Ryan Bertrand

SO16_Saint

And don't forget the Sengalese attacker who went to Liverpool for big money only to be replaced by the new Thierry Henry and a Moroccan superstar. And the Kenyan international midfielder who couldn't pass that we replaced with a Norwegian international equal of Barcelona's Xavi and our own home grown future international England captain JWP.

Who's the Norwegian?

And don't forget the Sengalese attacker who went to Liverpool for big money only to be replaced by the new Thierry Henry and a Moroccan superstar. And the Kenyan international midfielder who couldn't pass that we replaced with a Norwegian international equal of Barcelona's Xavi and our own home grown future international England captain JWP.

Norwegian...?

And Mane got the same treatment on here as Boufal and Redmond when he first came....?

If JWP played for someone else we'd be coveting him...

What gets me is why can't we 1) get the best (obscene) price possible and 2) buy a decent replacement, instead of making do on the cheap?? If we are the equivalent if a cheap whore, than let's not make stupid comments about aiming to be the next Miss World - better to just say, "I might not be classy, but you'll have one hell of a one night (1 or 2 season) with me, and then marry your posh wife and dream about me every night!!

1) We usually do (Lambert and Fonte for a start, Bertrand and Van Dijk have 4/5 years left too so would be obscenely expensive to buy from us)

2) The whole methodology is finding value and improving the player, it gives us better players than we've paid for and we make a profit.

Nice to see the 'bedwetters' convention is in full swing. :)

It's quite funny just lurking and reading isn't it. It's not just this thread either - pretty much the whole board - I don't think there is one single thing right with the club at the moment - apparently.

What is the matter with you if you can't see why people are so hacked off with the lies and deceit coming from above that the club dress up in amiable rhetoric to sucker idiots like you into following the company line?

If we are not in it (PL) to win it then why all the pretence and bull**** and 6 year contracts and such garbage. Can you not see how all it is designed to do is to fool gullible fans into a false sense of security and loyalty so that they are willing accomplices in being robbed every year of upward of £500?

Get some balls man and wake up to what has been happening and will continue to happen at SFC all the time the present asset-stripping regime is in power and running the show.

There is drivel and there is drivel.

• 2 weeks later...

BERTRAND EDGES TO CITY MOVE

Manchester City have made a significant step closer in their pursuit of England left-back Ryan Bertrand after Monaco slapped a £40m price tag on Benjamin Mendy.

Sky Sports News HQ understands that Bertrand, along with his fellow England full back Kyle Walker, could be Manchester City players in less than a fortnight.

SSNHQ reported in April that Bertrand and Walker were both on City’s top five list of targets in the forthcoming summer window – and we understand some aspects of the deal for Bertrand have already been agreed.

The deal would see the full back more than double the £55,000 a week he’s presently on at St Mary’s.

BERTRAND EDGES TO CITY MOVE

Manchester City have made a significant step closer in their pursuit of England left-back Ryan Bertrand after Monaco slapped a £40m price tag on Benjamin Mendy.

Sky Sports News HQ understands that Bertrand, along with his fellow England full back Kyle Walker, could be Manchester City players in less than a fortnight.

SSNHQ reported in April that Bertrand and Walker were both on City’s top five list of targets in the forthcoming summer window – and we understand some aspects of the deal for Bertrand have already been agreed.

The deal would see the full back more than double the £55,000 a week he’s presently on at St Mary’s.

So why don't we slap a £40m price tag on Ryan then? They're clearly on a mission and seemingly willing to pay anything you want.

So why don't we slap a £40m price tag on Ryan then? They're clearly on a mission and seemingly willing to pay anything you want.

While I'm normally quite pragmatic about our chances of keeping hold of players (and Bertrand hasn't looked massively interested in recent weeks anyway), there is something galling about a news report which says that Team A have put a high price tag on a player, and therefore a Southampton player is going to be signed instead...

We probably will or already have - he's got 4 years left on his deal too.

We probably will or already have - he's got 4 years left on his deal too.

Clearly have not slapped £40m if the reason City are going for him is because he is cheaper than Mendy.

£34m-£37m for Bertrand + £60m for VVD.

Gives us just under £100m transfer budget.

I had a nightmare yesterday: Kat selling all the assets given the value of employees (i.e. the players) do not add to value of club. She sells the players, rakes in the cash then sells to Lander for £175m.

We get relegated due to constant cost cutting etc

at the end of the day, when Kat says she wants best interests of club etc etc, nothing more than trying to please the fans with these bullsh*t comments.

If we do sell Bertrand then I hope we stick with Targett and McQueen as our left backs, both have shown enough promise that they deserve a go, rather than us spending £20 million on some foreigner who is unlikely to be much better.

If we do sell Bertrand then I hope we stick with Targett and McQueen as our left backs, both have shown enough promise that they deserve a go, rather than us spending £20 million on some foreigner who is unlikely to be much better.

Neither of them are anywhere near Bertrand's quality. It would be a step backwards.

Thanks for posting, Les ;)

Clearly have not slapped £40m if the reason City are going for him is because he is cheaper than Mendy.

£34m-£37m for Bertrand + £60m for VVD.

Gives us just under £100m transfer budget.

I had a nightmare yesterday: Kat selling all the assets given the value of employees (i.e. the players) do not add to value of club. She sells the players, rakes in the cash then sells to Lander for £175m.

We get relegated due to constant cost cutting etc

at the end of the day, when Kat says she wants best interests of club etc etc, nothing more than trying to please the fans with these bullsh*t comments.

Really, did you wet the bed ?

Targett will never be a good full back. His positional sense is all wrong for that position. As a left winger he is a good prospect.

Neither of them are anywhere near Bertrand's quality. It would be a step backwards.

They are not as good as him but then why would we expect 21 year olds to be as good as a 27 year old international, but 'anywhere near' is a silly statement, they've both shown enough quality to perform in the PL and both are still young so can keep improving, they are basically the England U21 left backs as well.

I'd rather have them than Clichy, or Gibbs or whatever middling left back we'd probably replace them with.

I get all this - it makes sense generally - i guess my question is about guys like Gylfi Siggurdson, if saints had picked him up when Swansea did hed be gone - certainly this summer but i can see him staying - how do clubs achieve that - is it just down to players having been burned by a big club once and being happy - if so wheres Bertrand off to etc. I know we have to sell sometimes and i get people want to progress, im just not sure why some stay at other clubs and feel its a bit of a "selling club" persona we now have based on our model

Interesting comparison with Gylfi and Bertrand. Not quite the same as Bertrand started at Chelsea, whilst Gylfi made the move to Spurs and then returned. I suspect he will be very reluctant to make another move, whilst Bertrand doesn't have a `failed' move playing on his mind.

The fact is, Swansea sold Gylfi first time round and clubs of our size will continue to sell their top players to bigger fish if they are wanted. The only way to keep them is to pay them more than they can get at those clubs, but as was proved with Arteta, even that doesn't always work.

Bertrand is much better, so who is to say that a new signing from abroad might not also be much better? I like McQueen, but if we signed someone worse than Targett is right now, then whoever was responsible would want shooting.

I think we'll probably find that this is City trying to get Monaco to reduce their price, like we do every Summer, and they will probably leave us with Bertrand.

I thought it was posted on here that Bertrand was signing for Spurs? His body language last few games was enough to show he had something lined up or want away.

I think we'll probably find that this is City trying to get Monaco to reduce their price, like we do every Summer, and they will probably leave us with Bertrand.

Similar to VVD, I'd be very surprised if Bertrand is here come the start of next season.

If he is (It'll depend on who is manager), then Les and new manager deserve massive credit.

Similar to VVD, I'd be very surprised if Bertrand is here come the start of next season.

If he is (It'll depend on who is manager), then Les and new manager deserve massive credit.

Well, that isn't going to happen

Targett will never be a good full back. His positional sense is all wrong for that position. As a left winger he is a good prospect.

Apart from a lack of pace, crossing ability, skill and attacking instincts, he's almost the perfect winger...

I think Target has improved defensively in the last 18 months or so and become a relatively solid - albeit limited - back up. That's pretty much his correct place in the pecking order, though.

If you think thats the answer to our left back position next season ...:D:Dyou need to go look at your self in the mirror and shout " Im not quite right in the Fn head !"

Apart from a lack of pace, crossing ability, skill and attacking instincts, he's almost the perfect winger...

I think Target has improved defensively in the last 18 months or so and become a relatively solid - albeit limited - back up. That's pretty much his correct place in the pecking order, though.

Perhaps I should have said left midfield, maybe wingback if they are still around. His crossing in his last game was awful but he had been off injured for a long while so I'll give him that one. You have to ask why he was chosen for hat match though.

If Lallana and Morgan had started out in the Premier league instead of league 1 I can only imagine the comments on here about their abilities.

A very good point. However, conversely if they had and we relied on both as starters then we would have been relegated.

I'd take £25million or more and reinvest it elsewhere, I think McQueen is good enough and Targett is able backup.

(Not as good as Bertrand, but not such a downgrade that we'd miss him - and if that money helps us keep Van Dijk then crack on).

I'd take £25million or more and reinvest it elsewhere, I think McQueen is good enough and Targett is able backup.

(Not as good as Bertrand, but not such a downgrade that we'd miss him - and if that money helps us keep Van Dijk then crack on).

McQ is decent backup. Targett I don't think is good enough at this level and I'd give him a loan out somewhere, if not sell him.

Let me guess spurs flew him out to Southend-on-sea for a clandestine chat with poch who has been sexting him on a regular basis ever since?

Am hearing the deal broke down as Levy wouldn't sanction a flake in Bertie's Rossi ice cream.

So, Liverpool are going to have the most formidable defend in their history:

Clyne --- VVD --- Lovren --- Bertrand

Oh, together with Lallana and Mane

I think they will win the preimer league next summer.

I was under the assumption that following Poch, and Bale, and Richards, and Hoddle, the club was unwilling to do business with Spurs unless it had no choice (i.e. Vic running his contract down and only wanting to join Poch at Spurs). Am I right? I'm hoping that I am because for the above reasons, I dislike Spurs more than I dislike Everton and even Liverpool.