CONFIRMED: Graziano Pelle Joins Shandong Luneng - Undisclosed Fee (12-15M)

saint lard

Thanks Pelle, and good luck for the future (not that you'll need it on £125k pw)

Not really that bothered, did a good job for us but not that exciting to watch generally. Scored a couple of decent overhead kicks though!

Saints aside, seems a shame for a striker of that age to give up on his career for money. Is crazy money though.

Is he really though? At his age his International career is probably coming to an end; he's unlikely to be in the World Cup squad that's for sure. He's young enough to command a high wage as a 'current' top-flight player, yet old enough to consider the move in the first place. If, as has been suggested, his knee is causing problems he probably won't have a lot of years ahead of him at the top-flight anyway.

It all seems a perfect-fit. A couple of years out there and he'll retire a rich and happy man.

Along with Tadic he shook the core of the PL by daring to acknowledge fans singing his name during the match whilst the ball was in play.

For that alone his signing was worthwhile.

Re Tadic, I get the feeling he would even do it whilst he was on the ball!

My main worry is an ITK told us we'd be losing Wanyama, Mane, Pelle, Juanmi and Tadic.

4 of those I can understand, but if Tadic goes too something is very wrong.

Oh I'd be so surprised if we kept Tadic. Fonte will probably go too and Bertrand another strong possibility. I don't think Reed will be happy until at least another 2 quality players are out the door.

Without wishing to sound gay (which is fine, but I'm not a gay), I reckon he'll make a fortune from modelling and endorsements and whatnot over there. Italian number 9, plus decent looking chap etc...

I can't blame him for wanting that sort of money and as others have said, he hasn't been making a fortune his whole career.

For Saints, if the fee is £12million or so, as rumoured, then it also makes sense, particularly if Puel wants pacier options upfront.

@bigadamsport: with Pelle and Mane scoring 44 Prem goals between them in last 2 seasons,#saintsfc have got to decide whether to find or buy those goals

Sounds like we have already decided to "find" them.

Does it? Austin is obviously going to come into the team more and so will JRod, if they are fit, and I don't see why they wouldn't be after pre-season then I can see us buying an attacker. Mane will be replaced, just hope it's with a player who can score the goals and create for his team mates.

Will be missed - I actually think we could have got more out of him. A Pelle-Long combo up top -rarely used by Koeman- would have been very interesting. The jury is still out on Austin/Jrod. Lets hope they come good.

See he'll be playing under Felix Magath...

Surprised he's taken such a drop down level wise, he is better than that league as he showed in the Euro's.

I'd like to have kept him, but clearly we're not going to be able to afford £120k p/w on a player - let alone someone who is 31, that would be suicide. I guess, to have made a profit on him, is a great bit of business really - at his age. Disappointed to see him go, I don't generally see us replacing him - Charlie was his replacement in January, we were one step ahead there.

Good luck to him . I'm not exactly sad to see him go.Did a good job for us overall .Rather see him chase the money somewhere like China than gi to a rival like Everton , Liverpool ,West Ham etc.

I'm very sad to see him go, but I concur with the rest of this. Pellè won't be as easy to replace as some posters seem to think.

Good luck Graziano, all the best in China.

I think the Tadic departure spoken of earlier was more likely if Koeman had stayed !

That would certainly be a step too far for this summer IMO.

Would leave us with only Redmond who could be deemed "creative" and he is still a bit of an unknown quantity.

That said, Tadic has 2 years left on his contract so if a new one isnt put forward then who knows?

Worrying if Austin is his replacement, Austin hasn't shown much since he's come in, personally think he is average.

Hopefully we'll bring in Das Bost...need some physicality up top. Also losing Wanyama and Pelle's physicality will be a problem at set pieces IMO.

Pelle did some great things for us and often got way too much stick, but given the price and where he's gone, I'm not too down about losing him so long as we put the money to good use.

It's a very rare (probably unprecedented) occasion where my girlfriend will be more disappointed about Saints selling a player than I am!

Worrying if Austin is his replacement, Austin hasn't shown much since he's come in, personally think he is average.

Hopefully we'll bring in Das Bost...need some physicality up top. Also losing Wanyama and Pelle's physicality will be a problem at set pieces IMO.

Yeah Austin has already been a bit selfish and poor in his link up with us, which has led to Long in particular getting incredibly p*ssed off when he's in a better position but Austin shoots.

Hoping we sign someone to fill Pelles role to be honest. We need that option.

Thanks Graziano and good luck. Had difficult shoes to fill when he joined, but has done a great job over the last 2 seasons.

I know he had his critics, but he showed again in the Euros what he can give to a team, so it seems kind of a shame that he won't be doing that in a top league any more - but of course can understand his reasons for moving on when you see the numbers quoted!

Still don't feel over comfortable if we are not looking to get another striker to add to squad in his absence, but maybe Austin and/or Jay Rod will get fully fit and find form that they couldn't last season. Seems a bit of a gamble though and may put a lot more pressure on Long, who will need breaks from the first team with the extra Europa games.