Fonte Transfer Rumours

Master Bates

he might not. I would assume a new deal could be just a pay rise at least (or any change in terms)

“There’s no contract on the table,” said Fonte. “It is what it is, there’s nothing on the table that I didn’t sign. There was nothing there, to be honest. There was in the summer, they offered me a pay rise. They didn’t offer me a new contract.

“They offered me a pay rise which I’m entitled to discuss with my agent and entitled to say no to as well. I’m entitled to have my own opinion, so apart from that that’s it.”

Jose makes the distinction between pay rise and new contract.

Fonte based on form this season is replaceable, Virgil would be a large large hole to fill if he went in the summer as well.

We cannot to afford to loose another player of manes calibre especially one that's just signed a new contract if he goes this summer I think fans would really be entitled to say we lack ambition & are just a selling club

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

We cannot to afford to loose another player of manes calibre especially one that's just signed a new contract if he goes this summer I think fans would really be entitled to say we lack ambition & are just a selling club

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Waaaaahhhhhhh. Waaaaaahhhhh. Waaaahhhhhh. It's so unfair. Waaaaahhhhhhh.

You'd better get used to it mush as it's how the club is set up.

It's been explained many times.

Just shows we are not a top club but just a staging post for footballers to earn obscene amounts of money when so many people are not and some are on the streets

As opposed to the top clubs... where footballers earn even more obscene amounts of money blah blah... your logic is all over the place here.

Yes but I assume it was of the same length as the original. By 'new', Fonte probably means longer.

All ties in with what Crab Lungs said in the summer - new deal offered, but he hadn't agreed to it.

Makes sense for Saints to offer more money due to the new TV deal and pretty much everyone's money increasing, but not a longer contract, because we all know he's on the edge of the cliff as far as performance and recovery go.

Overall I think we'll already have our Fonte replacement lined up (Wimmer makes sense in this context, but if it's him, it'll be a bonus if Spurs don't drop into the Europa League as if we make the round of 32 he won't be cup-tied then either even if he's played CL). Can't see us allowing Van Dijk to go in the summer unless the Fonte replacement beds in rapidly, we don't go offering long extended deals to people we are prepared to sell in the next year.

Edited by The9

Waaaaahhhhhhh. Waaaaaahhhhh. Waaaahhhhhh. It's so unfair. Waaaaahhhhhhh.

You'd better get used to it mush as it's how the club is set up.

It's been explained many times.

Indeed it has but the hard of thinking still don't get it. A bit like the world of punditry and the written media which scratches its head endlessly trying to work out how we do it

All ties in with what Crab Lungs said in the summer - new deal offered, but he hadn't agreed to it.

Makes sense for Saints to offer more money due to the new TV deal and pretty much everyone's money increasing, but not a longer contract, because we all know he's on the edge of the cliff as far as performance and recovery go.

Overall I think we'll already have our Fonte replacement lined up (Wimmer makes sense in this context, but if it's him, it'll be a bonus if Spurs don't drop into the Europa League as if we make the round of 32 he won't be cup-tied then either even if he's played CL). Can't see us allowing Van Dijk to go in the summer unless the Fonte replacement beds in rapidly, we don't go offering long extended deals to people we are prepared to sell in the next year.

The thing about Wimmer is he only signed a new 5 year deal with Spuds a few months ago. Now whilst he may have fallen out of favour, he would surely cost more than the rumoured 6 million.

The thing about Wimmer is he only signed a new 5 year deal with Spuds a few months ago. Now whilst he may have fallen out of favour, he would surely cost more than the rumoured 6 million.

Yeah, I don't think he's particularly great or anything at the moment tbh, and I have some concerns about our ability to coach improvement in young centre backs generally, but our policy (based on the Long signing) seems to be to sign players high up the list when they're available.

“There’s no contract on the table,” said Fonte. “It is what it is, there’s nothing on the table that I didn’t sign. There was nothing there, to be honest. There was in the summer, they offered me a pay rise. They didn’t offer me a new contract.

“They offered me a pay rise which I’m entitled to discuss with my agent and entitled to say no to as well. I’m entitled to have my own opinion, so apart from that that’s it.”

Jose makes the distinction between pay rise and new contract.

I'm struggling to think of an upside to saying no to a pay rise if it is not linked to an extension. Unless it impacts his family tax credits threshold

If Fonte lasts to the end of the 2017/18 season, he would be the 10th oldest outfield player to play for Saints whilst we have been a Premier League team.

Offering him a pay rise was the right decision. A contract extension would be premature.

(Peter Reid, Chris Woods, Le Saux, Mark Hughes, Kevin Moore, Kevin Richardson, Terry Hurlock, Chris Marsden & Ken Monkou the 9 to have played in the Premier League at an older age)

Edited by Nolan
Duplicate

I'm struggling to think of an upside to saying no to a pay rise if it is not linked to an extension. Unless it impacts his family tax credits threshold

The pay rise isn't what he wants. He wants a contract extension, presumably on top of the pay rise as well.

The pay rise isn't what he wants. He wants a contract extension, presumably on top of the pay rise as well.

I get that but if same position in all other things and no additional clause other than more pay why not take it?

Fonte is like a 2003 BMW 3 series - he's reliable, still looks good but has a lot of mileage

Ultimately and unfortunately for him (& us fans) his value has depreciated and he is no longer any value to the club and its selling policy

Club would prefer to buy a 2014 CAT D or C BMW do it up and flog it for a few £'s

Davis will be next for this treatment

because he's old and not very good any more

Fonte was overall pretty great last season and did well at the Euros. The few extra months added to his age don't suddenly make him too old. I would say his drop in form has more to do with commitment/disappointment.

$5M isn't much for a big club to buy a decent back-up option, even at his age.

As opposed to the top clubs... where footballers earn even more obscene amounts of money blah blah... your logic is all over the place here.

Have you just come on here to be nasty and not particularly nice I thought this was a forum to discuss Saints

What actually is wrong with my logic

Well you could turn around and ask why is he after another contract having signed an extension this time last year? https://southamptonfc.com/news/2015-10-16/fonte-signs-new-deal-until-2018

Don't feel so sorry for him now, somebody should remind him of that on Instagram shouting his mouth off.

Fair enough he's not happy on not getting Europa game time though, that's not on.

By the way do you know what the word logic means as your post makes no sense at all but your next post does which I fully agree with

I think a lot depends on where Fonte sees his career going in 5 or 10 years when he has hung his boots up. As a Centre Back I agree that a contract extension is a bit premature but a pay rise is very justified. A longer contract for an older player only makes sense if he intends to coach with the club and work his way up in that direction. I could well see Fonte wanting to go into management.

Interesting that Le Tiss has just said on Soccer Saturday that there's more to this than meets the eye. That he's heard Jose hasn't acted like a captain behind the scenes . Said he's telling half truths on social media and may have had his head turned. Phil Thompson said " he has had his head turned, offers have been made".

Interesting that Le Tiss has just said on Soccer Saturday that there's more to this than meets the eye. That he's heard Jose hasn't acted like a captain behind the scenes . Said he's telling half truths on social media and may have had his head turned. Phil Thompson said " he has had his head turned, offers have been made".

Adam Blackmore said something interesting in the pre-match build up on Solent prior to the HBS match.

He said he saw Jorge Mendes (agent of Fonte) heading into Staplewood to speak with Les Reed.

This was just before Fonte spouted off on Social Media about not getting the contract.

Simple fact is, you deal with Jorge Mendes and this is likely to happen. Not sure whether Fonte always had him as his agent, but in future, I wouldn't bother signing one of his players, not that we can afford many of them in the first place.

Was glad that the club didn't suddenly change their policy and put him in vs HBS (although we might have won if he was playing). Will be interesting to see if he starts tomorrow.

Simple fact is, you deal with Jorge Mendes and this is likely to happen. Not sure whether Fonte always had him as his agent, but in future, I wouldn't bother signing one of his players, not that we can afford many of them in the first place.

Was glad that the club didn't suddenly change their policy and put him in vs HBS (although we might have won if he was playing). Will be interesting to see if he starts tomorrow.

Why might we have won? Romeu was responsible for the only goal we conceded.

That's a tad harsh.

The only thing in this saga that annoys me, is the way that he signed in October 2015 and within a year (more like 9 months), that is no longer good enough.

100% agree. If he hadnt been in the Portugal Euro squad he would still be happy picking up his thousands a week and think nothing of it. He seems a changed man since the summer

100% agree. If he hadnt been in the Portugal Euro squad he would still be happy picking up his thousands a week and think nothing of it. He seems a changed man since the summer
I was really pleased for him when he won the Euros, now I'd rather he hadn't played. Typical of what happens when players get international call-ups, but thought Jose was more committed than that, obviously not! I think he's kidding himself if he thinks he's going to play too many games as a 33 year old at any big club. He's made plenty of mistakes this season, other clubs might have dropped their interest.