Ryan Bertrand

SO16_Saint

To be fair, it was his first game back. But I didn't expect him to be that bad.

Which is why Targett should have started.....match fit, in form. Bertrand was the same Bertrand before his injury....people are remembering him from 2 years ago not the Bertrand of the last 18 months.

RH got it completely wrong yesterday.

Which is why Targett should have started.....match fit, in form. Bertrand was the same Bertrand before his injury....people are remembering him from 2 years ago not the Bertrand of the last 18 months.

RH got it completely wrong yesterday.

I tend to agree but suspect this is a case of Ralph needing to see Bertrand in a couple of matches to decide his first choice - like he did with Gunn.

I don't think there's much between them. Bertrand has a better shot but was reluctant to use it yesterday. Both can put in a decent cross. Bertrand may be the stronger defender but Targett seems more mobile at the moment.

But it's influence on the team that gets Targett my vote. Don't know why but I never feel Bertrand is really relating to the rest of the team. It's been observed that Redmond seems better without him. Strange.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

To put him straight in without any u23 match practice after 3 months out was strange imo. Targett had done ok (not great) so wasn't like we were desperate for him to return. He unsurprisingly looked rusty and lacked mobility which meant he was wrestling Cardiff players to the floor all game.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

I tend to agree but suspect this is a case of Ralph needing to see Bertrand in a couple of matches to decide his first choice - like he did with Gunn.

I don't think there's much between them. Bertrand has a better shot but was reluctant to use it yesterday. Both can put in a decent cross. Bertrand may be the stronger defender but Targett seems more mobile at the moment.

But it's influence on the team that gets Targett my vote. Don't know why but I never feel Bertrand is really relating to the rest of the team. It's been observed that Redmond seems better without him. Strange.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Bertrand over Targett every single day of the week.

Yes he’s lacking match fitness but that will (and can only) come with game time. He was arguably our most dangerous player in the first half yesterday.

Bertrand over Targett every single day of the week.

Yes he’s lacking match fitness but that will (and can only) come with game time. He was arguably our most dangerous player in the first half yesterday.

Every day of the week - obviously RB "needed the run" yesterday, but his first half was good; plenty of runs and quality crosses. I also think the "can't play with Redmond" claim is a myth - particularly with Redmond now having a roaming, central role rather than being stuck on the wing.

• 2 weeks later...
Strange that he wasn’t playing yesterday. The only thing that makes sense is that Ralph didn’t want to risk him playing Sun then Weds. If he doesn’t start Weds then something is clearly wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Didn't Ralph say some of his meetings with players were "surprising" ?

The only reason for him being left out I can imagine is resting him for Fulham as he was out for a long time and RH not having much hope of getting something in that game. Though letting Obafemi become injured again, when the game seemed lost anyway, might contrdict this.

Despite some comments on here Bertrand was our best player against Cardiff and is miles ahead of Targett in terms of quality. With a suqad that short of ability and talent RH can't afford to fall out with the few PL-players we have left...

The only reason for him being left out I can imagine is resting him for Fulham as he was out for a long time and RH not having much hope of getting something in that game. Though letting Obafemi become injured again, when the game seemed lost anyway, might contrdict this.

Despite some comments on here Bertrand was our best player against Cardiff and is miles ahead of Targett in terms of quality. With a suqad that short of ability and talent RH can't afford to fall out with the few PL-players we have left...

Bertrand was no where near the best player against Cardiff, Valery was !

Strange that he wasn’t playing yesterday. The only thing that makes sense is that Ralph didn’t want to risk him playing Sun then Weds. If he doesn’t start Weds then something is clearly wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hope you are right and he is being re-introduced gently. Expect to see him v Fulham, if not it will confirm that we have an egoist tozzer in charge who can only manage non entity "Yes" men and "do as your told" kids.

Expect to see him v Fulham, if not it will confirm that we have an egoist tozzer in charge who can only manage non entity "Yes" men and "do as your told" kids.

Or someone who wasn't very impressed with his laboured performance against Cardiff and thinks he needs to up his game if he wants to start.

I'd play him over Targett all day long, but let's not rewrite history: Bertrand looked way off the pace against Cardiff. We're carrying enough passengers as it is.

Hopefully he's getting sharper with every training session.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

I hope you are right and he is being re-introduced gently. Expect to see him v Fulham, if not it will confirm that we have an egoist tozzer in charge who can only manage non entity "Yes" men and "do as your told" kids.

At the other extreme it might be that we have another Billy Big-Boll0cks in the dressing room with a surly attitude who thinks he is bigger than the club and deserves to be playing at a higher level even if performances don't warrant it over the last two seasons.

Or that there is another, less polarised, problem with injury or health.

All speculation of course.

At the other extreme it might be that we have another Billy Big-Boll0cks in the dressing room with a surly attitude who thinks he is bigger than the club and deserves to be playing at a higher level even if performances don't warrant it over the last two seasons.

Or that there is another, less polarised, problem with injury or health.

All speculation of course.

Or maybe bertrand off in summer so club have decided to Gove the future number 1 left back more game time to improve and grow.

Bertrands attitude is and always has been fine.

Or maybe bertrand off in summer so club have decided to Gove the future number 1 left back more game time to improve and grow.

Bertrands attitude is and always has been fine.

May be so, but it seems a false economy in our position not to play our strongest possible team when fighting relegation. Especially if their attitude is fine, and not compromised by their desire to leave.

Hahaha the downgrades continue then.

Although, Targett would probably be OK in the Championship.

When is it safe to suggest we're building for the Championship ?

Although Reed was doing it for a couple of seasons before his departure.

We're building for it now, January proved that.

It's disgraceful.

If they didn't care about relegation why sack Hughes (costing millions)? Why be content with losing hundreds of millions of PL money? If we were in Huddersfield's position I could understand preparing for life in the Championship. The long and short of it is they are stupid beyond belief. They thought the good run under Ralph could continue, even with weakening the squad further and pocketing the extra dosh.

We may still of course survive, but January was a huge, moronic gamble for relative peanuts. Like gambling your house to win 100 quid.

He looked good last night, but you have to appreciate that Fulham gave him the pitch to play in, so he was able to stand out and put in crosses at will!

It was shocking. There was one point in the first half where Redmond picked up the ball in the centre circle and Bertrand couldn't have been much wider than him on the overlap; yet there was no Fulham defender in his vicinity as everyone was tucked even further inside. As it happened the play broke down as Redmond didn't release Bertrand quickly enough. But it summed up Fulham's approach all evening.

Edited by shurlock

Obviously we all knew, but he is levels above Targett and should start every game until the end of the season.

In the summer we should try to get him to sign a new contract and refocus under a good Manager.

Targett will never be on the same level as RB - which is no slight, just a fact.

• 4 weeks later...

Hopefully we try to extend his contract and have him finish his career at Saints.

One of our best signings since being back in the PL.

Should have taken Fulham's offer for Targett - we will never be offered that much again, he just isn't Pl quality as shown by our improvement since Bertrand has been back (which happens every time he returns from a spell out the team).

Hopefully we try to extend his contract and have him finish his career at Saints.

One of our best signings since being back in the PL.

Should have taken Fulham's offer for Targett - we will never be offered that much again, he just isn't Pl quality as shown by our improvement since Bertrand has been back (which happens every time he returns from a spell out the team).

If we had taken Fulhams offer who would have played when Bertrand was out all those games ?

They clearly rate Vokins. He can be Bertrand's backup next season.

Sell Targett who will never be a good PL LB. He just doesn't have that extra burst of pace that is needed, and will never have it.

Whenever Targett has an extended run in the side we are always begging for Bertrand to return...and we always improve when he does.

• 2 months later...