Ryan Bertrand

SO16_Saint

On this season's half-assed performances, I'd be amazed if anyone decent comes in for Bertrand, let alone for crazy money.

Generally, he's looked out of shape, plodding and disinterested. A West Ham kind of signing.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

A bit like VVD was, then? Didn't harm his move or value.

A bit like VVD was, then? Didn't harm his move or value.

Our need to remain afloat will be a different ball game in the summer due to the pathetic policy of sticking with pellegrino for as long as we did coupled with les throwing out 5 years deals to crap players

Surely it will depend on (a) whether there is a relegation clause in a given players contract and (b) whether the club is strong willed enough to ensure a given player sees out his contract? History tells us neither of these things will hold true, so if we go down there will be a significant overhaul of the squad, with many youngsters getting the call. I highly expect to see Targett or similar to be our LB next season.

• 1 month later...

"Management appeals but business interests me more; how to run a football club"

I reckon he'd do a better job as chairman than Krueger.

In a season full of underperforming players, he was one of our better players, no doubt about it. Young ahead of him as left back was the only thing that Southgate got wrong, especially since Rose is so injury prone.

Good interview by Ryan, Ralph and Les watch and learn in how to talk football with the press, our skipper knows his stuff. There’s probably things he could learn from Ralph on the commercial side but rather than have someone articulate like that on the sidelines when the club is in a transition phase, give him that player liaison role with the board. Kelvin needs to focus on his coaching.

Really good interview from Ryan.

The shame of it all is that he just realise that playing for Saints (and being in a relegation battle) has cost him his place in the WC squad.

So who could blame him if he now felt he needs to get away :(

Really good interview from Ryan.

The shame of it all is that he just realise that playing for Saints (and being in a relegation battle) has cost him his place in the WC squad.

So who could blame him if he now felt he needs to get away :(

His performances for Saints in a relegation battle cost him his place. He was part of the problem, part of the reason we were in a relegation battle. I hope he realises that, even if his fan boys on here don’t. Had he played to the level he had in previous years he’d be going, it’s as simple as that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've every sympathy for people with mental health problems such as Rose : https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/06/danny-rose-tells-family-not-travel-world-cup-player-racism-fears-abuse-england-football-team

I'm just not sure how much he's now recovered (from physical injury too) and whether throwing him into the cauldron of a World Cup in a less than sympathetic environment is the right thing to do.

His performances for Saints in a relegation battle cost him his place. He was part of the problem, part of the reason we were in a relegation battle. I hope he realises that, even if his fan boys on here don’t. Had he played to the level he had in previous years he’d be going, it’s as simple as that.

I agree he contributed to us being in the relegation fight, but did Danny Rose really contribute more on the field this season? I think not! If Rose played about 8 games in an injury hit season for Saints, he wouldn’t be going surely?

I generally agree with quite a lot of what you write, but sorry this is just balmy. If he was that bad throughout the season how was he picked for qualifying games. I fear we will only really appreciate Bertie when he's gone, shame really, top player and really nice bloke as well.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I generally agree with quite a lot of what you write, but sorry this is just balmy. If he was that bad throughout the season how was he picked for qualifying games. I fear we will only really appreciate Bertie when he's gone, shame really, top player and really nice bloke as well.

His leadership and performance last year was sub standard for a senior player. He began to show form towards the end of the season, but he was poor

His leadership and performance last year was sub standard for a senior player. He began to show form towards the end of the season, but he was poor

Absolutely this. He talked about complacency in the linked article, but nobody was more complacent than him, at times it bordered on disgraceful. Leadership and organisation isn’t always about shouting and bollocking people, you can go about it differentl. But he showed a complete and utter lack of it 75% of the season.

But again doesn't answer the question, only reinforces my point. If he was so poor how did he continuously get selected for England. Also, the only club I've seen him linked to is Man City, again if he was that bad, why would the premiere league champions be interested.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought Rose was garbage against Costa Rica. I'm not saying Ryan would have done any better - it was just like watching Saints the last couple of years - boring, possession based risk averse rubbish. How many crosses did Rose put in - none. It was get the ball, stop running and pass it back. The only player making forward runs from wing back was Trippier and he was a sub! Henderson had just about enough quality to find him. We haven't learned the lessons of Iceland. Pass the ball forwards! As I say - just like Saints - pass the ball forwards and we look like a decent side.

He should have picked Bertrand, played him on the left of the back three to give Rose support (or instead of him). I'm not surprised he thinks he has been overlooked - shocking decision. Hope he enjoys his holiday and comes back refreshed!

When Rose is easily beaten and the opposition score Southgate will regret not taking the best English left back we have.

Yes he had a deplorably poor season but that has as much to do with the management and style of play wanted than his talent.

Ryan enjoys playing for England and will now enjoy playing in a more adventurous Saints side hopefully

But again doesn't answer the question, only reinforces my point. If he was so poor how did he continuously get selected for England. Also, the only club I've seen him linked to is Man City, again if he was that bad, why would the premiere league champions be interested.

he cant answer because it’s horse Shyte. Decent player, hope he stays.

I was at Elland Road Thursday and the fans were getting on Rose back badly. As was Vardy because no early balls or service were coming quick enough. He was garbage tbh

I was at Newcastle when Bertrand was garbage, I was at West Ham when Bertrand was garbage . I was at st Mary's when having chucked a 2 goal lead away Bertrand left the pitch laughing and joking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was at Newcastle when Bertrand was garbage, I was at West Ham when Bertrand was garbage . I was at st Mary's when having chucked a 2 goal lead away Bertrand left the pitch laughing and joking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still our best LB by miles.

• 2 weeks later...

I still kind of get the impression that Bertrand might have done the big club thing and doesn't want to do it again.

Not that if like City made a bid and we accepted he'd turn it down, but more that I feel he won't agitate for a move away unless we go down or something else major upsets him.

And it's not like money is clearly an issue looking at that picture.

I still kind of get the impression that Bertrand might have done the big club thing and doesn't want to do it again.

Not that if like City made a bid and we accepted he'd turn it down, but more that I feel he won't agitate for a move away unless we go down or something else major upsets him.

That’s the way I read it. Probably looked/was ****ed off playing with a manager like we had for the most part of the season. I know I was and I’m only sat in the stands [emoji6]

I think he is trying to look cool in that picture, smiling would make it look like it's a super special occasion, whereas I think he is trying to show that it's just his life, no big deal sort of thing.

Or maybe he just doesn't like flying.

I agree, but am a bit worried that he'll feel that playing for us has cost him his England place, and that a move might put him higher up the international pecking order. He's not that old after all and could reasonably have expected to be England LB for a few years yet

I wonder what's going to happen to Bertie? I assumed he'd def be off this summer.

Are City still looking for a left back?

You wouldn't think so with Mendy, Delph, Danilo and Zincenko as options. I think that's what it'll come down to. He could end up staying because no one needs a 1st or even 2nd choice LB.

Arsenal, Montreal and Kolasinac

Chelsea, Alonso, Zappacosta and Emerson

United, Shaw, Young, (New signing, but will aim higher)

Liverpool, Robertson and Moreno

Spurs, Davies and Rose.

You wouldn't think so with Mendy, Delph, Danilo and Zincenko as options. I think that's what it'll come down to. He could end up staying because no one needs a 1st or even 2nd choice LB.

Spurs, Davies and Rose.

That's what I was thinking. Good analysis!

Spurs, Davies and Rose.

Plus he's already won the Champions League! The best he can now hope for you'd think is to have a f**king good season and get in the England squad for the Euros?

• 2 weeks later...