Fonte Transfer Rumours

Master Bates

I think I can feel how this is going to end. FFS!

Does have that feeling doesn't! I really hope that this time it isn't the same old same old it would be nice to have Jose come out and rubbish it but that doesn't seem to be the way things work these days! He's been a great servant of the club and if he goes I sure hope it is to United or abroad loosing him to Everton would be a bit of a kick in the teeth! Hoping we asked for plenty more than 9 mil if there are s few clubs sniffing around!

...........The Portugal international signed a revised three-year contract last October on the condition that the club would not stand in his way should he receive a superior offer from elsewhere.......

if this quote is true, what more could the club be expected to do, should he want to go.

...........The Portugal international signed a revised three-year contract last October on the condition that the club would not stand in his way should he receive a superior offer from elsewhere.......

if this quote is true, what more could the club be expected to do, should he want to go.

Now that depends on the detail of the agreement ie was there a fee in there that would trigger it if not the club are at liberty to negotiate the best possible price, but honestly who knows I guess tomorrow will let us know if this is a storm in a teacup or goodbye to the last member of the league one team, club captain and legend.

Please let it not be Everton and let it be a shed load more than 9mil!

Now that depends on the detail of the agreement ie was there a fee in there that would trigger it if not the club are at liberty to negotiate the best possible price, but honestly who knows I guess tomorrow will let us know if this is a storm in a teacup or goodbye to the last member of the league one team, club captain and legend.

Please let it not be Everton and let it be a shed load more than 9mil!

It's ok many on here have stated we don't do release clauses!

Well we haven't before, what we have done is gentleman agreements ie Morgan and wanyama by the sounds of it this is something similar but we will have to wait and see! It's a crazy world football I would have put money on Fonte staying at the end of last season by I didn't expect him to star for Portugal while they won the euros and I never though man Utd would be sniffing round 32 year old defenders with 10 million quid in hand! Really goes to show you can't predict anything in footy these days!

Well we haven't before, what we have done is gentleman agreements ie Morgan and wanyama by the sounds of it this is something similar but we will have to wait and see! It's a crazy world football I would have put money on Fonte staying at the end of last season by I didn't expect him to star for Portugal while they won the euros and I never though man Utd would be sniffing round 32 year old defenders with 10 million quid in hand! Really goes to show you can't predict anything in footy these days!

We have set a precedent for people leaving our club to follow their dreams..who could blame Fonte for wanting to join Man Utd now..who at the club could say.."hold on we make people stick to contracts and see them out?" Fonte has seen so many progress that I can't see how we would be able to stop him if he wanted to go...

Hopefully he is happy and will stay or maybe Man Utd will get another of their targets so it's not an option for him!

Well we don't. It's not people "on here", it's a fact.

Unless you can name some players we've sold via a release clause during the Leibherr era, of course. Crack on.

Fonte has had his head turned just like the rest of them.

Dont blame him cashing in on his success from the euro's and getting himself a bumper pay at the same time.

I honestly don't think Reed is going to stop him joining a fellow Portuguese at UTD after serving us so well for 6 years.

Well we don't. It's not people "on here", it's a fact.

Unless you can name some players we've sold via a release clause during the Leibherr era, of course. Crack on.

Morgan and Wanyama..sorry you lured me in there and I fell for it!

I don't know and never stated that we have definitely..you stated we didn't ..I said (in previous posts) I think we may have but never that we did have!

However it is clear we had an agreement with both those I named about leaving the following summer.

Edited by Saint-Fred

Dont blame him cashing in on his success from the euro's and getting himself a bumper pay at the same time.

I honestly don't think Reed is going to stop him joining a fellow Portuguese at UTD after serving us so well for 6 years.

I am not sure we can say he has had his head turned yet as its only a paper report at this stage? But I agree if that offer comes in for him, how could he not "have his head turned"..as many have said we are a stepping stone to bigger things..we offer people that step up to champions league and they say it's one of our biggest selling points for getting people in...

That must apply to every member of the squad..the issue for me is Fontes age..we can't say one more year, as the offer may not be there next year and yet we have already sold our quota, where we would normally bring the trap door down?

Again hopefully Man U will land another target!

Morgan and Wanyama..sorry you lured me in there and I fell for it!

I don't know and never stated that we have definitely..you stated we didn't ..I said (in previous posts) I think we may have but never that we did have!

Who "may" we have sold via a release clause then?

Who "may" we have sold via a release clause then?

I don't know the details of the contracts which is why I have never stated it as fact.

Can you please give details of the contracts which you know as fact, prove that we don't have any please.

As soon as you do this I will be happy to admit my mistake in assuming it was a possibility.

I don't know the details of the contracts which is why I have never stated it as fact.

Can you please give details of the contracts which you know as fact, prove that we don't have any please.

As soon as you do this I will be happy to admit my mistake in assuming it was a possibility.

You're pretty special, I'll give you that.

For all the players we've sold for the last, what, six years, in every report, from the official site to any journalist, and deals through multiple agents brokers and football clubs, for high fees and low fees, not once has any release clause been mentioned by anyone. Not once.

Yeah, okay I need to do like proper evidence to convince you don't I and stuff and that.

I'll repeat the question I asked, first: who "may" we have sold via a release clause?

Whenever you're ready.

From Landford Saint on the contracts thread:

Fonte is not going.

He is a family man, a settled situation, a son happy in a local school, and a wife and younger child happy at home.

He can't really believe the 'luck' that has come his way so late in his career, and he is more than content with his life here in Wiltshire, ( and work life in Hampshire).

He has a career available to him at Staplewood when he hangs his boots up.

Of course money changes everything, but, Money ISN'T everything.

Man Utd is interesting, but you would have to think carefully about it. While it could of course happen with us, Utd will spit him out and discard him without hesitation when he is viewed surplus to requirement. You just have to look at Lambert to see what's what. [i do wonder with hindsight, whether SRL would have gone to Liverpool if he knew how it would end?]. Landford brings up a bit that few seem to take into consideration - family. Also post playing career might be important as well. Then again, he might well want to return to Portugal.

You don't know that so stop maligning the guy. Why would he have his head turned at 32 he's as mature as you if not more so. At least he won't surrender at the first sound of gunfire unlike so many on here!

He's not even back from holiday yet and this is only a rumour. For goodness sake cut Jose some slack, apart from Kelvin he is the most loyal player we have had in the team for years. Do you not think that the affection in which he is held by fans, holding our Captaincy, playing with Virgil and his excellent relations with every one at the club count for nothing?

You don't know that so stop maligning the guy. Why would he have his head turned at 32 he's as mature as you if not more so. At least he won't surrender at the first sound of gunfire unlike so many on here!

He's not even back from holiday yet and this is only a rumour. For goodness sake cut Jose some slack, apart from Kelvin he is the most loyal player we have had in the team for years. Do you not think that the affection in which he is held by fans, holding our Captaincy, playing with Virgil and his excellent relations with every one at the club count for nothing?

I thought that about *insert name of several players*

How can Fonte turn down a £40000wk pay rise if he has an offer?

Technically speaking he shouldn't even be speaking to them before we give permission although I'm aware that's not how this works.

The Everton thread was fun, all the sarcastic comments about us being a huge club. Christ the toffees have a chip.

Edited by farawaysaint
He's in their general cb thread.

Fonte leaving would be a disaster if you ask me and we will have to dig deep in our pockets to get someone that's close to his level.

Just look at how much trouble other clubs have with getting good CB's in, there aren't many available.

I would understand if Fonte wants his big payday but I'm not liking it no matter how big the fee

Fonte leaving would be a disaster if you ask me and we will have to dig deep in our pockets to get someone that's close to his level.

Just look at how much trouble other clubs have with getting good CB's in, there aren't many available.

I would understand if Fonte wants his big payday but I'm not liking it no matter how big the fee

Did I read somewhere that the fee was quoted as just £9M?

Im sure i read somewhile ago that he wanted to finish his career in Portugal. Funny that there were rumours of him going to Cardiff a season or so ago. I cant recall too many complaints then and as for Simon Jordan(?) scoffing that we had paid far too much for him

Doesn't Fonte have the same agent as Mourinho?

That would be the easiest transfer to complete if Utd really are interested.

I want Jose to stay, but I'd be far happier to see him at United than I would Everton. (If he truly has to leave)

Sounds like his agent his 'creating' interest again to get another deal on the table!

Especially if the new contracts agreed with other players mean Fonte is no longer the highest-paid player in the squad.

It might well be a bit of manoeuvering on the agent's part to maintain Fonte's status.

Just because a player is on holiday it doesn't mean that discussions are put on hold. People don't live in isolation these days, and that's why players have agents, they delegate these sort of negotiations to them.

It's farcical and naieve to think that aspiring buyers approach the clubs first to ask for permission to talk to a player. That's just a formality and if Saints issue a statement that United/Everton/Spartak Moscow have been given permission to talk to him, then you know the deal has already been done.

Personally think he's easily replaceable, we have a good record of signing CB's in recent years Lovren, Toby and VVD. Fonts is full of mistakes and will hugely out of his depth at United, if we could get someone at the same level as any of the other 3 we'd be better I think.

I know money talks, and there's no smoke without fire, but I'll stick my neck out and say I'd be extremely surprised if he left Saints. He's 32, he already earns great money (which can get better if rumours of a new contract are true) and he's captain and well respected within the club. He's part of a very good and completely settled back 5 (I'm including Cedric in that rather than Martina), and as he's shown, he can still achieve top honours in the national game despite playing for little old Saints.

He doesn't seem the sort that would be looking for that big money move. (Mind you we didn't think that about Koeman either before the big money got wafted in his face.) This smacks of agent talk to me.

We'll all feel more confident when the Euro lot return IMO.

Personally think he's easily replaceable, we have a good record of signing CB's in recent years Lovren, Toby and VVD. Fonts is full of mistakes and will hugely out of his depth at United, if we could get someone at the same level as any of the other 3 we'd be better I think.

I think this is just a tad naive tbh. The bloke is our defensive lynch pin and just proven he's one of the best centre backs in Europe.

oh dear!....What a Clunge