How does the Black Box work?

Crab Lungs

It uses Football Manager database CS & PA and 'wonderkid' shortlists along with opta stats from majority of the leagues.

Then players that fit the system are identified, reported on and then filtered down to a list of ten.

It uses Football Manager database CS & PA and 'wonderkid' shortlists along with opta stats from majority of the leagues.

Then players that fit the system are identified, reported on and then filtered down to a list of ten.

Basically public information?

I've probably read it before but how does it actually work? How does it monitor and assess players? How much input does a manager have or does the manager choose from options that are presented by the black box? Just curious.

Same as most things in our age, with smoke and mirrors.

FFS. That's how I buy players on football manager. So basically, I have the black box in my house. They should give me a job, I've been great at buying players over the last year who fit the 'high pressing' style. Maybe I should send Les my shortlist.

There's a guy at Ajax....Nemanja Gudelj for midfield as a partner for Romeu, Callejon at Napoli if he becomes available for attack, otherwise Genki Haraguchi from Hertha Berlin to play anywhere across the 3. Sokratis at Dortmund for a VVD partner - or Alvarez Balanta from Basel if Sokratis isn't available.

Give me the job Les.

There's no perfect recruitment system but over the last few seasons we've done well with a few duffers. My worry is if the system tends to recruit the same type of player Romeu excepted all our midfielders are very similar. I wonder how MLT would've faired if his stats had been analysed - very static but when the ball eventually gets to him he wins you the game!

FFS. That's how I buy players on football manager. So basically, I have the black box in my house. They should give me a job, I've been great at buying players over the last year who fit the 'high pressing' style. Maybe I should send Les my shortlist.

There's a guy at Ajax....Nemanja Gudelj for midfield as a partner for Romeu, Callejon at Napoli if he becomes available for attack, otherwise Genki Haraguchi from Hertha Berlin to play anywhere across the 3. Sokratis at Dortmund for a VVD partner - or Alvarez Balanta from Basel if Sokratis isn't available.

Give me the job Les.

Think our scouts have beat you to it considering we've been linked with two of those (Gudelj and Callejon). Haraguchi and Sokratis don't fit our signing mould and we are about to sign a younger and higher rated CB than Balanta, so I can see why you're not making the grade ;)

Perhaps if we're going purely on FM scouting and factoring in "Saints type signings" then maybe we could go after Alex Grimaldo from Benfica to cover from the departing Ryan Bertrand and Dortmund's Felix Passlack on the other flank to understudy Cedric for a year before he departs next season, Ruben Neves from Porto to polish into a real combative box to box midfielder before selling on for a huge profit in a couple of years. Lucas Hernanzez or Presnel Kimpembe to play alongside VVD and had he not just gone to Lyon, Mariano Diaz up top for Gabbiadini to play off.

Easy, this transfer lark

• 3 weeks later...