Ryan Bertrand

SO16_Saint

Neither do I

If I was a footballer I would rather play for Liverpool than Southampton

But that said the players do have contracts to play for Southampton

I'd rather play 1st team regularly for saints than get lost in the squad of one of the champions league clubs. For many it's been a career ender - Scott Sinclair for instance.

I'd rather play 1st team regularly for saints than get lost in the squad of one of the champions league clubs. For many it's been a career ender - Scott Sinclair for instance.

Players with self confidence will feel they should start every week and relish the challenge of competing with top players.

Unless theyre a saints fan, no player would rather play for saints over liverpool.

- Sky sources say city are close to finalising a deal for Benjamin Mendy from Monaco. Would they still be wanting Bertrand to if this is the case?

Mendy, Kolarov and Bertrand would seem a tad excessive.

I'd say Right Back would be a more pressing issue for them, seeing as they released Sagna and Zabaleta and lost out on Alves.

- Sky sources say city are close to finalising a deal for Benjamin Mendy from Monaco. Would they still be wanting Bertrand to if this is the case?

Probably have no interest in Bertrand, more likely agent talk and the usual **** stirring hostility of the Daily Mail to anything Saints related.

I wonder if this is Reeds last season and he is trying to go out with a mini bang?

Seems odd that he's sold anything and everything the previous 3 summers and openly flogs us as a stepping stone club fighting it out for 8-12th spot and then suddenly slams the stable doors.

Great for us, but feels very much like we are building to a huge sale list next summer.

If he's been making out we're a club battling for 8-12th then we're even better than I thought.

Also, if we win the Prem Leicester-style this year I wouldn't give a shaky sh01te if we sold the entire team the following summer, tbh.

Can't let your hilarious pessimism go uncommented though - if we sell a load of players next year it will only be because we've done really well in the forthcoming season. At the moment I still think THAT part of it is perfectly possible.

£30m for bertrand in this market tbh.

If England's current first choice right back is worth £50 million to City, England's current first choice left back on a longer contract with his club is also worth £50 million, and we shouldn't be taking much less. City have overpaid for Walker IMO, but they've made their bed when it comes to full back transfer fees. The only way I can see us selling for less is if Bertrand himself kicks off about a move.

If England's current first choice right back is worth £50 million to City, England's current first choice left back on a longer contract with his club is also worth £50 million, and we shouldn't be taking much less. City have overpaid for Walker IMO, but they've made their bed when it comes to full back transfer fees. The only way I can see us selling for less is if Bertrand himself kicks off about a move.

Precisely.......

why do so many of our fans feel so good about underselling our players?

27m is laughable for Bertrand in today's market and given his contract too. His value is what we want and that has to be 50m plus .... We don't need to sell either so if it's too hot get out of the kitchen City....

Still laughing at the cheek of the valuation...

Spot on.

I've been saying this all summer: Why aren't Liverpool in for him?

Looks like they are signing Robertson from Hull.

With Mendy looking like he's off to City, plus the fact they retained Kolarov, are Ryan's options getting slimmer?

I know Chalet mentioned Spurs, but can't see them buying unless they shift one on.

Guess that leaves Chelsea, and the Alex Sandro deal has gone very quiet.

Looks like they are signing Robertson from Hull.

With Mendy looking like he's off to City, plus the fact they retained Kolarov, are Ryan's options getting slimmer?

I know Chalet mentioned Spurs, but can't see them buying unless they shift one on.

Guess that leaves Chelsea, and the Alex Sandro deal has gone very quiet.

I heard Spurs from someone very well placed at another London club. Maybe things some things have changed now. Hope so, as I'd be delighted to proved wrong - Bertrand is a top defender and adds great weight to our attacking game.

Seriously ? Walker is a far better player.

It's all about opinions. And in my opinion Bertrand is by far the better all round player than Walker. Quite how Walker gets into the England team is beyond me. He might have a turn of pace, but his decision making and temperament are poor. Spurs won't miss him that much.

I heard Spurs from someone very well placed at another London club. Maybe things some things have changed now. Hope so, as I'd be delighted to proved wrong - Bertrand is a top defender and adds great weight to our attacking game.

I have a theory that Saints refuse to deal with Levy because of all the nonsense he's pulled in the past. I maintain it mainly because it makes me happy.

It's all about opinions. And in my opinion Bertrand is by far the better all round player than Walker. Quite how Walker gets into the England team is beyond me. He might have a turn of pace, but his decision making and temperament are poor. Spurs won't miss him that much.

My best mate is a Spurs fan, and we were discussing the way people's opinions differ based on the team they support. For example, he says he can't understand how VVD can be better than Alderweireld, but given I've seen them both, accepts my view that he is. Equally, he doesn't see how Bertrand could even be comparable to Rose, but mainly because he watches Rose a lot but rarely see Bertrand.

He also says that a common misconception about Walker is that he is shaky defensively, when in fact he is fantastic. Says he's not sure he's ever seen him beaten one-on-one defensively, and his pace means he gets up and back all day long and is perfect for a wing back role. He's also not nearly as prone to lapses as he was a few years back. He did say, however that Walker's final ball is pretty poor, and that while Trippier isn't a patch on him defensively, he will probably offer more going forwards. Last season Trippier managed the same number of assists in about quarter of the minutes, for example (I haven't checked the precise stats, but it was something like that).

Apart from Wanyama?

Bad example: he ran his contract down and wanted to play for Poch again. They declined to sell him to Spurs when he had 2 years left on his contract and was throwing his toys out of the pram, but with one year left Saints were left with the alternatives of dealing with the devil, or seeing Wanyama go for free next season.

This proposed deal (if true) seems to the best way forward, even though I would hate to lose Ryan Bertrand.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/07/16/bookies-southampton-65-favourites-for-arsenal-full-back-kieran-g/

£25m for Bertrand would be a joke on the current climate. English, good defender, dangerous in attack and can cross a ball. Double it, at least.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

It's amazing how quickly us football fans have fallen into line with the new transfer prices a few years ago a 50 million pound player was rare as hens teeth now it seems to becoming the excepted price for anyone considered half decent. Not sure how long these ridiculous player prices are going to be sustainable for.

@SimonPeach: #SaintsFC insistent behind the scenes that Van Dijk won't go anywhere. Similar reluctance means #MCFC not hopeful of getting Bertrand

@SimonPeach: Question is can #SaintsFC stay firm? It's a fine balance keeping best talent & harmonious dressing room. Key few weeks ahead

@SimonPeach: #SaintsFC insistent behind the scenes that Van Dijk won't go anywhere. Similar reluctance means #MCFC not hopeful of getting Bertrand

@SimonPeach: Question is can #SaintsFC stay firm? It's a fine balance keeping best talent & harmonious dressing room. Key few weeks ahead

Can we look forward to Bertrand going on strike next..

It's amazing how quickly us football fans have fallen into line with the new transfer prices a few years ago a 50 million pound player was rare as hens teeth now it seems to becoming the excepted price for anyone considered half decent. Not sure how long these ridiculous player prices are going to be sustainable for.

They're only happening because all Prem clubs are £100m a season better off from the new tv deal, so "two £50m players a summer" seems about the limit (not including wages).