Ryan Bertrand

SO16_Saint

People saying Targett can step up, which I completely disagree with, should remember that most of the time he performed well in Bertrands absence he was playing as wing-back, not a conventional full back.

That position compensates for his lack of pace because there is a centre-back who can step out wide to cover, but as far as I can tell Ralph is planning a back 4, and I just can't see Targett being good enough in a back four, he just isn't quick enough to be a modern Premier League full back IMO.

I'm not sure we'll be able to get in the right players to play 4-2-2-2 against teams in the top half. I expect we'll probably alternate with 3-4-3. I just don't think we'll have a pair of centre backs who can cope, or central midfielders who cover the ground quickly enough, to be able to play four at the back all of the time.

Peoples forget that Bertrand joined us as a pretty much unheralded 25 year old following an unsuccessful loan spell with Villa. There were a lot of doubters.

Targett is coming up to 24, and has had a good grounding. If Ralph judges he is good enough, then in turn that’s good enough for me.

Peoples forget that Bertrand joined us as a pretty much unheralded 25 year old following an unsuccessful loan spell with Villa. There were a lot of doubters.

Targett is coming up to 24, and has had a good grounding. If Ralph judges he is good enough, then in turn that’s good enough for me.

Sorey but this is a load of ****.

Bertrand had been good enough to make an appearance in a Champions League final when he signed for us.

He joined us as a player who hadnt had a consistent run of games in the PL but straight away looked a competent player as a replacement for Luke Shaw.

Whenever Targett plays in the PL he looks a weak link whose lack of pace is exposed by the opposition. He never takes anyone on but looks to cross early, and thats his best attribute.

We always improve when Bertrand is fit again and he always plays ahead of Targett because he is much better.

If Targett wasn't a Saints Academy graduate he wouldn't be on our list of left backs to replace Bertrand.

In simple terms: he isn't good enough to be a regular PL LB. And he never will be.

Sorey but this is a load of ****.

Bertrand had been good enough to make an appearance in a Champions League final when he signed for us.

He joined us as a player who hadnt had a consistent run of games in the PL but straight away looked a competent player as a replacement for Luke Shaw.

Whenever Targett plays in the PL he looks a weak link whose lack of pace is exposed by the opposition. He never takes anyone on but looks to cross early, and thats his best attribute.

We always improve when Bertrand is fit again and he always plays ahead of Targett because he is much better.

If Targett wasn't a Saints Academy graduate he wouldn't be on our list of left backs to replace Bertrand.

In simple terms: he isn't good enough to be a regular PL LB. And he never will be.

Why the aggression?

You have a different view, fine, but it doesn’t make you right. True RB played in a CL final, when they had no other choice, and then didn’t play and was loaned out for a spell at Villa, where he didn’t pull up any trees - these are facts.

I am not blinded by the fact he is from our Academy. The point I was trying to make is that it is unlikely that Academy kids, with very rare exceptions, arrive as the finished article, compared to a 25yo transferee.

Defensively, I personally don’t recall many occasions where he has let us down, although stand to be corrected.

Like you, I have always been happy to see Bertrand return, but that won’t go on forever.

Why the aggression?

You have a different view, fine, but it doesn’t make you right. True RB played in a CL final, when they had no other choice, and then didn’t play and was loaned out for a spell at Villa, where he didn’t pull up any trees - these are facts.

I am not blinded by the fact he is from our Academy. The point I was trying to make is that it is unlikely that Academy kids, with very rare exceptions, arrive as the finished article, compared to a 25yo transferee.

Defensively, I personally don’t recall many occasions where he has let us down, although stand to be corrected.

Like you, I have always been happy to see Bertrand return, but that won’t go on forever.

It's fair to pose the question 'why can't Targett be good enough'? For me the key thing is his lack of pace. Partly defensively, which as others have mentioned is more exposed in a four than as a wing back, but also going forwards. His crossing is good but that is usually from deep. I get the impression Hasenhuttl is gearing us up to get to the byline more, and Targett doesn't seem to be as well equipped for that gung-ho-overlap type of full back play, especially if he is required to operate like that as part of a back four.

It's fair to pose the question 'why can't Targett be good enough'? For me the key thing is his lack of pace. Partly defensively, which as others have mentioned is more exposed in a four than as a wing back, but also going forwards. His crossing is good but that is usually from deep. I get the impression Hasenhuttl is gearing us up to get to the byline more, and Targett doesn't seem to be as well equipped for that gung-ho-overlap type of full back play, especially if he is required to operate like that as part of a back four.

I viewed Hasenhuttls preference to be creating chances quickly after winning the ball back high up the pitch, in which case someone able to cross from deep would be a real asset.

IMO he's basically a less good Trippier, a more offensive full back with good offensive abilities like passing and crossing but lacks defensive ability and would be exposed for his lack pace with a consistent run at left back in back 4.

And we are not as good as Spurs (Or England), have far less possession than them, and have worst centre-backs, and even Spurs it seems have decided that Trippiers defensive deficiencies mean they need an upgrade.

We need a full back that can defend first and foremost and won't get completely done by the fast wingers in this league because it is likely our defenders will spend more time defending without the ball than having it.

Even if he improves and has improved under Ralph, I can't see him imagining up pace and acceleration from somewhere. Positional play, tackling, interceptions, marking those things can be improved with experience and training, but pace not so much.

he was completely taken to pieces at SMS by Zaha a couple of years ago in the league cup. He has improved since then, mostly in terms of positioning, he's a little stronger and more confident with the ball...but he hasn't got any quicker and Zaha and others will continue to take advantage of that.

Even if he isn't being skinned alive, without top class players we will just ship more goals and lose more games. Little things all start to add up like not pushing the opponent backwards because you dont get right up and down the line. Like not being able to cover round to spare the blushes of a slow CB simply because you don't have the pace to do so. Like not getting tighter to opponents because you are terrified of all that space behind. That means less time for opponents on the ball which can make the difference between a defence cutting pass and them simply keeping possession with something simple. So I'm not talking about glaring errors (being let down), it's a failure to excel and dominate opponents.

At some point we must stop eroding the quality of player we have at our disposal. Yes we need to keep adjusting the squad and keeping it young and fast, but is swapping Bertrand for Targett really doing that? Perhaps it makes good business sense, but that doesn't mean we should do it. In the end financial performance is determined by results on the pitch and on this occasion keeping a player for two more years and losing the resale value might make business sense if its the difference between staying up or not.

he was completely taken to pieces at SMS by Zaha a couple of years ago in the league cup. He has improved since then, mostly in terms of positioning, he's a little stronger and more confident with the ball...but he hasn't got any quicker and Zaha and others will continue to take advantage of that.

Even if he isn't being skinned alive, without top class players we will just ship more goals and lose more games. Little things all start to add up like not pushing the opponent backwards because you dont get right up and down the line. Like not being able to cover round to spare the blushes of a slow CB simply because you don't have the pace to do so. Like not getting tighter to opponents because you are terrified of all that space behind. That means less time for opponents on the ball which can make the difference between a defence cutting pass and them simply keeping possession with something simple. So I'm not talking about glaring errors (being let down), it's a failure to excel and dominate opponents.

At some point we must stop eroding the quality of player we have at our disposal. Yes we need to keep adjusting the squad and keeping it young and fast, but is swapping Bertrand for Targett really doing that? Perhaps it makes good business sense, but that doesn't mean we should do it. In the end financial performance is determined by results on the pitch and on this occasion keeping a player for two more years and losing the resale value might make business sense if its the difference between staying up or not.

He wasn't the first and won't be the last full-back ot have that happen to him.

Cannot grudge Ryan a move, particularly to a CL club abroad. We need someone else to replace him though, Targett is not good enough. Even if Ralph can do his wing backs formation properly, he doesn't convince me.

Sums it up for me. When Targett's been alright, it's been as a wingback. Him in 4-2-2-2 would frighten the life out of me.

If we're selling our best LB, we need a new LB. It's as simple as that.

I think RB is our best player and it would be a real shame to see him go, particularly bearing in mind our defensive frailties of the last few years. Like others have said, I wouldn’t begrudge him a move to a big European side (for a lot more than £10m mind) but I’d be worried going into a season with Targett and Vokins as our only LB options.

Unpopular opinion this apparently, but since Hasenhuttl arrived I think Targett has actually performed better than Bertrand.

Bertrand hasn’t looked bothered for a couple of years now and doesn’t look up to the rigours of Hasenhuttl football so sell while we can and use the money elsewhere.

A consistent run of games would be good for Targett (look what it did for Valery) and if it’s not working bring in Vokins who looks a real talent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This absolutely. Amassed by some of the comments. Love Bertie but hes been shocking for a while.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Those who thought that Ryan lacked commitment and doesn't put in the effort should study today's training pics. Here is a guy with a point to prove who is obviously thriving and reviving under Ralph's leadership.

Getting rid of Targett has no doubt made him realise that the Club is fully committed to him as well. I wish him well for the season and will be delighted if he regains an England place.

Those who thought that Ryan lacked commitment and doesn't put in the effort should study today's training pics. Here is a guy with a point to prove who is obviously thriving and reviving under Ralph's leadership.

Getting rid of Targett has no doubt made him realise that the Club is fully committed to him as well. I wish him well for the season and will be delighted if he regains an England place.

Agree! This is the year we will see Ryan return to his best. Its going to be a completely different season and several players who have been below their best are going to surprise us. Ryan could be one of them. Looking forward to it!

RB has been injured and also lost his England place. He may have had a temporary blip due to both of these facts but, h e is by far our best defender and I can see Ralph helping Ryan regain his England spot.

Realistically there is little chance of RB regaining his England place. That ship has sailed.

Whilst I love RB I'm inclined to agree england is not a feasible goal. We should be bringing through younger players and Chilwell is too good not to start.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

Wow! Just look at those broad smiles from our Bertie in Austria, he is revelling in pre-season training and there is a steely determination in his eyes that augurs well for the season ahead. I have no reservations at all about his ability to claw back his England starting place, he is by far the country's best left back, can run, can cross, reads the game brilliantly and can score goals. He is going to surprise a few of you critics mark my words.

Wow! Just look at those broad smiles from our Bertie in Austria, he is revelling in pre-season training and there is a steely determination in his eyes that augurs well for the season ahead. I have no reservations at all about his ability to claw back his England starting place, he is by far the country's best left back, can run, can cross, reads the game brilliantly and can score goals. He is going to surprise a few of you critics mark my words.

If we are basing things on smiles whilst on a team bonding training camp... Cedric and Hoedt are also smiling and the captain has his arms around them both. What do you make of that Charlie?

D_IKJ2PXkAEk22V?format=jpg&name=900x900

If we are basing things on smiles whilst on a team bonding training camp... Cedric and Hoedt are also smiling and the captain has his arms around them both. What do you make of that Charlie?

D_IKJ2PXkAEk22V?format=jpg&name=900x900

Bertie usually looking like a miserable git the whole time, he's saying that it's good to see him obviously enjoying himself. I agree with him and you knew full well why he pointed it out.

Which one's Bertie ? Don't recognise him in that photo !

That's him halfway down that mountain in the background. He's so keen this year he's done a second lap of the cross country run while the others pose for photos.. Look closely though, he IS smiling.

Also Bertrand is laughing and joking with Hoedt in the training vids, when they are doing the sprints I think.