Results 1 to 29 of 29

Thread: Saints - Ethos and Transfer Policy

  1. #1

    Default Saints - Ethos and Transfer Policy

    A few words on the pathway and transfer policy at the club...

    http://georgeweahscousin.com/what-do...s-really-want/

  2. #2

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Stonehenge Tube Station
    Posts
    3,066

    Default

    Matt Targett or James Ward-Prowse could win the game for us......
    Lulz.

  3. #3

    Default

    Good article as ever.

    You are right to talk about the satisfaction we get from producing top quality players though it can also be a little galling to see so many move on to "bigger and better" things (the Liverpool Arsenal game you mentioned being case in point).

    The question is how sustainable the strategy is when a significant number of other teams in the league seem determined to throw money around. I like the way we do things and think it is admirable, if it costs us some short term progress as a club that's fine but it would be great to see us kick on to a level whereby we can eventually reap the rewards of developing players.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    the metropolis of Southampton
    Posts
    6,070

    Default

    A measured read and a measured viewpoint. Sometimes as fans it's nice to expect the unexpected, but up to now during the close season the club have not really given the supporters cause to be excited. I sense the fanbase needs a bit of a lift and occasionally it would be nice to see the club take a bit of a risk.
    I am starting to feel a bit soporific and underwhelmed, and yes, I know there is still a fortnight left in the window. Claude looks like a safe pair of hands but he doesn't really inspire me. It's almost as if we have settled for an average season. That will be more than enough for some, who glance down the M27 and shudder, but those of us who are running out of years would prefer a bit of glory instead of an enviable bank balance.
    Just thinking out loud, no doubt the like of CB Fry and Turkish will slaughter me for daring to want more. I am very grateful for the last 7 years but success just makes you want more!

  5. #5

    Default

    More of the all or nothing argument then. You can sign good players without blocking the pathway. I don't even see anyone demanding saints spend fortunes, just that we spend what we receive. People will bang on about new contracts and so on, but we know what most of us would think if it were another club doing it.

    Is there anyone we're blocking the path for right now? Reed needs chances, perhaps Clasie blocks his. But our attack is pretty weak and there's no one to come in there. Hesketh in time, Gallagher looks way off, anyone else? It's great to take a long term view but you can't ignore the present.

    As for the knee jerk comments yet again, it's a bit annoying when plenty have expressed their concerns all summer, not just after 1 match. You can't tell anything after 1 match. If we'd won 2-1, even if we'd won 3-0, those concerns would still be there. Knee jerk isn't solely related to negatives.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ringwood, Hampshire
    Posts
    108

    Default

    Well it must be my time to upset many of the posters on here.
    I buy a season ticket because I want to watch Saints win. I know we can't win every week, I know we'll typically struggle against the bigger teams. As long as we can win against them every now and again (Arsenal at home, Chelsea away, Man U away last season) I don't think we can complain.
    However, the idea of in theory not buying 'good' players because they might block the academy pathway I don't like. If the academy players are good enough they'll get a chance. JWP and Targett are not good enough to be first 11 starters. They are okay as fillers to cover injury, but I look forward to Bertrand and Hojberg (Spelling!) keeping them out of the side. Why? Because they are clearly better players. I want Saints to field their best team available out for each match. I don't want 'youngsters' put in to blood them, if they are worse than our first 11/12/13. I want us to go for it in the league cup. No weak side, go for it. Try and win it. No kids, it might allow us to lose and another chance to win something will be gone.
    It doesn't bother me if our players come through the academy or not. Not bothered. If they are good enough to be in the first team then great, but if not so what?
    I don't watch the youth team, no interest in it. Couldn't name most of the players, wouldn't recognise them either. Just like I have never heard of most of the players we are 'linked' with on the transfer rumour thread.
    I want us to improve the team by bringing in players good enough to walk into the first team. If it blocks an academy player so what? I want us to improve, not get worse to allow youth a chance.
    I don't post much, but love reading the posts on here, it is a great place with some knowledgeable people on here. But I don't understand the happy clapping obsession with the youth team. Maybe I'm just a one off weirdo? Maybe others feel the same?

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    stockholm sweden
    Posts
    11,099
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    It's the last 7 ......of my 57 years as a Saints fan that have given me the greatest satisfaction (aside from 1976 that is), so why is it the younger fans on this site are so hard to please and incredibly impatient? We live in a world where the quick fix is a basic requirement. Managers have (on average) 13 months to make it happen.
    Aside from his (soon to be celebrated) 20 years at Arsenal, only Arsene Wenger has stayed the course whilst Alan Pardew has survived a mere 3 or 4 seasons at Palace.
    At Saints, We march on. YES.. although it appears to be a slow march to some, but after the turmoil of 2009, perhaps we are more cautious than many others.

    Whilst the likes of the Manchester's and Chelsea's spend money like water (or should it be Oil ?)..we are more careful than most, remembering that the Gaston and Ramirez deals blew a huge hole in our salary budget with little reward to the club. We (hopefully) will be able to avoid that sort of mistake again.
    Players come and go ....and our managers too, but this time through their success ....and not their inability to coach a good side.
    On my recent visit to SMS, I bought a copy of Lawrie McMenemy's book and will settle down.... to read and recall .....all the ups and down's of Saints during his time, when we did win a Cup and.... almost won the League title.

    How can we brag about the Academy products, then claim they are not good enough for the Prem......and yet complain we lose them when they succeed?

    As long as the " big money clubs " can afford to spend tens of millions on players/salaries, we can never expect to match their buying power or wage levels, and for all their wealth we saw the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea, West Ham and Everton finishing below us last season, and only the most fervant statistician could predict where we might have ended up - if we hadn't had that dip in form last Winter.

    If patience is a virtue..then we must learn to cultivate it, and keep recalling that ..if Leicester can do it.....there's hope for others. Maybe not this season, but the big boys have proven that big money doesn't always buy big success, and the likes of Walcott, Bale, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Shaw, Lallana and Chambers made it through our Academy to the highest level - without costing us anywhere near the 100 million+ ....that we eventually sold them for.

    Surely more Academy lads will "graduate " and make it to the first team, and just as inevitably...some of them will move on. Cest la vie. Let's not complain too much.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adriansfc View Post
    More of the all or nothing argument then. You can sign good players without blocking the pathway. I don't even see anyone demanding saints spend fortunes, just that we spend what we receive. People will bang on about new contracts and so on, but we know what most of us would think if it were another club doing it.

    Is there anyone we're blocking the path for right now? Reed needs chances, perhaps Clasie blocks his. But our attack is pretty weak and there's no one to come in there. Hesketh in time, Gallagher looks way off, anyone else? It's great to take a long term view but you can't ignore the present.

    As for the knee jerk comments yet again, it's a bit annoying when plenty have expressed their concerns all summer, not just after 1 match. You can't tell anything after 1 match. If we'd won 2-1, even if we'd won 3-0, those concerns would still be there. Knee jerk isn't solely related to negatives.

    We have, we signed Hojberg and Redmond. Both of these will be huge for us this season, as will Tadic and his new lease of life.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    8,313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fitzhugh Fella View Post
    A measured read and a measured viewpoint. Sometimes as fans it's nice to expect the unexpected, but up to now during the close season the club have not really given the supporters cause to be excited. I sense the fanbase needs a bit of a lift and occasionally it would be nice to see the club take a bit of a risk.
    I am starting to feel a bit soporific and underwhelmed, and yes, I know there is still a fortnight left in the window. Claude looks like a safe pair of hands but he doesn't really inspire me. It's almost as if we have settled for an average season. That will be more than enough for some, who glance down the M27 and shudder, but those of us who are running out of years would prefer a bit of glory instead of an enviable bank balance.
    Just thinking out loud, no doubt the like of CB Fry and Turkish will slaughter me for daring to want more. I am very grateful for the last 7 years but success just makes you want more!
    I agree with your comments I am not really expecting much this season but I do feel that this team could develop into a very good team in the next season or two.

    But the problem with all PL teams is that there are so many teams offering obscene amount of money in wages that it may be impossible to keep our better players which has been the case so far

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    upthecreekwithoutapaddle
    Posts
    6,150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vectraman View Post
    Well it must be my time to upset many of the posters on here.
    I buy a season ticket because I want to watch Saints win. I know we can't win every week, I know we'll typically struggle against the bigger teams. As long as we can win against them every now and again (Arsenal at home, Chelsea away, Man U away last season) I don't think we can complain.
    However, the idea of in theory not buying 'good' players because they might block the academy pathway I don't like. If the academy players are good enough they'll get a chance. JWP and Targett are not good enough to be first 11 starters. They are okay as fillers to cover injury, but I look forward to Bertrand and Hojberg (Spelling!) keeping them out of the side. Why? Because they are clearly better players. I want Saints to field their best team available out for each match. I don't want 'youngsters' put in to blood them, if they are worse than our first 11/12/13. I want us to go for it in the league cup. No weak side, go for it. Try and win it. No kids, it might allow us to lose and another chance to win something will be gone.
    It doesn't bother me if our players come through the academy or not. Not bothered. If they are good enough to be in the first team then great, but if not so what?
    I don't watch the youth team, no interest in it. Couldn't name most of the players, wouldn't recognise them either. Just like I have never heard of most of the players we are 'linked' with on the transfer rumour thread.
    I want us to improve the team by bringing in players good enough to walk into the first team. If it blocks an academy player so what? I want us to improve, not get worse to allow youth a chance.
    I don't post much, but love reading the posts on here, it is a great place with some knowledgeable people on here. But I don't understand the happy clapping obsession with the youth team. Maybe I'm just a one off weirdo? Maybe others feel the same?
    And the problem with 'standing still' as in 'not improving' is that there can inevitably be only one direction.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Block 34
    Posts
    1,718
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fitzhugh Fella View Post
    A measured read and a measured viewpoint. Sometimes as fans it's nice to expect the unexpected, but up to now during the close season the club have not really given the supporters cause to be excited. I sense the fanbase needs a bit of a lift and occasionally it would be nice to see the club take a bit of a risk.
    I am starting to feel a bit soporific and underwhelmed, and yes, I know there is still a fortnight left in the window. Claude looks like a safe pair of hands but he doesn't really inspire me. It's almost as if we have settled for an average season. That will be more than enough for some, who glance down the M27 and shudder, but those of us who are running out of years would prefer a bit of glory instead of an enviable bank balance.
    Just thinking out loud, no doubt the like of CB Fry and Turkish will slaughter me for daring to want more. I am very grateful for the last 7 years but success just makes you want more!
    When one of the more informed posters on here sums up exactly how I feel I know I'm not in the minority! Thank you.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    stockholm sweden
    Posts
    11,099
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fitzhugh Fella View Post
    A measured read and a measured viewpoint. Sometimes as fans it's nice to expect the unexpected, but up to now during the close season the club have not really given the supporters cause to be excited. I sense the fanbase needs a bit of a lift and occasionally it would be nice to see the club take a bit of a risk.
    I am starting to feel a bit soporific and underwhelmed, and yes, I know there is still a fortnight left in the window. Claude looks like a safe pair of hands but he doesn't really inspire me. It's almost as if we have settled for an average season. That will be more than enough for some, who glance down the M27 and shudder, but those of us who are running out of years would prefer a bit of glory instead of an enviable bank balance.
    Just thinking out loud, no doubt the like of CB Fry and Turkish will slaughter me for daring to want more. I am very grateful for the last 7 years but success just makes you want more!

    Good response Duncan,

    whilst we talk about those 27 seasons in the top tier, let's not forget that it was regarded as a success when we staved off relegation - let alone finished in the top half.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    8,313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vectraman View Post
    Well it must be my time to upset many of the posters on here.
    I buy a season ticket because I want to watch Saints win. I know we can't win every week, I know we'll typically struggle against the bigger teams. As long as we can win against them every now and again (Arsenal at home, Chelsea away, Man U away last season) I don't think we can complain.
    However, the idea of in theory not buying 'good' players because they might block the academy pathway I don't like. If the academy players are good enough they'll get a chance. JWP and Targett are not good enough to be first 11 starters. They are okay as fillers to cover injury, but I look forward to Bertrand and Hojberg (Spelling!) keeping them out of the side. Why? Because they are clearly better players. I want Saints to field their best team available out for each match. I don't want 'youngsters' put in to blood them, if they are worse than our first 11/12/13. I want us to go for it in the league cup. No weak side, go for it. Try and win it. No kids, it might allow us to lose and another chance to win something will be gone.
    It doesn't bother me if our players come through the academy or not. Not bothered. If they are good enough to be in the first team then great, but if not so what?
    I don't watch the youth team, no interest in it. Couldn't name most of the players, wouldn't recognise them either. Just like I have never heard of most of the players we are 'linked' with on the transfer rumour thread.
    I want us to improve the team by bringing in players good enough to walk into the first team. If it blocks an academy player so what? I want us to improve, not get worse to allow youth a chance.
    I don't post much, but love reading the posts on here, it is a great place with some knowledgeable people on here. But I don't understand the happy clapping obsession with the youth team. Maybe I'm just a one off weirdo? Maybe others feel the same?
    You are not a weirdo just some unrealistic mug with delusions of glory.

    Why not enjoy supporting the Saints like I have for the past sixty years or so in a period where we have had success for a number of years instead of whingeing .

    In the last sixty years I can assure you that the last six years have been the most successful but of course it will not last it never does just look at Liverpool not in Europe Man U not in the Champions League and past European Cup winners Nottm Forest and I think Villa too not even in the PL

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    21,132

    Default

    lots of examples of the fabled Dell Size Mentality on display here

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fitzhugh Fella View Post
    A measured read and a measured viewpoint. Sometimes as fans it's nice to expect the unexpected, but up to now during the close season the club have not really given the supporters cause to be excited. I sense the fanbase needs a bit of a lift and occasionally it would be nice to see the club take a bit of a risk.
    I am starting to feel a bit soporific and underwhelmed, and yes, I know there is still a fortnight left in the window. Claude looks like a safe pair of hands but he doesn't really inspire me. It's almost as if we have settled for an average season. That will be more than enough for some, who glance down the M27 and shudder, but those of us who are running out of years would prefer a bit of glory instead of an enviable bank balance.
    Just thinking out loud, no doubt the like of CB Fry and Turkish will slaughter me for daring to want more. I am very grateful for the last 7 years but success just makes you want more!
    You might be running out of years but the club isn't. It has to take a long term view and approach of things. Yes we all want some glory and to want that isn't a bad thing. However realistically all we can ever ask from the club is improvement, whether be in terms of league position or with a bit of context where we are as a club. The club has delivered that for the last 7 seasons. I really dont understand the criticism of the club and the way it goes about things. Latheal has posted some very interesting and insightful posts about why we cant go out and spunk loads of money on Bolasie and Benteke and thank **** that is the case. The club is delivering on the pitch every year at the moment, I believe we will get at least one more in but even if we didn't, it will be because the club doesn't think we need it or it was right to do so, and the club has earnt my trust when it comes to those decisions. I'm quite excited by the season, not just because of what we have in store in terms of European football but I quite like the look of the squad myself but I can see why others might not. Personally I think Hoijberg already looks a better player than Wanyama and suits Puel's possesion game better anyway. Redmond is someone the club has been interested for a while and again the club has earn't my trust in that if they rate someone so much then he must be good and certainly I can see the qualities he brings and how we as a club can help him improve. Puel excites me. I get why he might not excite you, but he does me. He's a champions league experienced manager, who has had success in another country and has a good record of young players. I dont give a **** about his interviews being dull but when I listen to them they don't seem dull to me because instead of thinking about how dull he is when I press play, I actually try to listen to and understand what he has to say and he's pretty similar to Koeman and Poch, which makes sense seeing as the club prides itself on being able to easily carry on with different managers.

    I just don't get the meltdown people are feeling. I certainly dont understand how people can criticise the owners and board as they have delivered every year. The management and players have had has had one game so I dont see how people can be on there backs already. I get why people might be greedy and want more but taking a minute to understand how lucky we are, where the club is at and it's restrictions it's working under and what we have in store this season I think will help calm people down.

    Everything is going to be ok. Even if we get battered tonight...which we wont.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ex Belgium, now IoW (I think it's still part of Europe, though!)
    Posts
    3,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    lots of examples of the fabled Dell Size Mentality on display here
    Also lots of examples of the 'we want it now, get the chequebook out' mentality !

    take your pick !!

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Norwich
    Posts
    8,652
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by david in sweden View Post

    Good response Duncan,

    whilst we talk about those 27 seasons in the top tier, let's not forget that it was regarded as a success when we staved off relegation - let alone finished in the top half.
    It was a brilliant achievement and one that is largely forgotten. In the last 50 years Saints have spent 80% of that time in the top league.

    That is all that matters, so finishing 17th or even a few places above for the next 20 years would be enough for me.

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    11,097

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fabrice29 View Post
    You might be running out of years but the club isn't. It has to take a long term view and approach of things. Yes we all want some glory and to want that isn't a bad thing. However realistically all we can ever ask from the club is improvement, whether be in terms of league position or with a bit of context where we are as a club. The club has delivered that for the last 7 seasons. I really dont understand the criticism of the club and the way it goes about things. Latheal has posted some very interesting and insightful posts about why we cant go out and spunk loads of money on Bolasie and Benteke and thank **** that is the case. The club is delivering on the pitch every year at the moment, I believe we will get at least one more in but even if we didn't, it will be because the club doesn't think we need it or it was right to do so, and the club has earnt my trust when it comes to those decisions. I'm quite excited by the season, not just because of what we have in store in terms of European football but I quite like the look of the squad myself but I can see why others might not. Personally I think Hoijberg already looks a better player than Wanyama and suits Puel's possesion game better anyway. Redmond is someone the club has been interested for a while and again the club has earn't my trust in that if they rate someone so much then he must be good and certainly I can see the qualities he brings and how we as a club can help him improve. Puel excites me. I get why he might not excite you, but he does me. He's a champions league experienced manager, who has had success in another country and has a good record of young players. I dont give a **** about his interviews being dull but when I listen to them they don't seem dull to me because instead of thinking about how dull he is when I press play, I actually try to listen to and understand what he has to say and he's pretty similar to Koeman and Poch, which makes sense seeing as the club prides itself on being able to easily carry on with different managers.

    I just don't get the meltdown people are feeling. I certainly dont understand how people can criticise the owners and board as they have delivered every year. The management and players have had has had one game so I dont see how people can be on there backs already. I get why people might be greedy and want more but taking a minute to understand how lucky we are, where the club is at and it's restrictions it's working under and what we have in store this season I think will help calm people down.

    Everything is going to be ok. Even if we get battered tonight...which we wont.
    An excellent post. Sums up very nicely how I feel too.

  19. Default



    Last edited by trousers; 19-08-2016 at 09:31 AM.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by david in sweden View Post
    It's the last 7 ......of my 57 years as a Saints fan that have given me the greatest satisfaction (aside from 1976 that is), so why is it the younger fans on this site are so hard to please and incredibly impatient? We live in a world where the quick fix is a basic requirement. Managers have (on average) 13 months to make it happen.
    Aside from his (soon to be celebrated) 20 years at Arsenal, only Arsene Wenger has stayed the course whilst Alan Pardew has survived a mere 3 or 4 seasons at Palace.
    At Saints, We march on. YES.. although it appears to be a slow march to some, but after the turmoil of 2009, perhaps we are more cautious than many others.

    Whilst the likes of the Manchester's and Chelsea's spend money like water (or should it be Oil ?)..we are more careful than most, remembering that the Gaston and Ramirez deals blew a huge hole in our salary budget with little reward to the club. We (hopefully) will be able to avoid that sort of mistake again.
    Players come and go ....and our managers too, but this time through their success ....and not their inability to coach a good side.
    On my recent visit to SMS, I bought a copy of Lawrie McMenemy's book and will settle down.... to read and recall .....all the ups and down's of Saints during his time, when we did win a Cup and.... almost won the League title.

    How can we brag about the Academy products, then claim they are not good enough for the Prem......and yet complain we lose them when they succeed?

    As long as the " big money clubs " can afford to spend tens of millions on players/salaries, we can never expect to match their buying power or wage levels, and for all their wealth we saw the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea, West Ham and Everton finishing below us last season, and only the most fervant statistician could predict where we might have ended up - if we hadn't had that dip in form last Winter.

    If patience is a virtue..then we must learn to cultivate it, and keep recalling that ..if Leicester can do it.....there's hope for others. Maybe not this season, but the big boys have proven that big money doesn't always buy big success, and the likes of Walcott, Bale, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Shaw, Lallana and Chambers made it through our Academy to the highest level - without costing us anywhere near the 100 million+ ....that we eventually sold them for.

    Surely more Academy lads will "graduate " and make it to the first team, and just as inevitably...some of them will move on. Cest la vie. Let's not complain too much.
    Are yuo saying that the last 7 years brought you more excitement thant the years of Channon, Keegan, Ball, Williams Moran etc? Getting to semi finals regularly and even finals????

  21. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trousers View Post


    Nice one Trousers - always worth remembering.

  22. #22

    Default

    Thing is having a pathway is all well and good, but the kids have to be good enough and currently they are not. Fielding academy players, seeing players play for England is all well and good but plaudits and warm regards for our club does not win points or trophies.

    Those 7 goals at the weekend were scored by Arsenal and Liverpool players, they were scored trying to help Liverpool and Arsenal win a game, they don't help Southampton FC.

    End of the day the club is here to win games, if a youngster is good enough, he'll play and we'll win games, if he isn't then we should be getting in better players to improve the team.

    Unless there are some massive change in the rules on how football is run, all our academy essentially does is generate money and provide players for the likes of Liverpool and Arsenal.

  23. #23

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    stockholm sweden
    Posts
    11,099
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldNick View Post
    Are yuo saying that the last 7 years brought you more excitement than the years of Channon, Keegan, Ball, Williams Moran etc?
    Getting to semi finals regularly and even finals????
    it's all relative - isn't it ?
    the last 7 years have been " fresher in my mind ", and had been more successful in a number of ways.
    Not to say that the " Lawrie years " weren't exciting too, but these 7 years have all been on the up and especially as the competition with other sides is more intensive.

    I love Cup runs..(don't we all) ..recalling the 1963 Cup run, but that Semi Final defeat was one of the biggest downers of my supporting days. Losing a Final is worse.

    Of course the period of " Five England captains " will never repeat itself, and even finishing 2nd to Liverpool in that period had its own disappointments.
    If it's going to get even better...I don't mind waiting.
    It may be difficult to us to think that we'll finish 5th - or better this season..but we have the groundwork for more improvement - even if it doesn't all happen this season.

  24. #24

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sold! Vindicated.
    Posts
    8,832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fitzhugh Fella View Post
    A measured read and a measured viewpoint. Sometimes as fans it's nice to expect the unexpected, but up to now during the close season the club have not really given the supporters cause to be excited. I sense the fanbase needs a bit of a lift and occasionally it would be nice to see the club take a bit of a risk.
    I am starting to feel a bit soporific and underwhelmed, and yes, I know there is still a fortnight left in the window. Claude looks like a safe pair of hands but he doesn't really inspire me. It's almost as if we have settled for an average season. That will be more than enough for some, who glance down the M27 and shudder, but those of us who are running out of years would prefer a bit of glory instead of an enviable bank balance.
    Just thinking out loud, no doubt the like of CB Fry and Turkish will slaughter me for daring to want more. I am very grateful for the last 7 years but success just makes you want more!
    I agree completely. Well said Fitz


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  25. #25

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kings Heath
    Posts
    366

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fabrice29 View Post
    You might be running out of years but the club isn't. It has to take a long term view and approach of things. Yes we all want some glory and to want that isn't a bad thing. However realistically all we can ever ask from the club is improvement, whether be in terms of league position or with a bit of context where we are as a club. The club has delivered that for the last 7 seasons. I really dont understand the criticism of the club and the way it goes about things. Latheal has posted some very interesting and insightful posts about why we cant go out and spunk loads of money on Bolasie and Benteke and thank **** that is the case. The club is delivering on the pitch every year at the moment, I believe we will get at least one more in but even if we didn't, it will be because the club doesn't think we need it or it was right to do so, and the club has earnt my trust when it comes to those decisions. I'm quite excited by the season, not just because of what we have in store in terms of European football but I quite like the look of the squad myself but I can see why others might not. Personally I think Hoijberg already looks a better player than Wanyama and suits Puel's possesion game better anyway. Redmond is someone the club has been interested for a while and again the club has earn't my trust in that if they rate someone so much then he must be good and certainly I can see the qualities he brings and how we as a club can help him improve. Puel excites me. I get why he might not excite you, but he does me. He's a champions league experienced manager, who has had success in another country and has a good record of young players. I dont give a **** about his interviews being dull but when I listen to them they don't seem dull to me because instead of thinking about how dull he is when I press play, I actually try to listen to and understand what he has to say and he's pretty similar to Koeman and Poch, which makes sense seeing as the club prides itself on being able to easily carry on with different managers.

    I just don't get the meltdown people are feeling. I certainly dont understand how people can criticise the owners and board as they have delivered every year. The management and players have had has had one game so I dont see how people can be on there backs already. I get why people might be greedy and want more but taking a minute to understand how lucky we are, where the club is at and it's restrictions it's working under and what we have in store this season I think will help calm people down.

    Everything is going to be ok. Even if we get battered tonight...which we wont.
    Absolutely spot on.

  26. #26

    Default

    I'm for our current model, and I hope to see our youngsters brought into the first team. Wouldn't it be great to develop an holy Trinity like man u had once, from our academy. Then would be the difficult part of keeping them, maybe that's why we are putting a bit of money away?

    Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

  27. #27

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    stockholm sweden
    Posts
    11,099
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fabrice29 View Post
    You might be running out of years but the club isn't. It has to take a long term view and approach of things. Yes we all want some glory and to want that isn't a bad thing. However realistically all we can ever ask from the club is improvement, whether be in terms of league position or with a bit of context where we are as a club. The club has delivered that for the last 7 seasons. I really dont understand the criticism of the club and the way it goes about things. Latheal has posted some very interesting and insightful posts about why we cant go out and spunk loads of money on Bolasie and Benteke and thank **** that is the case. The club is delivering on the pitch every year at the moment, I believe we will get at least one more in but even if we didn't, it will be because the club doesn't think we need it or it was right to do so, and the club has earnt my trust when it comes to those decisions. I'm quite excited by the season, not just because of what we have in store in terms of European football but I quite like the look of the squad myself but I can see why others might not. Personally I think Hoijberg already looks a better player than Wanyama and suits Puel's possesion game better anyway. Redmond is someone the club has been interested for a while and again the club has earn't my trust in that if they rate someone so much then he must be good and certainly I can see the qualities he brings and how we as a club can help him improve. Puel excites me. I get why he might not excite you, but he does me. He's a champions league experienced manager, who has had success in another country and has a good record of young players. I dont give a **** about his interviews being dull but when I listen to them they don't seem dull to me because instead of thinking about how dull he is when I press play, I actually try to listen to and understand what he has to say and he's pretty similar to Koeman and Poch, which makes sense seeing as the club prides itself on being able to easily carry on with different managers.

    I just don't get the meltdown people are feeling. I certainly dont understand how people can criticise the owners and board as they have delivered every year. The management and players have had has had one game so I dont see how people can be on there backs already. I get why people might be greedy and want more but taking a minute to understand how lucky we are, where the club is at and it's restrictions it's working under and what we have in store this season I think will help calm people down.

    Everything is going to be ok. Even if we get battered tonight...which we wont.

    Nice post, but be careful because putting forward a sane and sensible opinion can get you into trouble with the trolls on here who love to criticise.

    Shame you've only posted 92 times.....be good to see more .

  28. #28

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Swindon
    Posts
    1,863

    Default

    I think that once of the ironies of doing well is it naturally blocks the pathway for all but the stellar products. When we were in our journey from league one, we progressed at a pace that matched our talented cohort. However, once we established ourselves and the trajectory slowed, so the vultures could descend offering Champions League or mucho dinero.

    I really think the approach should be to loan out youth in numbers to clubs in lower leagues and move them up artificially each season. I thought that was the plan with Coventry/Swindon but not sure it is official policy. Either that or administration and League 1 all over again which I don't favoir!

  29. #29

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    stockholm sweden
    Posts
    11,099
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alain Perrin View Post
    I think that once of the ironies of doing well is it naturally blocks the pathway for all but the stellar products. When we were in our journey from league one, we progressed at a pace that matched our talented cohort. However, once we established ourselves and the trajectory slowed, so the vultures could descend offering Champions League or mucho dinero.

    I really think the approach should be to loan out youth in numbers to clubs in lower leagues and move them up artificially each season.

    I thought that was the plan with Coventry/Swindon but not sure it is official policy. Either that or administration and League 1 all over again which I don't favoir!

    Absolutely ! ....a lot of these lads look very good playing youth football, but that's a long way from the Prem. level.

    Noted a comment last season that Chelsea (OK they are a bigger club)....had 32 players out on loan both in Britain and several Euro countries.

    Whilst we are not prepared for loan-outs of that volume, the experience is invaluable and (example) Jack Stephens certainly looks to have benefited from his loans.

    I'll be interested to see how Jason McCarthy develops during his spell at Walsall....as he became a fans favourite at Wycombe in just half-a-season, and (hopefully) we will see an improvement in Sam Gallagher's performances whilst he's at Blackburn.

    Eventually getting one of these into Saints first team squad could save us 10-15 million (or whatever the going rate is) in a few years time.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •