We will struggle this season

beowulf

I've just sent an email to some of the technicians at Chernobyl to find what comes after a meltdown.

Apparently those downwind of the accident site can expect nausea, vomiting, breathing difficulty and skin conditions in the days following the initial discharge. Over a more prolonged period of time there is an increased risk of long term health effects, including Lukemia and several other forms of cancer. Newborns delivered in the contamination zone can also expect an increase in the number if birth defects and thyroid cancer.

In the immediate future it is advisable to evacuate the contamination area, to a radius of approximately 30km. The site of the meltdown should then be covered in sand and boron to absorb as much latent radioactive discharge as possible. In the long term a concrete sarcoughagus should be constructed over the sight and line with lead and steel. It would be advisable not to use the same guy who did the first Ted Bates statue for this.

Not enough quality depth in the squad for my liking.

Of our 3 first choice strikers,2 have serious injury histories.

Redmond looks good and the Danish lad might be, but is that going to be our only incoming?

With the money that must be available are we going to have to wait for a 'panic transfer window' come January?

Very sad to see Sammy Lee go.

We seem to want to continue our good fortune on a shoestring, we will be lucky if we do.

Stop trying to change the subject - what the **** have you done with Grendel and his Mum?

Can you point to a single thread at the beginning of any season where you haven't said the same thing on this board?

15th is more optimistic than some years.

The more I think about the prospects for saints this season, the more gloomy I get. Still, Hull will surely struggle.

Not concerned about the loss of Wanyama. I am sure he added something, but I think we have enough quality in midfield.

I am only worried about up-front. We havent replaced Pelle or Mane. Relying on Austin and J-Rod to stay fit and bang them in is suicidal.

I would say that the board are showing 'casual indifference' at the very least.

With Forster in goal and Cedric, Fonte, VVD, Bertrand as our defensive four we'll be fine. Yes, we likely need more firepower up front. But even with no further additions this is a Top 10 club.

If everyone on this thread were politicians, my vote would be with Saint Tex. Echoes my thoughts exactly.

If we only sign an attacking midfielder and a back up keeper, I'll be perfectly happy. I think we will too.

There is a serious lack of chill going on here...

I have my concerns but we have to wait and see who we still get in

Even that won't tell us much. We could sign Messi and Ronaldo but if they don't buy into theSouthampton Way or the coach turns out to be crap then we are still stuffed. Likewise we could go with what we have, find Puel is a decent coach, JRod and Austin are on fire and Gallagher, Reed and McQueen step up to the first team with great success. We'll know by October (cue - ah but then it'll be too late.... ....we're all doomed i tell you....)

The biggest threat to our season IMHO is the Europa league. Playing Thursday then Sunday for a number of weeks has taken it's toll on many clubs in the past (Wigan, Birmingham, Swansea, Everton etc..) but whatever happens I'm still pretty confident that we can end up above the likes of Burnley, Middlesbrough, Hull, Watford, WBA, Bournemouth and Swansea !

I'm also fairly sure that we will add one or two quality signings before the start of the season to add to what we've got so am not overly concerned !

Any good cup run, coupled with a top half league finish would not be a bad return for me !

I know we can't compete with the Yanks, Chinese and Thais for the really big bucks but wouldn't it be

a shot in the arm for us fans if for once, just once, our club told the cherry pickers to **** off when they come

calling for our best talent season after season.

Leicester have shown how it's done with Vardy and now Chilwell.

But they haven't been able to hang onto Kante & Mahrez have they.

Stop trying to change the subject - what the **** have you done with Grendel and his Mum?

I've got Grendel under control but I will release him if we don't strengthen the team, as for his mum,don't dare mess with her......

With Forster in goal and Cedric, Fonte, VVD, Bertrand as our defensive four we'll be fine. Yes, we likely need more firepower up front. But even with no further additions this is a Top 10 club.

If we draw every match 0-0 our points haul will be 38, less than the target 40 that usually signals safety.

If only Beowulf had applied for the manager's job, or even Director of Football. Instead we have people running the team who don't have the faintest idea of what they are doing.

How do you know I didn't apply for the managers job?

I would like to see another striker but that said I like the look of the young Nigerian lad. We have a crop of youngsters in and around the JWP age group which its now make or break for surely. I'm exited for the new season as we have a solid back line, a team that listens and is already looking like they are working hard to the plan. What better way then to see if some of these youngsters can hack it? If the teams solid and everyone knows what they are doing, then I personally want to see more of our own given a real go. Maybe at the cost of a few places in the league or then maybe not...so what. 5th, 6th or 15th I couldn't careless as I still dream of winning eveything and anything less is a disappointment.

Not concerned about the loss of Wanyama. I am sure he added something, but I think we have enough quality in midfield.

I am only worried about up-front. We havent replaced Pelle or Mane. Relying on Austin and J-Rod to stay fit and bang them in is suicidal.

**Rushes off to back Charlie Austin (Pelle's replacement) to be top scoring Englishman

Summer isn't over yet though is it. We'll see where we stand at the start of the season and two weeks beyond.

I think everyone is assuming our three nice days last week were summer, but you are correct. I suggest everybody go to the Pre-season and Europa cup threads: less existensialist angst.

The spread on our points total for this season is currently 51-52.5

Last season it was 55-56.5 so the betting market has us 4 points worse off than they had just before last season and 11 points worse than where we actually finished.

To be honest, with a load of Thursday night fixtures to handle and a squad that doesn´t look especially deep, i would be reasonably happy with 51 points.

The teams which really tend to struggle are the ones that come up or the ones that have to integrate 5 new first team players into the squad.

Leicester went on a great run at the start of the season, well whole season, due to them finishing the season well and basically keeping the whole squad.

We basically have the same team only Mane is really missing and we ended the season well, so i think these hard first 4/5 games are coming at he best time as all those teams are either integrating a lot of players or have no defenders (Arsenal).

The spread on our points total for this season is currently 51-52.5

Last season it was 55-56.5 so the betting market has us 4 points worse off than they had just before last season and 11 points worse than where we actually finished.

To be honest, with a load of Thursday night fixtures to handle and a squad that doesn´t look especially deep, i would be reasonably happy with 51 points.

And a cup final! Preferably Europa League, FA Cup, League Cup, JPT in that order.

(Can't believe I even typed JPT!!)

But they haven't been able to hang onto Kante & Mahrez have they.

Remind me who has signed Mahrez ?

My point is when Arsenal and Lpool et al come knocking our players can't wait to pack their bags.

Good for Leicester for hanging on to Vardy and Chilwell.

Remind me who has signed Mahrez ?

My point is when Arsenal and Lpool et al come knocking our players can't wait to pack their bags.

Good for Leicester for hanging on to Vardy and Chilwell.

What part of "Vardy CHOSE to stay" don't you understand?

Will only worry if we don't actually replace Mane and Wanyama.. surely it won't be Redmond and Romeu filling in.

I am surprised that fans seem to be expecting a lot from Rodriguez this season, he has looked awful since he's come back from injury.

Why do people think we've not replaced Wanyama?

We signed Hojberg, he fills Wanyama's space in the team.

Why do people think we've not replaced Wanyama?

We signed Hojberg, he fills Wanyama's space in the team.

It's quite difficult to imagine though, don't you think? .they seem, IMO only, slightly different types of player so you might be able to understand why people may say he is not replacing Wanyama?

It feels like it will be a slightly different set up, what with a new manager and all, so he may replace Wanyama directly in the team but as the formation will be different..it's still not like for like?

And a cup final! Preferably Europa League, FA Cup, League Cup, JPT in that order.

(Can't believe I even typed JPT!!)

Sorry for me it's got to be FA cup, Europa league, League cup, JPT surely? It may be a traditional point of view but the FA cup is still the one to be at?

Sorry for me it's got to be FA cup, Europa league, League cup, JPT surely? It may be a traditional point of view but the FA cup is still the one to be at?

No EL is the one to be at. Not as vulgar as CL.

It's quite difficult to imagine though, don't you think? .they seem, IMO only, slightly different types of player so you might be able to understand why people may say he is not replacing Wanyama?

It feels like it will be a slightly different set up, what with a new manager and all, so he may replace Wanyama directly in the team but as the formation will be different..it's still not like for like?

Why does it have to be like for like? there is more than one way to skin a cat. Seems fans have this idea that when a player leaves you have to replace him with a clone.

Who cares? He's still been replaced. If we always have to replace a lost asset with a player of exactly the same mould, we'd never be able to change our style of play....which we seemingly have done (3 CMs).