Fonte Transfer Rumours

Master Bates

Nobody else think it's a bit odd there hasn't been an interview with Fonte seeing as he just won the Euro's. Also Cedric been on Twitter and Instagram saying he is happy to be back......Fonte...the silence is deafening. Hope I am wrong....

Give him a break. He's probably been occupied with travel arrangements, settling back in at home and starting training again. I guess Les Reed is the one who decides who gets the PR interviews and photo ops, not Fonte.

Give him a break. He's probably been occupied with travel arrangements, settling back in at home and starting training again. I guess Les Reed is the one who decides who gets the PR interviews and photo ops, not Fonte.

Maybe an announcement prior to the Espanyol game?

Nobody else think it's a bit odd there hasn't been an interview with Fonte seeing as he just won the Euro's. Also Cedric been on Twitter and Instagram saying he is happy to be back......Fonte...the silence is deafening. Hope I am wrong....

Fonte should post something on Instagram saying how happy he is to be back. Like Pellè did.

I won't be assured until Les tells us how well negotiations are going, or that the press speculation is unfounded.

Or better still the OS has a photo of him signing a new contract. Perhaps wearing three large wrist watches that used to be the signal of a signing, representing the last three contracts he's signed in quick succession.

When Mourinho comes calling your head gets turned. How many years does Fonte have at the top? VVD 6 year contract and Captain in the absence of Fonte? I'm not ITK but do you need to be to see something is going on behind the scenes.

Maybe Fonte and Saints are playing us, maybe not??

When Mourinho comes calling your head gets turned. How many years does Fonte have at the top? VVD 6 year contract and Captain in the absence of Fonte? I'm not ITK but do you need to be to see something is going on behind the scenes.

Maybe Fonte and Saints are playing us, maybe not??

If its Mourinho & Mancs I can understand it, and aceept it (at C£15m rather than the £9m mentioned), but not to the Dugout innovators.

Cedric interview up now.......why would the captain be the first to give a interview

Its happening people the exodus mk11 :lol:

so you ignore the fact he was at training but focus on him not, to your knowledge, giving an interview ?

ok....... I like your thinking :lol:

I interviewed Fonte on Saints' future, Koeman's future and his own future (amongst other things) back in April, for a couple of nationals.

Decided to dig up the above part of the transcript to share on here, in full and word-for-word... not sure how much interest it will hold for some, but thought that I may as well share it now considering the rumours that have picked up some traction.

---

We’ve touched on the manager there. But just how important has he been for Southampton? You were obviously at the club when Mauricio Pochettino left, and the fans are concerned that if you keep losing top players and top managers, how does the club continue to move forward and how important is Ronald?

I think Ronald has done an amazing job.

Like you said, we’ve lost some great players and he and the club were able to replace them with good players as well.

What he’s done for us has been fantastic and we hope that he can sign his new contract and stay with us for the next few years.

He’s made us believe. We’ve had the best finishes in the Premier League, so we’re really happy.

He’s been able to deal with all that has been thrown at him, so great credit to him and his staff and the board.

Obviously, we want to go to the next step and the next step is to keep hold of our best players and manage to add even more quality to the great squad that we already have.

Do you think it would be a statement to the rest of football if Southampton could get Ronald Koeman to sign a new deal?

I think it’s the first step. It’s the first step.

If we are able to keep hold of our best assets, it’s a big statement to the Premier League and to the world of what we want to achieve.

So, I hope we can do it this year.

I’ve seen speculation in Portugal that has said you’ve said you would quite like to retire in Portugal… is that the case?

That’s speculation, that’s just speculation.

What I said, in an interview. Actually, to put everything clear…

A journalist asked me ‘Would you ever come back to Portugal and which of the three big clubs do you prefer?’

I said: ‘Well they’re three big clubs which makes it hard for any player to say no.’

I’m very happy at Southampton, I feel at home and this is my club. It’s where I’ve been very successful.

But in football, you never know. Today, the manager likes me, the club likes me, I like the club and it’s all good.

The fans like me, I love the fans and we’re fine.

I would love to finish my career in Southampton, but you don’t know tomorrow and in football things change very quickly.

I’m happy where I am, I really appreciate what Southampton did for me and if I finish my career in Southampton - that’s great.

We’ve seen Radhi Jaïdi go into coaching at Saints and Kelvin looks like doing the same, is that something you can see yourself doing?

Most definitely.

I’m already taking the coaching degree with Kelvin Davis. It’s something that excites me, I like coaching and I’m passionate about it.

In the next five or six years, it’s something I look forward to because at the moment I still feel fresh enough, I still have a few years in me.

But I am already preparing my future.

Future Saints manager one day?

I would love to manage Saints. I would love to, yes, most definitely.

---

He was clearly very enthusiastic in his interview when I brought up the topic of Koeman. As he says himself, football can change quickly but I can't imagine that Claude wouldn't like to have Fonte in his back-line. It all depends on whether he's had a shift in his own thinking after the Euros or if his new agent - Jorge Mendes - has made him aware of certain interest...

FWIW, I think he'll still be here when the window shuts but I can see why a move might appeal to him. Especially if, as others have said, Mendes' mate Mourinho comes calling.

Edited by Saint-Armstrong

Fonte should post something on Instagram saying how happy he is to be back. Like Pellè did.

Save us from false smilies, but nothing to worry about. He's gritting his teeth and enjoying the pain of training in the latest OS gallery. Which proves he's stayng.

If he goes to Man U, Porto, Benfica or Sporting then I very much doubt any fans will hold it against him....

If he were to go to Everton then it would undoubtedly leave a bad taste, but he would still have been one of our best servants in the st marys era.

I hope the rumours are just pure speculation, but to be perfectly honest I would not begrudge Jose one final big move. He's a top pro and proof of what you can achieve if you are prepared to work your socks off.

I am thinking there may be some sort of surprise presentation before one of the friendlies. Not ITK information, just a hunch. I think that would be a nice move if the club did something to honour both Jose and Cedric (as it's not every day that two of our players win a major international trophy!).

Sorry but I would begrudge him a move, he is our captain, we have paid him high wages for many years, we don’t owe him a move to a bigger club just because he has been loyal to us or he’s nearing the end of his career.

It’s about time some of these players showed some loyalty to us like we have to them and honoured their contracts and not just jump ship as soon as they get offered a bit more money or throw their toys out their pram if they don’t get the move (forcing us to sell them).

Jose seems like a decent chap though and so I would hope he won’t be like one of the other rats.

IF Saints PR people don´t make fuzz about having 2 Euro Champs in the squad - then they are so bad that they should be sacked - BUT what I´ve seen from these PR people I´m sure Saints will make something nice both for the players and the club out of this.

so Capt Fantastic is about to leave the club for moan United or the blue snakes . All you meltdown folk have my upmost sympathy . Bless you all on the dark side

On a positive note and back on Mother Earth , Fonte has yet again got the no 6 shirt , following an announcement in the last 30 minutes , why would they do that if he is leaving

so Capt Fantastic is about to leave the club for moan United or the blue snakes . All you meltdown folk have my upmost sympathy . Bless you all on the dark side

On a positive note and back on Mother Earth , Fonte has yet again got the no 6 shirt , following an announcement in the last 30 minutes , why would they do that if he is leaving

Not sure that's massively watertight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Breaking news on Sky Sports, players are now allowed to be transferred to another team even if they have a squad number already assigned.

We can only speculate, but Cedric found time to do an interview. Maybe Fonte is focused on fitness and doesn't want anything to get in the way?

I'm reading a bit into this situation.

or perhaps ..more likely that Cedric is staying and Fonte is off. Will be gutted if he goes.