Players leaving

Mbizzle

In wake of yesterdays insane game between Arsenal and Liverpool, it leads perfectly to a little piece I wrote taking a statistical look at the most recent big names to leave Southampton FC:

http://www.thestatszone.com/articles/leaving-southampton-is-the-grass-always-greener

The stats were complied before the opening week of fixtures so they do not include anything that happened yesterday

There is compelling evidence now that players are very keen to leave this club as soon as humanly possible. That is a concern.

We are not assertive enough in telling players that whilst under contract they will be staying so we therefore encourage interest from other clubs in the full knowledge we will crumble.

If as a club we cannot have the ambition to keep a team together and look to really consolidate progress we make we WILL

decline. Same for any business. Some fans might say, wake up and smell the coffee, we ARE a feeder club - a sort of under 21 team for the bigger boys including Everton apparently! Some might say that is a defeatist attitude and not ambitious.... Some might say our credibility is being eroded and Koeman was in fact right ..... We were not going to go any further than he took us...

As we appear to be ready to lay down and have our belly tickled. Every year the virus of discontent with the better players in the squad will continue to fester. Is it time we laid down the law to our players and started sending a firm message to our competition too that we do not sell our best assets?

A winning mentality starts off the pitch in the board room and our board are now in a 'pecking order' state of mind where we know our place and act accordingly....

Yes ' We March on' but every year now we are lambs to the slaughter and our generals meanwhile smoke cigars and drink champagne back at head quarters....

We offer no deterrent to the enemy....

Yep, those 5 players or so who just signed new deals are indeed "compelling evidence that players are very keen to leave as soon as humanly possible".

When has contracts meant anything,just means more money when a rich club comes in for them.

Yep, those 5 players or so who just signed new deals are indeed "compelling evidence that players are very keen to leave as soon as humanly possible".

A signed contract means f**k all if another club is willing to pay for their services and offer them even more money. All the contract gives them is more money and if they f**k up or get injured, a few more years' pay. It's all a farce. B*llocks to them all.

A signed contract means f**k all if another club is willing to pay for their services and offer them even more money. All the contract gives them is more money and if they f**k up or get injured, a few more years' pay. It's all a farce. B*llocks to them all.

Not forgetting every Saints contract comes with a "gentleman's agreement" that players can leave if X,Y,Z

If we had finished 14th in each of the last 2 seasons, would the big boys have been interested in our players ? We are victims of our own success, and also of the lazy attitude of such teams to doing their own development scouting. How many clubs scouted Mane, Wanyama, etc, and decided to pass on them ?

If we had finished 14th in each of the last 2 seasons, would the big boys have been interested in our players ? We are victims of our own success, and also of the lazy attitude of such teams to doing their own development scouting. How many clubs scouted Mane, Wanyama, etc, and decided to pass on them ?

I think lazy is the wrong word - most of them can afford to not take a risk. So why bother buying someone who could be great in the PL for £10m when you can see if they are and buy them for £25m a year or 2 afterwards.

The beauty of this situation is that it allows us to get the best young players as they will see us as the number 1 team to develop them and not hold them back if they want to leave. Hence our continued improvement, even though we sell a lot of people.

If we had religiously tried to keep hold of everyone and held them to their contracts we wouldn't be signing the players we are signing now.

The Saintsweb way:

Vague rumour on Twitter or from ‘a bloke who knows the guy who cuts the hair of…’ -> notorious bed wetters panic -> are ridiculed by most -> more concrete rumours -> more people start to panic -> the more optimistic forum members get more aggressively optimistic -> some media pick up on the rumours -> general panic except the most optimistic members -> official Saints statement: everything will be fine -> massive relief -> player leaves

:lol:

I love this club/forum.

In all seriousness: I don't think Fonte and Austin will leave. One more player will be added hopefully, and we'll have a decent season.

Not forgetting every Saints contract comes with a "gentleman's agreement" that players can leave if X,Y,Z

:lol: Haha! Prove it.

Show the proof or are you just attention seeking...................thought so...

You could post the proof with one of your other log ins if you like..

Vic, Morgan and Fonte have all talked openly about verbal agreements with the club. Deny it in your head all you like.

Last player who was decent and wanted by the club that has seen out his contract and not been sold?

You said "CONTRACT" ...show us the contract ........can`t.....thought so........

When has contracts meant anything,just means more money when a rich club comes in for them.

Well, if we hadn't just offered them better money I'm fairly sure some of them also wouldn't be here already, so that's "when has contracts meant anything".

Last player who was decent and wanted by the club that has seen out his contract and not been sold?

Your argument is promoting that we let players' contracts expire and don't get a transfer fee for them, rather than our far more sensible approach of signing them to longer deals and selling them when their value is much higher than it would be if they left on a free.

It also ignores that anyone decent who the club wants to keep will get offered a new contract but if they want to leave won't sign it - which was the case with Wanyama and a few others.

Schneiderlin really stands out to me here, he is one I really expected would have pushed on but maybe the jump has just been too big for him and/or he's been a victim of United's issues.

He was their best player for the first 4 months or so last season, then started getting dropped for no apparent reason and his form tailed off.

Yes, Watford have turned down bids of £35 mill from Man United and £37.5 mill from Shanghai for Ighalo and £25 mill from Leicester for Deeney. But, they have all of that Premier League prize money coming in so they don’t need to sell their players.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/688014/Manchester-United-transfer-news-Louis-van-Gaal-Odion-Ighalo-bid

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/leicester-city-transfer-news-25-million-bid-for-deeney-rejected/story-29418736-detail/story.html

Yes, Watford have turned down bids of £35 mill from Man United and £37.5 mill from Shanghai for Ighalo and £25 mill from Leicester for Deeney. But, they have all of that Premier League prize money coming in so they don’t need to sell their players.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/688014/Manchester-United-transfer-news-Louis-van-Gaal-Odion-Ighalo-bid

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/leicester-city-transfer-news-25-million-bid-for-deeney-rejected/story-29418736-detail/story.html

How come their players aren't sulking, refusing to play and hence lowered their value to 12m? I thought that always happened if you didn't sell?

Maybe Ighalo had no desire to go to Shanghai. Have you even factored that in to things?

I've factored into it the fact that either you really are an idiot or you're being deliberatley obtuse:

"Watford have turned down bids of £35 mill from Man United and £37.5 mill from Shanghai Ighalo."

He was their best player for the first 4 months or so last season, then started getting dropped for no apparent reason and his form tailed off.

He had one storming game against Everton but has never really kicked on at United. I hope for his sake that he moves on before the end of this window.

He had one storming game against Everton but has never really kicked on at United. I hope for his sake that he moves on before the end of this window.

He didn't lose in a single match in the first 17 he played last season for club and country, and only lost one of his first 26 for Man U and France (it was against England) until he suffered a second defeat (and first Man U loss) against Saints on Jan 23rd.

Meanwhile without him Man U lost 6 of their other 13 matches in that period.

I would say that was pretty comprehensive proof of his effectiveness up until late January (so nearer 6 months than 4, actually).

Schneiderlin really stands out to me here, he is one I really expected would have pushed on but maybe the jump has just been too big for him and/or he's been a victim of United's issues.

Only Jon Obi Mikel plays more square passes than Morgan and because Louis van Gaal was getting slaughtered for United's boring style of play, he dropped him, despite them tending to win more with him than without him. Carrick, someone that never plays a square pass, came in, had a decent game and it was bench time for Morgan thereafter. Even with the new TV money I doubt we could afford to take on his wages, so cant see him coming back even if wanted to get away, which I doubt he does.

Only Jon Obi Mikel plays more square passes than Morgan and because Louis van Gaal was getting slaughtered for United's boring style of play, he dropped him, despite them tending to win more with him than without him. Carrick, someone that never plays a square pass, came in, had a decent game and it was bench time for Morgan thereafter. Even with the new TV money I doubt we could afford to take on his wages, so cant see him coming back even if wanted to get away, which I doubt he does.

We could afford his wages, we just couldn't afford to also up the wages (again) of everyone else as a result of it.

Probably not made up at all. Makes sense for Hull to target players to sign on loan (due to their take-over talks).

They will be looking for players that they perceive will not get much game time.