Fonte Transfer Rumours

Master Bates

VM - I am sure that you would have a little more respect if you were a proper football supporter. You seemed to support Saints when your mate was here, but when he left, your allegiances went with him. That's not the action of a "proper" football supporter, who supports a club come what may. If a mate leaves, then support stays with the club, but then of course you obviously follow your mate as well. While I appreciate the vitriol you faced, a fair bit self inflicted, you could have used humour in this situation (that is if you supported Saints). But as you don't, I guess that is irrelevant.

It would appear though that you don't support any team, but you support a player. What happens when he retires, do you give up with football?

Claude: "José is an important player for the team but also for the fans because they like José and they like the personality of José. His work with Southampton is not finished because we've got good opportunities for the European Cup and the Premier League and for me, it's very important to keep José. And he's okay with this. He had a good discussion with the director and the chairman and now, all is okay. The fans can be happy because José is staying."

It looks like the club are trying to rehabilitate Fonte's reputation in the eyes of the supporters following the speculation about his attitude post-Euros, and his "I'd be flattered" comments in the press in reaction to the attempts by Man U to be unsettle him. There are positive comments about his attitude in the Echo, the Telegraph and from the manager. This is going to sound hopelessly optimistic, but I'm starting to think that the club may actually be planning on telling United to stick it with their offer (if United make one).

Strong statement to make given last couple years...lest hope its actually true this time.

TBF the club have actually stuck to the word about players not leaving (they did it with Morgan and J-rod 2 summers ago and Victor and Mane last summer). It's when the club say "we do not wish to sell this player" that you need to worry.

Claude: "José is an important player for the team but also for the fans because they like José and they like the personality of José. His work with Southampton is not finished because we've got good opportunities for the European Cup and the Premier League and for me, it's very important to keep José. And he's okay with this. He had a good discussion with the director and the chairman and now, all is okay. The fans can be happy because José is staying."
I assume they have assured him A) United have not made an offer B) we are going to strengthen

Saint-Armstrong is back!

Given the return of theVman . Could he be suggesting that the turncoat wants to come back to St Mary's to be a Saint again.

Would we want him back

Personally, in a flash. One of the few real talents in a poor England team in the Euros. Very clever player. I know people have difficulty with the way he left, which he handled with the adroitness of your average mid-twenties year old given a pay rise, but he made a massive contribution to our post 2009 rise,

I am slightly itk on this one with my snap dragon knowing a member of his close family. The way he feels at the moment there is absolutely no chance he'll come back to saints

TBH the way he behaved and his farewell on OS am sure hell will freeze over before we would have him back too. Will end back at Bmth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Given the return of theVman . Could he be suggesting that the turncoat wants to come back to St Mary's to be a Saint again.

Would we want him back

Absolutely not. The way he left was a ****ing disgrace. Supposed to be our Captain and out leader but acted like a petulant child to engineer a move for more money the greedy ****. Looked after him since we were 12, helped him with a heart condition and he throws that in our face the minute he gets a chance to leave. I love the fact he's won nothing since he left, I also love watching him completely melt every time he plays us. He clearly has a very weak/ fragile mind and struggles in the face of abuse.

His advert in the Echo was frankly pathetic.

Southampton Football Club are not a 'nasty' club. Our silence when he left spoke volumes, he's a nasty, cowardly, greedy rat and I don't want him anywhere near Southampton Football Club again, we are bigger and better than that.

So Fonte gets his agent to talk to another of his clients to float a rumour or two, with the club not receiving a bid and hey presto, a £1.3m pay rise materialises. Is that about the sum of it?

He's class. The embodiment of SFC. Won the Euros he did.

Deserves his move he does. Bless him. Welcome back you loyal servant. Get him on the banner.

Based on nothing but gut feel I don't think he is going to have a great season.

£70k seems to be out new top limit, believe it was £55k last year so a nice tick up for a few senior players

We were paying players more than £55k last season, and the season before that and the season before that. Which you know of course.

2/10.

"said to have snubbed a move to Man Utd in the process"

translation;

'Saints wouldn't let me leave so I took the increased wages' or 'Man Utd were never actually interested anyway'

Why does everyone have to be so negative about this - it's great news!

If we only get Boufal in as well it's been a good summer transfer window - another attacker to replace JRod going out on Loan i can take or leave.

It was really important for us to keep the back 5 together this summer - then the attackers we have to plug in can play with a lot more freedom knowing there is a solid defensive unit behind them.

This isn't loyalty. This is accepting that Saints won't be letting you leave under any circumstances, but you can have a pay rise to make you feel better.

Teddies back in Priam and 'We March On'!

Together as one?

With you on this Andy - Fonte has demonstrated that loyalty in modern Football is wafer thin. The loyalty of Lallana and co. is there until a big Club with more money comes in with an offer; the loyalty of players like Ward-Prowse exist because there are no other offers. Just the same, I expect Jose baby will be the model professional for another year or two at which point age/wear and tear will catch up.

United were never interested. Fonte wanted to stay (He and his family are settled), but wanted as much a pay rise as he could get in his last couple of years (Who could blame him).... Fonte's agent (Who's job it is to negotiate as much money as possible) spoke to his other client (Jose 2) and told him to show interest. This gave said agent a small bargaining tool (Players that throw in a transfer request aren't usually forced to stay... he knew this). Then it was a case of waiting and seeing who blinked first.

If Mourinho was so interested he would have moved before the planned last day bid. This was always going to be the outcome