Ryan Bertrand

SO16_Saint

Why would he sit on the bench? he is one of the best LBs in the league I'm pretty sure he'd get plenty of game time.

Yes he is one of the best however, he will be small cog in a big wheel of spending and maybe someone just to keep up their quota of Brits. If, a player from abroad comes in to CIty who the manager prefers and they can afford easily he will be pushed back again.

I can think of another explayer who is a small cog. Yes he has been injured, but so was Jay. Do you think Utd will give him more opportunity to prove himself or shift him on as they did with Schniedelin? They all think they go to better teams but they have to be outstanding as these big teams can afford to shop in more expensive stores. Really like the Waitrose egg scenario.

I'm sure Ryan will feel compelled to stay after some absolute helmet insinuated him posing on a yacht in Cannes on Instagram meant he wasn't fulfilling his promises regarding the Grenfell Tower re-housing. I hoped, in vein, that it wasn't a Saints fan but alas his follow up response to Ryan's shutdown was based on his frustration at our players always wanting away. ****ing hell, people.

* I must add that I realise multi-millionaire footballer's are unlikely to be influenced by the behaviour of moronic fans on social media when it comes to decision making.

Edited by saintwbu

McQueen looks comfortable going forward but having watched both closely I reckon Targett is a far superior defender. McQueen gets taken to the cleaners way too easily.

Targett is very average and lacks pace replacing Bertrand with Targett is like trading in your Audi tt for Ford Fiesta.

Add to list of players we have sold too cheaply. Puncheon, Cork, Clyne, Wanyama, Mane.

I would definitely add Fonte (8m) Pelle (10m) Clyne (11m) to that list.

The only player there I think we sold too cheaply was Mane.

Cork and Puncheon weren't wanted and were basically back ups. £8 million for a 32 year old is good business, as is whatever we got for 30 year old Pelle (and it was more than £10 million) and Clyne/Wanyama were in the last years of their contract.

Not to mention that Morgan, Shaw, Lallana, Lovren, based on what they've done since we got way more than what they were worth at the time.

Ryan has been unhappy and wanted out for some time.

Les will have known this and has had plenty of time to assess his options. I cannot believe we will go into next season without a top choice LB. I wouldn't be surprised if Targett went, either on loan or permanently.

Apparently Kieran Gibbs is available for £15m. If we sell Ryan and get Gibbs in with £10m left in our pocket, I'd say that's a pretty good deal.

I'd also take Lucas Perez off their hands as well.

Edited by SKD

Only thing I was told this summer too (not from anyone ITK - just appears to be common knowledge to some working in same circles). Didn't expect it to be City as I've read he has quite the project going on at his Surrey residence.

My mate went to price a job at his house a couple of weeks ago and spoke to him and his missus. I asked him if he'd mentioned the transfer rumours to Ryan, but he said he was too busy drooling over Ryans OH to listen to what Ryan was saying......I think he's now got the job, so I'll prime him to stay focused and concentrate when Ryan speaks!!! :^)

Chelsea look to be signing Alex Sandro so i'd imagine they aren't interested in Bertrand. Would Arsenal be out of the question? They do play with wing backs now.

They signed that new LB/WB from Schalke, pretty sure they're covered.

Spurs are also covered with Rose and Davies.

Only clubs with genuine needs for a LB are Liverpool and City, so if he goes it'll be to one of those I'd have thought.

So unless something happens with Rose at Spurs, I cannot see him getting a place at a 'Top' london club.

I've no idea why Liverpool haven't signed Bertrand already, TBH.

They were probably planning on a buy 1 get one free deal with us, but we've thrown their plans in the water a bit. And i'm bloody pleased we stood up to it.

I think we'd look incredibly weak to sell to Liverpool now, in whatever circumstances. Can't see any deals happening between the clubs for a while, it needs to cool down a bit.

They signed that new LB/WB from Schalke, pretty sure they're covered.

Spurs are also covered with Rose and Davies.

Only clubs with genuine needs for a LB are Liverpool and City, so if he goes it'll be to one of those I'd have thought.

So unless something happens with Rose at Spurs, I cannot see him getting a place at a 'Top' london club.

Rose was being heavily linked with City in April/May (ditto Kyle Walker) so would be one of Spurs' domestic top stars gone and replaced with another I guess by buying Ryan. However, that hasn't surfaced for a few weeks so City may prefer Bertrand. Would prefer City to buy him if he is going to go as they'll pay the £££ and avoids having to do business with Daniel Levy or Jurgen Klopp.

Rose was being heavily linked with City in April/May (ditto Kyle Walker) so would be one of Spurs' domestic top stars gone and replaced with another I guess by buying Ryan. However, that hasn't surfaced for a few weeks so City may prefer Bertrand. Would prefer City to buy him if he is going to go as they'll pay the £££ and avoids having to do business with Daniel Levy or Jurgen Klopp.

City want Mendy as well, I think he's their top target. I don't buy the story that they want 4 full backs. It'll be one or the other for each position in my opinion. They still have Kolarov and Fernadinho can play there if required.

City want Mendy as well, I think he's their top target. I don't buy the story that they want 4 full backs. It'll be one or the other for each position in my opinion. They still have Kolarov and Fernadinho can play there if required.

Would be difficult to keep them all happy, even on City wages! Mendy is another name that keeps popping up but Ryan has the domestic card and helps them. Alves won't be able to play every game. Did I read somewhere that Kolarov might be on the move?

Ryan might prefer to stay in the south though.

Ryan has been unhappy and wanted out for some time.

Les will have known this and has had plenty of time to assess his options. I cannot believe we will go into next season without a top choice LB. I wouldn't be surprised if Targett went, either on loan or permanently.

Apparently Kieran Gibbs is available for £15m. If we sell Ryan and get Gibbs in with £10m left in our pocket, I'd say that's a pretty good deal.

I'd also take Lucas Perez off their hands as well.

Me too. Gibbs would be a good option if RB leaves.

just read the same article

A move for a second left-back – and fourth full-back in total – following the departures of Pablo Zabaleta, Bacary Sagna and Gaël Clichy is not thought to be a priority with Guardiola satisfied that Aleksandar Kolarov, who has 12 months left on his contract, can provide cover at left-back as well as centre-half. Kolarov has raised the prospect of returning to Lazio when he leaves City.

no mention of Bertrand only VVD

Manchester City reignite transfer interest in Southampton's Ryan Bertrand as Monaco demand £40m-plus for Benjamin Mendy:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-city-reignite-transfer-interest-10698994

Basically, nobody really knows what's going on with this one...!

Correct me if I'm wrong' date=' but don't think he and poch ever overlapped at saints. So no reuniting there[/quote']

No I think you're right. He replaced Luke Shaw, who departed the same summer as Poch. Plus I suspect (and hope) that we won't do deals with Levy.

The only reason why Ryan might leave is his age. At the end of the season he was quite obviously tired and finding regular games tough to get through physically. If a bigger club offered him more money as squad player it might suit him to sit on the bench for say one on three games as aback-up to A.N.Other.

The only reason why Ryan might leave is his age. At the end of the season he was quite obviously tired and finding regular games tough to get through physically. If a bigger club offered him more money as squad player it might suit him to sit on the bench for say one on three games as aback-up to A.N.Other.

Cobblers, he will want to play just like most other players unless they are like Michael Owen...

Lol. Ok then.

Perhaps you should consult a psychiatrist.

It looks like this rumour is coming from the Sun, quoting from an "Etihad source":

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/3908459/southampton-manchester-city-kelechi-iheanacho-pep-guardiola-ryan-bertrand/

I would probably discount it somewhat, given F365's Mediawatch has had previous with the exclusives. http://www.football365.com/news/mediawatch-jfk-the-moon-landings-wayne-rooney

It's more than a rumour. It was put forward by City at least 2 weeks. I told Ericb about it when I was told it.

Interesting, thanks. I'd take the deal if RB is as unsettled as it seems. The problems as I see it are, City's reported insistence on a buy-back clause for Iheanacho and only yesterday Les stated on Sky that no top players would be leaving. RB is a top player, and he's English, which enhances his value to teams like City. Perhaps this could fall into Les Reed's "right thing for them and the club" category?

It's more than a rumour. It was put forward by City at least 2 weeks. I told Ericb about it when I was told it.

I assume the sticking point would be city wanting a buy back clause (seems to be the 'in thing' at the moment with Chelsea looking to do the same with a lot of their players)?

I assume the sticking point would be city wanting a buy back clause (seems to be the 'in thing' at the moment with Chelsea looking to do the same with a lot of their players)?

I don't know TBH. I was told originally that he'd be used in a £50m + player deal for VvD and it then seemed to morph into ££ + player for Bertrand when it appeared VvD wasn't going anywhere. Perhaps the club have Said Bertrand isn't now going anywhere either, I genuinely haven't a clue.

All I do know was that City fully expected to have Bertrand in as 1 of 4 full backs to be bought this window. I may find more out this weekend if I'm out with the chap from Manchester.

I'm loathe to put to much on here as the usual dins are all over it.

Personally I'd take £25m + player for Bertrand.