Fonte Transfer Rumours

Master Bates

So I've now seen a few other posters who have also noted the fact that Jose hasn't played a minute of Europa league football, I'm pretty sure he's off in January and is not playing to prevent him being cup tied ! Could there be another reason ?

We aren't going to sell the club captain in January and Utd barely give a toss about it anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

Sunday Times (normally a well informed paper) reckons Saints (Les?) has agreed to allow Fonte to leave in January

Doesn't say who is in the frame

Apparently Everton had a £9m bid turned down before the start of the season.

Could be a busy January unless the club tells Puell there is no money available until VVD is sold!!

Why hasn't fonte played any European games for us?

Surely our captain from league 1 would want to complete his journey by playing in Europe with us, unless he doesn't want to be cup tied for a potential future move (united)

It will be interesting to see if he plays on Thursday night

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Fonte just won the Euros and was outstanding last season

He's looked a shadow of himself this season (for us) but sadly you could say that for a number of our players this season

Puel under Koeman or Jose would be back to his best v.quick

2.6/10

Too signposted. Heavy-handed final sentence. Kills the payoff.

Fonte. Greedy berk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes - very disappointing how a player who has been such a relaible part of our rise appears to be behaving like a stroppy diva after his elevation on the international satge, and a change of agent.

Certainly worth more than £5m.

Personally I'd like to see us make him see out the season at least. & CERTAINLY NOT SELL HIM TO KOEMAN.

Very sad that Jose doesn't think that £80k a week is enough and I suppose I have to believe talks have broken down as it's all over the papers. But there are at least 2 glaring errors in the Sun article. He signed in 2010 FFS. Also any new contract would have to be for longer than the present one.

I can sympathize with him a little if he is looking to extend his contract beyond its present term with Saints but he is certainly not doing his legacy as a potential Saints legend any favours here. Do Everton really need another central defender in the senior 30+ age bracket? I would rather keep him than sell him to that mob.

He turns 33 in a couple of weeks. He's been offered a very fair deal and if he wants out then I think we should let him go. He's been colossal for us over the years but it may be time for him to move on and to let VVD take the armband permanently. His best years are behind him

Yoshi has been better than Fonte this season and I really don't think it would be the end of the world if he moved on. Greedy ****.

At 33 his best days are behind and if he won;t take 80K a week he can do one.

Agree just no benefit in it being January.

I don't think it is the money that is at issue, more the length of contract. However, he is only likely to get two year deal elsewhere.

i would give him until end of next week to sign, otherwise tell him that he will see out his contract and at his old wage

I don't think it is the money that is at issue, more the length of contract. However, he is only likely to get two year deal elsewhere.

i would give him until end of next week to sign, otherwise tell him that he will see out his contract and at his old wage

I'm pretty sure you've hit the nail on the head.

The fact we've only offered a rise rather than extension suggests to me the club are worried they'll have the highest paid player sat on the bench in a year with another 2 years of his contract to run.

As massive as he has been for us, at 33 on 22nd December having him sign on 70k+ a week until he's 36 just doesn't make sense. I'm sure he feels he deserves it and it's hard to argue, the club will have to make a tough decision.

They're thinking of the future, with fonte stuck on big wages it could mean FFP stops us from signing his replacement in a year or so.

The bit I'm struggling with is why we're selling him in January, rather than next summer or indeed the one just gone. Have we scouted someone out who couldn't replace him at another time? It would be mad to see out half a season with two senior, fit centre halves.

We've prepared well in one sense by giving Van Dijk games with the armband thoug. We won't miss Fonte nearly as much on the pitch with VVD's leadership, but it will still be a real loss to the club. As the last man standing from the lower leagues I'd have loved to see him lift a trophy for us.

Edited by DuncanRG

My worry is this has come on the back of stories Virgil could trigger a release clause and leave in January too. Hopefully Reed would be fully aware of this possibility and has replacements lined up but they would need to settle which takes time we don't have. Jose has been immense for us and it would be a shame if it ended with ill feeling on either side. Had he not done so well with Portugal than this may not have happened - another example of international football doing us no favours. All eyes turn to Reed I suppose.

My worry is this has come on the back of stories Virgil could trigger a release clause and leave in January too. Hopefully Reed would be fully aware of this possibility and has replacements lined up but they would need to settle which takes time we don't have. Jose has been immense for us and it would be a shame if it ended with ill feeling on either side. Had he not done so well with Portugal than this may not have happened - another example of international football doing us no favours. All eyes turn to Reed I suppose.

Just shows we are not a top club but just a staging post for footballers to earn obscene amounts of money when so many people are not and some are on the streets

He turns 33 in a couple of weeks. He's been offered a very fair deal and if he wants out then I think we should let him go. He's been colossal for us over the years but it may be time for him to move on and to let VVD take the armband permanently. His best years are behind him

Yes, I think we have to look at the situation this way.

It’s been a weird situation. The lack of attention for his achievements at Euro 16. The not playing in the EL. His drop in form at the start. Everything smelled like everybody already knew he would leave. But his comments here suggest otherwise, which makes not much sense to me.

But still captain in games he does play!?

I've got to the stage where I am not fazed by the histrionics of the players. I expect the worst, and the worst usually happens. It's life when there is a relentless pursuit of ever more riches. As we are not the highest payers, we will get left behind. It sucks, but so be it.

At the end of the day Fonte probably feels he can get one more big pay day. He'll probably go the same way as our other 'defectors' though and vanish into obscurity at Utd, before ending up at Benfica or Sporting in 18 months. There has obviously been some disagreements in the background, the club often go 'silent' on stuff they're not particularly happy with and boy have they gone silent with Fonte.....

At the end of the day Fonte probably feels he can get one more big pay day. He'll probably go the same way as our other 'defectors' though and vanish into obscurity at Utd, before ending up at Benfica or Sporting in 18 months. There has obviously been some disagreements in the background, the club often go 'silent' on stuff they're not particularly happy with and boy have they gone silent with Fonte.....

Surely this is one player who the club should reach out to. He's been outstanding for club and plus very difficult to replace. If we undertake our defence with our current forward line there's a fine line between mid table and relegation battle.

Jose not kicking a single ball in the Europa is by far the single most baffling thing about this campaign.

I've got to the stage where I am not fazed by the histrionics of the players. I expect the worst, and the worst usually happens. It's life when there is a relentless pursuit of ever more riches. As we are not the highest payers, we will get left behind. It sucks, but so be it.

That's looking at things how you want to. Fonte has proved very loyal over the years and that might not be the case. The sheer amount of players who have left over last few years I think suggests that the club aren't whiter than white.

I'm actually at the point of thinking let him go. He is in the closing stages of his career and has at most only one or two moves after us. I would rather he left to have one last challenge on a bigger stage (not f**king Everton) then simply fade away to the Portuguese league.

He has done us more then proud in the last 6/7 years. We had the best of him, he really helped us get where we are today. I'm not going to let this sour the memory of one of my favourite players. If we are willing to let him go then there must be a replacement in the wings.