More New Contracts?

Katalinic

its a new age when only selling 3 players and keeping the rest is a sign of ambition

It's a sign of realism. Whether you like it or not that is the model and Saints do it very well. It isn't going to change so you may as well get used to it rather than moaning about it.

Batman - you truly are a piece of work. Don't you wish we were Everton or Stoke......in fact, why don't you bugger off and support them?

So what would you class as a sign of ambition? Keeping Wanyama and letting him go on a free next season? Keeping Mane and getting a low value next year when he clearly would not sign a new contract? Keep your mate Pelle who is at the tail end of his career and not got almost double what we paid for him (not to mention him getting a 260K per year contract)?

Every time you post trash like this it makes you look like a complete tool.

It's a sign of realism. Whether you like it or not that is the model and Saints do it very well. It isn't going to change so you may as well get used to it rather than moaning about it.

not moaning about it, but dont see it as 'ambition' like what is being spun by the club.

Frankly with the exception of Forster, Bertrand and VVD, the others wouldn't be in massive demand. And even with those in demand, most have recently signed contracts, so its not a massive stretch to add an extra year in return for a likely significant pay rise. Would be a different matter if some were entering the last year or two of their contracts.

1.5 out of 10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cedric signed 12 months ago and fonte signed a new deal 9 months ago

hardly ambition keeping them both is it. Good news that we are seemingly not going to sell them, granted

Batman - you truly are a piece of work. Don't you wish we were Everton or Stoke......in fact, why don't you bugger off and support them?

So what would you class as a sign of ambition? Keeping Wanyama and letting him go on a free next season? Keeping Mane and getting a low value next year when he clearly would not sign a new contract? Keep your mate Pelle who is at the tail end of his career and not got almost double what we paid for him (not to mention him getting a 260K per year contract)?

1.5 out of 10

Not sure why you're getting so angry, he's right. None of these are significant signs of ambition and dshould just be business as usual really.

cedric signed 12 months ago and fonte signed a new deal 9 months ago

hardly ambition keeping them both is it. Good news that we are seemingly not going to sell them, granted

Of the 3 that were sold 1 you did nothing but whine about bit hypocritical to complain about selling him.

Go on say something good about the club you know you want to.

Your just a poor Alpine wannabee

Of the 3 that were sold 1 you did nothing but whine about bit hypocritical to complain about selling him.

Go on say something good about the club you know you want to.

Your just a poor Alpine wannabee

either way, giving new deals to players who have signed within the last 12 months is good news...but 'ambition'

the club do well in spinning news like this

Batman may be a tool, but to consider what we have done is a sign of ambition is just plain stupid. Selling 4 players (Juanmi was forgotten but we had already signed Pelle's replacement), losing 2 keepers (one through loan and one through retirement), losing one other squad player due to his contract running down, losing a successful manager and coaching team, signing 2 players and getting others to sign replacement contracts is hardly the mark of an ambitious club is it. Take off the rose tinted spectacles, we are working to a model that has worked so far, but no gaurantee that it will continue. We no longer have a player that puts bums on seats (or these days gets bums off of seats). There is still a month to go until the transfer window closes, but to make out we are clearly showing ambition is just laughable to anyone who does not kowtow to the current board and think the sun shines out of their arses.

Not sure why you're getting so angry, he's right. None of these are significant signs of ambition and dshould just be business as usual really.

I'm not angry, totally calm in the belief that the board know what they are doing.

not moaning about it, but dont see it as 'ambition' like what is being spun by the club.

Ambition is a feeling not a fact. You can't define your version as the truth and it's a bit tiresome coming on here and seeing you repeat it again and again.

Adam Leitch suggesting so on Twitter, "Another 3 new contract offers as #saintsfc show more ambition.Extended deals for Tadic&Cedric.Pay rise for Fonte so he is a top earner again"
I wonder which deals have made Fonte no longer the highest paid? Bertrand, Forster, Van Dijk, maybe Austin even.

Explain to me, in easy terms, how we could have kept VW, SM or GP? Don't give the bullsh_it of "pay them more" as that's the argument of morons.

that is not the point I am making

just saying it is a new age when giving players who have signed in the last 12 months new deals is seen as 'ambition'

neither of them are within the last year of their current deals like those you mention....any of them would be sold if we got a mane type of offer.

good news, yes. Ambition. err, no

Who's said they don't know what they're doing?

It is clearly being inferred on this and a number of other threads by certain individuals - mostly without any realistic alternative suggestions of how, in their view, the club should be showing "ambition".

Look at those jumping on the 'ambition' at the club it was mentioned by a local journalist so why get bothered by it?

Yes it's good but they haven't signed it yet.

My sign of ambition would be for us to strengthen our creativity and we have 30+ days left.

Look at those jumping on the 'ambition' at the club it was mentioned by a local journalist so why get bothered by it?

Yes it's good but they haven't signed it yet.

My sign of ambition would be for us to strengthen our creativity and we have 30+ days left.

I assume you are dismissing this news anyway. being a local journo from the Daily Echo etc

It is clearly being inferred on this and a number of other threads by certain individuals - mostly without any realistic alternative suggestions of how, in their view, the club should be showing "ambition".

Not on this thread it's not. The point being made, which is correct, is the contracts are no significant statement or suggestion of ambition.

Austin on £100k a week apparently due to his "low" fee. Obviously there will be some signings especially a forward and a couple of keepers. I expect things to happen now the tours are done and all back to Staplewood. I was told that the manager recommends a player to one person (don't know exactly who, Les Reed or the Recruitment guy) he puts the name to the analysts who vigorously check his background (and his family etc.) and then if all OK the one person makes the final decision. Seems like the old Harry type of business is long gone, everything now is more drawn out.

It didn't bother me either way but does you obviously

fair enough. you seemed so sure the other day..

Ah the oracle of truth the Daily Echo.....I think I will do as always and ignore that then.

Austin on £100k a week apparently due to his "low" fee. Obviously there will be some signings especially a forward and a couple of keepers. I expect things to happen now the tours are done and all back to Staplewood. I was told that the manager recommends a player to one person (don't know exactly who, Les Reed or the Recruitment guy) he puts the name to the analysts who vigorously check his background (and his family etc.) and then if all OK the one person makes the final decision. Seems like the old Harry type of business is long gone, everything now is more drawn out.
No he is not. A large part of his wage is bonus related. He has said so himself in private.

I think the club are seemingly using the increased TV revenue and sponsorship's to tie down the core of our team. That is showing ambition as far as I'm concerned - long term.

This was as you say Clarkey, the new direction that club were taking, imo anyway! Still a month to go before window shuts! A 'Mane' equivalent, ie left field signing, and a n other and that will be a pretty useful window I reckon

Usually the club tends to leak this stuff to pet journalists only on occasions where the player doesn't want to sign them. Bertrand, vvd and Forster were very much out of nowhere, but there were always stories from connected journalists about Wanyama, Clyne, Mane, Koeman and the like being offered deals and we know how they turned out...

anyway, got to hand it to Fonte's agent (who ever it is)

only signed a new deal in October and the last few days we have seen stories about moves to Moscow and even Man United.

Conte's agent is Jorge Mendes. Same agent as Mourinho and Cristiano Ronaldo.

its a new age when only selling 3 players and keeping the rest is a sign of ambition

Batman is underestimating the scale of the problem since we sold Juanmi too.

Of course, it is ambition. These are players that a few years ago would have been kept on lower pay further into the contract thereby increasing the chances that they would have had to be sold and for less money. It shows an intent to keep the team together or make the richer clubs pay more money to break it up again. That more money can (and probably will) be used to sign better new players.

Batman may be a tool, but to consider what we have done is a sign of ambition is just plain stupid. Selling 4 players (Juanmi was forgotten but we had already signed Pelle's replacement), losing 2 keepers (one through loan and one through retirement), losing one other squad player due to his contract running down, losing a successful manager and coaching team, signing 2 players and getting others to sign replacement contracts is hardly the mark of an ambitious club is it. Take off the rose tinted spectacles, we are working to a model that has worked so far, but no gaurantee that it will continue. We no longer have a player that puts bums on seats (or these days gets bums off of seats). There is still a month to go until the transfer window closes, but to make out we are clearly showing ambition is just laughable to anyone who does not kowtow to the current board and think the sun shines out of their arses.

There is no guarantee that any particular model will always work but this model seems like the most plausible model to work for a club in Southampton's position.

I am puzzled as to what the people who think we should show more ambition want to see. Sure, Ms. Liebherr could put 10 to 15 million pounds of her money into the club each year which would allow us to buy one more player in our price range each summer, but it doesn't seem like we are hurting for one more such player (except in 2014-2015 when it would have been nice to have one more goal keeper). With Gazzaniga out on loan, we have 4 openings in the squad. Given our 6 guaranteed games in Europe, it seems unlikely we will go into the year with that many openings and without a qualified back up at goal. However, unlike last summer, we have three rather than eight games before the end of August, so there is less of a rush to buy new players right now. Signing current players to extended contracts once we know they meet the approval of our new manager is a perfectly reasonable higher priority.

I wonder which deals have made Fonte no longer the highest paid? Bertrand, Forster, Van Dijk, maybe Austin even.

I don't think he was ever the top earner. The quoted tweet says "a top earner". Since goal scores tend to be better paid I would guess that Austin and Long are the two top earners--remember we had to kind of over pay Long just to get him here because he had just signed a new contract with Hull before we bought him so he is now two raises beyond what Hull had to pay him to move from West Brom. Plus we got him cheap so there was more money for him.

Not on this thread it's not. The point being made, which is correct, is the contracts are no significant statement or suggestion of ambition.

Something is certainly being inferred even if it was not intentionally being implied. But there is still the unanswered question of how the club should being showing ambition in a realistic way that it is not already doing. The only suggested answer I saw was to get more creativity into the club with an acknowledgement that there were still 30 days to do it. Does anyone have a better or different answer?

You are a a far bigger tool than Batman. HTH

Something is certainly being inferred even if it was not intentionally being implied. But there is still the unanswered question of how the club should being showing ambition in a realistic way that it is not already doing. The only suggested answer I saw was to get more creativity into the club with an acknowledgement that there were still 30 days to do it. Does anyone have a better or different answer?

I'd saying buying proven quality and not just good potential.

"Kowtow to the current board"

What an effing plank you are.