Ryan Bertrand

SO16_Saint

Looking forward to next season with a team that includes Targett and JWP as part of the first 11 :(

If that happens, pretty much relegation and that's without Lander on the scene or Puel departing. If we've thrown the towel in this early there could be worse to come.

Ffs. Why doesn't fat Kat just sell up and do one already. Les can follow suit.

Bring back the don with his new Markus in tow

This.

Pathetic how we bend over and take it so regularly.

If players are desperate for more money and or to leave let them **** off abroad, STOP selling to our rivals.

****ing joke

Ffs. Why doesn't fat Kat just sell up and do one already. Les can follow suit.

Bring back the don with his new Markus in tow

This.

If players are desperate for more money and or to leave let them **** off abroad, STOP selling to our rivals.

****ing joke

Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool, Man Utd, Man City & Chelsea all have incomes and wage budgets significantly larger than us.

Not sure why I'm bothering to tell you this for the 1,000th time, but you are both delusional if you think we will keep top players forever. Football has a transfer pecking order, Saints are never going to be at the top of it.

It is a good thing that the top clubs want our players, it shows we have a high quality of player. I'd be more concerned if the top clubs didn't want to sign our players as that would suggest we've had a big drop in quality.

It surely isn't hard to grasp that we will sell our top players, we simply don't have the income to offer them long term what they can get at some of the richest clubs in the world. Fffs though, it is not as if under Les Reed et al we've done badly, this seaosn was the 4th in a row in the top 8 of the world's highest profile league.

It is painful day after day reading your nonsense Heisenberg. You "points" get rebutted time after time, you ignore the rebuttals and trot out the same nonsense a few days later. I'm confused as to why you post or read this forum, you seem to take joy from creating an endless stream of negative dribble! :mcinnes:

Look at the bigger picture and alongside 1980-85, 2012 to 2017 is the second golden spell in the history of Southampton football club!!! It is along with the early 1980s is the best time it has ever been to be a SOuthampton fan in terms of league performance over a sustained period of now 4 seasons in a row.

^ time to wake up MLG.....

We will receive £150+ million for last seasons efforts, we are no longer "plucky little Saints" scrimping and saving.

Weve also sold players last 4 summers and bought in £240m....

How much money do we need in the bank?

When teams like AFCB can pay players like Defoe anf Terry mega money its time you start asking serious questions about out fetish for selling players EVERY summer.

As before if our greedy players are so desperate to leave let there agents find them a club abroad.

#quietsummer

Les did not do his credibility any favours when he said that.

Still, nothing has happened yet and technically it isn't summer yet. Perhaps he was being cunning with his wording and intending to get all the outgoings done before June 20.

The reason I do not believe that he will end up at Spurs is their wage structure lacks the insane largess of some of the other top 6 teams who may be looking for a new shiny LB, but I am also motivated by a desire to see Saints get a decent price for him, and also an irrational hatred of Levy.

We will receive £150+ million for last seasons efforts, we are no longer "plucky little Saints" scrimping and saving.

When teams like AFCB can pay players like Defoe anf Terry mega money its time you start asking serious questions about out fetish for selling players EVERY summer.

As before if our greedy players are so desperate to leave let there agents find them a club abroad.

At no point in my post did I say we didn't make a lot of money. The point you keep strangely ignoring & repeating the same nonsense time after time even after it has be rebutted, is there are some clubs in our league that have a lot more money than us. You are delusional if you think long term we will keep our players if they are wanted by those clubs. We are never going to be at the top of the transfer pecking order in world football. We will lose players if richer clubs want them, the same happens to every club apart from a tiny, tiny handful.

MLG, the problem is we are now known throughout football as "the" selling club. Both to players/agents and other clubs.

We are never going reach the next level that Les and Raplh are always banging on about if every year we sell our best players to the clubs that are already at that level. Simples.

The most worrying aspect of the sell sell sell approach is a couple of bad transfer windows in terms of replacements ends up with Championship football.

At no point in my post did I say we didn't make a lot of money. The point you keep strangely ignoring & repeating the same nonsense time after time even after it has be rebutted, is there are some clubs in our league that have a lot more money than us. You are delusional if you think long term we will keep our players if they are wanted by those clubs. We are never going to be at the top of the transfer pecking order in world football. We will lose players if richer clubs want them, the same happens to every club apart from a tiny, tiny handful.

What's the rule when a player has 4 years left on his contract?

Spurs is a weird one. Thought it was Walker that was off and not Rose. What sort of money can we expect for Bertrand? £25-30m?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doubt Levy will pay anything like that. Isn't the usual spurs tactic agree move with players agent, put in stupidly low bid, tell player to agitate for move hope players current club bend over and take it...

Spurs have great players. Man C, Chelsea and Man United have more money than Spurs.

Why dont they just take the great Spurs players?

Doubt Levy will pay anything like that. Isn't the usual spurs tactic agree move with players agent, put in stupidly low bid, tell player to agitate for move hope players current club bend over and take it...

Yes it is. Just one of the reasons I dislike Levy. That being said other "big" clubs seem to have a similar MO, but perhaps without Levy's extreme low-balling once the player's head is well and truly turned. There's often some form of indirect tapping up process in the media as well, which I have not seen yet re Bertrand. Just lots of ITKs here and on 606.

Seem to recall we were told last year we were signing up players on longer contracts so we could guard against being forced into selling so soon? So surely we don't need to sell Bertrand as he still has 4 years left right?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Seem to recall we were told last year we were signing up players on longer contracts so we could guard against being forced into selling so soon? So surely we don't need to sell Bertrand as he still has 4 years left right?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

And we won't be forced into selling, if we do it'll be because we feel the offer is too good to turn down and the money would be more beneficial to us than the player. I wouldn't sell him for less than 25-30 million, and it goes without saying that we would need to replace him and not rely on Targett and McQueen

This.

****ing joke

Hey we, as a club (and a lot of our fans), have accepted our place in the world order. Don't go dreaming about champions league, or even bloodying the nose of the big boys from time to time. Getting 4 points from 12 games against the top 6 is the very top of our game you know. You should be grateful for that.

And If Liverpool want one of our players we will drive him there before the transfer window to ensure he is there safe and sound so we don't disrupt any of their pre season. Meanwhile we scrabble around until the end of August trying to get deals done for players who don't really want to be here, who miss pre season and even the first few games sometimes.

so whilst Liverpool get off to a flyer having had their squad together since June we have a slow start whilst the unfortunate manager tries to get some cohesion into the new set of players he has been presented with.

Just Relax, let the players go and watch the good times roll! It's the Southampton way!

Hey we, as a club (and a lot of our fans), have accepted our place in the world order. Don't go dreaming about champions league, or even bloodying the nose of the big boys from time to time. Getting 4 points from 12 games against the top 6 is the very top of our game you know. You should be grateful for that.

And If Liverpool want one of our players we will drive him there before the transfer window to ensure he is there safe and sound so we don't disrupt any of their pre season. Meanwhile we scrabble around until the end of August trying to get deals done for players who don't really want to be here, who miss pre season and even the first few games sometimes.

so whilst Liverpool get off to a flyer having had their squad together since June we have a slow start whilst the unfortunate manager tries to get some cohesion into the new set of players he has been presented with.

Just Relax, let the players go and watch the good times roll! It's the Southampton way!

:lol:

Would be surprised if Spurs let Rose and Walker go in one summer, and would be even more surprised if Bertrand went to potentially play second fiddle to Rose. Chelsea would make sense, he clearly never gave up on them given that he didn't re-locate, and also with Champions League football they'll want competition in that LWB position. Arsenal also would make sense, given that they've played wing backs lately and they don't really have a good enough left sided one.

Good luck and good bye to anyone that does not want to be here as far as I am concerned - we made you and gave you the chance but if you want out off you go - not many have prospered development wise, but sure the bank balance will have been more than a soothing pillow.

What gets me is why can't we 1) get the best (obscene) price possible and 2) buy a decent replacement, instead of making do on the cheap?? If we are the equivalent if a cheap whore, than let's not make stupid comments about aiming to be the next Miss World - better to just say, "I might not be classy, but you'll have one hell of a one night (1 or 2 season) with me, and then marry your posh wife and dream about me every night!!

I would've lost my money.

(If I was a betting man, I would've put it on Liverpool).

He wants to stay in and around London, where he currently lives.

Can't really blame him. He's been unhappy for some time now and has been great in the time he's been here.

Who knows if Puel going earlier would have made a doffence, I doubt it to be honest.

This.

****ing joke

Well they are a level 1 club, aren't they?

Nice to see the 'bedwetters' convention is in full swing. :)

We're definitely doomed. It will be just like that time we sold Europe's best young left back to Manchester United and replaced him which cheapo shi te replacement who'd been a failure in every club he'd been at. Clueless greedy Les selling high and replacing with junk. Whatever happened to that guy?

It is painful day after day reading your nonsense Heisenberg. You "points" get rebutted time after time, you ignore the rebuttals and trot out the same nonsense a few days later. I'm confused as to why you post or read this forum, you seem to take joy from creating an endless stream of negative dribble! :mcinnes:

You genuinely haven't worked that out yet...?

We're definitely doomed. It will be just like that time we sold Europe's best young left back to Manchester United and replaced him which cheapo shi te replacement who'd been a failure in every club he'd been at. Clueless greedy Les selling high and replacing with junk. Whatever happened to that guy?

Horrendous...and that international right back that went to Liverpool...how could we ever get an international replacement that was any good?!

You genuinely haven't worked that out yet...?

It's funny. According to Kinsey 98% of us do it at least occasionally, but there are some people who take it as their life's mantra and act it all the time. MLG, bless 'im, hasn't realised that.

Spurs have great players. Man C, Chelsea and Man United have more money than Spurs.

Why dont they just take the great Spurs players?

They will do it just takes more time and Money as Spurs are a more attractive better paying option than saints this allows them to keep hold of a better standard of player than us ie Wanyama and alderwiereld, if spurs were a top ten club rather than a top four do you really think Kane and Alli would still be there? Both of whom will leave at some point for more money at a bigger club it's just a matter of time spurs will loose less players than us but they will never hold onto the really top draw ones like Bale as the bigger fish will chomp them u[.

They will do it just takes more time and Money as Spurs are a more attractive better paying option than saints this allows them to keep hold of a better standard of player than us ie Wanyama and alderwiereld, if spurs were a top ten club rather than a top four do you really think Kane and Alli would still be there? Both of whom will leave at some point for more money at a bigger club it's just a matter of time spurs will loose less players than us but they will never hold onto the really top draw ones like Bale as the bigger fish will chomp them u[.

This is right and anyone who is not being wilfully obtuse can see it.

Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool, Man Utd, Man City & Chelsea all have incomes and wage budgets significantly larger than us.

Not sure why I'm bothering to tell you this for the 1,000th time, but you are both delusional if you think we will keep top players forever. Football has a transfer pecking order, Saints are never going to be at the top of it.

It is a good thing that the top clubs want our players, it shows we have a high quality of player. I'd be more concerned if the top clubs didn't want to sign our players as that would suggest we've had a big drop in quality.

It surely isn't hard to grasp that we will sell our top players, we simply don't have the income to offer them long term what they can get at some of the richest clubs in the world. Fffs though, it is not as if under Les Reed et al we've done badly, this seaosn was the 4th in a row in the top 8 of the world's highest profile league.

Look at the bigger picture and alongside 1980-85, 2012 to 2017 is the second golden spell in the history of Southampton football club!!! It is along with the early 1980s is the best time it has ever been to be a SOuthampton fan in terms of league performance over a sustained period of now 4 seasons in a row.

What is the matter with you if you can't see why people are so hacked off with the lies and deceit coming from above that the club dress up in amiable rhetoric to sucker idiots like you into following the company line?

If we are not in it (PL) to win it then why all the pretence and bull**** and 6 year contracts and such garbage. Can you not see how all it is designed to do is to fool gullible fans into a false sense of security and loyalty so that they are willing accomplices in being robbed every year of upward of £500?

Get some balls man and wake up to what has been happening and will continue to happen at SFC all the time the present asset-stripping regime is in power and running the show.

I get all this - it makes sense generally - i guess my question is about guys like Gylfi Siggurdson, if saints had picked him up when Swansea did hed be gone - certainly this summer but i can see him staying - how do clubes achieve that - is it just down to players having been burned by a big club once and being happy - if so wheres Bertrand off to etc. I know we have to sell sometimes and i get people want to progress, im just not sure why some stay at other clubs and feel its a bit of a "selling club" persona we now have based on our model

Let's not re-write history here. When Lovren/Toby left, they were only decent because Fonte carried them etc etc. Now Fonte's left, he was only decent because VVD/Toby carried him etc etc.

He is better than Stephens, he's a Euro winner and was a huge, huge part of our success over the last 3 seasons. It's folly to write him off. The club still failed in the January window to address that.

It's good that Stephens got his chance and I'm more than happy with him, but I don't think it should have happened like that.

Alderweireld was and is the best centre back in the division, when alongside Fonte and behind Schneiderlin the defence was formidable. But that was 2014. Fonte was garbage this season at times, and plenty of people said he was well off the pace even in August. Stephens may or may not turn into a player as good as Fonte was at his peak, but there was little difference between Stephens at his best and Fonte this season.

Lovren was decent but made to look better by Fonte and it took 2 years for him to find someone to do the same at Liverpool. Again, 4 years ago, Fonte had declined a lot, and pretty rapidly, by the time we sold him.

Bertrand has pretty much already said he hasn't considered leaving, not sure why the discussion's happening tbf. Our signing of "big club rejects" with him and Romeu seems like a viable way forward, and smart way to find players who might stick around.

Edited by The9

Horrendous...and that international right back that went to Liverpool...how could we ever get an international replacement that was any good?!

And don't forget the Sengalese attacker who went to Liverpool for big money only to be replaced by the new Thierry Henry and a Moroccan superstar. And the Kenyan international midfielder who couldn't pass that we replaced with a Norwegian international equal of Barcelona's Xavi and our own home grown future international England captain JWP.

Defoe is on £60k a week. And that's only because his relegation release means he doesn't have a transfer fee.