Jeremy Pied Joins - 2 Year Deal (Official)

SO16_Saint

was Pied the one complaining about us giving a derisory offer?

Yes.

Well, this bodes (not) well. Plus only a two year contract. Looks to me like he has heard of our stepping stone reputation.....Oh well, perhaps we will get one good season out of him as he does his best to showcase himself. I find it difficult to get excited about this signing.

I hope I'm wrong again. I was wrong once, back in 1978.......I suppose that might happen again. ;)

I'd loan Targett to Newcastle, with the option of recalling at any point though.

Literally against the rules. There are no more emergency loans and players can only be recalled during transfer windows now (not that the Premier League rules have changed).

:lol::lol::lol:.....Sorry, I lost it after the first 5 words.

I'm always happy to give any new player a chance. However, some give me higher expectations than others. It's just the way life works.

How did you feel about:

- Mane

- Steven Davis

- Graziano

- Ryan Bertrand

Don't bothering answering, I think I've made my point.

I will bother answering. I was excited about all those signings except for Davis. The only reason for not being excited about Davis was because he did what he always does....slips under the radar in order to make a surprise attack.

I am normally very optimistic, however, in the case of this player, it does not look like he will be a positive influence.....As I said before, I hope I'm wrong!!

Opinions are like buttholes. Everyone has one, but mine are more open.......er.....Hold on.....let me get back to you on this.

Edited by Ohio Saint

He's been bought in as a squad player to offer cover. As far as I know he's not a cousin of a former African Player of the Year and therefore should be of some benefit / positive impact to the football club.

and also blocking the path of players like Reed and Hesketh. We either have a pth for youth to the first team or we dont. Atm we seem to just want to pretend we do.

and also blocking the path of players like Reed and Hesketh. We either have a pth for youth to the first team or we dont. Atm we seem to just want to pretend we do.

I suppose McCarthy is also blocking the path of players like Reed and Hesketh? I haven't YET seen either of them play in any of the positions Pied plays. Now if you'd said Valery, you might have an argument.

I suppose McCarthy is also blocking the path of players like Reed and Hesketh? I haven't YET seen either of them play in any of the positions Pied plays. Now if you'd said Valery, you might have an argument.

Pied plays as often in midfield as at RB.

Good acquistion this one. Obviously knows Puel. We need the squad depth for this upcoming season as we will be in four competitions. He's a versatile player and is a winner (like he says in the youtube interview). That's good enough for me. Welcome onboard Jeremy.

Yes.

Turns out 'derisory' was better than the other offers he didnt get.

ie or no other offers... despite the WHU public link...

Well, this bodes (not) well. Plus only a two year contract. Looks to me like he has heard of our stepping stone reputation.....Oh well, perhaps we will get one good season out of him as he does his best to showcase himself. I find it difficult to get excited about this signing.

I hope I'm wrong again. I was wrong once, back in 1978.......I suppose that might happen again. ;)

Do you mean 1975 ? That's the last time I recalll a rb arriving on a free - Peter Rodrigues, and that turned out okay.

Yes we need a good squad, but it seems we now have three rb's not sure we have a first choice though, but wait to see who picks up the mantle, should be Cedric.

The way I see it he either thought he should be offered longer than 2 years and that was the derisory part, OR he accepted the lower-than-expected wages but on a shorter contract so he can move on soon if he gets a better offer.

He in fact doesn't - not over his career to date. As to blocking anyone's path I could suggest quite reasonably that having a decent reserve right back should mean we are more able to be flexible about other positions when other people are missing and that this might well improve the chances of Reed and certainly Hesketh getting chances in the first team.

Jeremy, vous êtes les bienvenus à Southampton et nous nous réjouissons beaucoup de vous voir jouer dans les rayures rouges et blanches

(et en anglais: Jeremy, you are most welcome in Southampton and we look forward very much to seeing you play in the red and white stripes).

McQueen has looked questionable at best at LB from what I've seen preseason - it's all well and good telling them they need to get forward, and he's very good at that as it's his much more familiar position - but when you're sprinting out of the back line to press the ball and leaving a 20 yard gap behind you like he did a couple of times against Groningen, that's beginner stuff and needs to be sorted quickly.

The Targett loan is a weird one, he's already a good squad player, and we'd want him to cover Bertrand. I guess not having a 3-5-2 this season hurts his chances of starting a lot, and the club may have decided 30+ matches in the Championship is more useful to us in the longer term.

Not if you've been told to do and that you'll be covered by midfield.

Not if you've been told to do and that you'll be covered by midfield.

Well it bloody well didn't work on Saturday, and you can't reasonably expect Romeu to drop in between the centre backs every time a full back goes chasing up the field into the position of the left sided midfielder for a couple of seconds leaving a huge gap which the opposition can easily exploit with a couple of passes into the gaping space.

Who has said he's bad? let's face it, back up signings aren't very inspiring are they. I'm sure most would think he seems a decent experienced back up option though.

The thing is that no one knows how the signings will work out, thats the point....giving them a chance would be the right thing to do...agree?

I think we all knew that hence the short contract. Every manager likes to have a player or two he knows. Koeman did it with Pelle (among others), Poch did it with Osvaldo and Puel is doing it with Pied no biggie really (as long as he is not a nutter like Osvaldo).

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up a potentially serious knee injury... If so we have to decide whether to either keep Martina, sell him and buy another right back, sell him and loan another right back or sell him and promote the talented Yan Valery to 2nd choice right back!?

Picked up a potentially serious knee injury... If so we have to decide whether to either keep Martina, sell him and buy another right back, sell him and loan another right back or sell him and promote the talented Yan Valery to 2nd choice right back!?

At least he waited a couple of weeks after joining us for his injury , Bouffal is bringing his with him.

I remember him at Lyon, pretty often unavailable even in soft, airy fairy, girlslike football. Plus he really isn't all that good.

Versatile perhaps but only at a certain level.

He's missed 6 games site to injury size 2013

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

confirmed on his twitter he has done his cruiciate ligament

So that's Rodriguez, Forster, Flanagan (twice), Clinton, Seager, Gardos, Slattery, Barnes, Pied in the last couple of years.

Bad luck? Something wrong with the training/conditioning/pitches/boots/medical team?

Seems an awful lot of major knee injuries in a short space of time.

So that's Rodriguez, Forster, Flanagan (twice), Clinton, Seager, Gardos, Slattery, Barnes, Pied in the last couple of years.

Bad luck? Something wrong with the training/conditioning/pitches/boots/medical team?

LES REED YOU ARE A DISGRACE.

I really don't think that we are alone with this problem. Most clubs have players with this complaint, and it's often complicated by a lot of " heavy-training".

The fitness demands on footballers is much greater than it was years ago, and many put in a lot of mileage in the course of many seasons and not just in matches.

Had a knee injury myself years ago and physio told me 80% of his clients were athletes, and that the knee was one of the most complicated joints to heal properly.

I read ..somewhere?..that Eric Black (a teenage prodigy at Aberdeen during Alex Ferguson's time) suffered such after he moved to France and had to retire early.

Ferguson later said that it ws because Black had played too much football when he was younger !...OK - except that it was Fergie who played him so much in his teens.

At any rate that's Pied out for the season, so do we keep Martina?......or sell him to Koeman and buy in another RB?

Edited by david in sweden

Yes indeed. Something wrong with the grass/watering/boots or something. Back in the days of proper football nobody ever knew what a cruciate was.