Ryan Bertrand

SO16_Saint

So, Liverpool are going to have the most formidable defend in their history:

Clyne --- VVD --- Lovren --- Bertrand

Oh, together with Lallana and Mane

I think they will win the preimer league next summer.

No they wont they will bottle it as per...............

I was under the assumption that following Poch, and Bale, and Richards, and Hoddle, the club was unwilling to do business with Spurs unless it had no choice (i.e. Vic running his contract down and only wanting to join Poch at Spurs). Am I right? I'm hoping that I am because for the above reasons, I dislike Spurs more than I dislike Everton and even Liverpool.

Don't forget the Alderweireld saga! Agreed, don't want to see any of our players go there.

It's unlikely to be Liverpool now, I'd also be surprised if was Spurs cos we don't like Levy as he's a c*nt, not sure they have any cash anyway looking at their stadium costs, and I'd find it odd if he wanted to go back to Chelsea plus Alonso looked pretty damn good for them last year.

Which leaves City really , who seemingly are going for other targets.

Credible ITKs seem fairly certain that he has wanted out for some time, both here and on Not606.

He has, he'll go.

I still maintain that I think he'll end up at Chelsea. He wants / his preference is to stay in London.

Alonso has been good for Chelsea this year, but since Chelsea are a club that usually have two great players for every position and since Conte's formation change that hasn't been the case. Now they're in the Champions League, great back up is going to be vital, and I think Bertrand would push Alonso into being that great back up in the wing back role. Would make sense if they came in for him.

I thought part of the reason he wanted out was Puel though, so Puel out, new manager in he might not be so desperate to get out the door.

I'm sure I've seen interviews from him before where he basically said after his experience at Chelsea he'd prefer playing regularly and was wary of going to a big club again.

Matt Le Tissier‏Verified account @mattletiss7 30m30 minutes ago

Matt Le Tissier Retweeted Emanuele Giulianelli

As no fee been agreed between clubs is this more evidence of tapping up???

Matt Le Tissier added,

Emanuele Giulianelli @EmaGiulianelli

Ryan Bertrand has accepted the contract of Manchester City, personal terms agreed. 5 years at €3.8mln. #MCFC

4 replies 7 retweets 15 likes

Matt Le Tissier‏Verified account @mattletiss7 30m30 minutes ago

Matt Le Tissier Retweeted Emanuele Giulianelli

As no fee been agreed between clubs is this more evidence of tapping up??? ������

Matt Le Tissier added,

Emanuele Giulianelli @EmaGiulianelli

Ryan Bertrand has accepted the contract of Manchester City, personal terms agreed. 5 years at €3.8mln. #MCFC

4 replies 7 retweets 15 likes

Unless my maths is wrong I do not see Bertrand signing 3.8 m euro a year or 61K pounds per week at city he should be 100k+

Was Bertrand actually that good this year. He seems to get a lot of praise from pundits (who see the odd game). I feel he had a much worse season than previously. Is there a bias in favour of him? I could be wrong. I'm not saying he was poor but really, was he GREAT? Genuine question.

I think that's a fair question but he is suited to a faster style of play making runs beyond the midfield which is when he shines. In Puels slow left to right and back again style he is stuck. A decent defender nonetheless but his real difference is his ability in the opposition's third for a full-back. I hope we keep him but if City do come calling then I would not begrudge him another crack with a big team but for 30m!!!

Was Bertrand actually that good this year. He seems to get a lot of praise from pundits (who see the odd game). I feel he had a much worse season than previously. Is there a bias in favour of him? I could be wrong. I'm not saying he was poor but really, was he GREAT? Genuine question.

This is SainteWeb. How good he was depends on whether he leaves or stays.

He is an excellent player who sadly looked like he couldn't be arsed in the second half of the season.

How long does he have left on his contract? Bertrand was exactly what we needed when we signed him, and I was completely underwhelmed when he was Shaw's replacement but I couldn't have been more wrong, he's been fantastic. If he goes i'll wish him well, he's certainly earned a crack at the big time and for me is far superior to Danny Rose as a defender.

Telling for me has been the improvement we have clearly seen when Bertrand has been injured and then has come back into the side.

He is quietly one of the most allround full backs in the PL and a couple of levels above Targett and McQueen.

Hence he is wanted by City and Chelsea...

Thought he was excellent for England yesterday.

Was not his best season but think that was the Puel factor rather than any dip in ability.

Under the right manager we will again see Bertrand at his best

I completely agree.

With your first sentence.

I don't remember that. I was chuffed to nuts that we'd signed him and will be the opposite when he goes.

You would have been in a minority. There were a few people doing the usual "give him a chance/don't write him off" stuff that they'd say even if we signed Steven Hawking with a Polo mallet.

But it's not an exaggeration to say the reaction was very very negative. A proper good old fashioned meltdown.

You would have been in a minority. There were a few people doing the usual "give him a chance/don't write him off" stuff that they'd say even if we signed Steven Hawking with a Polo mallet.

But it's not an exaggeration to say the reaction was very very negative. A proper good old fashioned meltdown.

It's the same reaction for most players on here time after time. It is hard to spot melt downs when it's the normal status of some. ;)

Had just had a poor loan spell at Villa I believe which of course made him an instantly poor player in many peoples eyes on here when we signed him.

• 2 weeks later...

He's now taking to posting cryptic messages on his instagram...."got me planning to level up like never before...the hunger for more success....season 17/18 pending"

Could be nothing major, reference SFC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's now taking to posting cryptic messages on his instagram...."got me planning to level up like never before...the hunger for more success....season 17/18 pending"

Could be nothing major, reference SFC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is clearly referencing his FX firm.

Can see Man City getting him they need a left back have loads of money and are always desperate for English players to fill their home-based player quota

And sit on the bench...again and again and again just like he did at Chelsea let's face it he will again be a small dog in a big wheel