Ryan Bertrand

SO16_Saint

Saints are happy to sell him, City are going to buy him and the player wants to go. £25m will do it but I agree, in today's market, it's too low.

Not really sure why we're happy to sell at that price. He's a very good player and it's not as if we have a superstar talent ready to break through. McQueen is coming along nicely but Targett doesn't look good enough.

Saints are happy to sell him, City are going to buy him and the player wants to go. £25m will do it but I agree, in today's market, it's too low.

I'm guessing if we are happy to sell him there is more than football going on, he is clearly one of the best LBs in the league, wasn't he mooted as being one of the senior players causing problems in the dressing room for Puel last season? I just hope if we do sell him the club aren't blinkered enough to believe Mat Targett is an adequate replacement.

I'm guessing if we are happy to sell him there is more than football going on, he is clearly one of the best LBs in the league, wasn't he mooted as being one of the senior players causing problems in the dressing room for Puel last season? I just hope if we do sell him the club aren't blinkered enough to believe Mat Targett is an adequate replacement.

A few have said he's wanted to go for some time because he wants to go back up a step, in fairness. I agree price is too low though.

Bertrand is gone. I've heard from multiple places he's leaving, it's one of the worst kept secrets at saints

Hearing it from multiple sources confirms it's the worst kept secrets :)

What I want to know is the price... £25m would be a terrible price.

Bertrand is gone. I've heard from multiple places he's leaving, it's one of the worst kept secrets at saints

If we are making it known that Bertrand is definitely to be sold, that's the wrong strategy in my opinion if we want to get the best price. Like Van Dijk he is on a long contract, so there is no need for us to bend over and let him leave easily. We should be putting it out there that we don't intend to sell him unless we get top dollar and even then only if we can find a good enough replacement. This may well be what we are doing, but it does seem that in these circumstances we sometimes give in too easily and quickly when we could have held out for a better result/price for the club.

I still have a horrible feeling that the club are happy to let Ryan go as they feel they already have the replacements at the club.

just playing devils advocate who is to say that with a regular run in the side they haven't ?

I don't think that statement is giving the new manager much credit either to be honest. If he doesn't think one or both are up to it is he really just going to keep his mouth shut and hope for the best ?

If we are making it known that Bertrand is definitely to be sold, that's the wrong strategy in my opinion if we want to get the best price. Like Van Dijk he is on a long contract, so there is no need for us to bend over and let him leave easily. We should be putting it out there that we don't intend to sell him unless we get top dollar and even then only if we can find a good enough replacement. This may well be what we are doing, but it does seem that in these circumstances we sometimes give in too easily and quickly when we could have held out for a better result/price for the club.

Except in this case saying that we don't intend to sell would be absolute bo!!ocks, whereas in Van Dijk's case we almost certainly mean it, Bertrand is replaceable, Van Dijk is not.

Bertrand is 2 years older and plays in a more physically demanding position, so will likely start to decline much sooner and we would also be taking advantage of City's need for more homegrown players, when we already have more than enough of them.

On another note, one of our best options to replace Bertrand happens to be a former player of Pellegrino's:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicol%C3%A1s_Tagliafico

Shame if he goes, but can't begrudge it.

He joined as a talented player who's development was stalled at a bigger club...... despite a CL medal. With us he has grown into a far superior player.

If he moves to Stoke, that is a problem.......but City? Isn't that a component of The Southampton Way?

Hopefully we have a strong succession plan.

just playing devils advocate who is to say that with a regular run in the side they haven't ?

I don't think that statement is giving the new manager much credit either to be honest. If he doesn't think one or both are up to it is he really just going to keep his mouth shut and hope for the best ?

The only way I'd remotely support us not signing a replacement is if every penny goes into signing somebody like Sigurdsson.

Imagine what VVD will be thinking when we let Bertrand and Cedric leave..

Bertrand doesn't need replacing, Cedric sort of needs replacing.

VVD is completely different - he is a very rare breed of dominating centre back and much, much, much harder to replace.

VVD is completely different - he is a very rare breed of dominating centre back and much, much, much harder to replace.

What do you mean Bertrand doesn't need replacing?

Disagree that Bertrand wouldn't need replacing. Targett is just not good enough and whilst McQueen has potential he's not up to the standards of a premier league left back just yet. Van Dijk would be harder to replace though I agree. We cannot afford to have a window like last season when players weren't adequately replaced.

Bertrand 100% would need replacing.

I wonder if age is a factor in Saints considering letting RB go, as at 28 in August he is probably at the peak of his game and value if we are going to cash in on him.

Think he should be in the £30-35m bracket.

Just don't sell him to Liverpool or Spurs unless its £40-45m (which it won't be).

Add to list of players we have sold too cheaply. Puncheon, Cork, Clyne, Wanyama, Mane.

We haven't sold him yet?

I would definitely add Fonte (8m) Pelle (10m) Clyne (11m) to that list.

You'd add Clyne to a list that already has Clyne?

I still have a horrible feeling that the club are happy to let Ryan go as they feel they already have the replacements at the club.

I'd be quite happy with McQueen as first choice next season. Needs to be given the chance at some point.

Except in this case saying that we don't intend to sell would be absolute bo!!ocks, whereas in Van Dijk's case we almost certainly mean it, Bertrand is replaceable, Van Dijk is not.

Bertrand is 2 years older and plays in a more physically demanding position, so will likely start to decline much sooner and we would also be taking advantage of City's need for more homegrown players, when we already have more than enough of them.

On another note, one of our best options to replace Bertrand happens to be a former player of Pellegrino's:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicol%C3%A1s_Tagliafico

Why should it be absolute bollix that we would want to keep a current England international with 4 years left on his contract? Yes, he is potentially replaceable (if we are not going to complacently assume that Targett and McQueen are enough) but our default position should be we don't have to sell and it's going to take a very high offer to tempt us to do so. Bertrand is only 27 so don't think age is a factor.

Why should it be absolute bollix that we would want to keep a current England international with 4 years left on his contract? Yes, he is potentially replaceable (if we are not going to complacently assume that Targett and McQueen are enough) but our default position should be we don't have to sell and it's going to take a very high offer to tempt us to do so. Bertrand is only 27 so don't think age is a factor.

Because it's not true is it? He's not Van Dijk, he's not someone we can't replace with an equally capable player. Bertrand is just not important enough to justify taking the same stance that we would, and probably are taking, with Van Dijk. Van Dijk is a world class CB, Bertrand is just a good LB.

If we say Bertrand is not for sale and then sell him, as it is likely City will offer us more than we deem him worth, than every time we say that we won't sell a player it will just come off as bluster and BS, rather than a genuine stance as it likely is with Van Dijk.

The fact that he will an England international and homegrown only makes his sale more likely as it increases his market value but not his worth to us. And he will be 28 by the start of the season, so 29 by the start of the 2018/19 season. This summer is probably where he is at peak market value and we might not have anyone interested next summer, at least not at the sort of price we would get this summer.

More importantly though, Van Dijk is unlikely to be pleased at the prospect of being forced to stay. While I am far from against keeping him when he would rather be elsewhere, it is perhaps a good idea to keep the number of players in such circumstances to a minimum and only do it when you really, really have to.

Tierney should be our target if he goes.

If he wasn't too expensive he would be ideal & fit our recruitment when it's at it's best - Young, talented & being looked at by the big clubs, but seemingly none of them think he's ready yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only thing I was told this summer too (not from anyone ITK - just appears to be common knowledge to some working in same circles). Didn't expect it to be City as I've read he has quite the project going on at his Surrey residence.

Edited by Monk

He's not a patch on Bertrand. Mcqueen offers more pace and far better crossing. I will never forget the atrocious crossing in that game in Denmark. Hit first defender every bloody time. He is championship standard for me.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

McQueen looks comfortable going forward but having watched both closely I reckon Targett is a far superior defender. McQueen gets taken to the cleaners way too easily.

McQueen looks comfortable going forward but having watched both closely I reckon Targett is a far superior defender. McQueen gets taken to the cleaners way too easily.

Targett is dross going forward and also too slow one v one defensively.

Bertrand would have to be replaced otherwise you could argue they are more bothered about the number of Academy players in the team than the number of points we win.

Neither McQueen nor Targett are good enough to be first choices in a PL team at this stage.