Fonte Transfer Rumours

Master Bates

Perhaps Liverpool had a buy back deal, ala Real Madrid, for Lambert? And after the Swansea signings this week who can blame Mahrez?

You might be on to something...

Seriously though, the twitter account is hilarious. I cannot believe people would fall for it. The following are all tweets from today:

Carragher: 'Crystal Palace should sell Steve Mandanda ASAP!'

Carragher: 'Manchester City should sell Samir Nasri ASAP!'

Carragher: 'Crystal Palace should sell Jason Puncheon ASAP!'

Carragher: 'Middlesbrough should sell Antonio Barragan ASAP!'

Sergio Aguero close to sealing Manchester United move.

Riyad Mahrez to club bosses: 'Let me join Newcastle.'

I wonder if Leicester fans will be on their forum worrying as "someone off twitter" said Mahrez is off to Swansea/Newcastle, just like a couple of people did over the Puel/Bertrand punch up... Also, Carragher needs to wind his neck in.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/southampton-star-says-big-club-tempting-quizzed-man-united-move-praises-mourinho/

Southampton defender José Fonte has given an interview to Sunday’s edition of O Jogo. The freshly crowned European champion, who has been linked to several clubs, has hinted that despite his happiness in Hampshire, he would fancy a move to a bigger club if he receives an offer.

When asked if he’d aspire new levels after winning the Euro title, Fonte said: “Southampton are a good club in England, where I’ve been treated very well, we have been successful. However, in football you never know what can happen and it’s obvious that if a world class club who play in the Champions League show up, it’s tempting for me. But I state it again, I’m happy where I am.”

The defender was questioned if a starter for the European champions shouldn’t have a place in a top club squad, and the reporter especially mentioned what they say were recent Manchester United recent rumours.

Fonte replied: “I can’t make statements like that. What I can say is that I strongly believe in my abilities and, through it, I think I can play in any team in the world.”

The 32-year-old also revealed that he’s already received informal offers to leave this summer: “after an European success, interested clubs always show up and there are offers. Let’s wait for the next few weeks… There are several interested sides, but for this to materialise it, it’s something else. Then there are other details: you need to understand if the club wants to sell me, if they are available to let me go. Let’s see what happens.”

It's not surprising that he's become more ambitious after winning a major tournament and getting interest from big clubs. He's 32 and moving could mean he wins something big in his club career. Whilst I would be very upset at him leaving I feel no bad feeling towards him if he goes. The guy just wants to hit the top and it's unlikely to happen at Saints.

I hate that reporters ask these leading questions, Fonte handled it well but yes this will be put in every tabloid as a come and get me plea.

He is pretty much confirming that he'd like to play for a megaclub and who can blame him tbh but why does it have to be done in the public sphere.

Edited by farawaysaint

I hate that reporters ask these leading questions, Fonte handled it well but yes this will be put in every tabloid as a come and get me plea.

He is pretty much confirming that he'd like to play for UTD and who can blame him tbh but why does it have to be done in the public sphere.

No he doesn't say Utd he states Real Madrid and barcelona

Our main issue with Fonte is he isn't likely to be any big clubs first choice signing but someone they might turn to as back up if another deal falls through, especially as he is such a solid, low risk signing that could slot into a squad easily.

What this means is he could be a late deal leaving us proper in the lurch.

Those quotes fill me with no confidence whatsoever and more like prepping the ground for a "I'll never forget my time here" farewell statement than a commitment to actually stay.

Bag'o'shi te.

Our main issue with Fonte is he isn't likely to be any big clubs first choice signing but someone they might turn to as back up if another deal falls through, especially as he is such a solid, low risk signing that could slot into a squad easily.

What this means is he could be a late deal leaving us proper in the lurch.

Those quotes fill me with no confidence whatsoever and more like prepping the ground for a "I'll never forget my time here" farewell statement than a commitment to actually stay.

Bag'o'shi te.

Why would be agree to any kind of late deal whereby we don't have a replacement lined up?

If those quotes are true, that's an absolute disgrace from a captain. He's been a great servant for us, but he's got even more back in return from us.

Reluctantly have to agree, with the caveat that journalists do twist quotes. Just imagine, if Lallana had given an interview like that whilst still at the club he'd have got hammered by the fans for that. Smells like the latest agent is stirring it but Fonte should have the brains to know better when speaking with the press.

Thought (and still hope) he was a bit better than that and the Euros win hasn't turned him into yet another primadonna. If he wants to go and chase money, he can.

Why would be agree to any kind of late deal whereby we don't have a replacement lined up?

Because I think if Manchester United came in for him, we probably would let him go. I'm not talking about deadline day, we're not mental, but late - ie we'd end up signing his replacement on deadline day.

Because I think if Manchester United came in for him, we probably would let him go. I'm not talking about deadline day, we're not mental, but late - ie we'd end up signing his replacement on deadline day.

I can't see any reason why the club would sell him if it was detrimental to our season. He's not like other players, if he runs his contract down he will be 34 and pretty much done with football at this level.

Would a deadline day replacement be that bad if he ended up being younger and just as good? A couple of games with Yoshida isn't going to kill us.

Surely the board will just turn down any offers, in this case we're in the driving seat, he'll be what 34, 35 when his contract expires so no sell on value, we just tell him he aint going nowhere and what can he do about it

Exactly how I see it, and he should be professional enough to see it out AND it gives us and the BlackBox 2 years to find a suitable replacement.

I would not mind if he left at 34 to say one of Portugals big 3 clubs.

And not as good as he think he is

Exactly this, he's important to the club as our Captain and a solid, reliable centreback, but he is not a top 4 quality player at all, last season he had a huge number of lucky escapes when he was caught short.

Exactly this, he's important to the club as our Captain and a solid, reliable centreback, but he is not a top 4 quality player at all, last season he had a huge number of lucky escapes when he was caught short.

We would have finished 7th probably if Kane had finished from Fonte's coc*-up at WHL- the one near end of the first half.

Need an update from Guan, think there is more to the Bertrand injury also. Puel very coy in his interview.

Fonte quotes are a bit alarming, admittedly, but Bertrand just signed a new five year deal a few weeks ago. Would be utter madness if we were to sell him.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Dunno why the overreaction, he's 32 and it's his last chance at angling for a big move of course he'll say a come-and-get-me plea despite being captain and happy here. Afterall if he could add another trophy to the European Cup it would be a good achievement. I don't think a big club will buy him because he's 32, so not worth a punt on.