Ryan Bertrand

SO16_Saint

Sorted.

Would be an excellent move for him, and us (providing we could get him past his injuries .. does seem to pick them up a lot).

Won't happen though. Despite turning into a bench warmer at Utd the likelihood is he'll move to City (can't see it personally, but the press suggest it), Chelsea or spurs, where he'll still only be a squad player (plenty of bench time though) where the ££ is more.

I reckon he'll end up at Liverpool. Klopp loves a young player he can develop.

McQueen needs a run of games before being written off. The club/Puel seem to have made the right choices in terms of devolving Stephens, who is to say they won't do the same with McQueen. And before anyone starts, I'm not saying he's better than Bertrand or we won't miss Bertrand, just that the club have proved time & time again that they know what they're doing. They've earns the benefit of the doubt as far as I'm concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wouldn't be too upset to see Bertrand go, given how good McQueen has been. He can step up and despite what people are saying Targett is an adequate reserve.

If we can get £20million or more for Bertrand that's a good amount to reinvest entirely somewhere else in the team, e.g Sigurdsson...

Wouldn't be too upset to see Bertrand go, given how good McQueen has been. He can step up and despite what people are saying Targett is an adequate reserve.

If we can get £20million or more for Bertrand that's a good amount to reinvest entirely somewhere else in the team, e.g Sigurdsson...

I think it's more about the development for the future.

If one is stopping a promising player then we will sell them at a price.

I think keeping Bertrand is essential. He is one of our better players and is usually a guaranteed 8/10 and we can't say that about many of our players. Very few do him for pace and he gets forward well and even scores the odd goal.

Neither Targett or McQueen are anywhere near that level yet. It's replacing players like Bertrand with players that aren't as good that slowly eats away at the overall quality of the team.

It's replacing players like Bertrand with players that aren't as good that slowly eats away at the overall quality of the team.

This, in a nutshell. You can't keep selling the family silver and replacing with possible hidden gems. Eventually you end up with a drawer full of tin.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

This, in a nutshell. You can't keep selling the family silver and replacing with possible hidden gems. Eventually you end up with a drawer full of tin.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

The other option is keep all the family silver until it's contract runs out and let it go for nothing leaving you with out the money to even re-invest in tin and unable to attract gems who don't want to join your collection for fear you will stop them moving somewhere better if they shine..

Despite all the gossip, I just don't see him going. He's settled, his family are settled, he's splashing the cash on his home, and has pretty extensive business interests down South. Whilst Chelsea or Spurs (if Rose goes) are possibles, I just don't see him going to the North West.

Just as in the same way it's sometimes difficult to persuade northerners to move down here - whatever happened to David Weatherill?

The other option is keep all the family silver until it's contract runs out and let it go for nothing leaving you with out the money to even re-invest in tin and unable to attract gems who don't want to join your collection for fear you will stop them moving somewhere better if they shine..

Which was true with Mane but not Ryan as he signed a new long-term deal last summer. I like the look of McQueen but I'm surprised people think he'll do the same job as Bertrand after just a dozen (promising) PL games when Ryan must have played 100-150 plus England, ECL Final etc.

Which was true with Mane but not Ryan as he signed a new long-term deal last summer. I like the look of McQueen but I'm surprised people think he'll do the same job as Bertrand after just a dozen (promising) PL games when Ryan must have played 100-150 plus England, ECL Final etc.

Up until he joined us no-one here would have thought he'd turn out to be Ryan Bertrand. His time at Chelsea and various loan spells didn't point to him being the player he has become. I guess the ting was, he was playing, even if it was at Villa. We've all seen the remarkable progress of jack Stephens through achieving game time.

Assuming Bertrand stays I would send one of Targett or McQueen out on loan - but probably only to a PL club.

Despite all the gossip, I just don't see him going. He's settled, his family are settled, he's splashing the cash on his home, and has pretty extensive business interests down South. Whilst Chelsea or Spurs (if Rose goes) are possibles, I just don't see him going to the North West.

Just as in the same way it's sometimes difficult to persuade northerners to move down here - whatever happened to David Weatherill?

This.

Also Bertrand, like Romeu, has already been at a "big" club, seen what it does for him (nothing except earn him a CL Medal) and is seemingly content with being at a club like Southampton. As long as he continues to be part of the England set up I don't think he will be looking too hard for a move away (assuming all the Puel bust up rumours are just that of course). To me it is one of the advantages of signing someone from one of the big clubs, their desire to move to a big club is much less).

Personally I would be very concerned if Bertrand was to go, although I can see it possibly happening. I was surprised he didn't go last summer. He's an outstanding fullback both with and without the ball, great reader of the game, with pace and an engine to go with it. Crucially he gets his distances right and makes fantastic decisions that prevent him being exposed.

I like McQueen and think he has real talent, which you could see from the first minute he played in the first team. In the cup game against Norwich he was head and shoulders above the rest, although that wasn't saying much that night. But that said, he's still a long way short of offering the kind of quality that Bertrand does. McQueen has pace, strength and ability, but its just that little extra bit of quality on the ball (and off it) that makes the difference at the top level. Its hardly noticeable to the naked eye, but when you remove that genuine quality throughout the side you end up with a team that can't retain possession against a pressing side - just like at Chelsea.

That Chelsea game was a real eye opener for me. We had our best team out, but we didn't have the players to keep the ball for more than a pass or two because of he pressure Chelsea put them under. Players don't just need a good first touch they need a brilliant first touch, strength to hold opponents off and or/the bottle to carry the ball out of tight areas. Bertrand was part of that side and he didn't exactly cope with the press either (which I guess undermines my argument a little), but eroding team quality further certainly isn't going to help if we want to ever compete at the top end of the league again.

If you've read my posts before, you will know what I think of Targett. So far he has looked comfortable on the ball with a decent left foot that will stand him in good stead throughout his career, but by and large he has looked weak (which he can overcome) and the big negative is his lack of pace. Only with the safety blanket of a five man defence and Bertrand behind him has he looked really comfortable. Play him in a back four and stick someone like Zaha on him and he was made to look like a mug. I recall Zaha giving him a 10 yard head start in a midweek cup game and he still lost that race. The number of quality slow fullbacks can be counted on one hand.

He, like many in our squad can `hold and end up' and look comfortable on the ball (Targett certainly has the first touch required), but what we want is players like Bertrand that are `too good for us' so to speak, not `almost good enough for us'. I wonder if Targett will ever become that.

I am perhaps being rather hypocritical here, as I am always inclined to say that Saints fans need to cut young players far more slack than they do, but I simply do not want to go back to the days of watching Saints fullbacks with no pace dragging the side down to nothing more than Premiership relegation fodder.

Personally I would be very concerned if Bertrand was to go, although I can see it possibly happening. I was surprised he didn't go last summer. He's an outstanding fullback both with and without the ball, great reader of the game, with pace and an engine to go with it. Crucially he gets his distances right and makes fantastic decisions that prevent him being exposed.

I like McQueen and think he has real talent, which you could see from the first minute he played in the first team. In the cup game against Norwich he was head and shoulders above the rest, although that wasn't saying much that night. But that said, he's still a long way short of offering the kind of quality that Bertrand does. McQueen has pace, strength and ability, but its just that little extra bit of quality on the ball (and off it) that makes the difference at the top level. Its hardly noticeable to the naked eye, but when you remove that genuine quality throughout the side you end up with a team that can't retain possession against a pressing side - just like at Chelsea.

That Chelsea game was a real eye opener for me. We had our best team out, but we didn't have the players to keep the ball for more than a pass or two because of he pressure Chelsea put them under. Players don't just need a good first touch they need a brilliant first touch, strength to hold opponents off and or/the bottle to carry the ball out of tight areas. Bertrand was part of that side and he didn't exactly cope with the press either (which I guess undermines my argument a little), but eroding team quality further certainly isn't going to help if we want to ever compete at the top end of the league again.

If you've read my posts before, you will know what I think of Targett. So far he has looked comfortable on the ball with a decent left foot that will stand him in good stead throughout his career, but by and large he has looked weak (which he can overcome) and the big negative is his lack of pace. Only with the safety blanket of a five man defence and Bertrand behind him has he looked really comfortable. Play him in a back four and stick someone like Zaha on him and he was made to look like a mug. I recall Zaha giving him a 10 yard head start in a midweek cup game and he still lost that race. The number of quality slow fullbacks can be counted on one hand.

He, like many in our squad can `hold and end up' and look comfortable on the ball (Targett certainly has the first touch required), but what we want is players like Bertrand that are `too good for us' so to speak, not `almost good enough for us'. I wonder if Targett will ever become that.

I am perhaps being rather hypocritical here, as I am always inclined to say that Saints fans need to cut young players far more slack than they do, but I simply do not want to go back to the days of watching Saints fullbacks with no pace dragging the side down to nothing more than Premiership relegation fodder.

Completely agree with you Chez on this, I'm astonished some posters think we wouldn't miss Bertrand, one of the consistently best FBs in the league and one of our hardest working players. Also, he's the perfect role model for McQueen to learn from.

Up until he joined us no-one here would have thought he'd turn out to be Ryan Bertrand. His time at Chelsea and various loan spells didn't point to him being the player he has become. I guess the ting was, he was playing, even if it was at Villa. We've all seen the remarkable progress of jack Stephens through achieving game time.

Assuming Bertrand stays I would send one of Targett or McQueen out on loan - but probably only to a PL club.

I agree, but wasn't quite the point I was making. As a club, we have to develop players and can't have 11 players at Ryan's level of development all the time. However, with VVD linked away, losing 2 experienced members of the back 4 in one summer wouldn't be very bright unless the Black Box has an experienced or talented replacement. McQueen is promising but 12 or so top flight games do not a player maketh.

let me get this right, you would not be too upset seeing one of the best LBs in the country being sold....taking into account the obvious changes inbound with the rest of the back 4......

• 2 weeks later...
Someone who has been right before on the not606 forum says Bertrand will leave and Targett has signed a new 5 year contract. If true it wouldn't surprise me if we went with him and mcqueen as left backs next season. Be a disaster.

The only remotely good thing about this option is IF the entirety of Berty's fee goes towards signing Sigurdsson.

Someone who has been right before on the not606 forum says Bertrand will leave and Targett has signed a new 5 year contract. If true it wouldn't surprise me if we went with him and mcqueen as left backs next season. Be a disaster.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Dear god Targett for Bertrand we are so ****ed next season...

Bertrand has had a face like a smacked arse for most of the season.

If this is another one of the player goes or the manager goes options and possibilities then dear Lord please send the French guy home.

Behave. It'll have nothing to do with Puel.

If this is another one of the player goes or the manager goes options and possibilities then dear Lord please send the French guy home.

None of the players are going to stay just because Puel leaves do you really think Bertrand is going to turn down Man City just because we sack Puel...not a chance.

Adam Blackmore interviewed Bertrand recently and he stated that he's happy here, so I don't know where this has come from. Perhaps the rumours of player unrest with the management include RB.

Roll-back to Adam interviewing Chamberlain after promotion & Lallana before he f*cked off to Liverpool.

1st rule of summer transfer business - Everybody lies to start with!

Adam Blackmore interviewed Bertrand recently and he stated that he's happy here, so I don't know where this has come from. Perhaps the rumours of player unrest with the management include RB.

I'm happy enough in my current job.

If our competitor offered me three times my wage I would go.

You don't often hear a player saying he is unhappy mid-season. Not unless you are intentionally engineering your exit.

I'm happy enough in my current job.

If our competitor offered me three times my wage I would go.

I understand that but Ryan has already been at a 'big' club and he was never really first choice there. He's one of the first names on the team sheet with us. I for one hope we can hang onto him!

I understand that but Ryan has already been at a 'big' club and he was never really first choice there. He's one of the first names on the team sheet with us. I for one hope we can hang onto him!

Chances of him staying around 1/10 I'd say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roll-back to Adam interviewing Chamberlain after promotion & Lallana before he f*cked off to Liverpool.

1st rule of summer transfer business - Everybody lies to start with!

That Lallana interview is still a classic. Shows how cynical and bland football has become that it was actually pretty transparent.

If this is true then it signals our intentions this summer. Preparing for a dogfight next season!

A squad that clearly needs major surgery if we want to get nearer to the top six and overtake Everton and ,allegedly, the first thing we are going to do is replace Bertrand with Matt Targett :mcinnes:

He's always had a face like a smacked arse

If you believe anything like that said in an interview, you are very naive.

Ryan has been very unhappy for some time (this season, especially since EL exit). He will go.

Looks likely it'll be to City or Liverpool, but if Chelsea do come in then he will go there.

If Bertrand left, not replacing him would be quite frankly ludicrous.

McQueen has been promising but also quite green at times.

Targett has played quite a number of games now and clearly hasn't got that extra yard of pace you need at PL level. He is hesitant in attack and poor one v one defensively.

Really hope this is bull****.

I would love Bertrand to stay. But I wouldn't begrudge him a move because he has done three seasons, which is a reasonable tour of duty. And it must be gutting for him to know that despite being the best english LB his international place is in doubt simply because he plays for us. In just the same way that Johnoson was getting in ahead of Clyne when he was here.

If Puel does go perhaps the club will hold off on sales until the new man comes in, giving him a chance to have a word with Bertrand. Also, by then we may get an idea of the market value for an England fullback assuming Spurs let Walker go. Press speculation had Levy asking 40M for him with City interested.

If Puel does go perhaps the club will hold off on sales until the new man comes in, giving him a chance to have a word with Bertrand. Also, by then we may get an idea of the market value for an England fullback assuming Spurs let Walker go. Press speculation had Levy asking 40M for him with City interested.

No chance.