Bought a lemon

SO16_Saint

So I bought a 2nd hand QQ in February this year. The car was 'serviced' and a new MOT was put on it.

I had a Service carried out yesterday and turns out there is roughly £1700 worth of urgent work required:

Front n/s lower ball joint and rear arm bush excess play

O/S lower arm bush worn

CV boot replacement

Dual Mass Flywheel replacement

We were also sold a warranty with the car, and surprise surprise none of the works are covered under the policy.

Would someone be able to quote a rough cost for the above (our quote was from a [non Nissan] main dealer,) and whether they (the points listed) should have been picked up during the Service and/or MOT?

Thanks!

So I bought a 2nd hand QQ in February this year. The car was 'serviced' and a new MOT was put on it.

I had a Service carried out yesterday and turns out there is roughly £1700 worth of urgent work required:

Front n/s lower ball joint and rear arm bush excess play

O/S lower arm bush worn

CV boot replacement

Dual Mass Flywheel replacement

We were also sold a warranty with the car, and surprise surprise none of the works are covered under the policy.

Would someone be able to quote a rough cost for the above (our quote was from a [non Nissan] main dealer,) and whether they (the points listed) should have been picked up during the Service and/or MOT?

Thanks!

Those warranties aren't worth the paper they're written on. I got one with my hyundai coupe, it needed a fair bit of work despite having a new mot, none of it was covered by the warranty.

Where did you buy the car from?

in all likelihood, the "service" done on the car would have been nothing more than an oil and filter change so, no, none of that would have been picked up.

for what it's worth, how do you know that all that work really needs doing? Do you trust the mechanic?

Where did you buy the car from?

in all likelihood, the "service" done on the car would have been nothing more than an oil and filter change so, no, none of that would have been picked up.

for what it's worth, how do you know that all that work really needs doing? Do you trust the mechanic?

Bought it from a local garage in Southampton, Fremantle sort of way...not gonna name names.

I trust the garage where the service was done. We've bought both new and 2nd hand cars there and had all our services / MOTs there for a few years now.

Those warranties aren't worth the paper they're written on. I got one with my hyundai coupe, it needed a fair bit of work despite having a new mot, none of it was covered by the warranty.

That doesn't surprise me on bit.

Car sales places have it easy. The vast majority of their customers have no mechanical knowledge and they absolutely take advantage imo

Sale of goods act is your friend. Go back to the garage explaining why the car is clearly not up to scratch, and indeed how they got an MOT on something with so many failures. Ask them to put it right, if they refuse (which they will) get legal with them. You have protection from the law in this situation.

Sale of goods act is your friend. Go back to the garage explaining why the car is clearly not up to scratch, and indeed how they got an MOT on something with so many failures. Ask them to put it right, if they refuse (which they will) get legal with them. You have protection from the law in this situation.

You should also have a look at the Small Claims Court.

I had a problem with a local coach company who refused to compensate me for a cock-up on their part. After weeks of back and forth correspondance, I threatened them with the Small Claims Court and they paid up immediately.