Man UTD build up thread

Yorkshire Saint

Austin Jay Rod Højbjerg and hopefully Fonte all come in for Yoshida JWP Romeu and Long or Redmond, reason for Long or Redmond to be dropped is they can not work as one needs a bit of height and strength to hold the ball up specially at OT of which I think Austin would be perfect for, Romeu played well last week but I think let Hojberg play the playmaker/QB holding role to get the ball to Tadic or Jay Rod on the wings would be great, both can cut in and score or whip in a cross to Austin or Long/Redmond.

Also if Bertrand is fit I assume he would come off the bench.

Like most i'd like to see Hojberg in for JWP. We need to keep Long in as his pace will be vital if we are going to get anything there.

The other 2 contentious areas are centre back and right back.

Given how poor cedric was i'd be tempted to start Martina or Pied.

Despite how much difference fonte's leadership would make, i'm rather dubious he'll be fit enough if Cedric's performance is any indicator.

Other thing i'd like to see is the team reverting to 4-2-3-1, though once again this is probably unlikely.

Puel hasn't tested it (at least in a match situation) since he arrived. So the players last used it in May... 4 months ago.

I doubt we'll be changing from the 4-1-2-1-2 system. Ok, we didn't beat Watford, but it worked well in the 2nd half today, especially with Hojbjerg on the pitch.

Did it work well ? They had a man down and sat everything they had just outside their 18 yard box, so I wouldnt of said it worked that well.

That said I agree, I just can't see him going for the 4231 formation, and realistically I don't think he has the men defensively to do it.

It'll be a struggle against what will be a very fluid attacking and well disciplined defensive side with no doubt Ibra, Pogba and Mkhytarian (or however you spell it) eager to perform on their first home match and possibly Mata/Depay etc eager to prove their place.

I cant see anything other than a loss really, and Id say so far Im a little concerned by our strength this year. Definately require a DM to replace Wanyama properly, and a quality attacking midfielder and Striker we have required even when he had Pellè and Manè.

Was looking forward to this year at the end of last season... I really don't know what to expect right now

This.

I honestly have no interest or excitement, at all.

I feel the same to be honest. Sold our best players (again), haven't really brought anyone in to get the fans excited (bar Holberg) and at the moment there are more rumours about us losing more players than there are about us bringing anyone in.

I'm going up to Manchester on Friday and normally I'd be enthusiastic and hopeful of something but having sat through Saturday I'm going up there with a sense of dread and a hope that we can keep the score down.

I always feel a little flat at the start of the season, takes a few weeks to get the excitement flowing again. Once the European draw is out, the excitement will build I'm sure. Plenty to look forward to, but a lot of football fans are still in the summer slumber!

I always feel a little flat at the start of the season, takes a few weeks to get the excitement flowing again. Once the European draw is out, the excitement will build I'm sure. Plenty to look forward to, but a lot of football fans are still in the summer slumber!

Agree with you. Annoyingly, as the season gets going, there is a stupid international break. There is one early sept this year???

Agree with you. Annoyingly, as the season gets going, there is a stupid international break. There is one early sept this year???

Yeah, Sunderland home game....then international's.

Back mid-September, then a two week break in October.

I don't really get into the season until Christmas and beyond tbh.

We had enough torture in the summer from the international teams.

I'm completely non-plussed about the league this season and have been made to feel even more so by the enjoyment I've got from watching honest (apart from the drug cheats), hard working athletes at the Olympics.

However, I am excited by the cups this year - particularly Europe - and I hope we give it everything.

Can see the ST renewal being 50/50 for next year though. There comes a point where investing £600 in a team which you know will be broken up every season starts to feel a little hollow.

Koeman and Poch at least had a better squad and tactical ability to change when required

Koeman took weeks to change a system that wasn't working when we didn't win for ages last season, and Pochettino's biggest criticism was that he had absolutely no plan B, so let's not talk rubbish here... at least Puel can argue he's still getting the players used to a new system and, as last season, there are key players missing in defence, yet unlike last year we didn't comfortably lose at home to a side that'll probably finish in the bottom half.

I do think we'll lose on Friday though, Man U looked a lot less crappy against Bournemouth, they've shipped out all the rubbish kids and signed expensive experienced replacements, and Zlatan looked like he could be an aerial threat at any point even when he wasn't doing anything else. Rooney looked primed to be the bloke Mourinho picks on though, so maybe they won't score... though we've conceded in 13 successive games now, and anything other than Forster/a right back/Fonte/Van Dijk/Bertrand looks weak.

Edited by The9

What will be interesting will be seeing Shaw v Targett so we can compare the two directly and Shaw v Cedric so we can see how the latter copes. It will also be interesting to see if Romeu gets isolated a lot again. We'll also have had another week with the new formation etc, so should slowly be getting better with it.

I see Turnbull has gone and apparently Stephens is slated to go out on loan abroad (cause he's quite a technical player, I believe) - source, other forums.

As for JWP; I'd start him. Because he (and Targett, who is slow, can't defend, tackle well, cross particularly well, kick the ball well - he looks as though he has a tight adductor because he always slices the ball, never hits it cleanly - crosses from deep too much, can't dribble and plays it too safe too often) need to get 6 months' of games under their belts. JWP to start/Targett to be used more sparingly. So do the likes of Reed and Hesketh because we won't really know what they offer if they're not given the chance. If they stay around too long, however, the lot below will come through and they'll be squeezed out. So JWP (and possibly others) have until the end of this year to show they can perform adequately - the gulf in ability between JWP and PH is huge - or otherwise we should get rid so that next year we don't crap ourselves about going to MU because we believe our team is good enough to beat them. It should be as it has done recently.

Feeling much the same. Think it's the lack of attack in our team partly, but also the difficulty of this fixture, the endless hype around mourinho/pogba, and the fact it's on a friday night. Friday night football is a horrible idea.

No it's not, it's much better than Monday night football and better than Sunday games in my eyes.

If we are going to lose up there then I feel that it's better to get the loss out of the way early in the season.

A win, on the other hand, would set us up very nicely for the early stages before the other teams have settled. Just keep them from scoring for a while and the crowd can get nasty.

Although second half versus Watford was slightly better than the performance vs Athletico Bilbao and first half of the same match, I think that right now we should focus on fighting fire with fire on Old Trafford...

632cc23f4f2a98225f0ffaa02d046d8c.jpg

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

If we are going to lose up there then I feel that it's better to get the loss out of the way early in the season.

A win, on the other hand, would set us up very nicely for the early stages before the other teams have settled. Just keep them from scoring for a while and the crowd can get nasty.

On the other hand if we get lumped big time that could be very damaging to moral and confidence.

To get a result out of this I think we are going to have to play ugly containment football with the hope of catching them on the break. We do not have the firepower to go toe to toe with them.

I have not looked at the forum all summer, and ... I had forgotten what a miserable bunch you all were!

We'll probably lose at Old Trafford, but so will most teams this season. But we were good against Watford. They had 20 minutes after the goal, but apart from that we were totally dominant and should have won. Radical looked absolutely fantastic playing centrally/free role. He's been wasted in wide positions IMO.Romeu, apart from the goal, where he was dlow, was great. Target is obviously nowhere near as good as Bertrand, but what squad players are? Forster, Van Dijk, Time, Radical - really solid spine to team. Long (and Cedric) had an off day, and Redmond took a while to get into the game, but we'll be fine

I have not looked at the forum all summer, and ... I had forgotten what a miserable bunch you all were!

We'll probably lose at Old Trafford, but so will most teams this season. But we were good against Watford. They had 20 minutes after the goal, but apart from that we were totally dominant and should have won. Radical looked absolutely fantastic playing centrally/free role. He's been wasted in wide positions IMO.Romeu, apart from the goal, where he was dlow, was great. Target is obviously nowhere near as good as Bertrand, but what squad players are? Forster, Van Dijk, Time, Radical - really solid spine to team. Long (and Cedric) had an off day, and Redmond took a while to get into the game, but we'll be fine

:scared:

OK—all the more reason to read through your posts before sending.

I seem to remember you're always a stickler on others grammar and spelling, whats your beef? If someone makes an honest typo, is it really worth typing something defamatory which might only dissuade them from posting again? Its the 21st century, people check their regular internet sites on the go these days, if you're typing out a quick post while sat waiting for the wife outside a grocery store on your phone, its really easy to make a couple of mistakes.

And no, i didn't read this back ten times before quickly hitting post while doing five other things while I'm at work!

Please lighten up and stop picking on any typo's, its really not that important.I

Edited by diggers

I seem to remember you're always a stickler on others grammar and spelling, whats your beef? If someone makes an honest typo, is it really worth typing something defamatory which might only dissuade them from posting again? Its the 21st century, people check their regular internet sites on the go these days, if your typing out a quick post while sat waiting for the wife outside a grocery store on your phone, its really easy to make a couple of mistakes.

And no, i didn't read this back ten times before quickly hitting post while doing five other things while I'm at work!

Please lighten up and stop picking on any typo's, its really not that important.

Fair enough, we have a different opinion on this. Yes, I am a stickler, I suppose. It's just the way I approach my writing. So, yes, it is important to me. Sad, eh? ;)

But it's a bit over-the-top to say that I'm being defamatory, isn't it?

Fair enough, we have a different opinion on this. Yes, I am a stickler, I suppose. It's just the way I approach my writing. So, yes, it is important to me. Sad, eh? ;)

But it's a bit over-the-top to say that I'm being defamatory, isn't it?

I wouldn't consider it OTT: just an incorrect usage of the word.

Indeed; but if I'd pointed that out .... well! Adding insult to injury.

:lol:

An ellipsis usually has three dots, but regardless, wasn't this a build up thread for the Man Utd match at some point?

Any time everyone would like to wander back towards the original topic ...

I'm actually really looking forward to this. Have we ever managed three wins on the bounce at Old Trafford before?