Confirmed - Pierre Højbjerg Signs

Saint Garrett

Tomorrow is my 70th birthday. This signing in is the best birthday present ever. Not only a terrific player, but what better indication of the direction the club are heading.

I guess only Lloyd Isgrove jumping naked out of a cake could better it for you.

Since we're all at the "hashing out YT videos" stage, i thought I would share a bit of digging into this >

Interviewed in Danish after a match, very emotional. They've just won a home euro2016 qualifier over Serbia, 2-0, at that point, looking quite like they were safely qualified with a win on the road a couple days later in Armenia.

(the Danish national side don't travel well to FSRs and the Balkans, though, and drew 0-0 (crap game!) and then an 0-1 away to Portugal kept them out. I thought both results were hard on Denmark, though I will confess I was only watching online as best i could at work and not giving my full attention. Certainly wasn't watching for Hojbjerg in particular in any of the DBU games i saw.

Anyhow, Even in Danish, the interview is worth watching, he seems supremely committed. I dug up this translation.

REP: Are we ready? Pierre, you have to briefly explain the tears down your face

PEH: Yeah, it's delightful.. We deserve it, we've worked extremely hard, and I'm clapped-out.

REP: Regarding today's performance, what are you most proud of?

PEH: We are real men. We stand united, we have the Danish culture in our blood.. We fight, we have teamspirit spirit, and we have the entire stadium cheering for us.

REP: So why exactly are you being this emotional?

PEH: I'm beyond my own limits, the fact that we win on this stage..

REP: Second half looked 45 minutes of survival, was it the same palying on the pitch?

PEH: Yeah, it was rough, man. They are organized, and they play well, and.. They made the game hard for us, and they have some great individual players, but so do we.. Holy ****

REP: What does it mean to you that one of your long time friends Yussuf Poulsen (scoring the first goal) has such a major impact on the outcome of the game?

PEH: Yeah, it's just very touching.. Yeah.. Yeah..

Anyhow, to watch, you'd think they'd just lost a gut-wrencher. I like to see his pride in the national side, for sure. He also seems to have acquitted himself extremely well at Augsberg and the Schalke move seems to have been not the smartest landing spot for him. But the fact that he closed out their season more on the pitch than not -- as they solidified their Europa League spot -- is a plus.

Have a feeling he's going to be a great player for Saints. Denmark are my #1 national side (family always hosted Danish exchange students when I was growing up) so I am of course just unbelievably psyched.

I don't think anyone wants the players not to perform. They just want us to be able to keep a player another club wants off us.

We're about to sign a talented midfielder from Bayern Munich so let's have an argument about who we may or may not sell him to in x years time.

Can I point out that Fraser and VVD both recently signed long term contracts with us despite other 'big' clubs sniffing around ? Also Steven Davis and JWP with more to come.

Since we're all at the "hashing out YT videos" stage, i thought I would share a bit of digging into this >

Interviewed in Danish after a match, very emotional. They've just won a home euro2016 qualifier over Serbia, 2-0, at that point, looking quite like they were safely qualified with a win on the road a couple days later in Armenia.

(the Danish national side don't travel well to FSRs and the Balkans, though, and drew 0-0 (crap game!) and then an 0-1 away to Portugal kept them out. I thought both results were hard on Denmark, though I will confess I was only watching online as best i could at work and not giving my full attention. Certainly wasn't watching for Hojbjerg in particular in any of the DBU games i saw.

Anyhow, Even in Danish, the interview is worth watching, he seems supremely committed. I dug up this translation.

REP: Are we ready? Pierre, you have to briefly explain the tears down your face

PEH: Yeah, it's delightful.. We deserve it, we've worked extremely hard, and I'm clapped-out.

REP: Regarding today's performance, what are you most proud of?

PEH: We are real men. We stand united, we have the Danish culture in our blood.. We fight, we have teamspirit spirit, and we have the entire stadium cheering for us.

REP: So why exactly are you being this emotional?

PEH: I'm beyond my own limits, the fact that we win on this stage..

REP: Second half looked 45 minutes of survival, was it the same palying on the pitch?

PEH: Yeah, it was rough, man. They are organized, and they play well, and.. They made the game hard for us, and they have some great individual players, but so do we.. Holy ****

REP: What does it mean to you that one of your long time friends Yussuf Poulsen (scoring the first goal) has such a major impact on the outcome of the game?

PEH: Yeah, it's just very touching.. Yeah.. Yeah..

Anyhow, to watch, you'd think they'd just lost a gut-wrencher. I like to see his pride in the national side, for sure. He also seems to have acquitted himself extremely well at Augsberg and the Schalke move seems to have been not the smartest landing spot for him. But the fact that he closed out their season more on the pitch than not -- as they solidified their Europa League spot -- is a plus.

Have a feeling he's going to be a great player for Saints. Denmark are my #1 national side (family always hosted Danish exchange students when I was growing up) so I am of course just unbelievably psyched.

i can't say for sure, but part of the emotion might be attributed to his dad dying of cancer 4 months earlier.

ugh, losing your dad at 18.

I don't yet know what the German research team have done with him for FM17, but in FM16 he had a potential ability significantly above any other Saints player.

Youtube "highlight" videos can be derided, the ones that show every touch in one match give a better idea. Here he is as an 18 year old playing out of position wide on the right for Pep's Bayern in the German Cup final vs Dortmund...

His range of passing is a lot more impressive than Wanyama's.

He is very one footed , i just watched the first 3 mins of the video and the ball never even touches his left foot .......not overly impressed TBH

He is very one footed , i just watched the first 3 mins of the video and the ball never even touches his left foot .......not overly impressed TBH

Crock of bull****.. It does touch his left foot, once.

I believe he would be on the unusual position as qualifying as an U21 for the Premier League but not for the Europa League. The former just has a date of birth qualifying criterion whereas the latter also says that you must have been eligible to play for the club for 2 years. So to play in the Europa League he would need to be included in our main A list. Goalkeeper Harry Lewis (signed last season from Shrewsbury) is on the same situation.

He's playing wide right in what appears to be a three coming inside to link up therefore using his right predominantly. Need to see him in a CM role which looks like what he's cut out for. This will show us his range of passing on both sides, ability to switch play, tackling, heading and spatial awareness.

I read somewhere that he see's himself as more of an attacking midfielder and likes to get forward. Has he been signed to fill this role then? Felt for a long time that we've lacked in this position. Quite excited about this one!

Hold on, what's happened here? I thought we were not signing anyone?

Another one kept quiet, we are very good at keeping transfers under wraps until they are nearly done. Don' t recall seeing any links until the direct quotes from the agent.

Assuming he's a Wanyama replacement of sorts. Still think we need another 2-3 to come in, especially with Pelle leaving.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

You Guys are getting an excellent signing.

Pierre Emile Højbjerg which is his full name (half Danish, half french)

is by danes at least considered to be as big a talent as Christian Eriksen.

He is a Classic 8 CM .. on the national side he plays behind Eriksen.

He is capable with the ball, and will participate in the offensem, with good distribution skills, (has a powerhouse kick and not afraid to try)

But in my opinion his real strength is in the defense. He does a lot of running and after our best CBs, Daniel Agger(retired) and Simon Kjaer.

He is by far the best dane in the last few years to break an opponent offense.

Strong tackler, strong marker, the type you would set to guard the opponent side most creative force.

He has only played 25 games for Bayern, but you have to remember, he is 20, and his competition was/is Xabi Alonso and Phillip Lahm.

As a person:

Very diciplined in his training.

He is very self confident, without being a **** about it. He is very honest, and he will say it out loud if he thinks the team is playing like s*** and also if he thinks they are the better side.

He is 20, but acts 30. In my opinion he is future captain materiale, and will be an example to Young players.

Along with Schmeichel and Eriksen he is by far the most celebrated player in Denmark.

While we love Eriksen for his creativity, he doesn't show any emotion what so ever. He doesn't seem to have a care in the World, if we win 6-0 or lose.

That is no the case with Højbjerg, he is by far one of the most passionate players you will get, and that is why the Danish fans at least love him -->

You Guys are getting an excellent signing.

Pierre Emile Højbjerg which is his full name (half Danish, half french)

is by danes at least considered to be as big a talent as Christian Eriksen.

He is a Classic 8 CM .. on the national side he plays behind Eriksen.

He is capable with the ball, and will participate in the offensem, with good distribution skills, (has a powerhouse kick and not afraid to try)

But in my opinion his real strength is in the defense. He does a lot of running and after our best CBs, Daniel Agger(retired) and Simon Kjaer.

He is by far the best dane in the last few years to break an opponent offense.

Strong tackler, strong marker, the type you would set to guard the opponent side most creative force.

He has only played 25 games for Bayern, but you have to remember, he is 20, and his competition was/is Xabi Alonso and Phillip Lahm.

As a person:

Very diciplined in his training.

He is very self confident, without being a **** about it. He is very honest, and he will say it out loud if he thinks the team is playing like s*** and also if he thinks they are the better side.

He is 20, but acts 30. In my opinion he is future captain materiale, and will be an example to Young players.

Along with Schmeichel and Eriksen he is by far the most celebrated player in Denmark.

While we love Eriksen for his creativity, he doesn't show any emotion what so ever. He doesn't seem to have a care in the World, if we win 6-0 or lose.

That is no the case with Højbjerg, he is by far one of the most passionate players you will get, and that is why the Danish fans at least love him -->

Thanks for this! Sounds like an exciting player. The new Schneiderlin?

Probably. It is our model though.

Shop window conveyor belt...or perhaps we should call it 'The Generation Game Model'?

Not a bad thing to become the preferred club for Europes younger talent. Come to Saints, develop, get games, get slated by home fans, play in Europe, finish top 6/7, winner's medal in European Championship with move to a 'traditional' top CL club after 2 or 3 years.

Cedric has asked me to add the bits you missed.

I don't yet know what the German research team have done with him for FM17, but in FM16 he had a potential ability significantly above any other Saints player.

Youtube "highlight" videos can be derided, the ones that show every touch in one match give a better idea. Here he is as an 18 year old playing out of position wide on the right for Pep's Bayern in the German Cup final vs Dortmund...

His range of passing is a lot more impressive than Wanyama's.

As long as no none expects him to use his left foot, it looks like. Nevertheless he thinks quickly.