Fonte Transfer Rumours

Master Bates

I've seen reports saying there were 2 Man Utd representatives at St Mary's today to finalise an £8m move.

Does anyone more ITK know anything?

I'm gonna assume it's tripe until proved wrong?

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

As we play them on Friday I have no doubt there were Manchester United people at the match. Anything else is pure speculation and probably crap.

He has posted a picture of the PL trophy on his FB with emojis 'love trophies' Reports on Twitter that he wouldn't pose for pictures with a fan. Odd behaviour from our captain

Edited by Pengi

Which food outlet was that?:D

soneone close enough to Les Reed to know exactly what is going on including tranfers but that info is never shared unfortunately. i get the occasional hint and info about less inportant stuff like the colour of the away kit etc. frustrating but i still badger for infor every home game.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/08/14/manchester-united-transfer-news-and-rumours-on-sunday---live-upd/

United open informal talks with Jose Fonte

According to ESPN, Manchester United have opened informal talks with Southampton over a possible deal to sign Jose Fonte.

It has been well reported that Jose Mourinho is keen to add a defensive leader to his back line, and with the acquisition of Leonardo Bonucci looking even more unlikely, the £8m purchase of Fonte appears to be the most feasible option.

Imagine is yoshida was our first choice next to VvD this season

Be immense

Would be a ******* nightmare. Yoshida makes mistakes every game that most of the time lead to goals! He was lucky with a bad back pass yesterday.

What is the point in selling him for the reported £8m?
we are back to players seeing that sulking gets you a move. If the club really did want to set a precedent and let a player rot until the contract is finished so that it warned future players then we should have done it some time ago. As the clubs policy is to develop and sell they are happy for the player to look the bad guy as they take the income in.

on this occasion I think the club would be doing the right thing, Fonte is 32 and deserves a chance at the top table. If it was a lower team then perhaps not, but the chance for him to play for Man Utd, sadly I think it will end like RL.

I think Hutchinson at Sheffield We'd is decent. He is not tall but reminds me of a young John Terry, brave and committed

Get rid the blokes becoming a pain.

Can't see Les Reed being influenced by people becoming bored over the speculation. Fonte is a Saints' player until summer 2018. The club has already made a healthy surplus from transfer deals and doesn't need to sell. I wouldn't rule out Reed bringing in a loan CB if Gardos isn't fit to take over. Fonte could be left to sort himself out or see his career fade away.

Let him go! His playing career is coming to an end, we can replace him with a better and younger player. Plus we will get a decent fee, which is good for a player of his age. He's served us well, so deserves one last big payday before he retires. However, Fonte does need to show respect towards the club and fans, and not act like a ****!

Someone in the pub said yesterday that he has written into his contract that if a club come in with a better offer then he has the choice of whether to take up that offer. If that's true then i guess he's gone and i guess all the other players who just signed extensions have similar clauses.

Ah. Someone in the pub. I spoke with about 10 people in the pub yesterday and got 10 different pieces of info.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Ah. Someone in the pub. I spoke with about 10 people in the pub yesterday and got 10 different pieces of info.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Lol never said it was a piece of info, just a theory as to why it may not be as easy as we think to just tell fonte he ain't going anywhere. Would also explain how we managed to sign these players to longer contracts whichever way the club spin it

As far as I am aware , I can say there WAS interest from Manchester United, but nothing whatsoever from Everton,

which I did say last week.

If there were Manchester United "staff" (in any capacity) at the game with Watford yesterday, I'd be inclined to say that

was more to do with Fridays game more than anything specifically Jose Fonte related.

But, based on what I know about the situation, which is limited, as nobody is really saying anything... I wouldn't say it was entirely impossible.

That being said, the entire thing could just be a game from Mourinho.

From what I understand the situation with Fonte is described as "difficult", but I'm led to believe that is nothing to do with any transfer

speculation as such but more to do with first team squad setup, without getting into any details.

I can't say any more than that.

The club want Jose to stay and so do the fans and from a personal viewpoint I think Jose does aswell.

As far as I am aware , I can say there WAS interest from Manchester United, but nothing whatsoever from Everton,

If there were Manchester United "staff" (in any capacity) at the game with Watford yesterday, I'd be inclined to say that

was more to do with Fridays game more than anything specifically Jose Fonte related.

But, based on what I know about the situation, which is limited, as nobody is really saying anything... I wouldn't say it was entirely impossible.

From what I understand the situation with Fonte is described as "difficult", but I'm led to believe that is nothing to do with any transfer

speculation as such but more to do with first team squad setup, without getting into any details.

The club want Jose to stay and so do the fans and from a personal viewpoint I think Jose does aswell.

Puel doesn't fancy Fonte as a starter???

If Puel thinks Yoshida is better than Fonte,lets get rid of him now (Puel,not Fonte)

'First team squad set up' so he's pi..ed about us selling best players and mane was last straw especially how quick we were to let him go, perhaps like several fans he sees lack of ambition and happy to finish mid table as that this season will bring it more money with new deals that it would say 3 seasons ago getting into champions league

I love Yoshida, he's brilliant.

Just as long as the only time I ever see him is in the background of photos taken at Staplewood.

On the Premier League field of play, the poor guy is a defensive car crash just waiting to happen.

Yoshida had an excellent game yesterday, except for the horrendous back pass. Did you see his last ditch block on Deeney late in the piece which would have been 2-1 Hornets? As for Fonte, post 637 Delmary sums it up well; if he is keen to go for the last glittering pay day let him - he has served the Club well and an 8 million pound fee would be good business at this stage of his career.

Bit worrying if true.

I have a feeing that Fonte will go and that will be another real disappointment not only from the playing perspective, as I think he has improved in recent times and is an excellent reader of the game and a motivating captain, but another example of disloyalty to rival that shown by Ronald Koeman.

There is some suggestion in the media that there was a 'gentleman's agreement' offered as part of Fonte's extended contract.

Really?

A contract is a contract and if the club decided not to honour any part of their obligation then Fonte's agent would be all over it like a rash.

I have two hopes.

First that if he is off then he b*ggars off aboard and we won't have to put up with the chance of him turning up at St Mary's in the future (Man Utd would be slightly more palatable than Everton I have to say)

Second that, in such a scenario, we are able to replace him with another VVD (who is so classy and as a consequence is unlikely to be here next year!!) - or two, as we are already short of a central defender with Gardos permanently injured.

All in all more turmoil when we appear to be short of a striker, a central defender, a taller RB, and possibly a Wanyama replacement, based on yesterday's performance.

We still need a quality midfielder for Wanyama, replacement for Mané and a striker for Pelle.

Our new 23 has replaced Ward-Prowse. Yoshida is no Fonte and almost cost us the game (as he always does) yesterday.

So our new defender should be regarded as a replacement for Yoshida.... But he is clearly not up to it yet or he'd have played yesterday.

So, the last thing we need is Fonte to leave now.

We have not used our £, replaced our mediocre like for like. Our manager has one plan (but it is early days) and that plan is not working. One goal a game plan.

Oh and Redmond. No Mane, a good replacement for ???? He's no Mane, huge gulf in class, he's no Classie or Reid (no robustness and weaker passer, little defending skills). I notice the website is full of false praise for him - YOU CANT BUILD A TEAM AROUND HIM.

We need to KEEP FONTE urgently.

WE NEED TO BUY A STRONG MIDFIELDER (Romeu isn't)

WE NEED A STRONG TARGET MAN STRIKER

(Austin looked clueless)

WE NEED A ROBUST ATTACKING MIDFIELDER

WE NEED PROVEN QUALITY.

BUT BY GOD WE NEED TO KEEP OUR DEFENCE!!!!!!!!

Fonte is Southampton - Redmond is mediocre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He has decided all that in just over a week? More likely as one poster said earlier he doesn't think that the squad has been strengthened.

Possibly. But the window isn't shut yet. If he wasn't starting yesterday because he's thrown a hissy fit over the lack of strength in the team then he's making it even weaker by making himself unavailable for the starting 11!

We still need a quality midfielder for Wanyama, replacement for Mané and a striker for Pelle.

Our new 23 has replaced Ward-Prowse. Yoshida is no Fonte and almost cost us the game (as he always does) yesterday.

So our new defender should be regarded as a replacement for Yoshida.... But he is clearly not up to it yet or he'd have played yesterday.

We have not used our £, replaced our mediocre like for like. Our manager has one plan (but it is early days) and that plan is not working. One goal a game plan.

Oh and Redmond. No Mane, a good replacement for ???? He's no Mane, huge gulf in class, he's no Classie or Reid (no robustness and weaker passer, little defending skills). I notice the website is full of false praise for him - YOU CANT BUILD A TEAM AROUND HIM.

(Austin looked clueless)

WE NEED PROVEN QUALITY.

Wow. Just wow. Or should I say WOW!!!!

(Austin looked clueless)

WE NEED PROVEN QUALITY.

Mental.

Sounds to me he doesn't like the new system and doesn't think Puel is a good appointment.

You need to get your hearing tested then.

Yoshida had an excellent game yesterday, except for the horrendous back pass. Did you see his last ditch block on Deeney late in the piece which would have been 2-1 Hornets? As for Fonte, post 637 Delmary sums it up well; if he is keen to go for the last glittering pay day let him - he has served the Club well and an 8 million pound fee would be good business at this stage of his career.

And that sums up exactly what's wrong with Yoshida. He can be great for 89 minutes but pretty much every time he plays he makes a sloppy mistake that gifts the opposition a chance. It's happened every season he's been here so it's something that isn't going to go away I'm afraid. It's a shame as he seems like a good guy who likes it here but he really shouldn't be even our third choice these days.

As for all the business experts. You don't win trophies for being the most profitable transfer club every season. We've racked in enough money this summer, selling Fonte would be ridiculous for business reasons.

Whats the point in selling him when you will only get £8m

To find a prem ready defender that can come straight in will cost you £15m-£20m if not more,and we all know we won't go above £12m ,the club should be looking at that anyway as we have the biggest season ahead this club has seen and we have VVD & Yoshida as the current 1st choice (currently)

Keep Fonte and buy another defender to get through the games,because if VVD or Fonte become injured we are screwed.

Fonte's organisation of the defence is what made us top 10. Anyone failing to recognise that hasn't been paying attention. His age is irrelevant To that skill and isn't something that we are likely to be able to just go out and buy and immediately set to work. If Fonte goes this season and we once again don't replace him I dare say it will be all about getting survival first and foremost this year.

we have to make him stay. Just say no to any bid.

who cares if we get £8m for him?

At this stage the answer should be "no- not going anywhere".

Despite his age, £8m is derisory for a player of his quality and experience. £15-20m perhaps we should think about it, subject of course to having a replacement* secured. Or if its Man Utd then a swap for Schneiderlin perhaps? (okay, no chance of it happening).

Replacement being a quality CB, not relying on Yoshida, or bringing in one of Claude's old cronies from a previous club.

At this stage the answer should be "no- not going anywhere".

Despite his age, £8m is derisory for a player of his quality and experience. £15-20m perhaps we should think about it, subject of course to having a replacement* secured. Or if its Man Utd then a swap for Schneiderlin perhaps? (okay, no chance of it happening).

Replacement being a quality CB, not relying on Yoshida, or bringing in one of Claude's old cronies from a previous club.

If Ashley Williams is worth £12 million then Fonte, who's basically the same age, should be worth at least as much if not more.

From what I hear, he is off.

Well if he is and we don't replace him adequately we can all look forward to a relegation battle. Absolute suicide to just let the captain go at this stage, who organises the defence so well, and have Yoshida as first choice.

Well if he is and we don't replace him adequately we can all look forward to a relegation battle. Absolute suicide to just let the captain go at this stage, who organises the defence so well, and have Yoshida as first choice.

Exactly, I'm not even comfortable with Yoshida in the squad.