Fonte Transfer Rumours

Master Bates

If you were 32 years old playing in the Premier League would you sign a contract extension when one of your teamates who didn't win the Euros and regularly went 'AWOL' during the middle of the season has just signed a lucrative deal with a Chinese club? At his age he could be a fringe player relatively soon so wouldn't he want to keep his options a bit more open - look at Kelvin Davis...barely played for the first team in his last few years as a player.

If you take the emotion out of it, he's very replaceable . Great servant that he's been , he's shown signs of tipping over the top of the hill . I know he had a great Euros and he's " last man standing " from our league one days , but there's no point in getting all soppy and emotional about it . The cold hard business decision would be to line up a replacement and sell. From this summer on it'll be a diminishing return in terms of transfer fees and personally I can't see him getting better . I'm not a soft arse around the captaincy ( VvD or Davo are just as capable ) so it's down to football . In football terms , he's a good player with a lot of miles on his clock , at his peak value . If we can get rid at top dollar and get a younger man in for the same money and wages , I'd do it . Look at Baines, Everton didn't sell at the top of the market and they're getting less and less value for money out of him . He's not John Terry , he'll need replacing or face better competition than Yoshida within 18 months anyway . Don't let the euros confuse the issue , VvD is our number one and there's plenty younger players who could slot in next to him

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

If you take the emotion out of it, he's very replaceable . Great servant that he's been , he's shown signs of tipping over the top of the hill . I know he had a great Euros and he's " last man standing " from our league one days , but there's no point in getting all soppy and emotional about it . The cold hard business decision would be to line up a replacement and sell. From this summer on it'll be a diminishing return in terms of transfer fees and personally I can't see him getting better . I'm not a soft arse around the captaincy ( VvD or Davo are just as capable ) so it's down to football . In football terms , he's a good player with a lot of miles on his clock , at his peak value . If we can get rid at top dollar and get a younger man in for the same money and wages , I'd do it . Look at Baines, Everton didn't sell at the top of the market and they're getting less and less value for money out of him . He's not John Terry , he'll need replacing or face better competition than Yoshida within 18 months anyway . Don't let the euros confuse the issue , VvD is our number one and there's plenty younger players who could slot in next to him

Where in the Euro final...

Wondered how long it would be before the digs about him start to show, albeit only slight....

Apart from posting #wemarchon on social media he hasn't actual done anything, that we know about, other than revel he would be tempted by Barca and Real in an interview..

Which he later edited to #wemarchon together, which seems significant.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

You need senior strong characters in the squad and that is worth more than his playing ability worth. So letting him go may not be such a good business decision and letting him go at this late in the closed season isn't such a clever idea.

Where in the Euro final...

Wondered how long it would be before the digs about him start to show, albeit only slight....

As I said in the bits of the post you didn't quote " he was great in the euros ".

But history is full of players doing great in particular tournaments . My judgement is based on watching him regularly and he's a good centre half , but he's got a lot of miles in his legs having played many lower league games . Just because he won the euros doesn't suddenly change that any more than it makes Cedric a better full back than Clynne in the English game .

As I said in the bits of the post you didn't quote " he was great in the euros ".

But history is full of players doing great in particular tournaments . My judgement is based on watching him regularly and he's a good centre half , but he's got a lot of miles in his legs having played many lower league games . Just because he won the euros doesn't suddenly change that any more than it makes Cedric a better full back than Clynne in the English game .

I've read your 2nd paragraph 3 times and filed it under jibberish.

Taken as an individual player Fonte is replaceable. He reads the game well and has good positioning but he lacks a bit of pace and makes a few mistakes (not sure I've ever seen a player get away with more obvious fouls/handballs as Jose!) However, where we may it hard to replace his leadership and organisation, and the effect that has on those around him. It can't be a coincidence that nearly everyone who plays alongside Fonte seems to improve their game.

Apart from posting #wemarchon on social media he hasn't actual done anything, that we know about, other than revel he would be tempted by Barca and Real in an interview..

I know...was being a tad negative. I would be rightly p*ssed off if leaves though, hope all the speculation is nonsense

Mourinho wanted 4 main signings which he's got. He's also said he'd look to bring in other players but happy with squad. Reckon United might have put a bid in based on what they value Fonte at. Didn't meet our valuation and United didn't want to up their bid. Jose would have been happy either way. Stay somewhere he's settled and loved by the fans or get a chance at a massive club.

Mourinho wanted 4 main signings which he's got. He's also said he'd look to bring in other players but happy with squad. Reckon United might have put a bid in based on what they value Fonte at. Didn't meet our valuation and United didn't want to up their bid. Jose would have been happy either way. Stay somewhere he's settled and loved by the fans or get a chance at a massive club.

Doubt he is happy with all the bumper extensions signed. I imagine at the very least he will want a pay rise (rightly so).

If you take the emotion out of it, he's very replaceable . Great servant that he's been , he's shown signs of tipping over the top of the hill .

WHAT!!!!

If it wasn't for Fonte and Cedric coming on board, Portugal would not have won the final. The Portuguese know this and anyone who watched the final and the matches they played in prior know this.

Now, whose loyal.

If you take the emotion out of it, he's very replaceable . Great servant that he's been , he's shown signs of tipping over the top of the hill .

WHAT!!!!

If it wasn't for Fonte and Cedric coming on board, Portugal would not have won the final. The Portuguese know this and anyone who watched the final and the matches they played in prior know this.

Now, whose loyal.

Don't let old Lord ****witterer get you in a tizz with his verbal jizz

WHAT!!!!

Now, whose loyal.

Whose loyal ?

The supporters and that's it .

Greece won the euros , did that make all their players irreplaceable at club level ? No it didn't . From what I've seen of him I'd swap either of England's right backs with Cedric , yet England lost to Icland . Take the emotion out of it and judge Jose as a 32 year old centre half . He's a good player , but entirely replaceable . Personally , I wouldn't want to now as its late in the day , but it's not the end of the world if he wants out .

Taken as an individual player Fonte is replaceable. He reads the game well and has good positioning but he lacks a bit of pace and makes a few mistakes (not sure I've ever seen a player get away with more obvious fouls/handballs as Jose!) However, where we may it hard to replace his leadership and organisation, and the effect that has on those around him. It can't be a coincidence that nearly everyone who plays alongside Fonte seems to improve their game.

This is the nub of it. He definitely isn't the best centre back in the league, but he is the best leader of Saints at the moment. We could bring in the best centre back, well second best behind VvD, but we'd still lose the genuine leadership and experience Fonte brings. Frankly, he would be a bit crap anywhere else.

He wouldn't be crap, just not as good as here.

Surely our biggest positive is an unchanged back 5 that are all looking good. If we tie down Fonte we can keep that together all season and hopefully the season after too. Huge positive when so much else in the team and coaching is changing.

Only concern right now is goal threat, defence should be great. Unsettling that would be a huge blow.

Part of the reason for our defensive record over the past 2 seasons was because we had great players in the defensive midfield roles who did an excellent job of protecting the back 4. They've gone and it looks like we're going to play only 1 in front of the back 4 this season. I've a feeling that our defence won't look nearly as solid this term.

This is the nub of it. He definitely isn't the best centre back in the league, but he is the best leader of Saints at the moment. We could bring in the best centre back, well second best behind VvD, but we'd still lose the genuine leadership and experience Fonte brings. Frankly, he would be a bit crap anywhere else.

The lack of appreciation for the quality of Fonte from some Saints fans for our captain puzzles me. He wasn't 'a bit crap' for Portugal in the European Championship finals, was he? We are lucky to have one of the best central defenders in Europe playing for us and he's one of the main reasons we've done so well in recent years. I can fully understand why Mourinho would consider him to lead the Man United defence the way that Terry led Chelsea's. There are few other players in the world who could do it so well.

Part of the reason for our defensive record over the past 2 seasons was because we had great players in the defensive midfield roles who did an excellent job of protecting the back 4. They've gone and it looks like we're going to play only 1 in front of the back 4 this season. I've a feeling that our defence won't look nearly as solid this term.

Shock.

The lack of appreciation for the quality of Fonte from some Saints fans for our captain puzzles me. He wasn't 'a bit crap' for Portugal in the European Championship finals, was he? We are lucky to have one of the best central defenders in Europe playing for us and he's one of the main reasons we've done so well in recent years. I can fully understand why Mourinho would consider him to lead the Man United defence the way that Terry led Chelsea's. There are few other players in the world who could do it so well.

I think Terry would be crap in the Saints defence. Jose's value is knowing his goalie and defenders and it doesn't automatically work if he moves to another team, especially at the latter end of his career. I'm not 100% sure he was key to Portugal's success, considering he was a late addition. If so, maybe he could slot in and command ManU's defence.

The silence tells you everything. Problem is he signed a contract and therefore Saints hold all the aces. Fonte is a professional and will have to accept that loyalty works both ways. Invariably his agent will make him sign a new contract or Saints will decide to wait to the final day of the transfer window and cash in on the madness. £15 million would be hard to turn down.

What on earth are you dribbling about.... 15m is peanuts. We need players not a measly 15m - get a grip..... It's about winning football matches and not how much money you can accumulate short term!!!!

What on earth !!!!!!

N

If you were 32 years old playing in the Premier League would you sign a contract extension when one of your teamates who didn't win the Euros and regularly went 'AWOL' during the middle of the season has just signed a lucrative deal with a Chinese club? At his age he could be a fringe player relatively soon so wouldn't he want to keep his options a bit more open - look at Kelvin Davis...barely played for the first team in his last few years as a player.

That's like comparing cheese with concrete an analogy that doesn't resemble in any way..

Just my speculation.

Fonte is 32 but he'll be 33 in December. His contract with Saints runs out in the summer of 2018 by which time he'll be on the way to 35. He may feel that he has 3 more seasons in him at the top level, one more than his current contract, but there is a risk that after 2 more years, he'll be on the decline. Fonte is aware of interest, with Man U and Everton commonly named as the two making noises but neither of those clubs can offer him Champions League football so they don't make obvious destinations unless there is a large wage increase but he can't leave without Southampton's agreement.

He could wait until 2017 and then angle for a move when he only has one year left and hope for a 2-year contract to provide extra pay higher pay and an another year, but Saints might be offering him that anyway.

His reluctance to close the option of a move is understandable, after all he is a professional employee near the end of his career and wants to make as much income as he can in the time left, but he has virtually no bargaining chips. If they like, Saints can keep him for two more years and then let him go on a free when his value will be very low anyway. He can't realistically refuse to play, or play badly, because there'd be no guarantee it would bring him a move in Jan or next season and he might not be seen as such an attractive option if not playing regularly in the Prem and in the Portugal national side.

My guess is he will mull it around as bit longer hoping Saints will increase their offer and then accept a 3-year contract with a pay rise, as being the best he can get. He might even keep the club dangling through to the next transfer window or the one after, but the longer he holds out might increase the risk to him.

Just my speculation.

Fonte is 32 but he'll be 33 in December. His contract with Saints runs out in the summer of 2018 by which time he'll be on the way to 35. He may feel that he has 3 more seasons in him at the top level, one more than his current contract, but there is a risk that after 2 more years, he'll be on the decline. Fonte is aware of interest, with Man U and Everton commonly named as the two making noises but neither of those clubs can offer him Champions League football so they don't make obvious destinations unless there is a large wage increase but he can't leave without Southampton's agreement.

He could wait until 2017 and then angle for a move when he only has one year left and hope for a 2-year contract to provide extra pay higher pay and an another year, but Saints might be offering him that anyway.

His reluctance to close the option of a move is understandable, after all he is a professional employee near the end of his career and wants to make as much income as he can in the time left, but he has virtually no bargaining chips. If they like, Saints can keep him for two more years and then let him go on a free when his value will be very low anyway. He can't realistically refuse to play, or play badly, because there'd be no guarantee it would bring him a move in Jan or next season and he might not be seen as such an attractive option if not playing regularly in the Prem and in the Portugal national side.

My guess is he will mull it around as bit longer hoping Saints will increase their offer and then accept a 3-year contract with a pay rise, as being the best he can get. He might even keep the club dangling through to the next transfer window or the one after, but the longer he holds out might increase the risk to him.

Also ... why would a team of Man U's standing offer anything longer than a year, two tops contract to a 32 yr old?

His best bet I reckon is if we offer him an improved contract sign on the dotted line, at least he'll be getting game time and paid quite well.

The curve ball is if a Portuguese team came in with an offer. Big decision time then, where does he want to be in a few years, England or Portugal?

Man U surely would want him only for cover as a squad player. With the likes of Pogba on board realistically could he expect to start many/any matches? Schneiderlin is far younger and when here together a much better player and look where he spends most match day afternoons. If it's a "dream" for him to play for Man U his dream might we'll turn out to be Nightmare. Be careful what you wish for laddie!

Man U surely would want him only for cover as a squad player. With the likes of Pogba on board realistically could he expect to start many/any matches? Schneiderlin is far younger and when here together a much better player and look where he spends most match day afternoons. If it's a "dream" for him to play for Man U his dream might we'll turn out to be Nightmare. Be careful what you wish for laddie!

Spot on. If you want to play in the Portuguese team which , he obviously does don't bother with one of the big teams you won't get a match and therefore won't be seen. SChneiderlin was a prime example. He only got into the French team because someone was sick. I don't think he got a game? Spend your time on the bench, you may get the cash but none of the glory. Fonte has loved the glory, just look at his Instagram account he enjoyed himself. He is still in the papers here in Portugal after donating his Ho E short to his home town.

I see United wanting him to nurture their younger players in the central defence positions. He would only be used this and possibly next season when the hope that those younger players would of adapted by then.

It will be a short-term situation for Fonte, but time is against him now anyway.

The bosh will be the deciding factor as always. United might make him an offer, on the above terms, he cannot refuse. Or that his agent refuses to let Fonte turn down more likely.

However, I think this is Mendez squeezing as much out of Saints as possible and Fonte will be trotted out in due course to tell YouTube that he was always staying, glad it's finally sorted etc.

I just can't see the fit at this stage of his career for Man U. Could it possibly be that we're playing them in Mourinho's first home game in front of the watching world and a bit of mind-games may have in play here? It's certainly kept apart 2 of the best CB pairings in the run-up. If United's (supposed) interest suddenly cools after next Friday then JM may have played a blinder.

Spoke to to a friend at the game who works at saints. Apparently Fonte has got the right arse that he has been told he has to stay. Whats the betting he throws his toys out of the pram trying to force a move?

Tough. He signed a new contract not long ago. If that's true I'm glad the club told him to stay.

I've seen reports saying there were 2 Man Utd representatives at St Mary's today to finalise an £8m move.

Does anyone more ITK know anything?

I'm gonna assume it's tripe until proved wrong?

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

That's come via the sport bible. Happy to accept that it's tripe