Shane Long signs new 4 year deal

Batman

Excellent news. He improved markedly over the second half of last season.

With Pelle gone he will be a very important player for us this season. I just hope he will be working on his finishing over the summer, because he still fluffs far too many easy chances for my liking.

And another one tied down. Good efforts this summer to get all our guys tied down. Think that keeps him here till 2020? (he'll be well in his 30's by then)

2016 plus 4 = 2020.....well done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why can't bumbling useless Les Reed ever persuade any player ever to stay ever.
why use this to try and be a smart arse? Was there ever an offer for long? I don't think Reed's ability to tie players down to long term contracts was ever in question. I seem to remember lallana signing one a few months before we sold him

We are getting very good at inserting buyout clauses in exchange for players signing extensions. Sorry. Did I say that out loud? Good news. Love Shane

We are getting very good at inserting buyout clauses in exchange for players signing extensions. Sorry. Did I say that out loud? Good news. Love Shane

Nothing wrong with that tactic.

Edit: provided the fees are exorbitant, obviously!

I think some of the sarcastic comments are over the top. Great news given our striker situation but let's not pretend he is anything other than an honest hard working but limited striker (who has never scored as many in a prem season as the much fun down Pelle). We're not going to finish in a Euro place if he is our main striker. Great to get him committed but we need much more if we are not to go backwards.

Fonte needs one. I can see him being a good top player until he's 35 like Terry. He reads the game very well and is in excellent condition, so why not.

Will be delighted if Tadic signs a deal soon, think he's really underrated by many on here. Don't think I've seen a Saints player create so many chances in the top flight since Le Tiss.

I think we should at least wait for some evidence of that before we give him a new deal. I'd wait till he has 6 months left and if he is still playing well, give him a 1 year extension. No big clubs are going to come in and steal him, so there's no rush at all.

Tadic I agree with. He's the one player I feel, no matter how sh*te we might be playing, can put in that one decent delivery that could earn us a last minute point, or even win.

Excellent news. He improved markedly over the second half of last season.

With Pelle gone he will be a very important player for us this season. I just hope he will be working on his finishing over the summer, because he still fluffs far too many easy chances for my liking.

Not sure he actually did 'improve' He was just given a chance in a team playing football instead of hoofing it to Pelle. Shane was already decent...

The importance of this initiative by the club to give key players these extended contracts can't be under-estimated. The core of the team is being settled for the next several seasons and as a strategy to combat the loss of players this is extremely important. For Long to be added to the list is great for him and also for the club.

Not sure he actually did 'improve' He was just given a chance in a team playing football instead of hoofing it to Pelle. Shane was already decent...

Not sure we actually played anymore football. We just played a different type of direct football. We still got the ball forward early but tried to stretch the opposition with movement down the channels and in behind.

Not sure we actually played anymore football. We just played a different type of direct football. We still got the ball forward early but tried to stretch the opposition with movement down the channels and in behind.

Thank you for elaborating.....

The point is Shane was already a very good player ....

Great news . Reeds played a blinder this summer if you ask me . Davis , Long and RB tied down is pretty decent business and gives the club some protection as well . It'll take stupid money to get these players out now . Add to that VvD & FF , 5 key players have extended recently . Well done Les .

I can't help thinking that by not being total twts when big clubs come calling we've got the reputation as being pretty fair with the players . Had we made Morgan , Vic & Mane see out their contracts and not move to bigger clubs , would these guys have signed extensions . If Shane does a Vardy and knocks in 25 goals this season, he knows that provided nobody takes the mick , he'll get a move to a Chelsea or Arsenal . If we had a reputation for playing hardball and keeping players to contracts , he may have thought he'd see how this year goes . There's a fine line between letting yourself get mugged every season and being seen a good club to play for but doesn't Fock you over when the big boys come calling . I think Les is pretty much on the right side of the line . The guys who've extended all seem decent blokes and exemplary pros who can set a great example to the youngsters.

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

These extensions are good news. Tie down the talent you have and keep the club stable. It's good news for Shane he has been unappreciated by the clubs (and fans) he's played for and it's good to see him so at ease. He has secured his family 's future with that contract which for footballers of his age is vital. Like Davis he is a consummate pro who is a role model for the youngsters coming through.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk