Ryan Bertrand

SO16_Saint

Read a very interesting piece about Bertrand's exclusion from the WC squad. Southgate and Holland said their decision not to take him had nothing to do with his playing ability, it was based on his mental state and his frame of mind following a difficult season at Saints. They wanted everybody onboard with the right attitude and didn't feel his head was in the right place.

Read a very interesting piece about Bertrand's exclusion from the WC squad. Southgate and Holland said their decision not to take him had nothing to do with his playing ability, it was based on his mental state and his frame of mind following a difficult season at Saints. They wanted everybody onboard with the right attitude and didn't feel his head was in the right place.

As opposed to Rose's? What a load of bollocks. (No disrespect to Rose whose problems are nothing to downplay, and good luck to him.)

What a pile of steaming horse doings............... they had no bloody problem with him helping to get us there, yet they drag along a right footed players to play on the left who always has to check his run to play a ball in with his right, and a bloke who had played bugger all footie for the bulk of the season and had the facial expression of being knackered after only playing 20 minutes of extra time.

You did bloody well getting us to the semi final, but when you start peddling cobblers please make a bit more of an effort!

What a pile of steaming horse doings............... they had no bloody problem with him helping to get us there, yet they drag along a right footed players to play on the left who always has to check his run to play a ball in with his right, and a bloke who had played bugger all footie for the bulk of the season and had the facial expression of being knackered after only playing 20 minutes of extra time.

You did bloody well getting us to the semi final, but when you start peddling cobblers please make a bit more of an effort!

They're not obliged to pick Ryan Bertrand and really they can offer any explanation or none. Get over it.

I suggest it was more someones groundless opinion, nothing more and it would not have come out of the England camp and

but because it is detrimental to one of our players some seem to believe it.... some "fans" eh?

Makes perfect sense, the idea of team spirit was the foundation of Fergie’s success. Lost on some though.

Makes perfect sense, the idea of team spirit was the foundation of Fergie’s success. Lost on some though.

Team spirit and occasionally throwing boots at star players

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you able to post a link to this piece or source it please?

They're not obliged to pick Ryan Bertrand and really they can offer any explanation or none. Get over it.

This. The fact is he didn't go so wtf people think is gonna be achieved by banging on about it after the tournament is over I don't know. I'm only interested in whether he stays with us this season, and if so, whether he actually looks like he gives a sh:t when he plays.

It was simply a mistake- a rare example of muddled thinking by Southgate- not to take Bertrand. I think he thought Rose would be fitter than he thought, and the intention was to start with Rose but then have Young and Delph who could deputise in multiple positions. As it turned out, by having to play Young our threat down the left was all but nullified for the whole tournament, and the balance of the team thrown out. In every game I remember there being plenty of space in front of Young for him to exploit, but at no point was he able to. I think we would have looked a very different team with Ryan in there- or a fit Rose for that matter. We would have scored more goals from open play with Ryan in the team, I am convinced of that. I think it was Southgate’s biggest mistake, and I wouldn’t mind getting that he is quietly ruing his decision. If he is indeed making comments about Ryan’s exclusion being about his mental situation, that indicates to me that Southgate is trying to justify a poor decision in his own mind.

I suggest it was more someones groundless opinion, nothing more and it would not have come out of the England camp and

but because it is detrimental to one of our players some seem to believe it.... some "fans" eh?

Some fans indeed.........Knew I shouldn’t have posted after that rather large post dinner Brandy.............was rather nice mind: even if make my fingers spout the kind cobblers that tumbles our of my gob after indulging in such an accelerant.

It was simply a mistake- a rare example of muddled thinking by Southgate- not to take Bertrand. I think he thought Rose would be fitter than he thought, and the intention was to start with Rose but then have Young and Delph who could deputise in multiple positions. As it turned out, by having to play Young our threat down the left was all but nullified for the whole tournament, and the balance of the team thrown out. In every game I remember there being plenty of space in front of Young for him to exploit, but at no point was he able to. I think we would have looked a very different team with Ryan in there- or a fit Rose for that matter. We would have scored more goals from open play with Ryan in the team, I am convinced of that. I think it was Southgate’s biggest mistake, and I wouldn’t mind getting that he is quietly ruing his decision. If he is indeed making comments about Ryan’s exclusion being about his mental situation, that indicates to me that Southgate is trying to justify a poor decision in his own mind.

Just what M'bappe would have done to Ashley Young in the final will now never be known, but that was one matchup I wasn't looking forward to.

Some fans indeed.........Knew I shouldn’t have posted after that rather large post dinner Brandy.............was rather nice mind: even if make my fingers spout the kind cobblers that tumbles our of my gob after indulging in such an accelerant.

Have been there many times myself:lol:.

Most of what you said I agree with, libation or no libation.

We have benefited on many levels from Bertrand not going. 1. He’s not spending 6 weeks being tapped up by City/Spurs/Everton players to move away from Saints and 2. He gets a rest, has gone on the team bonding trip to China and will be ready to go against Burnley in 29 days time!

Personally I thought Young did a good job especially from set pieces but think Bertrand would have provided more balance and more in terms of crosses into the box.

Personally I thought Young did a good job especially from set pieces but think Bertrand would have provided more balance and more in terms of crosses into the box.

Young's problem seemed to be that he could not cross with his left foot. He had to keep getting the ball on his right foot and come inside.

Bertrand should have gone to the World Cup 100% in my opinion, shame to see him left out but hope he comes back fresh for us.

The record books will show England reached the semi finals which looks like a great achievement but in reality we only beat Tunisia, Panama and Sweden , nothing that amazing.

As opposed to Rose's? What a load of bollocks. (No disrespect to Rose whose problems are nothing to downplay, and good luck to him.)

That's what I thought too. Where did you read that item, Fudpucker?

I wasn't as disappointed as some with our loss to Croatia, as I hadn't convinced myself we'd win like many - and I'm not talking about this forum, but more generally.

We have a competent and pedestrian midfield; no Hazard or de Bruyne. A left sided player would have been a useful addition, given our poor showing down that side. I recall Ashley Young crossing once with his left, and that drew remarks from the commentators. I'm sure our opposition had done their homework on him. He's not a bad player but not necessarily the right one in a team context.

Anyway, that's over and we've got less than month to wait until the real thing and we'll know by then if RB is still with us. I hope he is.

Italy, when they won the WC , scraped through the whole tournament but won it also remember Denmark winning the Euro when they only got in because Yugoslavia were disqualified so you don't have to have the best players or play the best football or play fairly to actually win these tournaments !!

Bertrand should have gone to the World Cup 100% in my opinion, shame to see him left out but hope he comes back fresh for us.

The record books will show England reached the semi finals which looks like a great achievement but in reality we only beat Tunisia, Panama and Sweden , nothing that amazing.

Give that we have only got into two other WC semi finals in my lifetime, l’ll take it!

so what? people were raving about Croatia, guess how many games they won?.......4...one more game than us

so what? people were raving about Croatia, guess how many games they won?.......4...one more game than us

They reached the final, beat us and spanked Argentina. They have also won 2 penalty shoot outs and only lost 1 game (the final) against our 3.

England were okay. We just look good in comparison to the abject failures of many previous campaigns.

They reached the final, beat us and spanked Argentina. They have also won 2 penalty shoot outs and only lost 1 game (the final) against our 3.

England were okay. We just look good in comparison to the abject failures of many previous campaigns.

That is Argentina who drew with Iceland and struggled to beat a poor Nigeria side, that is no achievement. Colombia and Japan were better than Argentina.

And they won two penalty shoot outs against Russia and Denmark, again hardly much of an achievement and were in danger of losing both games, plus they also could have been 3-0 down at half time to the youngest team that reached a world cup semi.

For a team with two of the best midfielders in the world, most of them playing for top teams across Europe and most of them at their peak, they were really not that good and that showed when they got spanked by France in the final.

That is Argentina who drew with Iceland and struggled to beat a poor Nigeria side, that is no achievement. Colombia and Japan were better than Argentina.

And they won two penalty shoot outs against Russia and Denmark, again hardly much of an achievement and were in danger of losing both games, plus they also could have been 3-0 down at half time to the youngest team that reached a world cup semi.

For a team with two of the best midfielders in the world, most of them playing for top teams across Europe and most of them at their peak, they were really not that good and that showed when they got spanked by France in the final.

There's not many games at this level where a team isn't in danger of losing at some stage during the 90 minutes. The important point is they DIDN'T lose those games.

They COULD have been 3-0 down in the semi - most teams at this level will create/allow a few chances during a game, the important point was they weren't.

They didn't play the youngest team to reach a semi final, they played them in the final. Agreed they wern't a brilliant team, butnor where many others. I felt that this years WC was a bit like the PL when Leicester won it with nobody really outstanding, France were deserved winners and Croatia deservedly second.

Has Ryan had a personality transplant or something ?

Yet more photos from training on the OS and there he is front and centre smiling and laughing.

Its like having a new player and it’s great to see.

Great to see, something really seems to be working for him right now. Long may it last.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Should he retain the captaincy though? Was really impressed by Hojbergs passion and leadership today, something that we don't normally see on the pitch from Bertie (who often looks cool and indifferent).

However I appreciate there's a lot we don't see behind the scenes.

With the full backs expected to play so high up the pitch, Bertrand’s paceand delivery is going be really exciting in this team.

Yes and having had to play for two and a half years under **** head managers he must be really frustrated to be joining the Ralph revolution late.

So once Austin goes, Bertrand could be the last of the ones we can get rid of where we have a replacement already playing. He might also be among those like Austin, Cedric, Hoedt, Gabbi who doesn’t fit with the new regime where there are no Billy big b0ll0cks allowed and commitment to the team is 100% required.

So once Austin goes, Bertrand could be the last of the ones we can get rid of where we have a replacement already playing. He might also be among those like Austin, Cedric, Hoedt, Gabbi who doesn’t fit with the new regime where there are no Billy big b0ll0cks allowed and commitment to the team is 100% required.

Bertrand has been speaking to Ralph daily whilst injured, the thing that has held him back is the past 3 managers didn’t press, he will flourish under Ralph. Bertrand to me doesnt come across as this arrogant person people make out. I can’t wait for him to be back in the starting XI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bertrand has been speaking to Ralph daily whilst injured, the thing that has held him back is the past 3 managers didn’t press, he will flourish under Ralph. Bertrand to me doesnt come across as this arrogant person people make out. I can’t wait for him to be back in the starting XI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When will this be, what’s wrong with him?

Get rid of Bertrand? Good job you're not in charge.

I think Bertrand will be back to his best under Ralph.

Hopefully we'll see him take part against Palace, maybe from the bench. I believe he's been training for a while but apparently still had a little pain which ruled him out of the Everton game.