will be missed

I sometimes wonder if his enthusiasm for Saints was less than his enthusiasm for Liverpool---will the flow of our best to his old club now end?

Nope, the flow existed before Sammy and will do afterwards. It's Liverpool's board and transfer team that are obsessed with our club not it's managers and that's why it won't change.

Do we know if it was his choice to leave or the club's ?

....not exactly sure what he was doing mixed in with the Koeman Klan's training programme.

RK said he found it hard to understand his Scouse accent, and I suspect that Puel would have even more problem with him (given the level of Puel's English).

Great character,(Sammy) but will probably be happier getting a fit with a Northern club.

Loved his enthusiasm and will remember his celebrations at West Ham away two years ago when we won 3-1 and it kickstarted a terrific run. His celebrations when Pelle scored the 3rd were brilliants and showed a real back room commitment.

• 3 weeks later...

precisely as I predicted in #24

.....Sammy's got a job with " a Northern outfit ".....better chance that Big Sam will understand his Scouse accent.

.....and to think .... just what a couple of years with Saints can do for your future job prospects.:D

at least they'll be someone in the England camp who knows what Saints' players are capable of .......

Edited by david in sweden

Sammy was BFS's assistant at the Reebok for 18 months.

Also was Bolton manager when Sam left for a short time which went terribly.

Thankfully disastrous short term stints of Premier League management never get brought up by the learned members of this forum.

Sammy Lee has always been one of my favorite players in the past. In the coaching role he's done well as asistent as well. 100% commitment every time and everywhere. Very sad to see this lad go. Simply don't undestand this. I wish Sammy all the best in the future.

Sammy Lee has always been one of my favorite players in the past. In the coaching role he's done well as asistent as well. 100% commitment every time and everywhere. Very sad to see this lad go. Simply don't undestand this. I wish Sammy all the best in the future.

The 2 games he played for us were sensational. I've always been a fan of Marco Almeida personally.

Thankfully disastrous short term stints of Premier League management never get brought up by the learned members of this forum.

Why should it?

Caretaker Manager is the poisoned chalice .......if the team is playing so badly, it doesn't matter who has the task after the manager has gone.

......might just as well run an on-line poll, and let fans choose an interim side......then they'd have nothing more to complain about .

Caretaker Manager is the poisoned chalice .......if the team is playing so badly, it doesn't matter who has the task after the manager has gone.

......might just as well run an on-line poll, and let fans choose an interim side......then they'd have nothing more to complain about .

Sammy Lee was appointed Bolton manager, not caretaker manager.

of course, but I don't think anyone could have turned them around in such a short-time. They were pretty diabolical, as memory serves.

Your memory is terrible. He took over from Sam Allardyce off the back of three top eight finishes in a row - I think they finished the previous season in seventh or eighth.

If that's "pretty diabolical" and a situation that you don't think anybody could have "turned round" then you must think Saints are diabolical too.

Your memory is terrible. He took over from Sam Allardyce off the back of three top eight finishes in a row - I think they finished the previous season in seventh or eighth.

If that's "pretty diabolical" and a situation that you don't think anybody could have "turned round" then you must think Saints are diabolical too.

If memory serves, Sammy immediately tried to change their style of play, only to find a squad built by Allardyce that wasn't overly stocked with players who could pass the ball on the ground.