Man UTD build up thread

Yorkshire Saint

First Friday night game of the season, can't be sure we can make it three on the bounce at OT but here is my team after today:

Frazier

Cedric

Targett (Ryan if fit)

Jose

VVD

Pierre

Davis

Tadic

Austin

Long

Redmond

4-3-3

Subs

McCarthy

French bloke

Stephens

Classie

Romeu

J Rod

JWP - maya transfer listed ;)

Probably a case for Pied to start ahead of Cedric after what we saw today. Pied is better defensively, too, which might be what we need against Martial or whoever down our right.

I tend to agree but you have to hope a run in the team might bring the best out of Cedric. His pass completion rate today must have been single figures while I agree Pied looked more than comfortable.

I tend to agree but you have to hope a run in the team might bring the best out of Cedric. His pass completion rate today must have been single figures while I agree Pied looked more than comfortable.

It was 68%. Every other outfield player was over 80%.

Even Romeu ?

Whoscored list him as 88% pass completion. From 93 passes. Massively more total passes than anyone else.

With the most passes during the match. The incomplete passes (about 10) would have been more apparent.

First Friday night game of the season, can't be sure we can make it three on the bounce at OT but here is my team after today:

Frazier

Cedric

Targett (Ryan if fit)

Jose

VVD

Pierre

Davis

Tadic

Austin

Long

Redmond

4-3-3

Subs

McCarthy

French bloke

Stephens

Classie

Romeu

J Rod

JWP - maya transfer listed ;)

What about Gardos?

Feel like our lack of width may be a big issue here with Valencia, Shaw, Martial and Lingard/Depay/Mkhitaryan going up against our two full backs. Would be surprised if we still ran diamond but who knows.

The two CMs either side of Romeu are supposed to cover but we didn't see much of that today. Clasie would be good to put in for his tenacity and the ground he covers, as would a certain Harrison Reed.

Play pied in front of Cedric I think. 4-5-1 with long alone up front. Think we need to be far tighter in this one or we'll get destroyed. We also can't have Yoshida playing.

Yoshida was good today, he made one very sloppy back pass, as did Virgil. I'd much rather have him than Fonte, if the latter is even less fit than Cédric looked this afternoon. How we allowed that to happen I'll never know.

Feel like our lack of width may be a big issue here with Valencia, Shaw, Martial and Lingard/Depay/Mkhitaryan going up against our two full backs. Would be surprised if we still ran diamond but who knows.

I'd be surprised if we didn't play the diamond frankly. If you have a manager arrogant enough to come to a new league and change a successful team as much as he has, purely for his own ego rather than because it suits the players he has, then I don't see why he wouldn't go with it away at United.

Nice to see you haven't made any knee jerk reactions based on one game, which could have gone either way.

I am seeing a manager come in and play a system that does not suit this group of players and play players out of their natural positions for no reason.

This is a side that finished 3 points off a champions league spot playing mostly a certain formation.

Just my opinion

I think we are going to get torn a new one

Way too narrow and players out of position

Give Puel till January before he leaves

It's okay. Redmond is The new Thierry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm gonna guess we will go with a tried and tested 4231.

Puel hasn't tested it (at least in a match situation) since he arrived. So the players last used it in May... 4 months ago.

I doubt we'll be changing from the 4-1-2-1-2 system. Ok, we didn't beat Watford, but it worked well in the 2nd half today, especially with Hojbjerg on the pitch.

From memory, over the last three seasons our record at old Trafford has been superb, a draw (Pochettino) and two wins (Koeman). But, I think this season the fixture has come too soon for us, and we have a weakened side in terms of guile and steel playing in an unfamiliar system. An optimistic 2-0 (realistic 3-0) to United - assuming we improve and they have an off day.

I would focus on defence.

................FF..................

Cedric. Fonte. VvD. Targett

.............Romeo...............

.....Clasie.....Höjbjerg.......

.............Tadic.................

.....Long...........Redmond..

I would focus on defence.

................FF..................

Cedric. Fonte. VvD. Targett

.............Romeo...............

.....Clasie.....Höjbjerg.......

.............Tadic.................

.....Long...........Redmond..

This with Davis for Clasie. Hopefully Bertrand on the bench at least. Another 1-1 I reckon. Redmond to score again.

From memory, over the last three seasons our record at old Trafford has been superb, a draw (Pochettino) and two wins (Koeman). But, I think this season the fixture has come too soon for us, and we have a weakened side in terms of guile and steel playing in an unfamiliar system. An optimistic 2-0 (realistic 3-0) to United - assuming we improve and they have an off day.

This seasons Man U are a lot better though and have a better manger so it would be bloody hard to get a result but you never know though early season form is usually all over the place for everyone so a few shocks are always assured.

Saw opportunities for us on Friday if United play like they did today. Scoreline looks impressive and it must be taken into account that it was an away game but if players like Tadic get as much as the ball as the likes of Ibe did today then we will get chances.

Would be amazed if we won this one,

It will be telling if Fonte plays or not against a side who want to sign him,

Expect more Yoshida at the back, also hopefully Puel will see sense and play Pied at RB and Hojbjerg for the lightweight JWP

I'm not convinced Puel has any tactics up his sleeve for dealing with them with the players we have as Koeman and Poch at least had a better squad and tactical ability to change when required, after what I witnessed today against Bompey they were bullied into a mauling much like we were against Watford 1st half, we couldn't even beat that 2nd rate side with 10 men and Puel didn't even change formation to exploit our extra man, so against a title contender, with star players wanting to impress for places in future matches and with the Pogba debut factor and in front of an expectant 80,000 home crowd i'm expecting at least a 3-0 loss

It's gonna be a long season folks without any quality in the side in key areas we have lost......just look at Mane and the others we sold today for a glimpse of that quality

According to this forum, we should sack the manager, made half the first team redundant and then we'll lose 4-0 and not 10-0.

LOSING TEN NIL WOULD BE GOOD AND WAKE UP CALL TO THAT FAT WOMAN WHO HAS KEPT ALL THE MONEY. I HOPE WE LOSE TWENTY NIL.

Would be amazed if we won this one,

It will be telling if Fonte plays or not against a side who want to sign him,

Expect more Yoshida at the back, also hopefully Puel will see sense and play Pied at RB and Hojbjerg for the lightweight JWP

I'm not convinced Puel has any tactics up his sleeve for dealing with them with the players we have as Koeman and Poch at least had a better squad and tactical ability to change when required, after what I witnessed today against Bompey they were bullied into a mauling much like we were against Watford 1st half, we couldn't even beat that 2nd rate side with 10 men and Puel didn't even change formation to exploit our extra man, so against a title contender, with star players wanting to impress for places in future matches and with the Pogba debut factor and in front of an expectant 80,000 home crowd i'm expecting at least a 3-0 loss

It's gonna be a long season folks without any quality in the side in key areas we have lost......just look at Mane and the others we sold today for a glimpse of that quality

I think our biggest biggest complaint with Poch was his lack of plan B. Also the team that finished 8th was no way a better squad, our back ups were Jos, Danny Fox and Gazzaniga ffs, in fairness he did well in getting us 8th that year.

Maybe Puel's plan B was to put PEH on, but tbf I doubt this myself.

I went last year relatively optimistic as Saints were doing well and Man Utd were on a poor run with the crowd turning against Van Gaal, which we happily joined in with.

This time I am fairly pessimistic with Man Utd regenerated under a new manager and a shed load of money spent on new players, whilst we are weaker.

The real concern to me is the lack of height in our team compared to the opposition.

Of the outfield players only VVD compares to the likes of Pogba, Smalling, Ibrahamovic, Pogba, Fellaini etc.

Can see a bit of a tonking in prospect unfortunately