We will struggle this season

beowulf

Not enough quality depth in the squad for my liking.

Of our 3 first choice strikers,2 have serious injury histories.

Redmond looks good and the Danish lad might be, but is that going to be our only incoming?

With the money that must be available are we going to have to wait for a 'panic transfer window' come January?

Very sad to see Sammy Lee go.

We seem to want to continue our good fortune on a shoestring, we will be lucky if we do.

Redmond looks good and the Danish lad might be, but is that going to be our only incoming?

With the money that must be available are we going to have to wait for a 'panic transfer window' come January?

We seem to want to continue our good fortune on a shoestring, we will be lucky if we do.

Have to say i agree. At the moment the squad looks lightweight on quality in certain areas and not enough for Europe, league and cups........but hopefully by the time the window ends we will have got a few more in.

oh ****! pretty annoyed i renewed now. oh well, thanks for the heads up anyway

and i also appreciate you starting a new thread on this. a little surprised people deciding we've had a poor windows before even the end of july hasnt been touched on before now

Hard to disagree with this.

oh ****! pretty annoyed i renewed now. oh well, thanks for the heads up anyway

and i also appreciate you starting a new thread on this. a little surprised people deciding we've had a poor windows before even the end of july hasnt been touched on before now

:lol:

1000% agree. I fully expect FF to get injured, VVD to go to Everton, Cedric to Barcelona, Cuco to Everton (why else would we be looking at RBs?). Fonte is too old, Yoshida is awful, targett is woeful and already shown he is not up to it. We lost wanyama - the liverpool game last season showed how important he was, and replaced him with some dane no-one had ever heard of. Ward-prowse is utter ****e, davis is a water-carrier, Tadic is unsettled and will probably get into a fight with Puel and we'll see his resale value plummet in the reserves. I think it will be too late to fix in January, we need to do something now or we can expect to be bottom of the table come the end of the season. and we have to do it wearing bras at St Marys.

Puel won't make it to November. probably be replaced by some other foreign nobody that nobody has heard of but will pretend to be excited by, or Alan Shearer.

Austin and Jay-rod will get injured for most of the season. Long will be off in January. We'll probably end up with Gallacher and Monkou up front.

I'm not going to bother going this season.:x:x:x:x:

I think we are in for a hard season. Hopefully there are three worse teams than us. I would settle for 15th this year.

Not enough quality depth in the squad for my liking.- has the transfer window shut?

Of our 3 first choice strikers,2 have serious injury histories. - has the transfer window shut?

Redmond looks good and the Danish lad might be, but is that going to be our only incoming? i doubt it.

With the money that must be available are we going to have to wait for a 'panic transfer window' come January? - i doubt it

Very sad to see Sammy Lee go. - why? what did he do that impressed you so much?

We seem to want to continue our good fortune on a shoestring, we will be lucky if we do. - haven't we spent 22m on two players so far and tied down several key players to long contracts?

I think your sheets might need changing.

Maybe we will struggle this season. It's anyone's guess. On a brighter note, we have been putting a lot of concrete in our foundations over the last few months by sorting out some very important long term contracts meaning we keep some key players or make an absolute bundle out of them.......A few smart signings on top of that and we will be well set up for the following season if not the coming one.

Of course I am hopeful for the coming season, but more importantly, I am confident of the more distant future.

I think we are in for a hard season. Hopefully there are three worse teams than us. I would settle for 15th this year.

Can you point to a single thread at the beginning of any season where you haven't said the same thing on this board?

You don't know if we will finish 1st or last. Nor do I anymore after Leicester's performance last season. I bet you predicted them to go down at the start of last season.

Personally I'll be extremely disappointed to not finish top half. If I was the manager I'd be aiming for top 8. I'd be aiming for the title and pushing the players to try to win it, but top 8 I could be content with if I were the manager.

I don't think we'll struggle. Both signings seem to have a lot of promise coupled with a very strong core that remains despite Mane/Vic departures.

I don't see the need to bloat the squad massively that some do but i will admit i would dearly love one more signing of another goalscoring midfielder to add to the mix personally.

You don't know if we will finish 1st or last. Nor do I anymore after Leicester's performance last season. I bet you predicted them to go down at the start of last season.

Personally I'll be extremely disappointed to not finish top half. If I was the manager I'd be aiming for top 8. I'd be aiming for the title and pushing the players to try to win it, but top 8 I could be content with if I were the manager.

There's no doubt about it, we've peaked. The only way is down, just like the last half dozen seasons. No way can we match that progress.

Except that we seem to keep doing it.

oh look, another thread for all the pathetic bed-wetters to let their irrational fears out of their tiny brains.

I think that if we sold Pelle, Wanyama, and Mane on Day 1 of the transfer window and then bought Redmond, Hojbjerg, a CB, a RB, a GK, an AM a DM, a Winger, and a Striker on Day 2.............you'd all still moan and panic!!!!!!!!

oh look, another thread for all the pathetic bed-wetters to let their irrational fears out of their tiny brains.

I think that if we sold Pelle, Wanyama, and Mane on Day 1 of the transfer window and then bought Redmond, Hojbjerg, a CB, a RB, a GK, an AM a DM, a Winger, and a Striker on Day 2.............you'd all still moan and panic!!!!!!!!

I am not sure we have ever had or have plans to buy that many at anytime during this window?

Personally I think the last few years has raised expectations, however we were never going to maintain that position. We are a mid table club at best but our fans are struggling to understand that as we have a lot of money incoming why that isn't invested in the squad in areas which obviously need strengthening.

If that money had been invested in those areas already I do not think, alternatively to your suggestion, many would be worrying or moaning about the squad.

We will wait and see!

Personally I think we will finish around mid point give or take a couple of positions which is about right whether we buy more or not!

NEWS FLASH!search?q=NEWS+FLASH&espv=2&biw=1242&bih=585&tbm=isch&imgil=hI_YbzapIy5IZM%253A%253BfGheXJ-bjtUyeM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.123rf.com%25252Fstock-photo%25252Fnews_flash.html&source=iu&pf=m&fir=hI_YbzapIy5IZM%253A%252CfGheXJ-bjtUyeM%252C_&usg=__SBqK1JiiXLpWas8DqbJKvZEa2qY%3D&ved=0ahUKEwikjLrFt5HOAhVIB8AKHaT6B28QyjcILg&ei=P4CXV-TwNMiOgAak9Z_4Bg#imgrc=hI_YbzapIy5IZM%3A

The transfer window has over 5 weeks to go and the majority of the premier league teams transfers will be in this time!

#WeMeltOn

I agree we can use another striker, 3 isn't likely enough for all the games we will have. However the mantra that Austin is injury prone is wrong. He was dinged up 4.5the 2nd half of last year, but the previous 4.5 seasons he played almost all the matches. He also played well last year before he got hurt, I think it was something like 10 goals in 12 matches for QPR. JRod is a little different story, his injury was more serious. Another striker would give us the depth we need, unless of course Puel considers Redmond to be a guy who can also play up front (like Mane). This may be the case, which would explain why he may not feel we need another upfront player.

Really looking forward to this season!! Our squad is full of players who want to play for Southampton. We have a team spirit second to no other team. We have a great manager and a fantastically well run club and what's more we believe in giving our youth a chance rather than throwing millions of pounds on average players.nwe do it the 'Southampton Way' and I'm proud of my team!

I know we can't compete with the Yanks, Chinese and Thais for the really big bucks but wouldn't it be

a shot in the arm for us fans if for once, just once, our club told the cherry pickers to **** off when they come

calling for our best talent season after season.

Leicester have shown how it's done with Vardy and now Chilwell.

I can't blame anyone for having a sense of doom and gloom this season.

I am not sure we have ever had or have plans to buy that many at anytime during this window?

Personally I think the last few years has raised expectations, however we were never going to maintain that position. We are a mid table club at best but our fans are struggling to understand that as we have a lot of money incoming why that isn't invested in the squad in areas which obviously need strengthening.

If that money had been invested in those areas already I do not think, alternatively to your suggestion, many would be worrying or moaning about the squad.

We will wait and see!

Personally I think we will finish around mid point give or take a couple of positions which is about right whether we buy more or not!

I never said we did.

Your post suggests to me that you are very content with mediocrity. Those of you who "set" the limit of Saints in your head make me wonder why you are interested in SPORT. You are probably someone who much prefers ENTERTAINMENT of any nature where you are pretty much assured of the outcome before you attend.

For me, following any sport and in particular football and Saints it is about the unknown. It is about coaching, hard-work, dedication, the will to win and the determination to defy the odds which attracts. However you judge a big club or a bigger club versus a smaller club we will never be the biggest but that makes supporting Saints even more exciting. If we always finished according to your tag of "mid-table club" what would be the point? Oh yes, you would be ENTERTAINED. I would be bored. Where is the challenge, where is the excitement, where is the adrenaline rush of coming from 2 down to beat Liverpool for example? I imagine you would of be entertained had we lost 2-1 and gone home happy....or turned the TV off happy.

It is clear though that we still need 2-3 decent players which we should expect as the people in charge of our club "get" the SPORTING aspect of football far better than the vast majority of our fans! I have no wish to be ENTERTAINED at Saints games!!

We might struggle, we might not. It'll be down to how many injuries and suspensions we get and when they happen, because the squad is decent enough to be nowhere near the bottom half without a streak on unavailable players.

Leicester have shown how it's done with Vardy and now Chilwell.

And Mahrez and Kante. Don't forget how they definitely didn't want to leave the Champions, who have Champions League matches this season, let's not forget.

We won't pay unsustainable money, other clubs will, and you should probably get used to it.

There would be a thread about us "not buying anyone" by June.

I hope so I could do with a cheaper ST in the Championship again......

That's the spirit look on the bright side. You never know we might even win the Championship next time we are in it. Southampton have never won a league in my life time. After all it is all about winning silverware, rather than just making up the numbers. The OP was after all only expressing his opinion on a discussion board.

I never said we did.

Your post suggests to me that you are very content with mediocrity. Those of you who "set" the limit of Saints in your head make me wonder why you are interested in SPORT. You are probably someone who much prefers ENTERTAINMENT of any nature where you are pretty much assured of the outcome before you attend.

For me, following any sport and in particular football and Saints it is about the unknown. It is about coaching, hard-work, dedication, the will to win and the determination to defy the odds which attracts. However you judge a big club or a bigger club versus a smaller club we will never be the biggest but that makes supporting Saints even more exciting. If we always finished according to your tag of "mid-table club" what would be the point? Oh yes, you would be ENTERTAINED. I would be bored. Where is the challenge, where is the excitement, where is the adrenaline rush of coming from 2 down to beat Liverpool for example? I imagine you would of be entertained had we lost 2-1 and gone home happy....or turned the TV off happy.

It is clear though that we still need 2-3 decent players which we should expect as the people in charge of our club "get" the SPORTING aspect of football far better than the vast majority of our fans! I have no wish to be ENTERTAINED at Saints games!!

You must have loved the Branfoot era..we were never entertained then!

I never said we did.

Not sure what your point is? We haven't won anything of note in 40 years? In fact Leciester , who many would have thought were about our size, have won loads more during that time even before the title win last year. Do you honestly think we will be challenging for top 4? Do you really think we will be in the last 4 of the Europa league?

As you bring it up..Is beating Liverpool from behind once good enough for you? I think we have only beat them twice since we have been promoted?

over a period of 5 to 10 years the clubs which spend the most will have a higher average league position guaranteed..sport,as in the original concept where everyone is equal, is long dead!