Fonte Transfer Rumours

Master Bates

Once again our captain is using the press to try and get a move... why does this keep happening?

Not sure that is quite true. Just because the same story is regurgitated in another media outlet is no indication of a new interview just the same one reported again. What might be new is the reported comment from Puel that Fonte is not for sale.

I think what we have is Fonte saying what you'd expect him to say, that with only 2 or 3 seasons left at the top level he would like to spend those seasons playing in the Champion's League if the opportunity came along but its not in his hands. In order to move, there has to be an offer that Southampton would find acceptable and if they decide not to sell him, he's happy enough where he is.

Not sure that is quite true. Just because the same story is regurgitated in another media outlet is no indication of a new interview just the same one reported again. What might be new is the reported comment from Puel that Fonte is not for sale.

I think what we have is Fonte saying what you'd expect him to say, that with only 2 or 3 seasons left at the top level he would like to spend those seasons playing in the Champion's League if the opportunity came along but its not in his hands. In order to move, there has to be an offer that Southampton would find acceptable and if they decide not to sell him, he's happy enough where he is.

Why would you expect him to say that?

Being that he signed a contract extension six months ago and is the captain of the side during a close season of some change, I'd "expect" him to say quite different things.

Who needs evidence. He'll end up at Everton.

I may be proven wrong but that seems highly unlikely.

They wouldn't pay him THAT much more than we are, and it would virtually guarantee he doesn't get another chance at any Euro club competition as Everton aren't qualifying anytime soon based on their current situation, and I reckon this will be our one genuine shot for a little while.

But I thought the Lambert to Liverpool rumours were absolute rubbish when they first appeared, so what do I know.

It was a big enough draw for RK. It's not about the club any more. It's all about money, and they'll have plenty after selling Stones & Lukaku.

We will not sell Fonte to Everton. Man United maybe but not Everton. Jose will be well aware of this.

It was a big enough draw for RK. It's not about the club any more. It's all about money, and they'll have plenty after selling Stones & Lukaku.

Apart from throwing a lot of cash at Koeman's wages Everton haven't really shown they have any more cash than previous years. A guy from villa and a cheap transfer from Fulham hardly point to mega bucks being available. Lukaku won't be sold while they are holding out for £75 million. Stones may go but the longer that takes the less likely we are to sell (and despite what people think we have shown a willingness to say no when it isn't in our interests like we did with Morgan, Mane and Victor in previous summers).

But I thought the Lambert to Liverpool rumours were absolute rubbish when they first appeared, so what do I know.

Lambert to Liverpool was slightly different. As far as I know, Fonte wasn't born in Liverpool, hadn't been a former youth player there, has not been a lifelong fan of Everton, doesn't have any connections whatsoever with the City or the Club, apart from a former manager.

I agree with you though, that there is very little or no chance of him going to Everton.

We will not sell Fonte to Everton. Man United maybe but not Everton. Jose will be well aware of this.
Whilst I understand why you think this, SFC will sell if the offer is right. They know it is our last chance to cash in on the player. Obviously it would make Jose talk about Cl look foolish

Haven't we made enough from the sales of other fairly important players to be able to resist the sale of our captain? Surely some things - inspiration, effect on team morale, message to other clubs/ our players, are sometimes enough to make a bloomin' stand? We always seem to be 'if they want to go, they can go', rather than 'you're very important to the club, we want you to stay for lots of reasons'. Getting a bit bored of it. Always prefer players to cash. Not as if we're about to go out of business.

Whilst I understand why you think this, SFC will sell if the offer is right. They know it is our last chance to cash in on the player. Obviously it would make Jose talk about Cl look foolish

There won't be a right offer from Everton which is why we won't sell him to Everton. One of the things that will make it not right will be the fact that it is from Everton.

You can make out we sell anyone and anybody to whoever asks but we don't.

Haven't we made enough from the sales of other fairly important players to be able to resist the sale of our captain? Surely some things - inspiration, effect on team morale, message to other clubs/ our players, are sometimes enough to make a bloomin' stand? We always seem to be 'if they want to go, they can go', rather than 'you're very important to the club, we want you to stay for lots of reasons'. Getting a bit bored of it. Always prefer players to cash. Not as if we're about to go out of business.

This.

I also would have thought that if he wanted to consider a coaching career after his playing days are over, he could stay on here because of that.

This.

I also would have thought that if he wanted to consider a coaching career after his playing days are over, he could stay on here because of that.

IF, the might be a big IF, he wants coaching afterwards, then moving to Everton would harm his chances with us. But maybe he could do a coaching job in Portugal, so where he finishes his career is irrelevant. If he wanted money, then I am sure China would take him.

All of which proves we know diddly squat about Fonte's intentions, but this silence from all parties doesn't look good

BUT what news are we all expecting? Fonte signed an improved contract at the beginning of year...... it's not normal practise to sign another one 6 months later. I know he's back for a Euro win but the club have not said we have offered him an improved contract - Fonte has not said it wants a yet improved one so personally I am not expecting any news one way or the other.

Lambert to Liverpool was slightly different. As far as I know, Fonte wasn't born in Liverpool, hadn't been a former youth player there, has not been a lifelong fan of Everton, doesn't have any connections whatsoever with the City or the Club, apart from a former manager.

Well my thinking at the time that it was madness for a team just finished 2nd and heading to the CL to be buying a 32-year-old centre forward in the twilight of his career ahead of a major European campaign. But then his signing for them was never about football as we discovered afterwards.

Everton again linked with an improved bid for Williams today as well as a £17m bid for Kone at Sunderland.

No links to Fonte, pretty sure he is staying!!

Kone has been pictured in Everton (apparently). £18m fee.

Did a good job for Sunderland last year to be fair (well, 6 months), but everton's targets have certainly dropped a level after Witsel, Mata and co.

Kone has been pictured in Everton (apparently). £18m fee.

Did a good job for Sunderland last year to be fair (well, 6 months), but everton's targets have certainly dropped a level after Witsel, Mata and co.

I think there's an inevitable panic from Everton with the close of the window drawing near.

That Kone profit (after half a season) is good - even by our standards! Will be interesting to see if they go into over-drive now the Stones money is imminent.

I think I'm still a little more worried over a Fonte move to Utd at the moment, rather than Everton.

Just saw Fonte take his car to be cleaned opposite Soton Central. Not sure how this is relevant but there you go.

What time do Saints train until in the morning?!

Surely he can get his car cleaned at a better place than that? I know someone who left their car there, came back to it scratched to high heaven with swirl marks galore. To be honest, I don't trust anyone to clean my car other than me!

Surely he can get his car cleaned at a better place than that? I know someone who left their car there, came back to it scratched to high heaven with swirl marks galore. To be honest, I don't trust anyone to clean my car other than me!

Haha yeah I never take my car to be cleaned by someone else anymore. However you can park all day there for £5. What with the paltry wage we are obviously paying him he needs to save the pennies.

Fonte won't really want to go to Everton but the club might want the big money they get offered and cash in on him while they still can and if it's made clear to him he's not really wanted here, he'll go. Later the PR spin on it will be that the player was greedy and looking for a last big pay day. He will be a massive loss to the team this season if he is sold.

Just saw Fonte take his car to be cleaned opposite Soton Central. Not sure how this is relevant but there you go.

What time do Saints train until in the morning?!

That is a hint right there.

They are called 'Clean Getaway Cars.'

Whatever next, a trip to Whittard Chelsea jewelry in West Quay?

Fonte wont move to a club outside of European football... Surely?! haha! You can never know with the world of greedy footballers. I think if he leaves it's an absolute disgrace considering the amount we're paying him, the number of new improved contracts we've given him and the promise of coaching role etc.

Yesterday in the press Lovren and wife were mentioned and it said that Lovren was earning 16k per week. Considering we have been told that the players leave for massive wages (in football terms) perhaps we are not paying high wages as I had assumed he would have been on 20-30k at Liverpool

We had the 14th highest wages in the league last season. From that you can take it as we are not paying massive wages.

I hope the wider fanbase take note of this.

We had the 14th highest wages in the league last season. From that you can take it as we are not paying massive wages.

I hope the wider fanbase take note of this.

That was for 2014/15 I believe, I expect the 2015/16 to have us around 10th, and 2016/17 maybe even up a place more.

Sounds like he will stay however there has been interest in Jose, the situation "is difficult"...

Think i got that correctly...

I thought he said "it will be difficult for him to leave" that's what the journos on Twitter are reporting anyway.

I thought this sounded positive but I guess you guys saw the interview first hand and you all sound pretty pessimistic.....

Adam Blackmore ‏@bigadamsport

Claude Puel just told me there is no problem with Jose Fonte & any decision on playing him will be all about fitness not contract #saintsfc[

Yeah - what I seemed to get out of it seems to eb different to what people are saying on twitter, certainly sounded like he's be difficult since he got back though.

We shall see...

No he said that he has been professional and got on with it which makes me believe he wants to take up the option