Fonte Transfer Rumours

Master Bates

I think if Hooiveld had played as Fonte had these last 2 games, he'd have been crucified on here. A pointless comparison I know but he has hardly been the experienced Mr Reliable thus far.

Whenever Jose is being talked about off the pitch, he struggles on it. This has happened every time there is agent/transfer drama. The window will close and he'll get back to form.

Why does everyone have to be so negative about this - it's great news!

If we only get Boufal in as well it's been a good summer transfer window - another attacker to replace JRod going out on Loan i can take or leave.

It was really important for us to keep the back 5 together this summer - then the attackers we have to plug in can play with a lot more freedom knowing there is a solid defensive unit behind them.

Just as well your cavalier attitude to Jay Rod departing hasn't clouded your opinion this has been a good window. It has been bloody awful imo!

No doubting he was bad today but is anyone surprised? Came back late after the Euros, no real pre-season and off field distractions. If he stepped onto the pitch in top form after all that I'd have been very impressed indeed. He'll be back though, of that I have no doubt.

No doubting he was bad today but is anyone surprised? Came back late after the Euros, no real pre-season and off field distractions. If he stepped onto the pitch in top form after all that I'd have been very impressed indeed. He'll be back though, of that I have no doubt.

Why are people so willing to explain away things. Off field distractions? Enjoys one if the best jobs in the world and if cannot concentrate for 90 mins without thinking about which yacht he may purchase instead of tracking Defoe. Yeah who can blame him. Mentally weak.

Ah diddums. Multi millionaire footballer distracted because he is not happy with his £30,000 a week pay rise on offer

Why are people so willing to explain away things. Off field distractions? Enjoys one if the best jobs in the world and if cannot concentrate for 90 mins without thinking about which yacht he may purchase instead of tracking Defoe. Yeah who can blame him. Mentally weak.

It always happens with Fonte. If Yoshida had put that performance in this place would be calling for blood.

Strikes me that Jose has lost a lot of respect of fans due to his stalling to stay

The club must also take ALOT of blame, they have played their side in the media and failed to convince Fonte to sign a new contract

The "Southampton way" also hasn't helped - he's our captain, he is 32 (nearly 33) one of our longest serving players and a regular starter. Put all this together and normally fans would have confidence to say "he's going nowhere"

But we are Southampton and we are a selling club. It was completely feasible the Fonte could be sold by our club and rather than question the club people are simply blaming Fonte!!!

The club must also take ALOT of blame, they have played their side in the media and failed to convince Fonte to sign a new contract

The "Southampton way" also hasn't helped - he's our captain, he is 32 (nearly 33) one of our longest serving players and a regular starter. Put all this together and normally fans would have confidence to say "he's going nowhere"

But we are Southampton and we are a selling club. It was completely feasible the Fonte could be sold by our club and rather than question the club people are simply blaming Fonte!!!

How are we a selling club if we offer him an improved deal straight after a recent new deal. Clearly the club intention is to keep him. Fonte used media to make noises about being interested. Club has done nothing wrong but you as always won't resist a chance to have a pop. So fcking tiresome.

I really don't blame Fonte these last few weeks.

He has seen so many players leave for much bigger wages and he has stayed to keep things together for us.

This season we have yet another new manager and I'm beginning to think Fonte should of been allowed to leave as a final cameo to win more trophies.

Perfectly feasible that he is pssed off for entirely the opposite reason. The club have done a brilliant job in retaining our critical back line with ambitious, lengthy lucrative fat contracts for all of them, but Jose got his extension all of six months previously and maybe feels like he miss timed his commitment.

So he's probably upset that he feels a little bit left behind in the avalanche of generous contract extensions for the backbone of the team. Looks like we have probably sorted it now.

I wonder if there is any level of pay which might trigger fans to start thinking that enough is enough?

If the time comes when Saints players are getting not £70k, but rather £700k a week, would it still be okay if they were to demand even more just in order to match what someone else is getting? What is the point of any game when so may ordinary fans are effectively priced-out by greed?

It is absurd that any player should think that they are somehow undervalued or poorly paid when in reality they are receiving a pile of cash every week that many of us would take a number of YEARS to earn. And yet that inherent absurdity has become so accepted now that it hardly seems worthy of comment anymore.

Edited by CHAPEL END CHARLIE

Beefy on Not 606 (who is acknowledged to be ITK) has posted this (with regard to selling players)

"Chambers: asked to go and wouldn't take no for a answer, so we had to sell.

Clyne: wouldn't sign a new deal. Made up he wanted to stay and was only on £10k a week here and we wouldn't up it so went to Liverpool on £25k a week... ( I can't remember if that is right amount, will have to ask his trainer again. But he was bull****ting about being on very low wages for a Prem player. Then said the club wouldn't didn't want him, so signed for Liverpool for low wages as well).

Mane: Would never had came here if he knew we wouldn't sell him on.

Shaw: Could have gone before he actually even played a first team game. But Cortese got him to sign a deal and stay a year, so the club got a lot of money.

Lallana: well...

Lovren: Burnt his bridges and was a total **** head behind the scenes. He had to be sold as he was causing too many problems.

Morgan: would have had a meltdown about not being allowed to leave. But got calmed down and stayed one more season.

Wanyama: Has probably the dodgiest agent in footy. He kept playing the club looking interested in signing a new deal until he knew he had other interest.

It's ok to say the club could have done it differently. But then you are forgetting the player factor completely. You can't have one without the other."

and then he posted this

"Chambers: has a agent and that agent has a team helping him out. You have to remember when dealing with a player you aren't dealing with just one person.

Clyne: he was quite clearly bull****ting and wanted to leave.

Mane: Listen to his first interview or all the quotes in the papers. Mane and his agent quite clearly saw us as a stepping stone."

Edited by Pengi

Strikes me that way too. I think the popular idea of Jose as the loyal Captain Courageous has been damaged by the drawn out saga of contract negotiations and transfers talk. Let's be honest, he was five minutes away from being included in "Defectors watch" after being looked upon as close to a spot on the banner with Sir Ricky and co.

How are we a selling club if we offer him an improved deal straight after a recent new deal. Clearly the club intention is to keep him. Fonte used media to make noises about being interested. Club has done nothing wrong but you as always won't resist a chance to have a pop. So fcking tiresome.

Personally disagree with you opinion there is something a miss at Southampton fc at the moment,totally agree that some players will move on in the window but I am sure more would have stayed if the environment was healthy, every two years for some reason we lose a manager which must have a knock on effect to the players and many other clubs in PL with similar income have managed to retain the core players (appreciate can't keep everyone) but we seem to ship out more than most.May be it's time to look at the management though to the directors involved.

Beefy on Not 606 (who is acknowledged to be ITK) has posted this (with regard to selling players)

"Chambers: asked to go and wouldn't take no for a answer, so we had to sell.

Clyne: wouldn't sign a new deal. Made up he wanted to stay and was only on £10k a week here and we wouldn't up it so went to Liverpool on £25k a week... ( I can't remember if that is right amount, will have to ask his trainer again. But he was bull****ting about being on very low wages for a Prem player. Then said the club wouldn't didn't want him, so signed for Liverpool for low wages as well).

Mane: Would never had came here if he knew we wouldn't sell him on.

Shaw: Could have gone before he actually even played a first team game. But Cortese got him to sign a deal and stay a year, so the club got a lot of money.

Lallana: well...

Lovren: Burnt his bridges and was a total **** head behind the scenes. He had to be sold as he was causing too many problems.

Morgan: would have had a meltdown about not being allowed to leave. But got calmed down and stayed one more season.

Wanyama: Has probably the dodgiest agent in footy. He kept playing the club looking interested in signing a new deal until he knew he had other interest.

It's ok to say the club could have done it differently. But then you are forgetting the player factor completely. You can't have one without the other."

and then he posted this

"Chambers: has a agent and that agent has a team helping him out. You have to remember when dealing with a player you aren't dealing with just one person.

Clyne: he was quite clearly bull****ting and wanted to leave.

Mane: Listen to his first interview or all the quotes in the papers. Mane and his agent quite clearly saw us as a stepping stone."

Those figures for Clyne are rubbish. If he was on 10k a week and a wouldn't up it then it's the clubs fault as on today's figures that is a poor deal. He's on a lot more than 25k at Liverpool. This is one side of story you give. Another is saints changed the project after cortese and the initial leavers knew that our plans were going to be severely downgraded. Koeman was offered a 3 year contract on same money as year before, which was pathetic imo after the job he did. 7 million from Everton is far more than he's getting there. He was happy to sign. One year extension and do it year on year after that. Les reed told him to bugger off if he didn't sign the 3 year one.

Personally disagree with you opinion there is something a miss at Southampton fc at the moment,totally agree that some players will move on in the window but I am sure more would have stayed if the environment was healthy, every two years for some reason we lose a manager which must have a knock on effect to the players and many other clubs in PL with similar income have managed to retain the core players (appreciate can't keep everyone) but we seem to ship out more than most.May be it's time to look at the management though to the directors involved.

We are not Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool or Spurs. They have more money and whether we like it or not, bigger names with bigger histories. If they come calling players will leave. It really is that simple. Nothing to do with there being anything wrong with the environment at SFC. Even Leicester - who are current Champions - lost one of their best players to Chelsea. We are no different. Until we win something big and/or have a good few years of challenging for a champions league place behind us, players whom we develop and who become very good are going to attract the Liverpools and Utds of this world. No amount of "looking at the management through to the directors involved" is going to obscure or change that fact.

Yeah it's not the fact we will lose players that goes without saying these situations will always happen and totally accept that money is a big consideration it's to me just concerning we sell without replacements in place ,seems to me that is bad management and the % of key players we lose every season.Is that a statement of intent within its self as stated just my opinion

We are not Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool or Spurs. They have more money and whether we like it or not, bigger names with bigger histories. If they come calling players will leave. It really is that simple. Nothing to do with there being anything wrong with the environment at SFC. Even Leicester - who are current Champions - lost one of their best players to Chelsea. We are no different. Until we win something big and/or have a good few years of challenging for a champions league place behind us, players whom we develop and who become very good are going to attract the Liverpools and Utds of this world. No amount of "looking at the management through to the directors involved" is going to obscure or change that fact.

This. It really isn't rocket science.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

hearing jose has signed a new contract worth £100k per week.

If that's the case he better show he is worth it considering the faith the clubs putting in him. He played awful yesterday. Want to see him back to his best, with pride for the Saints.

Why do we need to give Fonte a massive new contract? He's got two years left on his current one FFS and he'll be in his mid 30s by the end of it. I wouldn't begrudge him being at or near the top of our earners, given the time he's been here and the fact he is a captain. He can hang around a few more years and be a club legend.

But £100k a week would be stupid and I can't see us doing that. He has no leverage and, frankly, we are being generous in offering him any sort of improved contract.

what abo0ut £70k a week? Is he worth that much?

That's the max I'd go to.

With the money in the game now it won't be long before we are paying £100k a week, but it should be reserved for players like Mane, Van Dijk, Wanyama...the top level players that big clubs will want as first choice.

Why do we need to give Fonte a massive new contract? He's got two years left on his current one FFS and he'll be in his mid 30s by the end of it. I wouldn't begrudge him being at or near the top of our earners, given the time he's been here and the fact he is a captain. He can hang around a few more years and be a club legend.

But £100k a week would be stupid and I can't see us doing that. He has no leverage and, frankly, we are being generous in offering him any sort of improved contract.

You're right of course, but we do come across as a bit of a nice club. I bet players/agents love dealing with us.

The rumour was he wasn't happy with the way we set up. It now looks as if he is playing aware of the space outside him and the lack of two defensive midfielders. He's not the quickest so probably feels vulnerable hence the VVD having to cover him. If these important players aren't happy it undermines our performance.

The rumour was he wasn't happy with the way we set up. It now looks as if he is playing aware of the space outside him and the lack of two defensive midfielders. He's not the quickest so probably feels vulnerable hence the VVD having to cover him. If these important players aren't happy it undermines our performance.

In other words he's emabarrasses he's rubbish and VvD has to cover his ass?

Agree totally. When are people going to understand that Saints are not a BIG named club and most players are going to leave at the first opportunity to chase higher wages and the kudos of playing for a BIGGER club. Sadly, the Saints are not, and are never likely to be, in that category. Most players are not a MLT! Much as he was a God at Saints, he suffered by staying, both financially and from lack of international recognition. Fans just have to suck it up! Do believe, though, that the "powers that be" should at least spend all the money that's received from the sales on replacements, otherwise it will be a downward slippery slope.

Let fonte go if he doesn't want to stay, he's been awful since he's had his head turned by united, been a great servant & played his part in the promotions but if they are willing to pay over the odds for an aging player way past his best why not let him go, with a replacement lined up first of course

That's the max I'd go to.

With the money in the game now it won't be long before we are paying £100k a week, but it should be reserved for players like Mane, Van Dijk, Wanyama...the top level players that big clubs will want as first choice.

You mean t's OK give the big money to people who don't give a monkey's toss about who they are playing for as long as it makes them rich? Something wrong with your thinking here my friend, surely you pay the big money to players who show that they care enough about their team to stay around for 7 or 8 years loyally as the club fights its way from near bankruptcy through all the lower divisions and eventually make it to the promised land of the premier league and European competition without ever thinking about leaving us in the lurch when every other mercenary bugg.er clears off at the drop of a skirt?

I really don't blame Fonte these last few weeks.

He has seen so many players leave for much bigger wages and he has stayed to keep things together for us.

This season we have yet another new manager and I'm beginning to think Fonte should of been allowed to leave as a final cameo to win more trophies.

A- Poor him

B- He has stayed as no one better at football than us has wanted him.

C- No way not this late in the window, if he wanted to move he should of asked at the end of last season.

time to ship this one out!!!

obviously has no intention of staying or signing a new contract.

we have not heard a single peep from him since he returned from the Euros

if I was Saints with him being 32 and 2 years left on his current contract I would not offer improved terms but hold his registration for the next 2 years and let him rot

I am sick and tired of losing 1st team players to bigger sides only for them to be on the bench........what a waste

and yes I do think Fonte is playing mind games with the club and its supporters and after Saturday I would drop him anyway for Yoshi