Fonte Transfer Rumours

Master Bates

He's got two years in his current contract so he has no opportunity to earn more elsewhere unless we agree to transfer his registration.

He has no leverage at all and if it's just about money rather than winning things then he sounds like a bit of a ****, to be honest.

Just pay him. It will cost much more looking for a replacement

He is under contract for another two years that is the end of the story.

If he had a poor Euros and poor early form for us would he have taken a pay cut? No, thought not!

The thing is though the board insist on encouraging the big clubs in by not making an assertive statement stating he is going nowhere. This is unsettling and yet again we handle this episode in an amateur fashion...

He is under contract for another two years that is the end of the story.

If he had a poor Euros and poor early form for us would he have taken a pay cut? No, thought not!

The thing is though the board insist on encouraging the big clubs in by not making an assertive statement stating he is going nowhere. This is unsettling and yet again we handle this episode in an amateur fashion...

This is the aspect that irritates me too.

Ah those statements that Reed has done in the past and still gets criticised for now. A statement wouldn't change anything.

This. Every day I think "please don't reassure us Les, please don't".

No interest in statements apart from a) smiley picture with big watch on, signing new contract or b) transfer window shuts and he's still here.

Everything else is worthless.

Talksport's top transfer analysist has said Jose definitely want this move to United who are prepared to raise an offer to 13 to 14 million. Saints need be find a replacement quickly for this to go ahead as soon as possible.

Talksport's top transfer analysist has said Jose definitely want this move to United who are prepared to raise an offer to 13 to 14 million. Saints need be find a replacement quickly for this to go ahead as soon as possible.

Don't pay much attention to Talk****e. And what the hell is a transfer analyst apart from someone reading the same rumours and planted stories and adding to them?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Fairly sure their top transfer analyst is that fat tw4t Moosehead or whatever he calls himself. All he does is read the BBC Gossip page and spew it out to the dribbling millions.

If its on Talksport then he's definitely not going there.

Don't pay much attention to Talk****e. And what the hell is a transfer analyst apart from someone reading the same rumours and planted stories and adding to them?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Talksport - the radio station that has Alex Crook as it's "South coast expert"

The station which completely invented a story about Wayne Rooney leaving Man United. I listened to this story develop one morning. Rooney was left out of the Man United side the night before, Alan Brazil started off the speculation by saying "Rooney dropped, does the manager not rate him anymore?" which quickly became "is he on his way out of the door?" an ex player commented that he might be frustrated at not starting, a Manchester Evening News journalist commented that only PSG and Man City could afford him. By the end of the show Alan Brazil was claiming "a frustrated Wayne Rooney is on his way out of Manchester United with PSG and Man City already being linked" It was one of the most blatant examples of sh*t stirring I've ever heard.

The station which completely invented a story about Wayne Rooney leaving Man United. I listened to this story develop one morning. Rooney was left out of the Man United side the night before, Alan Brazil started off the speculation by saying "Rooney dropped, does the manager not rate him anymore?" which quickly became "is he on his way out of the door?" an ex player commented that he might be frustrated at not starting, a Manchester Evening News journalist commented that only PSG and Man City could afford him. By the end of the show Alan Brazil was claiming "a frustrated Wayne Rooney is on his way out of Manchester United with PSG and Man City already being linked" It was one of the most blatant examples of sh*t stirring I've ever heard.

In his defence he was drunk.

Van Dijk was going mental at him as he had to come across twice to cover for him. lol Didn't have the best of games but you can't really blame him with all the speculation going on. This is why we need to change the start date of the season so the window shuts as the season starts.

Van Dijk was going mental at him as he had to come across twice to cover for him. lol Didn't have the best of games but you can't really blame him with all the speculation going on. This is why we need to change the start date of the season so the window shuts as the season starts.

Or we could just change the date the transfer window shuts?

Or we could just change the date the transfer window shuts?

Well no, because all of Europe start's on a different date. We can't expect the whole of Europe to change just for us. Think La Liga starts next week?? Regardless. All European leagues should start the week after the transfer window shuts imo.

Well no, because all of Europe start's on a different date. We can't expect the whole of Europe to change just for us. Think La Liga starts next week?? Regardless. All European leagues should start the week after the transfer window shuts imo.

Why can't they close the transfer window a month earlier? Why do clubs need a 3 months long window in the first place?

Doesn't matter if Spain, or who ever, starts later or sooner. If you would close the window on the first of August then all leagues would start with squads who wont change until the winter. And 2 months is plenty of time to get players in and you can negotiate with players and clubs way before that as well.

Its something clubs and leagues have been asking about for years now cause clubs basically sell their fans a product in the pre-season that can change while you have played 3/4 matches already.

There really ain't no reason anymore why the window is open until September.

Why can't they close the transfer window a month earlier? Why do clubs need a 3 months long window in the first place?

Doesn't matter if Spain, or who ever, starts later or sooner. If you would close the window on the first of August then all leagues would start with squads who wont change until the winter. And 2 months is plenty of time to get players in and you can negotiate with players and clubs way before that as well.

Its something clubs and leagues have been asking about for years now cause clubs basically sell their fans a product in the pre-season that can change while you have played 3/4 matches already.

Man up, FFS.

Personally I'd change it back to how it was not so long ago, with transfers open all the way up until about March.

Imagine you're far to delicate to cope with such an idea though.

10 days left to the window " closing". If he is going ....he won't play on Saturday , or will have a mysterious " injury ".

This is really a head / heart debate. Contracturally....he still has 2 years left and the idea of getting £8-10 million for player who will be 33 at Christmas look a good deal.

Avoiding the word " legend "....he is the last of the players who made the journey up from the L1 days, and surely few fans would deny him a last big payday, if .......

....like Lambert he chose to make the move. If he does move .....it'll be a 2 year contract (with options) and a few opening games / sub.apps to bolster up a shaky defence, or give extra strength to defences in the Euro competitions that any new club are likley to have.

In this event ; I'd expect to see him on the bench in the latter part of this season after " the new club " have installed " a younger man" with a longer future.

Like Lambert, his game time would be measured in minutes... rather than starting apps. The benefits being a larger salary ....and some good memories from SMS.

I wouldn't begrudge him a final move so it really is a Catch 22 situation for him this week.

Sooner (rather than later) he will need to be replaced.....and I for one (reluctantly) say ...better to leave in a burst of glory than on a free transfer in 2 years time.

Although you seem to make a good case, the reality is that that you never know if last year's good team..... may struggle in the new season.

It's very early days, but interesting to note that both Leicester and Arsenal, who finished 1st and 2nd respectively... have had very uneven starts and like Saints have only 1 point from their first two games.

The first two or three games are an indication to the manager (often a new signing, too) as to what his requirements will be. More defenders?, another striker?, etc.

It also gives a breathing space for reflection, and pre-season training can also bring its own share of injuries. This year...it's Gardos and Bertrand (again) for Saints.

Or like West Ham (who I normally have little sympathy for) having signed Ayew for a whopping £20 million...saw him play for about 30 minutes before he got an injury which will most likely keep him out until the New Year. Now they must start seeking someone else - if they want to hold their high Prem place AND progress in Europe.

Whilst the window has its purpose, it was somewhat unfair in bygone days when players could move at any time, and a club going for the title would often sign a top scoring player, or star defender / midfielder to help them " over the line ". Nerve-racking though it can be ....the whole idea of the transfer window is not such a bad one.

Edited by david in sweden

I think Jose is going to go & that explains the "3" possible incomings before the deadline IMO.

Let's be honest, none of us want him to go, but we all know the routine.

The echo even said he's staying unless we get an "eye watering" offer. (Aka £8m) which they can probably find down their sofa.

It's obvious he's going to go somewhere - aside from there being too much media smoke for there not be a fire, he hasn't featured in any official social media stuff from the club. As someone said very early on in this frustratingly familiar saga, it's odd that our 2016 Euro winning captain has had no coverage.

If the clubs have suspected he is leaving then I hope they have at least one new CB lined up and that we don't sleepwalk into another season with a patched up defence.

I think Jose is going to go & that explains the "3" possible incomings before the deadline IMO.

Let's be honest, none of us want him to go, but we all know the routine.

The echo even said he's staying unless we get an "eye watering" offer. (Aka £8m) which they can probably find down their sofa.

How is £8m an eye watering offer? It would cost much more than that to replace him.

What is the point in selling him for £8million? You can't get **** all for that nowadays, we would have to spend at least double that to get the same quality in.

If he wants to go I would rather let him sulk in the reserves for the rest of his time here than take £8mill.

What is the point in selling him for £8million? You can't get **** all for that nowadays, we would have to spend at least double that to get the same quality in.

If he wants to go I would rather let him sulk in the reserves for the rest of his time here than take £8mill.

Fonte is hardly the type of player to sulk. Some of our fans have no appreciation for what a great club servant he has been for us. It seems the only person people are devoted to now is Les Reed. Our players know they will all be sold anyway as part of the club's 'business model' and many of our fans will turn ahainst them as soon as there is a transfer riumour 'leaked' from the club.

Fonte is hardly the type of player to sulk. Some of our fans have no appreciation for what a great club servant he has been for us. It seems the only person people are devoted to now is Les Reed. Our players know they will all be sold anyway as part of the club's 'business model' and many of our fans will turn ahainst them as soon as there is a transfer riumour 'leaked' from the club.

I never said he would sulk, I don't think he would, it's just that is often trotted out as a reason to flog an in contract player. We could turn down his move and he would still do a great job for us which is why we would be completely nuts to sell him for £8mill.

Fonte is different to our other departures in that he has no leverage. Everyone else has been able to say 'sell me now or I will leave next summer/2 years'. With Jose that simply isn't a threat, so we hold old the aces.

He will stay unless its to our advantage to sell him, I.e. We have another Virgil/Toby/Lovren lined up.