Ryan Bertrand

SO16_Saint

If you believe anything like that said in an interview, you are very naive.

Ryan has been very unhappy for some time (this season, especially since EL exit). He will go.

Looks likely it'll be to City or Liverpool, but if Chelsea do come in then he will go there.

May I ask what this is based on, do you know him personally?

Why is it likely that he will go to City or Liverpool, what is this assertion based on?

The content strikes me as an opinion but is written as fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like to think Bertrand wouldn't go. For his sake as well as ours. He works well with Redmond and at another club I fear he will just fade into the background a bit like he did at Chelsea. More of a disaster for him than us on balance as we do have mcQueen and Targett in the wings.

I would love Bertrand to stay. But I wouldn't begrudge him a move because he has done three seasons, which is a reasonable tour of duty. And it must be gutting for him to know that despite being the best english LB his international place is in doubt simply because he plays for us. In just the same way that Johnoson was getting in ahead of Clyne when he was here.

Two points - is he REALLY the best English Left back - there is serious competition for that role. Secondly - I don't get the impression that Southgate is overly concerned with who a player plays for if they are good enough.

Edited by St_Tel49

Two points - is he REALLY the best English Left back - there is serious competition for that role. Secondly - I don't get the impression that Southgate is overly concerned with who a player plays for if they are good enough.

It's not that playing for a club like Saints will stop you getting in the England squad. Is more that playing for a big 6 club will guarantee your place in the squad, no matter how poorly you perform.

May I ask what this is based on, do you know him personally?

Why is it likely that he will go to City or Liverpool, what is this assertion based on?

The content strikes me as an opinion but is written as fact.

That sums up 95% of the posts on this forum imo.

That sums up 95% of the posts on this forum imo.

Exactly.

Not taking particular issue with this post but as you say there are so many similar on this site. The poster I questioned seems one of the worst culprits.

Some are even stating as fact what is going to happen in the future!

Would be a real shame to see Bertrand go, but being objective and with the way that we run, it's probably 'his turn' as bad as it is to think that way. He's been a consistent top performer since he got here and would be approaching his 4th season now which is unusual for a good player of ours. Having said that, as far as i'm aware he never moved from his home when he left Chelsea and appears very family orientated, not sure how desperate he'd be to move up north to City or Liverpool, even if the money is a bit better. Can see Chelsea sniffing around and if that's the case i'd be shocked if he didn't go.

Totally understand if Bertrand is ready to go. He deserves far better than having to work with a 'manager' like Puel. Just a shame the board made such an epic failure in appointing an incompetent to the most important role in the club. VVD, Bertie, Gabbi, Austin, Cedric, Romeu and Tadic will all be looking to escape this mess and you cannot blame them for a second.

Totally understand if Bertrand is ready to go. He deserves far better than having to work with a 'manager' like Puel. Just a shame the board made such an epic failure in appointing an incompetent to the most important role in the club. VVD, Bertie, Gabbi, Austin, Cedric, Romeu and Tadic will all be looking to escape this mess and you cannot blame them for a second.

Bloody hell. Have a good day, sounds like you need one.

Keep away from those sharp objects, yeah?

Did I miss us being relegated?

I was pretty sure we finished 8th, and reached a cup final, despite Puel not being given adequate tools to work with (i.e. not replacing Pelle or Mane in the summer; major summer signing being unavailable for half the season; the CB fiasco; etc.)

As for Bertrand definitely going/being talked into staying - this thread was started less than a year ago when he signed 5 year contract. He has more than 4 years remaining of that. The club hold the cards, not Bertrand.

That said, if City are definitely interested and want to pay us what they payed Everton for Stones (or close to it) we could use said money to bring Shaw back from United and still have change.

Targett isn't Bertrand yet. If given the time to develop in this position, then who knows? Perhaps he will be better?

Nah, he lacks the yard or two of pace to be that sort of threat in my opinion. His delivery is also pretty garbage. Don't get me wrong, he's a reasonable player and more than good enough to come in and offer competition and cover, but there is no way he should be our first choice if our aspirations are to do anything other than tread water. (and struggle)

I think Stephens is as good , if not better, than Fonte has been over the past few seasons. VVD and Toby covered him very well.

Let's not re-write history here. When Lovren/Toby left, they were only decent because Fonte carried them etc etc. Now Fonte's left, he was only decent because VVD/Toby carried him etc etc.

He is better than Stephens, he's a Euro winner and was a huge, huge part of our success over the last 3 seasons. It's folly to write him off. The club still failed in the January window to address that.

It's good that Stephens got his chance and I'm more than happy with him, but I don't think it should have happened like that.

Nah, he lacks the yard or two of pace to be that sort of threat in my opinion. His delivery is also pretty garbage. Don't get me wrong, he's a reasonable player and more than good enough to come in and offer competition and cover, but there is no way he should be our first choice if our aspirations are to do anything other than tread water. (and struggle)

Agreed. As much as Targett looked promising when he first came into the team, his lack of pace was exposed pretty early and as a full back it's quite an important attribute, both defensively and going forward. I'd actually be more open to the idea of McQueen developing into a potential replacement (though still wary), as he has a bit more about him going forward without being a liability at the back.

So what do people think of Jack Stephens? Would anybody have entertained him replacing Fonte?

Targett isn't Bertrand yet. If given the time to develop in this position, then who knows? Perhaps he will be better?

I've seen enough of Targett to know he isn't quick enough or good enough for a team aiming at the top half of PL. I've also seen enough of Stephens to know he is good enough. McQueen looked a better player than Targett after only a few games.

I've seen enough of Targett to know he isn't quick enough or good enough for a team aiming at the top half of PL. I've also seen enough of Stephens to know he is good enough. McQueen looked a better player than Targett after only a few games.

Thought Targett had a very good game against Man U.

Great running down the flank and defended well. After so long out he was bang on the money. Think there is a solid PL in there.

Great running down the flank and defended well. After so long out he was bang on the money. Think there is a solid PL in there.

Bertrand wasn't Bertrand until we bought him.

He was a bit part player who was on loan at a **** villa team before us

I remember my girlfriend and her mum, both big Villa fans, laughing at us signing him. Couldn't understand us at the time trading the best young LB in the league for him.

Agree with this - considering how long he had been out for, I thought he looked extremely assured. Admittedly his final balls needs a fair bit of work, but I think he's a lot better than people are saying. That's not to say it wouldn't be a downgrade if we sold Bertrand and Targett was first choice.

I like to think Bertrand wouldn't go. For his sake as well as ours. He works well with Redmond and at another club I fear he will just fade into the background a bit like he did at Chelsea. More of a disaster for him than us on balance as we do have mcQueen and Targett in the wings.

I'm pretty sure the rest of the footballing world considers that he's just faded into the background by playing for us

When he stood in last season when Bertrand was injured, quick pacy forwards/wing backs had him on toast. He doesn't have the pace to be a decent pl quality left back.

He did look much more at home playing as a left midfielder, and delivered a decent cross.

Man U played very defensively and didn't really try and get down our flanks, so he didn't get tested really.

I would be pretty miffed if Bertrand was sold and we didn't replace him. Better still, we keep him ;)

So here starts the quiet summer LR wants. Business model, quality recruitment etc etc etc. All very sensible, but it doesn't half get on my tits every single time the better players go, especially to the likes of them.

This is how we generate ££ for signings though. I'm not sure we sign players without selling.

I'm fine with it, but we just look like plebs every summer saying we won't sell :)

This is how we generate ££ for signings though. I'm not sure we sign players without selling.

I'm fine with it, but we just look like plebs every summer saying we won't sell :)

I agree. I'm not convinced we would ever spend more than we receive. Club is ambitious though apparently lol

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

we generate ££ for signings...to replace the players we let go ffs

just dont let so many go ffs