Will we every see this Jrod again?

doddisalegend

Surfing youtube and came across this video would be great to get Jrod back to this level again next season. I'd forgotten just how good some of his goals were:(

* why can't you edit thread titles...:x

Yes, some absolute crackers there. Two things struck me, how brave he was in going in after many of those 50/50s, and a tinge of sadness seeing the turnover of great players we've had, seeing Shaw, Schneiderlin linking up etc.

Hopefully physically with a full pre-season behind him, he'll be back to his best. Of course, there is always the mental aspect to overcome too. If he can start scoring goals on a regular basis then hopefully he will regain his confidence. I think that is the biggest battle.

After his ACL, didn't he get stronger and quicker?? Not sure what his other injury was after that - something to do with the ankle I know, but is it something career threatening?

The "follow-up" injury was a foot injury and subsequent op - it was implied that it was to do with changes in his body due to the original knee injury, which makes sense, there are often knock-on effects where people subconsciously adapt their posture or walking to compensate for the pain stimulus.

My knee rehab had me doing a bunch of strengthening exercises for supporting muscles, then one legged squats on my bad knee to get the body used to the pain because I'd developed a way of walking that meant nothing went through the middle of my knee at all to avoid the threat of it giving out when walking (e.g. downstairs). I didn't get any foot problems, I just started pulling my hamstrings far more frequently once I'd knackered my knee - or maybe that was old age rather than lack of stretching...

He had a full pre-season last term and still looked miles off the pace, so I'm not confident of his chances of returning to anything like his pre-injury level. His doddering cameo against Man City at the tail end of last season was a sorry sight.

His future - if he has one - is surely away from the wings if, as it seems, his mobility is compromised (whatever swollocks Saints are spinning about him gaining pace). He's still likely to be quicker than Austin or Pelle and theoretically a decent all round striker who can score all types of goals.

It'd be a great shame if his best days are in the past, and I'd love to be proven wrong, but I can't think of too many players who've lost two years to injury yet have returned as good as ever.

Sent from my VF-895N using Tapatalk

He needs games. That's all. He was fit and raring to go last season. People at the club were mystified as to why Koeman didn't give him a chance.

Are you sure he wasn't given a chance?

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jay-rodriguez/leistungsdaten/spieler/53360/plus/0?saison=2015

He seems to have played small parts due to coming back from injury. That is fair enough, rather than being thrown on for 90 minutes.

People at the club were mystified as to why Koeman didn't give him a chance.

He did get game time on various occasions and did not make an impact = chance gone. Understandable, I think, in a tight season where every point counts towards the desired result. I still believe he can get back to form though.

He was fantastic, was surely going to the World Cup.

That was absolutely heartbreaking. That moment when he landed on the floor and did his leg, and you knew straight off that he'd missed probably his only shot at the world cup squad.

I got the impression that he seemed to have bulked up a lot in muscle mass and had a fear that might have affected his pace/agility but seems like people are saying otherwise.

I do however think he looked pretty good in those U21 games towards the end of the season, didn't he score a hat trick? Though he only got one (IIRC) full chance in the team and then just a few late sub appearances.

Apparently he made 6 starts and 10 sub appearances but they would have been either end of the season, he only had 347 minutes in the league, which is less than 30 minutes per appearance on average so I wouldn't write him off just yet.

We'll see what he looks like in pre-season, if he can get back near to anything like he was then it'll be like a new signing. He's essentially made 6 starts in two years.

Actually he was faster when he came back last season (club timed him).

That was when he first came back. He certainly wasn't quicker at the end of the season, he looked like someone wearing concrete boots. Hopefully he can get back up to speed (literally) before the season starts again.

His pace over 5-10 years was clearly slower than before. Maybe he improved his 100m sprint which is not really as important in football.

One of his biggest strengths was running with the ball. He could dribble at pace keeping the ball very close to his feet. He needs to regain that.

He's about 26 now, so still has a bit of time on his hands. Personally I can see him dropping down a division and then finding his form again before coming back to the PL.

Straight from the mouth of an SFC staff member, Jay had the best numbers of the whole squad at the pre season tests last week.

That's all well and good, but he was supposedly clocking all kinds of impressive numbers last summer too and still looked a sad shadow of the player he was when he was actually required to play some competitive football.

Fingers crossed that he does make a full recovery - it'd be a feel good story and a half. But the longer he struggles the less likely the chances of that glorious comeback becomes.