All kicking off in Turkey

Batman

The current secular regime is only in power wit the tacit agreement of the Military; this may just be a reminder from a few disgruntled right wing generals that the Government is moving away from 1923 and more toward Islam.

For most people yes, unfortunately you are going to have to pay in dodgy sterling so suck it up, Morecambe and Margate are likely to be cheaper (and safer) than Marmaris for the foreseeable.

Isn't Margate pretty much ISIS territory? Actual come to think of it that was MAidstone. Can relax and eat me cockles

Sounds like the secular military are trying to overthrow the Islamist government. Bet that's got you all confused...

I'm not sure he gets how an Islamic people can have a secular government - given they're all medieval savages an all.

I'm not sure he gets how an Islamic people can have a secular government - given they're all medieval savages an all.

nothing says sophistication more than a good old military coup to over throw a democratically elected government

Erdogan is an Islamist fascist. Freedoms - personal and press - have been eroded for years under this guy. Anyone who dissents against erdogan basically gets jailed: including the military.

His policy with the Kurds, cosying up to ISIS, etc. were all driving Turkey away from the secular, inclusive ways of Ataturk.

He was moving Turkey so far away from the Ataturk model that they could easily have become another Islamic state.

Quote Erdogan : "Democracy is merely a train that we ride until we reach our goal, the mosques are our barracks, the domes our helmets, the minarets our bayonets and the faithful our soldiers." This guy is a problem but I reckon that as long he's in charge, Turkey won't be part of the EU. So I guess it's a good thing that he stays on...

NATO members - how does that work. Can you get booted out? And yes I know strategically crucial so unlikely but islamisation of education system seems very much at odds with what NATO stands for,

Good old days before social media the coup could have well been successful.

Erdogan now 'purging' the country of anyone holding a differing ideology it would seem. Teachers, university deans, preachers, military leaders. This'll end well.

Terrible for Turkey: A dictatorship and police state, foreign investment will dry up (although I expect some very good arms deals may be negotiated).

Potentially Good for the Rest of Europe: Zero chance of Turkey joining the EU now, and a buffer zone between continental Europe and the Middle East.

Terrible for Turkey: A dictatorship and police state, foreign investment will dry up (although I expect some very good arms deals may be negotiated).

Potentially Good for the Rest of Europe: Zero chance of Turkey joining the EU now, and a buffer zone between continental Europe and the Middle East.

Potentially bad for the EU...a new exode of Turks fleeing the oppression there. Still at least they might be westernised Turks and not those drawn to more islamism.