Ryan Bertrand

SO16_Saint

I believe he became disillusioned with us through the last two managers poor team organisation and him being dropped by England. I have never doubted his quality or endeavor and look forward to his returning to the 1st team.

For what it is worth I prefer him to Rose and Shaw with Chilwell nearing recognition as a possible England regular.

As for the colour of their skin, it matters not a jot to me. If a player wears our strip all I ask is that they give their all.

Here’s a thought. He hasn’t played because he had an operation and is still not 100% fit. Not as cool as wild speculation and it doesn’t fit in with what some people want to think, but hey, it might just be true?

There's also the question of what was 'fit' under the Hughes and Pellegrino shambles and what is 'fit' under Ralph. Add in having surgery and then the catching up to Ralph's level and intensity which has seemingly gone from sloppy standards around the club to proper, full time, professional standard and getting back to PL levels again.

To me, it says that both player and manager want it to be right and wouldn't be surprised if Lemina has a phased return as well.

The bigger comment is on the previous managers - I use that term loosely for Hughes and Pellegrino. I didn't like Puel but at least there seemed to be some standards, even if they were below Ronald's, Poch's or Nigel's.

There isn't a single explanation of Ryan Bertrand's absence that cannot be contradicted by other situations other than that Hassenhuttl has a personality clash with the lad. The coach comes across to me as a rules driven bully boy; if you don't conform you're out. My guess Ryan he is being deliberately ****ed off so that he will ask for a transfer in the summer. (check training pics)

Gao no doubt sees him as an asset worth £20/24m, not as player with feelings.

if due to RH not wanting him then I expect he'd have been packed off in January.

It might be my imagination, but I reckon Redmond plays better when Bertrand is NOT in the side. It's almost as if Redmond is slightly intimidated by him.

They're good friends and have spoken about it a lot. Redmond's been at his best for us recently but that's Hasenhuttl, not the absence of Bertrand. Under prior managers they were always better alongside each other.

It might be my imagination, but I reckon Redmond plays better when Bertrand is NOT in the side. It's almost as if Redmond is slightly intimidated by him.

More likely it's because the previous two managers stuck him out on the left. Now he's got more license to roam to the middle or the right I'm sure he'll continue to do well if/when Bertie comes back.

Bertie is one our jewels and I don't blame RH one bit for being cautious about his return.

Targett is a more than decent option so there is no rush.

I think we have just been told the truth.

Bertrand certainly comes across as intelligent and a leader, aa much as you can tell from a distance. He probably has his eyes on management in the future. For that he needs a stable career and a club that will look after him and support him with coaching qualifications.

A quiet professional purposeful career is the name of the game for him.

Que big transfer to Everton!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Get him straight back in on Saturday. It's such a massive game, we need our best team out there. Targett has done ok but that is about it. Bertrand is quicker, better at passing, has better positioning and is a lot more consistent with his crossing.

Sorry, but IMO this is b*****x. Targett has been playing really well, is dangerous with his crosses and deserves his place in the team right now. Bertrand is going to have to earn it back - he did not set the world on fire prior to being injured (or last season) - certainly Targett has been better than the recent Bertrand we have seen that could not cross, did not get forward and seemed to have an attitude.

Sorry, but IMO this is b*****x. Targett has been playing really well, is dangerous with his crosses and deserves his place in the team right now. Bertrand is going to have to earn it back - he did not set the world on fire prior to being injured (or last season) - certainly Targett has been better than the recent Bertrand we have seen that could not cross, did not get forward and seemed to have an attitude.
I'd agree with this. Ease him.back from the bench.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Fair enough if you think it's b******s. Targett has improved but I don't agree that he has been playing "really well" and still feel he is a weak link. I expect Ralph will stick with him this week but wouldn't be surprised to see Bertrand get 20 minutes off the bench and then start against Arsenal in a couple of weeks.

Bertrand certainly comes across as intelligent and a leader, aa much as you can tell from a distance. He probably has his eyes on management in the future. For that he needs a stable career and a club that will look after him and support him with coaching qualifications.

Intelligent, yes, judging from his off field investments, but I didn't see too much leadership whilst he was captaining the side. Thought he was too reserved in that role.

Still doesn’t explain why Blackmore asked Ralph if he had a problem with Bertrand, Ralph’s waffle in response and then Dave droning on about “writing players off too early”. Dave & Blackmore have plenty of faults, but over egging stuff like this isn’t one of them, and even if they were,why didn’t Ralph answer “of course I haven’t got an issue with him, he’s just injured”.

Perhaps Bertrand’s body language made Ralph think he wasn’t interested, but now he’s got to know him he’s realised it’s misleading. Let’s face it, he can look like he doesn’t care.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Intelligent, yes, judging from his off field investments, but I didn't see too much leadership whilst he was captaining the side. Thought he was too reserved in that role.

I must admit i wasn't sure about the leadership aspect.

Have to wait 10 years to find out

I'd be happy to see Bertie back in the team but not as captain !

Our improved results have coincided with Hoj being the leader on the pitch so IMO he deserves to retain the armband !

You can't always judge a book by it's cover but Bertrand's body language always strikes me that he doesn't give a t*ss !

Even at his worst Bertrand is better than Targett. Matty has been playing the best I've seen him play for saints and he is still way off being as good as a Bertrand in don't give a toss mode.

Some players are just better than others and assuming Bertrand is willing to buy into Ralph's ethos he should be ahead of Targett every time. The only reason to leave Bertrand out is if he is unfit or being a disruptive dickhead in the VVD mould.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Our improved results have coincided with Hoj being the leader on the pitch so IMO he deserves to retain the armband !

You can't always judge a book by it's cover but Bertrand's body language always strikes me that he doesn't give a t*ss !

So.... let's play that back.... you want him in the team even though you think he doesn't give a t*ss... ok, then. That's clearly logical.

Nurse!!

Targett is much, much worse. If Bertrand is fit, he should play.

Too much emphasis is placed on this by fans i think. If Bertrand returns as captain, you think Hoj would think he now doesnt need to be a leader on the pitch?

Captains can be important, but i think we as fans probably place more importance on it than the players themselves

Hoj has always played to the maximum. Even on bad days he will try his best for the team.

Ryan is a quality act. Once he is fit and back in the team I would give Hoj the armband every time before him.

I have toyed with the possibility of playing Ryan in front of Matt so they could possibly work together in the way Matt did with Sessegnon for Fulham

So.... let's play that back.... you want him in the team even though you think he doesn't give a t*ss... ok, then. That's clearly logical.

Nurse!!

He didn't say that at all. he said "Bertrand's body language always strikes me that he doesn't give a t*ss "

I don't think there's one of us that wouldn't have said the same about MLT. Not many of us would have left him out on that basis.

Nurse!!

Thought my point was pretty clear, he is worthy of a place in the team but his body language (IMHO) is not appropriate for the captaincy role and that Hojbjerg has done very well in his absence !

Surprised that you view this as being controversial and calling for the men in white coats !

Football forums, eh ??

I'd say our improved results have coincided with Ralph becoming manager.

Berty is starting today
How can this be? He's too lazy, still not fit, not interested, bad influence, been sold. I know all of this to be true because I've been following this thread.

Seriously, if he's fully fit (and can't imagine RH would select him if not) that's as good as any January signing.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk