Penalty miss by Pellé

Professor

A lot of Saints' fans will have had a great deal of pleasure watching how well Graziano has performed for Italy in the Euros. I really feel for him this morning as he will be devastated by that penalty miss, which if scored, would have taken Italy past Germany into the Semi-Finals. There is an element of luck with penalties as the keeper has to make a decision, whether to dive and if so which way, so that sometimes luck will be with the keeper. But this miss by Pellé was a real miss, beyond the post, which is worse than having your kick saved. Good reasons of course - the pressure of the occasion and the exhaustion after 120 minutes of football - I don't think he deserves to be blamed and he was far from being the only player to fail to score in the penalty competition, but I do think it highlights how exceptional both Matt Le Tiss and Rickie Lambert were, as penalty takers. Although I was rooting for Italy, I'm also quite pleased that we will have Graziano back for pre-season earlier than might have been the case. As always for some of us, it's club before country.

anyone missing the goal from a free kick, 12 yards out is unforgivable. Let alone giving it the big one before taking the shot, like pelle did a bit

Zaza's was worse and Muller's was just plain daft

Ive always wondered why he didnt take them for us - you'd think any striker - especially an international - would fancy taking pens and adding a few more to their tally each season. Instead weve had Tadic, JWP and Sadio take them instead - none of which have filled with the same confidence as Lambert . I know it was a high pressure situation, but his kick was terrible . I can now see why we used the others ahead of him.

anyone missing the goal from a free kick, 12 yards out is unforgivable. Let alone giving it the big one before taking the shot, like pelle did a bit

Yes Matt Le Tissier - you ought to be ashamed of yourself for missing that one....:blush:.

but whilst we're on the subject of missed penalties...........Schweinsteiger's miss didn't impress me either..........:thumbdown:

Edited by david in sweden

Pelle's penalty last night really was one of the worst I have seen in a long time. It certainly demonstrated to me why he has never taken one for Saints (thankfully). Even if it had been on target it was so weak Neuer would have saved it with ease.

Yes Matt Le Tissier - you ought to be ashamed of yourself for missing that one....:blush:.

but whilst we're on the subject of missed penalties...........Schweinsteiger's miss didn't impress me either..........:thumbdown:

Pedant Klaxon ....... MLT's penalty was not a MISS .... it was saved.

Pelle's was a MISS, and a poor one at that!!

He seems more comfortable striking a ball on the volley than stationary.

Pedant Klaxon ....... MLT's penalty was not a MISS .... it was saved.

Pelle's was a MISS, and a poor one at that!!

He seems more comfortable striking a ball on the volley than stationary.

Could be worse we could have just paid 30 million for a player and then have seen him blast his penalty wide!

Context is everything. Back to back games, 120 minutes against the best opposition in the world and the pressure of knowing success would mean your country going through. No wonder some buckled, I bet it was all he could do to even walk to the spot and Neuer did look huge!

I

A lot of Saints' fans will have had a great deal of pleasure watching how well Graziano has performed for Italy in the Euros. I really feel for him this morning as he will be devastated by that penalty miss, which if scored, would have taken Italy past Germany into the Semi-Finals. There is an element of luck with penalties as the keeper has to make a decision, whether to dive and if so which way, so that sometimes luck will be with the keeper. But this miss by Pellé was a real miss, beyond the post, which is worse than having your kick saved. Good reasons of course - the pressure of the occasion and the exhaustion after 120 minutes of football - I don't think he deserves to be blamed and he was far from being the only player to fail to score in the penalty competition, but I do think it highlights how exceptional both Matt Le Tiss and Rickie Lambert were, as penalty takers. Although I was rooting for Italy, I'm also quite pleased that we will have Graziano back for pre-season earlier than might have been the case. As always for some of us, it's club before country.

Pelle wasn't 'that' good in the Euro's and in one game didn't turn up at all......

The pen miss was very poor...

Pelle was clearly petrifed with nerves, as were several other players on both sides. The irony is that the 120th minute substitution of 'penalty taker' Zaza for Chiellini ultimately cost Italy the game.

Overall, up until that point, I think Pelle had a very good tournament.

It was a poor penalty, the worst since... Italy's previous one! However, as much as it is criminal not to hit the target, the real embarrassment were his pre-penalty antics. Telling Neuer you're going to chip him with a load of bravado, and then squirming it wide... Face Palm!

Context is everything. Back to back games, 120 minutes against the best opposition in the world and the pressure of knowing success would mean your country going through. No wonder some buckled, I bet it was all he could do to even walk to the spot and Neuer did look huge!

Pelle was clearly petrifed with nerves, as were several other players on both sides. The irony is that the 120th minute substitution of 'penalty taker' Zaza for Chiellini ultimately cost Italy the game.

Overall, up until that point, I think Pelle had a very good tournament.

I think you might forgive a missed penalty, possibly even a poorly taken one, but the posturing and gesturing beforehand .. and then missing it, no.

Made himself look a 'show pony' without being able to deliver.

Yeah it's real proof of a player not being great. Anyone who can kick a ball should at least hit it between the posts. Nerves and circumstances have nothing to do with it.

where did I say it was a barometer for being great or not?

i suspect Messi would think missing the target from that range is unforgivable

As others have said, it's criminal for a professional striker, playing at the highest level of football to completely miss the target from 12 yards out.

It's one thing having a penalty saved, but missing the goal completely is unforgivable - at least make the GK save it.

He's clearly a striker that struggles when he has time to think about things, if it was instinct (e.g. goal v QPR) he's good.

Thought that a few players looked as if they've had their dose of football for the 15/16 season actually. They've been at it for a year solid in some cases and they'll be back in action in about 3 weeks.

Stats prove it's all about controlling the situation and once you get to a certain level, is a lot more about mental strength than technical ability. Pellè's pen was weak and wide, he must have either let nerves get to him which took away his power because his legs were tentative, or changed his mind at the last second.

Yes, I thought that. When he did that idiotic run up, pointing to the keeper, I almost knew he was going to f*ck it up. The penalties that went in were all head down, concentrate on the ball and hit it where you've been told to by the coaching staff. The misses were mainly by players trying to showboat.

I don't have an issue with him or others missing pens, it must have been nerves getting the better of them in that situation. I do feel he made a bit of a **** of himself with his stupid cockiness before hand.

^^^ In the future, all England penalties should be taken by seagulls and lolcats.

Seagulls, eh?

I took my girlfriend out seagulling last night.

Most people call it dogging, but you should see the state of my car this morning.

Seagulls, eh?

I took my girlfriend out seagulling last night.

Most people call it dogging, but you should see the state of my car this morning.

We are talking about penalties here. The important information is who scored, how many times, and how many efforts were just blasted into the sky.